Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buildup Thread: Ireland v France, Sat 14th of Febuary

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

6. Player is subsequently diagnosed with "delayed" concussion, misses no matches of consequence.

Just on this point, the official injury report on Murray was a neck injury. The 'delayed concussion' report was not an official medical report apparently.

I'm not championing this, just pointing out what was officially reported at the time

Edit: Please ignore this. Apparently we're talking about different incidents

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not implying anything. Just pointing out that when you look at all the facts, facts that are not in dispute, it doesn't look great.

Edit: I'll spell out those facts and then I'm done.
    1. Team is defending narrow lead in closing stages.
    2. Star player takes heavy knock to back of head.
    3. Player is removed.
    4. Player returns FOUR MINUTES later. That's four minutes absence in total so maybe 2-3 minutes of assessment?
    5. Team wins match.
    6. Player is subsequently diagnosed with "delayed" concussion, misses no matches of consequence.

I think if the above was describing any other country or foreign club, we'd be scratching our heads about it.

Yes he was assessed by a doctor but so was Florian Fritz, so was George Smith against the Lions, so were many others.

Barry O'Driscoll resigned from IRB because he felt five minutes wasn't enough to check for concussion. Murray didn't get near that.

Judge yourself, I would have doubts.

Do you accept that Murray was medically assessed?

Do you think a professional medic (who, ultimately can be held responsible for a players welfare) will be influenced by the team manager or by time constraints?

Murray's incident happened during an Autumn International. I think Joe of all managers would be very slow to rush a player back onto the field of play regardless of the importance of a game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

phog wrote: »
    Do you accept that Murray was medically assessed?
    It's clearly stated in my post that he was.
    Do you think a professional medic (who, ultimately can be held responsible for a players welfare) will be influenced by the team manager or by time constraints?

You watch this and you tell me. French for doctor is "médecin", btw, you'll see plenty of them in this clip.

Murray's incident happened during an Autumn International. I think Joe of all managers would be very slow to rush a player back onto the field of play regardless of the importance of a game

I didn't make any accusations about Joe or anyone else. The facts are there and they are not in dispute, people can draw their own conclusions.

It's clearly stated in my post that he was.

You watch this and you tell me. French for doctor is "médecin", btw, you'll see plenty of them in this clip.

I didn't make any accusations about Joe or anyone else. The facts are there and they are not in dispute, people can draw their own conclusions.

What conclusions have you drawn about Murray's assessment? Be very specific in what you say, don't hide behind innuendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Most of this "assessed by a doctor" thing is tripe. There are two incontrovertibles when it comes to concussions.

1. If you have lost consciousness as a result of a blow to the head you are concussed.

2. Directly after a concussion the head must be rested, as failure to do risks exacerbating the injury.

In every single occasion where a player has lost consciousness but has been allowed to take further part in the match, the team's management has placed the team's results ahead of the player's welfare. End of story.

If Joe has ever permitted that of one of his players then he is as guilty as any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

wittycynic wrote: »
    Most of this "assessed by a doctor" thing is tripe. There are two incontrovertibles when it comes to concussions.

1. If you have lost consciousness as a result of a blow to the head you are concussed.

2. Directly after a concussion the head must be rested, as failure to do risks exacerbating the injury.

In every single occasion where a player has lost consciousness but has been allowed to take further part in the match, the team's management has placed the team's results ahead of the player's welfare. End of story.

If Joe has ever permitted that of one of his players then he is as guilty as any of them.

The only thing i'll say here is, has any manager ever taken a player off the field of play even if the pitch side doc has cleared them to play on?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is this actually true? I thought the connection was not so clear?

Podge_irl wrote: »

I think I read somewhere recently that you don't necessarily have to lose consciousness to be concussed. However, I'm not sure if you lose consciousness from a knock to the head that you're also concussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

This is hardly in question is it ?

Clearly professional medics are influenced by team managers and the general pressure for the team to perform.

If they werent, there would be no issue here. Its not as if concussion, its dangers, and diagnosis are not well understood. There wouldnt be medical doctors resigning from from boards due to disagreements on its handling. Stories of players 'rigging' the baseline tests. RTP 'protocols'. If they were serious about it, and assuming there was an honest error in not hauling off North because the didnt see it (make up your own mind on that one), then erring on the side of safety, having been knocked unconscious twice in one game - and allowed to play on ! - he would already have been ruled out of playing this coming weekend. But he isnt. Yet anyway. Because there are people interested in getting him on the pitch rather than having his welfare paramount.

Clearly professional medics are influenced by team managers and the general pressure for the team to perform.

If they werent, there would be no issue here. Its not as if concussion, its dangers, and diagnosis are not well understood. There wouldnt be medical doctors resigning from from boards due to disagreements on its handling. Stories of players 'rigging' the baseline tests. RTP 'protocols'. If they were serious about it, and assuming there was an honest error in not hauling off North because the didnt see it (make up your own mind on that one), then erring on the side of safety, having been knocked unconscious twice in one game - and allowed to play on ! - he would already have been ruled out of playing this coming weekend. But he isnt. Yet anyway. Because there are people interested in getting him on the pitch rather than having his welfare paramount.

Yes it is, very much so.

I'd be fairly sure a doctor could be struck off for knowingly putting a patient at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think I read somewhere recently that you don't necessarily have to lose consciousness to be concussed. However, I'm not sure if you lose consciousness from a knock to the head that you're also concussed.

Yeah that was roughly what I thought as well. But I'll willingly admit I (obviously) don't really know.

And yes medics obviously come under influence because they are human beings and they are employed by their teams. Whether the influence is subtle or overt it obviously happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes it is, very much so.

I'd be fairly sure a doctor could be struck off for knowingly putting a patient at risk.

Well first it's hard to catch them, and secondly they get away with it at times as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/aug/31/dr-chapman-harlequins-leinster-tom-williams

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Podge_irl wrote: »

Yes, although the exact reasons for loss of consciousness from head injury are not completely understood we do know that it stems from impact on the brain severe enough to interrupt normal cellular functioning.

Where confusion arises is that it is possible to be concussed but not lose consciousness. In fact, this accounts for the majority of concussions.

Many neurologists will actually recommend going to the emergency room if you have suffered a head injury where you have lost consciousness as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

What conclusions have you drawn about Murray's assessment? Be very specific in what you say, don't hide behind innuendo.

My conclusion is partly that three minutes is not enough to assess a concussion, but mainly that this is the Ireland v France preview thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Was it dom ryan knocked out recently and taken off permanently very early in a game. I think nigel owens was ref and he changed a decision from penalty to scrum.

And i remember last year the leinster doc ran on and removed jennings from a scrum just as the ref started the engagement sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

Yes, although the exact reasons for loss of consciousness from head injury are not completely understood we do know that it stems from impact on the brain severe enough to interrupt normal cellular functioning.

Where confusion arises is that it is possible to be concussed but not lose consciousness. In fact, this accounts for the majority of concussions.

Many neurologists will actually recommend going to the emergency room if you have suffered a head injury where you have lost consciousness as a result.

This all over. This is what paves the way for the potentially lethal damage. Your brain still reacts to any significant knock, even if you aren't knocked out or suffer no cognitive damage. It can swell up in the effected area like a normal response to any soft tissue in the human body, which if is repeated with a second blow of any sort can lead to rapid swelling and the infamous second impact syndrome.

Players put too much into the game, if you get knocked on the head don't be a hero, get off the damn field.

Well first it's hard to catch them, and secondly they get away with it at times as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/aug/31/dr-chapman-harlequins-leinster-tom-williams

Bloodgate? Hardly putting a patient at risk.
    My conclusion is partly that three minutes is not enough to assess a concussion, but mainly that this is the Ireland v France preview thread.

More innuendo.

aimee1 wrote: »
    Was it dom ryan knocked out recently and taken off permanently very early in a game. I think nigel owens was ref and he changed a decision from penalty to scrum.

And i remember last year the leinster doc ran on and removed jennings from a scrum just as the ref started the engagement sequence.

Munster v Leinster on St Stephen's Day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Folks, there was a recent thread started on concussion here, which is a more relevant place for this discussion. Ireland-France buildup posts here please, anything concussion-related please use the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm gonna put my neck on the line and say there'll be a few changes to the lineup this Saturday despite the fact Joe rarely changes the starting XV unless there's injury.

After the game he cited the lack of leadership on the field, and lack of experience. So I wouldbt be surprised to see a few surprising picks and injured players straight back into the fold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I reckon we'll see:

McGrath Best Ross
    Toner POC
    POM Heaslip TOD

Murray Sexton
    Henshaw Payne
    Zebo Kearney Bowe

Cronin, Healy, Moore, Henderson, SOB, Reddan, Madigan, Fitzgerald

And if we do I'll be a very happy man!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Shero1985

molloyjh wrote: »
    I reckon we'll see:

McGrath Best Ross
    Toner POC
    POM Heaslip TOD

Murray Sexton
    Henshaw Payne
    Zebo Kearney Bowe

Cronin, Healy, Moore, Henderson, SOB, Reddan, Fitzgerald

And if we do I'll be a very happy man!

Not enough subs.

I don't see any basis upon which Fitz will dispose of Jones on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Shero1985 wrote: »
    Not enough subs.

I don't see any basis upon which Fitz will dispose of Jones on the bench.

Being better and more versatile would do it I would think. No offence to Jones who is in great form at the moment, but Fitz is one of a small handful of players that we have that are top class.

Also added Mads as I forgot the 22 spot. Keatley could well be selected either but again versatility would suggest it could be Mads. I wouldn't mind either way though. If Sexton were to come off early I'd rather Keatley myself.

Being better and more versatile would do it I would think. No offence to Jones who is in great form at the moment, but Fitz is one of a small handful of players that we have that are top class.

But if Joe agreed, why wouldn't he have went that way versus Italy.

But if Joe agreed, why wouldn't he have went that way versus Italy?

Joe wasn't too worried about versatility last week when he went with Jones on the bench. Keatley is about as versatile as Madigan and Joe has seemed to have given Keatley the nod as head of Madigan.

I think he'll stick with Keatley with Sexton starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Keatley is about as versatile as Madigan.

You don't honestly believe this do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Keatley is in the same situation as Paddy - starts ahead of Madigan if Sexton is out but is left out if Sexton is fit, Madigan stays on the bench regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I haven't been reading much of the post-game stuff either on any message boards or in the media but I thought Keatley had a fairly poor game overall, especially in the first half. Can't see how he put his hand up to stay in the squad.

• Advertisement

I was pleasantly surprised with Keatley this week. A few decent kicks to space (along with a few bad ones) and far better running game than usual. Kicking from the tee was immaculate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement