Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quickest way to lose 7lbs...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Shrap wrote: »
    ...Then walk 30mins a day at as fast a pace as you can manage. You'll be doing this right if you get a stitch in your side!...

Low intensity exercise is best for burning fat.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Are you familiar with William Shakespeare's, The merchant of Venice. There's a good method for losing a pound of flesh there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Take up walking, running, cycling and swimming.

Give up alcohol, crisps, sweets, cake etc.

Reduce your calorie intake and make sure you're getting your calories from the right sources, no junk food. Drink 2 litres of water a day. A good breakfast should set you up for the day.

Depending on your starting weight you should lose 7lbs in 2 or 3 weeks. It took me about 10 days last year. I dropped another 11lbs over the next 8 weeks or so and have kept it off since. I intend losing another 10lbs this year but it'll be slow to shift because I'm not really too much overweight now. I've been injured for months, once I become fully active again it'll start to drop off slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Become a meth addict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭Tefral

Macavity. wrote: »
    Become a meth addict.

Become addicted to Ephedrine based medicine!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Winter vomiting bug is great for losing weight.

Influenza too, you lose your appetite and sweat.

I don't put weight on so I rather not lose it, could mean I'm dying if I wanted to be dramatic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

somuj wrote: »
    Not really. Your body will be burning its own fat for energy. No need for the carbs then. Plenty of nutrients in the veg. So long as its not all the time. Won't do a bit of harm. Cutting back on protein and regular fasting has amazing benefits for your body. Some fascinating research been done on it.

I think Michael Mosley did a horizon episode on it a few years ago. Its probably available online.

Load of nonsense. What's going to maintain your muscle mass while you're on this starvation diet? Fitness is as much about body composition as it is the number on the scale.

If the OP wants to lose weight they should eat a balanced diet with minimal crap, eliminate booze and scale back on processed carbohydrates as well as engage in some cardio and resistance exercises.

Eating nothing but broccoli or sprouts for two weeks is simply harmful, faddy nonsense that will lead to the OP piling the weight back on straight afterwards. Sustainable weight loss isn't something you achieve over a couple of weeks by going through extremes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Huh?

All vegetables have fat, protein and carbs.

For example, sprouts have about 0.3% fat, about 3.4% protein and about 9% carbs.

Yes, but not enough to sustain somebody living purely off of green veg for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Eat loads of yokes. You'll dance like a mad thing and won't be able to eat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Kissing and jumping.

Throw in a couple of Hand Jobs and the weight will fall off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Catch norovirus. Worked wonders for me last week. 8 pounds lost and all took was the love of a good virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

FTA69 wrote: »
    Load of nonsense. What's going to maintain your muscle mass while you're on this starvation diet? Fitness is as much about body composition as it is the number on the scale.

If the OP wants to lose weight they should eat a balanced diet with minimal crap, eliminate booze and scale back on processed carbohydrates as well as engage in some cardio and resistance exercises.

Eating nothing but broccoli or sprouts for two weeks is simply harmful, faddy nonsense that will lead to the OP piling the weight back on straight afterwards. Sustainable weight loss isn't something you achieve over a couple of weeks by going through extremes.

So your muscles are gonna atrophy in two weeks???? Nonsense. Op wants to loose weight rapidly for some reason.

And how is eating as much veg as you can starving yourself????

A complete plant based diet is perfectly healthy too. Do research before mouthing off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

So your muscles are gonna atrophy in two weeks???? Nonsense. Op wants to loose weight rapidly for some reason.

And how is eating as much veg as you can starving yourself????

A complete plant based diet is perfectly healthy too. Do research before mouthing off.

You didn't say plant-based only, you said eating only green veg. If you ate nothing but sprouts and spinach for two weeks, that is nowhere near a healthy option and will simply lead to the OP piling it back on. Eating 3kg of green veg (a massive amount) would yield you about 1000 calories if you're lucky, not nearly enough for an adult who is doing some sort of exercise as well. It's a nonsense fad that offers no solution to actual, sustainable weightloss and you'll probably feel like dog-sh*t after a fortnight of no protein and no fats.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

fizzypish wrote: »
    Are you familiar with William Shakespeare's, The merchant of Venice. There's a good method for losing a pound of flesh there!

They want 7lbs not 1. Next you'll be telling OP to avenge your death by killing their uncle. When will the killing end? When?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Buy a nutribullet or a good juicer and just juice green veg and apples for a week. One in the morning, afternoon and lunch - you can basically have as many as you want.
    It will definitely work but the problem is you'll put on most of the weight immediately if you go straight back to your old routine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Ya can loose a stone in 2 weeks by eating only green veg and as much of it as your able. Stuffs you up too. No hunger pangs. Cravings for other food groups tho.

eating green veg only is the worse way. If you are going to fast you need to make sure its protein sparing so you need to be eating lean protein sources e.g. chicken breast, egg whites, etc. Of course you have veg with it for the fiber and micro nutrients.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Put on a heavy sweat suit and sweat the hole off yourself in a sauna like I do every time I need to make weight for a fight.

*Ok I saw it on US MMA drama Kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

A balanced diet and regular exercise. Not binge drinking like a demented lunatic could also work for a lot of Irish people with a bit of weight to lose. I'd also recommend a regular sauna. Really sweats it out of you and great for the mind as well. I'm lucky enough to have a sauna in my apartment, but most decent gyms should have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

For me I'd just have to chop my dick off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

..and the 6.5lb cake it's stuck in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭lau1247

that's a bit extreme, would you not fap more to 'lighten' the load :P:D:pac:

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Hire a belt sander and buzz your way to a thinner you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭KaaaaaaPOW

Its all diet so it is. You can run marathon distances week in week out and not lose a pound till you change what your stuffing your face with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Shrap wrote: »
    Simple diet - take all sugar out of your teas/coffees/breakfast/snacks/drinks. Go low on the "natural" sugars in fruit/juice. Reduce all portion sizes during meals. Then walk 30mins a day at as fast a pace as you can manage. You'll be doing this right if you get a stitch in your side! You could drop 7lb easy (requires willpower...).

A stitch in your side is nothing to do with how fast you walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I think too much focus is given to exercise in these circumstances. Yes, exercise has value - who would deny that - but unless the person trying to lose weight actually understands the types of food they should and should not consume, the whole endeavour is a waste of time.

Some people actually believe all breads and pastas are wholly healthy when, in fact, they pile on a ridiculous amount of calories and should be cut back substantially. It's things like this that make a difference, and not some lame 20 minute exercise session thrice a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

My fitness pal... 7 lbs is 3.5 weeks with discipline.

Lost 4.5 stone in 8 months with it myself and I are whatever I wanted, just kept the calories in check

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

SPM1959 wrote: »
    Probably best in the health and fitness forums but I might get a lecture there! AH is the busiest forum too so will attract more interest.

Need to lose at least 7lbs ASAP. What is the quickest way to do this?

Looking forward to serious and AH responses :)

May I ask why you need to lose 7lbs asap? The only thing I can think of would be for a sporting (boxing, judo) competition where your weight needs to be within certain parameters and if that's the case then surely your trainer would have the best advice, no?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

SPM1959 wrote: »
    Probably best in the health and fitness forums but I might get a lecture there! AH is the busiest forum too so will attract more interest.

Need to lose at least 7lbs ASAP. What is the quickest way to do this?

Looking forward to serious and AH responses :)
    This is boards. Your lecture can come to you.

Apart from the recommendations to remove a body part or eat green leaves (which might work but are a bit antisocial) this comes down to some pretty simple maths. Use more energy than you consume. Lots more. So, you walk, run, jog, lift weights, play soccer, do martial arts,paint your house, swim, take up dog whispering... it doesn't matter as long as you move more than you do now.

And you correct your diet. Vastly. No junk food. No sugary drinks. In fact, no sugar at all. Fresh veg, lean meat, nuts, eggs. Lower the amount of carbs you eat.

But the fastest way to lose weight is not always the best. If you starve yourself completely or go on an extreme diet, youll likely crave things, binge, or become unwell. Too much exercise with a body thats not used to it will lead to injury. And losing weight fast means youll be doing something unsustainable and therefore will gain back the weight as quickly as you lost it.

/lecture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Maybe there's a big party coming up?

You just don't think, do you? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Make a big stew - loads of lean meat, and as many as you can of the following: carrots, onions, garlic, mushrooms, peas, beans, peppers, chickpeas, kidney beans, broccoli, spinach.

Eat small bowls of it for each meal. If you really need something else, make something like wholewheat toast covered with mashed avocado, but try to reduce carbs as much as you can and cut out sugars as much as you can. Drink lots of water.

Have unsalted nuts as a snack. If you still want something sweet, eat some prunes.

That will probably reduce your calorie intake a good bit. Increase your exercise by walking or riding a bike for an hour, or or jogging for 30 minutes.

You should see results pretty quickly. 7 lbs isn't that much, depending on how quickly you need to lose it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Wear a sauna suit for half a day. In a sauna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Cut down what you are eating. Then keep what you are eating small. Cut out chocolates and hidden calories such as in alcohol.
    No use exercising unless you exercise a lot but also control your diet.

Wtf are hidden calories?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Wtf are hidden calories?

Crouching squatter, hidden calories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Wtf are hidden calories?

Pretty much calories you don't account for in your daily diet, like snacks or have an extra portion in your dinner and not taking it into account. Soft drinks and alcohol aswell all add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Just exercise and eat sensibly.....I don't buy into all these fad diets and cutting out of entire food groups. They are neither healthy nor viable in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

Musefan wrote: »

Lost 4.5 stone in 8 months with it myself and I are whatever I wanted, just kept the calories in check

You need to write more about it. ASAP.

Please?

jamesbere wrote: »
    Pretty much calories you don't account for in your daily diet, like snacks or have an extra portion in your dinner and not taking it into account. Soft drinks and alcohol aswell all add up.

Well that's just stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yeah dunno about that. I've lost about 18 pounds since christmas - just by cutting out empty calories. So no crisps, chocolates, biscuits etc. also laid off the booze big time - it's packed with calories.

By doing this I've cut about 1200 to 1500 calories from my diet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

You would be surprised what people would forget to add when calculating their calorie intake, they might of had a couple of biscuits with their tea or one or the pints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Musefan wrote: »

What if what you wanted had lots and lots of calories?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What if what you wanted had lots and lots of calories?

Yeah, those two starements are not easily reconciled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If you take up exercise or increase exercise dramatically, you will likely put on 3-4 pounds in the first week.

Rough science here if you want to lose body mass: 1lb = 3000 kcal.

7lb = 21,000 kcal.

Normal calorie used in one day 2000 kcal.

You would need to consume 0 kcal and increase expenditure by at least 1000 kcal a day to 3000 kcal without increasing exercise.

So it's not possible in any real sense. However you probably hold some weight food in your intestines and water throughout your body. You could only lose that kind of water and food weight in 1 week but you need food and water to live.

Answer; not possible

Edit; I thought OP specified a 1 week time-frame. I re read the OP and it doesn't say anything about 1 week but the principal is that you need to burn 21000 kcal to lose 7 lb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Someone beat me to it by saying 'have a baby'. My friend lost 10.5lbs in one morning!

Seriously though, I'm a big believer in exercising before breakfast. When I say believer, I don't always do it!

I recently started walking the dog for 40 mins 5 days a week before I have eaten anything and I lost half a stone very quickly. Now I have hit 40, it's harder to lose weight so I was impressed that this empty stomach thing seemed to benefit me so much.

I'm doing really well. Today I had an orange for breakfast. Unfortunately it was a Terry's Chocolate Orange. Not joking.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah dunno about that. I've lost about 18 pounds since christmas - just by cutting out empty calories. So no crisps, chocolates, biscuits etc. also laid off the booze big time - it's packed with calories.

By doing this I've cut about 1200 to 1500 calories from my diet

:confused: I'm saying it's stupidity to not know those things have calories.

But to be fair it's not necessarily stupidity. Just ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

To loose 1lb you will need a calorie deficit of around 3500. This is either done through diet and/or exercise. To maintain weight, you should consume you body weight in lbs x 10 ie 200lbs - 2000 cals per day. Anything less is weight loss, anything more is gain.

Personally speaking, best thing to do is cut out bread/ sugar/ sweets/ biscuits / alcohol and fatty foods like crisps. Eat small portions regularly so about 5 - 6 small meals a day. Walking first thing in the morning before you eat, about 40 mins is a great fat burner. Its quite easy to loose 7 lbs in 3 weeks or so if you are serious about it.

Keeping it off is another thing so rather than doing a diet and loosing it quickly, you should make a lifestyle change for the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RoboRat wrote: »
    To maintain weight, you should consume you body weight in lbs x 10 ie 200lbs - 2000 cals per day. Anything less is weight loss, anything more is gain.

Not quite right - that's roughly BMR, or what you'd burn if you just lay in one spot all day and didn't move. A 200lb man would need more than that to maintain weight if he ever gets out of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

As far as weight loss is concerned, I don't think exercise has much to do with it, if you workout hard in the gym for an hour or so you'd probably be lucky to burn 500 calories, depending on your size of course. Though, this will of course make you want to eat more to replace the burned calories. It's all about eating less than you burn, eating 2000 calories and burning 2500 is no different from eating 1500 calories and burning 2000. Depending on why you need to lose the weight quickly, there are some quick fixes, if you increase your water intake, your body will stop holding on to as much water, and will result in a dramatic loss in weight, though, this is of course only water weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Did you try any of the serious diets like the 7 day diet and fat burning soup? How were they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

No disrespect to anyone in particular - but I think it's sad that people are still looking for the 'trick' to losing weight. And sadder still that people think there actually IS a trick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement