Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

Tesco:
    from today till sunday:

6 bottles of selected wine for 40 Euro. (not a big choise btw, but some bottles in that range are chardonnay 13.5 Vol alc)
    In addition to that 5% off on Wine.

so lone Varadkar!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

kn wrote: »
    I suppose this thread will die when they bring in minimum pricing! ):

There's a very good chance minimum pricing won't be implemented. At the moment it's all riding on the result of an ECJ case between the Scottish government and the Scotch Whisky Association.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In any event- what is more likely to happen- is the cheapest crap simply won't be sold by retailers any longer. Any of the nicer bottles of wine that cost a couple of Euro more- will, in all probability, still be there- at the same price. You won't get any more 6 bottles for 40 deals- if they do deals like this in future- it'll be on the very slightly more expensive wine- and it would likely be 6 bottles for 50- for a better product.

Its an attempt to curb the sale of cheap crap that many people who abuse alcohol depend on- nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

In any event- what is more likely to happen- is the cheapest crap simply won't be sold by retailers any longer. Any of the nicer bottles of wine that cost a couple of Euro more- will, in all probability, still be there- at the same price. You won't get any more 6 bottles for 40 deals- if they do deals like this in future- it'll be on the very slightly more expensive wine- and it would likely be 6 bottles for 50- for a better product.

Its an attempt to curb the sale of cheap crap that many people who abuse alcohol depend on- nothing else.

Varadkar himself has said that it'll mean the end of supermarket €X for X bottles deals. But personally I still think it's unlikely to get anywhere, at least for a while. The ECJ doesn't seem to be in any great hurry to make a ruling, and until they do, manufacturers / supermarkets / Wetherspoons can get an injunction easily stalling the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'm sure I also heard that it won't be implemented until Northern Ireland is in a position to implement it at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If its 60c per unit then a can of Guinness could still be about 1-1.20 a can. It will mean the end of v cheap beer in lidl etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

If it goes through it won't be that low. Dept of Health is looking at a per unit cost of between 90c and 1.10c so between 1.80 and 2.20 for the cheapest can of beer.

Can't see the EU letting it happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 68,131 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The minimum price for tobacco was found to be illegal so I can't see this being any different, realistically. Found to be anti-competitive from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

L1011 wrote: »
    The minimum price for tobacco was found to be illegal so I can't see this being any different, realistically. Found to be anti-competitive from memory.

I noticed that well as 9 countries the EU Commission themselves are opposing the Scots. So with the decision on tobacco (if the health argument was going to trump all then it would have in that case) then minuimum pricing on alcohol looks like a long shot.

kn wrote: »
    I noticed that well as 9 countries the EU Commission themselves are opposing the Scots. So with the decision on tobacco (if the health argument was going to trump all then it would have in that case) then minuimum pricing on alcohol looks like a long shot.

I've a suspicion this is a sop to Roisin Shortall (remember that she resigned over this and the sponsorship) - introduce the law she wanted and didn't get support for, let it get over-ruled by Europe so nothing changes.

• Advertisement

They could always just lob an extra 20-30c a unit onto alcohol duty rates- it would achieve the exact same from a price perspective- though it wouldn't ban the below-cost selling of alcohol as a loss leader..........

Why are they getting their knickers in a twist over it anyway- we're rapidly heading for OECD average alcohol consumption figures- Ireland is not the drinking nation we once were........

I assume minimum cost won't be going to govt but merely the min cost a supplier can sell it at as opposed to duty whereby the retailer gives over more to the Govt

TheDriver wrote: »
    I assume minimum cost won't be going to govt but merely the min cost a supplier can sell it at as opposed to duty whereby the retailer gives over more to the Govt

Yup.
    Lobbing 20c/30c a unit onto the duty- would however go to the government coffers. Personally I'd rather it went to the exchequer and the taxpayer- than Tesco shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

can't help thinking is this just another revenue raising option by the government, how much extra in vat/duty is it likely to raise.

They would be better off giving the courts n guards the resources and laws necessary to deal with drunken or violent behaviour, so that it is a real deterrent to someone if caught once, and will think twice about being reckless the next weekend, would also save our A n E staff a lot of grief n stress and allow them deal with people who really need their help.

But that would make too much sense.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,823 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They could always just lob an extra 20-30c a unit onto alcohol duty rates- it would achieve the exact same from a price perspective- though it wouldn't ban the below-cost selling of alcohol as a loss leader..........

But that would add it on to the price at the pubs.

But that would add it on to the price at the pubs.

Only due to the obscene margins most pubs work on. In rural areas it would though, but that's due to the price difference being minimised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Any actual deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭NinetyForNone

athtrasna wrote: »
    Any actual deals?
    Saw the XXL Perlenbacher 8 for 7.59 in LIDL Ballyowen yesterday, not sure if it's nationwide or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Saw the XXL Perlenbacher 8 for 7.59 in LIDL Ballyowen yesterday, not sure if it's nationwide or not.

4 x 330ml bottles of Leffe Blonde for €5.49 in stock in Lidl Ballyowen this lunchtime.

Lovely beer and typically €8.35 or so in Tesco/Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

In Sligo too. Also 15pk Stella 284ml €9.99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

any specials on cans of Guinness anywhere? cheapest I can see is 8 cans for €13 it's killing me to pay €39 for a slab :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sv have slabs for 28e this weekend.

Guinness, Heineken, carlesberg, the usual

That's good for Feb, maybe they overstocked for Xmas like Dunnes

TheDriver wrote: »
    That's good for Feb, maybe they overstocked for Xmas like Dunnes

no slabs in dunnes today just 8 packs for €13 same in supervalu today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

Saint Omer 1ltr Bottles ... €1 reduced to clear in Tesco Maynooth (maybe other branches too)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Does anyone know of any wine deals or when tesco or dunnes are having the bug 6 bottles and get 25% off?

retalivity wrote: »

how do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

retalivity wrote: »

None in my local sv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Santry also have them. Tempted to pick them up. Not many left, maybe half a pallet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

kc66 wrote: »
    None in my local sv.
    I had got the last 2 slabs of Carlsberg in my local SV, and there are many Budweiser slabs also for 28eur. Dunno about other SV's but here, it was the Christmas ones (packaging with Xmas livery) that they had for 26eur over that period.

SV also had the 8 can packs for a tenner, but now that's up to 13eur again. meh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement