Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buildup Thread: Ireland v France, Sat 14th of Febuary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

.ak wrote: »
    Yep, hopefully however the silver lining will come out here - what are the policies here, and were they adhered to, and if so what went wrong? If he was concussed at the time he'll still be showing signs so it's not like they can cover it up.

Presumably an independent doctor should be investigating ANY possible concussions. Also the ref needs to step in if he feels a player's welfare isn't being looked after. I've seen refs at senior and junior level send people off the field after taking knocks.

Yes, the ref should step in too, but to be fair, the ref has a lot to do in a 6N match (any match for that matter), so we certainly can't depend on him. This North business is a bit sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

vienne86 wrote: »
    Yes, the ref should step in too, but to be fair, the ref has a lot to do in a 6N match (any match for that matter), so we certainly can't depend on him. This North business is a bit sickening.

Nothing really to do with the France game, but I'm not sure Ireland are completely innocent in this regard either or that Wales are any worse than the rest.

Sexton is forever getting bangs on the head, but it took the Top 14 to actually force him to take a proper rest. Murray vs Australia was another particularly questionable one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Nothing really to do with the France game, but I'm not sure Ireland are completely innocent in this regard either or that Wales are any worse than the rest.

Sexton is forever getting bangs on the head, but it took the Top 14 to actually force him to take a proper rest. Murray vs Australia was another particularly questionable one.

murray was taken off when the video footage was viewed on the touchline, just before he was about to feed into a scrum .

aimee1 wrote: »
    murray was taken off when the video footage was viewed on the touchline, just before he was about to feed into a scrum .

Yeah, but they got him back on the pitch in double-quick time, only for it to be revealed he had "delayed" concussion a couple of days later. It didn't sit well with me tbh.

Anyway, back to the actual thread topic:
    http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/ireland-had-an-absolute-bounty-of-positive-injury-news-today/12724

Healy, Kearney and Reddan all trained today, as well as Sexton and Heaslip.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, but they got him back on the pitch in double-quick time, only for it to be revealed he had "delayed" concussion a couple of days later. It didn't sit well with me tbh.

Anyway, back to the actual thread topic:
    http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/ireland-had-an-absolute-bounty-of-positive-injury-news-today/12724

Healy, Kearney and Reddan all trained today, as well as Sexton and Heaslip.

Happy days. If SOB trains it'll make my week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

If Healy is brought straight back in I'd take it as a case of the coaching staff been concerned by Cronins scrummaging when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

So RTE reporting SOB, Healy, Best, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton and D Kearney all good to go and will train fully tomorrow.

Heaslip and Sexton to go straight back in with Reddan on to bench.

Seems highly probable SOB will be involved on Saturday....start or bench? Not sure.

I'd be surprised if Healy went straight back.....he'd surely be very rusty.

Can't see D Kearney being involved.

No word on Rhys Ruddock although he's expected to play for Leinster on Sunday. For me, I'd like to see Healy, Ruddock and D Kearney get a run out with Leinster on Sunday and again the following Friday v Zebre. That should have Healy and Ruddock back up to speed for an ultra physical game with England. Keith Earls should probably play with Munster and Marmion and White to go back to Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

S12b wrote: »
    So RTE reporting SOB, Healy, Best, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton and D Kearney all good to go and will train fully tomorrow.

Seems highly probable SOB will be involved on Saturday....start or bench? Not sure.

No word on Rhys Ruddock although he's expected to play for Leinster on Sunday. For me, I'd like to see Healy, Ruddock and D Kearney get a run out with Leinster on Sunday and again the following Friday v Zebre. That should have Healy and Ruddock back up to speed for an ultra physical game with England. Keith Earls should probably play with Munster and Marmion and White to go back to Connacht.

Boomin' marvellous news. Healy and SOB to be sprung from the bench against an unsuspecting, tiring French 8. Bring it on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

S12b wrote: »

Could be looking at

15 Kearney
    14 Bowe
    13 Payne
    12 Henshaw
    11 Zebo
    10 Sexton
    9 Murray
    1 McGrath
    2 Best
    3 Ross
    4 Toner
    5 O'Connell
    6 O'Mahony
    7 O'Donnell/Murphy
    8 Heaslip

16 Cronin
    17 Healy
    18 Moore
    19 Henderson
    20 O'Brien
    21 Reddan
    22 Madigan
    23 Jones

Not bad at all, imagine Cronin, Healy, Henderson and O'Brien being unleashed in the final quarter. That is serious beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

bilston wrote: »
    Not bad at all, imagine Cronin, Healy, Henderson and O'Brien being unleashed in the final quarter. That is serious beef.

That would be some beast of a bench if all fit.

In terms of tactics, Joe doesn't have to look any further than:

1st phase - SOB
    2nd phase - Healy
    3rd phase - Henderson
    4th phase - Cronin
    5th phase - TRY

...and repeat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sangre wrote: »
    That would be some beast of a bench if all fit.

In terms of tactics, Joe doesn't have to look any further than:

1st phase - SOB
    2nd phase - Healy
    3rd phase - Henderson
    4th phase - Cronin
    5th phase - TRY

...and repeat

First three so rotate among them so that the stats don't look bad always taking first phase ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Boomin' marvellous news. Healy and SOB to be sprung from the bench against an unsuspecting, tiring French 8. Bring it on!!

Just thinking about the Q's of is it better to start these lads or bench them? I believe that Healy game day prep is very "full on". Supposed to be like a time bomb. Not used to sitting on the bench. Hes obviously 100% good to go but not match sharp....mmm I wonder. I think I would start Healy.
    O'Brien im not so sure. Dusatoir, LeRoux and Chouly are a good unit. Can Murphy or TOD stand toe to toe with Dusatoir and LeRoux? Its a big ask of them but I think having JH back will be a huge help and he will be in the trenches with POM against those lads.
    Dusatoir, LeRoux and Chouly practically played the full 80 on Sat and SOB is prob that bit too rusty to go to war against them from the off. I think he will bench. At the very least hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I truly hate playing the French, no matter the situation. They always play well against us, they seem to raise their game. I fully expect a war at the weekend. Wouldn't be surprised if we are on the wrong side of a tight game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

shuffol wrote: »
    If Healy is brought straight back in I'd take it as a case of the coaching staff been concerned by Cronins scrummaging when he came on.

I was surprised just how much Cronin struggled, honestly either Healy benches or McGrath has to play 80 minutes, the French will be another big step up again, I can definitely see them throwing Healy straight in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Tox56 wrote: »
    I was surprised just how much Cronin struggled, honestly either Healy benches or McGrath has to play 80 minutes, the French will be another big step up again, I can definitely see them throwing Healy straight in

michael-bent-beard-training-patricks-day-mar14.jpg

I'm sort of joking, but Cronin really got pushed around, maybe it's time to bring Bent into the Irish setup the right way

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I truly hate playing the French, no matter the situation. They always play well against us, they seem to raise their game. I fully expect a war at the weekend. Wouldn't be surprised if we are on the wrong side of a tight game.

Hey man, everyone raises their game against the champs :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think the Irish management hardled Murray a lot better than how Wales dealt with North's 2nd concussion. Murray was hauled ashore and assessed before being allowed back to the field of play. I'd have been happy to see Wales do similar with North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

phog wrote: »
    I think the Irish management hardled Murray a lot better than how Wales dealt with North's 2nd concussion. Murray was hauled ashore and assessed before being allowed back to the field of play. I'd have been happy to see Wales do similar with North.

Dr Barry O'Driscoll was on BBC on sat morning. He said North was knocked out twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

aimee1 wrote: »
    Dr Barry O'Driscoll was on BBC on sat morning. He said North was knocked out twice
    I don't think anyone is arguing to the contrary. You can always tell by the arms when a guy keels over with the lights out, they never move to protect against the fall.

I'm not comparing the two though. Each on its own merits looks very dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not comparing the two though. Each on its own merits looks very dodgy.

Dodgy? Murray was almost certainly medically assessed. Are you at the very least implying the medics didn't take due care of Murray?

Mick Kearney:

“Sean O’Brien had an MRI scan last night which confirmed a hamstring strain on the minor end of the scale. He is feeling good and we are hopeful that he will train with the squad tomorrow”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-hope-to-have-six-of-the-best-back-for-france-1.2097015

Hmmm. Looked worse than that when he went down but sure happy days if he's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Expected 23 for France game:

1. McGrath
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. Toner
    5. POC
    6. POM
    7. SOB (will be rusty, but the gap between him and the alternatives is too big to leave him out)
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton (ditto for Sexton)
    11. Zebo (will be defending against Huget so I don't think Joe would want to replace him with a smaller winger)
    12. Henshaw
    13. Payne
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney

16. Cronin
    17. Healy (too many recent returners already in the starting line-up and isn't as far ahead of the alternative as SOB or Heaslip)
    18. Moore
    19. Henderson
    20. Murphy (is clearly ahead of TOD in the pecking order)
    21. Reddan (just back from injury but Boss is diabolical)
    22. Keatley (with Sexton just back from injury he may have to come ashore earlier than Joe would like, Keatley might be favoured here for that reason)
    23. Jones (didn't understand this one at the weekend but cant see why Joe would change his mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Don't think sob will be risked just like heaslip last week. He'll get a run out for leinster then good to go for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

When will we know if anyone's released for the provinces?

Dodgy? Murray was almost certainly medically assessed. Are you at the very least implying the medics didn't take due care of Murray?

I'm not implying anything. Just pointing out that when you look at all the facts, facts that are not in dispute, it doesn't look great.

Edit: I'll spell out those facts and then I'm done.
    1. Team is defending narrow lead in closing stages.
    2. Star player takes heavy knock to back of head.
    3. Player is removed.
    4. Player returns FOUR MINUTES later. That's four minutes absence in total so maybe 2-3 minutes of assessment?
    5. Team wins match.
    6. Player is subsequently diagnosed with "delayed" concussion, misses no matches of consequence.

I think if the above was describing any other country or foreign club, we'd be scratching our heads about it.

Yes he was assessed by a doctor but so was Florian Fritz, so was George Smith against the Lions, so were many others.

Barry O'Driscoll resigned from IRB because he felt five minutes wasn't enough to check for concussion. Murray didn't get near that.

Judge yourself, I would have doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I'm not implying anything. Just pointing out that when you look at all the facts, facts that are not in dispute, it doesn't look great.

Care to explain?

Care to explain?

See edit above.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

.ak wrote: »
    When will we know if anyone's released for the provinces?

Probably not until the provincial sides are named (Thurs/FRI), by when we should know the Irish 23. The interesting one will be who the 24th and 25th men will be because obviously they won't be released back to their provinces.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Probably not until the provincial sides are named (Thurs/FRI), by when we should know the Irish 23. The interesting one will be who the 24th and 25th men will be because obviously they won't be released back to their provinces.

Leinster only playing on Sunday helps, eg Fitz and McCarthy could be 24th man and still get game time, or Kearney, Ryan etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement