Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    What do folk think about the proposed location for the Killarney Music and Food festival?

http://www.killarneytoday.com/festival-goes-mad-after-half-moon/

Not sure I like the idea of using the National Park for a concert like this.

Anyone know where the Killarney National Park Liaison Group meeting is being held?

Why not the stadium? Fantastic facilities up there now. Liaison group meet in the malton afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

dobman88 wrote: »
    Why not the stadium? Fantastic facilities up there now. Liaison group meet in the malton afaik.
    I have to agree.. There are many other green areas available to the festival promoters who ever they may be. But I think the fact the business people are happy with the proposed festival, and the money it will bring to this town .I fear this proposal will be accepted
    I have to wonder who has the best interest in this town, its people, and our national park and wild life..
    I do agree with the festival but as a native of Killarney I do not agree with the proposed location.
    The national park is owned by the people of Ireland and not just businesses of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

Folks, can anyone recommend a wedding videographer in or around the Killarney area? Cheers!

cottager83 wrote: »
    Folks, can anyone recommend a wedding videographer in or around the Killarney area? Cheers!

Check out Paudie Healy at Evoque Photography. I'm sure he would be able to recommend a good videographer if he doesn't do it. He's relatively new but absolutely top class.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=441020625993968&tsid=0.5226768588181585&source=typeahead

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I don't think the stadium would work,remember that it is a festival and not a concert. Fitzgerald stadium is too small to handle multiple stages, caterving vans, other entertainment etc. Plus people wouldn't be able to freely walk around inside in the stadium.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    I don't think the stadium would work,remember that it is a festival and not a concert. Fitzgerald stadium is too small to handle multiple stages, caterving vans, other entertainment etc. Plus people wouldn't be able to freely walk around inside in the stadium.

Thr field they are talking about having it in isn't bigger than the stadium! It's the field across form the Cathedral afaik, next to the playground. It used to be used as a soccer and GAA pitch.

At least I think that's the place they are on about having it. I could be way off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Could someone recommend self catering accommodation in Killarney, have looked at Killarney holiday village and the glen eagle but they're booked on the days I want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Thr field they are talking about having it in isn't bigger than the stadium! It's the field across form the Cathedral afaik, next to the playground. It used to be used as a soccer and GAA pitch.

At least I think that's the place they are on about having it. I could be way off though.

It's strange that they will let this take place in the national park. Yet when suggestions like creating mountainbiking trails in the park which has the potential to be the best mtb location in Ireland and the UK, the powers that be would run a mile. The festival would cause a way more damage and in the long term bring in far less money than a recognised mountainbiking trail centre. The trails in Ballyhoura bring in over a million a year in adventure tourism to a region that doesn't have anything like the amenities that Killarney has. Sometimes it's a frustrating country :rolleyes:

Could someone recommend self catering accommodation in Killarney, have looked at Killarney holiday village and the glen eagle but they're booked on the days I want

What's on in town on your dates? There are certain things that book out 12 months in advance to return guests like The Rally, Bike Fest, Ring of Kerry cycle etc. I stayed in the Rookery Mews apartments before when there wqs work being done on my house. Owned by a lovely family who literally couldn't have done more for us. They look old in the pics but they are top class imo http://www.killarney-selfcatering.com

Could try the malton too but you'd pay an arm and a leg for there. There's also Park Place although I've never stayed so can't comment http://www.parkplacekillarney.com

Well the ground around there would be considerabley bigger than the actual playing pitch, I know you have the terraces etc but they aren't really suited for a festival. Still seems kinda small though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well the Dept of Heritage et al is seeking further info regarding our National Park and the impact this 2-day event could have on it.

Read more here.

Some Positive News imo that they're doing their job. Should any damage be done but the Dept. has given the all clear I'd imagine words would be had.

No final decision yet anywhoo,
    kerry4sam

Should the National Park be used for a commercial venture..
    That is the big question?, and if this festival gets permission to use the park, what protection or guarantee that another commercial event will not be requested..
    So much for Killarney chambers of Tourism and Commerce..drop the Tourism title.

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Should the National Park be used for a commercial venture..
    That is the big question?, and if this festival gets permission to use the park, what protection or guarantee that another commercial event will not be requested..
    So much for Killarney chambers of Tourism and Commerce..drop the Tourism title.
    Is the festival itself not a way of getting more tourists to Killarney?

Indeed this festival will attract people to the town but at what cost to the national park.. And what guarantee is in place to protect this beautiful area..
    Why choose the Park.. And why was Hegartys field rejected..Was the race course even considered..
    I am in favour of a festival but I don't think it is appropriate it being held in our National Park..

Indeed this festival will attract people to the town but at what cost to the national park.. And what guarantee is in place to protect this beautiful area..
    Why choose the Park.. And why was Hegartys field rejected..Was the race course even considered..
    I am in favour of a festival but I don't think it is appropriate it being held in our National Park..

Tbf, it's on the very edge of the park in a very public area beside a busy public road. It's not like they're having it in a remote part of the park where the wildlife and habitats would be disrupted.

Fwiw, I agree with you that the racecourse or similar would be better but I presume they're trying to keep it as central as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Getting more tourists into Killarney was also mentioned as the reason when it was proposed to take land from the National Park for a golf course about 20 years ago. Thank God that never went ahead.

Glad to see the Dept doing their job. Probably under pressure after the Skellig Fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

That's the field where I bring my dog for a run!

I don't like the idea of it going into the national park at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

here's an Irish Times article on how some of the smaller musical acts are being booked for the Festival of Food & Music.

iambrazil wrote: »
    here's an Irish Times article on how some of the smaller musical acts are being booked for the Festival of Food & Music.

Just saw that. Absolute disgrace! I have some mates in a band called Valerra and they were told to sell 100 tickets if they wanted to.play the small stage during the day when nobody would be around. This "festival" sounds like an absolute sham now. Could learn a lot from Bike Fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Killarney Chamber of Commerce* covering themselves in glory once again. It's all about the cash with them, regardless of the PR or impact of having a 2 day gig in the national park.

*or 'Killarney Chamber of Tourism and Commerce' by its official propagandistic title, but we all know it's about the commerce not the tourism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Killarney Chamber of Commerce* covering themselves in glory once again. It's all about the cash with them, regardless of the PR or impact of having a 2 day gig in the national park.

Am I missing something here..... what exactly is the problem???

Its an empty field..... I am sure all concerned are getting their palms rubbed with few Euro including the National Park. Bike-Fest is good for town and am sure that this will bring a good element as well. Hardly going to cause permanent psychological damage to the deer population.

The field is probably covered in dog-**** as it stands.. and that worse!

Masala wrote: »
    Am I missing something here..... what exactly is the problem???

Its an empty field..... I am sure all concerned are getting their palms rubbed with few Euro including the National Park. Bike-Fest is good for town and am sure that this will bring a good element as well. Hardly going to cause permanent psychological damage to the dear population.

The field is probably covered in dog-**** as it stands.. and that worse!

How do you know the impact this will have on the dear [sic] population? The national park is not suitable for a music festival, it is a national wildlife park.

Not sure why you brought bike fest into this. It's a non-point.

How do you know the impact this will have on the dear [sic] population? The national park is not suitable for a music festival, it is a national wildlife park.

Not sure why you brought bike fest into this. It's a non-point.

So....what exactly is the problem??

The national park is a tourist attraction and also a place where locals treasure , it has never been used for a commercial venture..as this is clearly what this festival is.. (Moved from Westport due to financial woos).
    What long term benefit would this bring to the people of Killarney, and why not locate this event in areas suggested..

The national park is a tourist attraction and also a place where locals treasure , it has never been used for a commercial venture..as this is clearly what this festival is.. (Moved from Westport due to financial woos).
    What long term benefit would this bring to the people of Killarney, and why not locate this event in areas suggested..

First of all... what does any festival bring to Killarney 'long-term'?? What does the Munster Final bring to Killarney....??? This festivals brings the same as other festivals... people to fill the B&B's,people to eat in the restaurants, people to use the Garveys and Taxis, people to shop in the shops. In effect.. they bring plenty of money to spend in the town!

As to no commercial uses of the National Park....there has been Marquees in Muckross House holding private events. Ross Castle was closed recently for a private event....

And what part of that proposed field is a Tourist Attraction??? The poster above says she runs her dogs around it.

Masala wrote: »
    So....what exactly is the problem??

Right I see you need some help here: my point is that the National Park is not a suitable venue for a music festival. Is that sufficiently clear enough for you?

Right I see you need some help here: my point is that the National Park is not a suitable venue for a music festival. Is that sufficiently clear enough for you?

... ya... explain it to me like I'm a 6 year old??? the question again is 'Why is it not suitable'??? Never mind a simple reply '...cos its not'. I guess it's not clear enough for me.....

This is not just an empty field. This proposed festival area is protected by the Dept of Heritage and Environment, for the sake of our flora and fauna.
    What facilities are in place for a festival of this size to take place in such an area, and what protection measures are taken to protect our heritage and environment
    As for the Munster final taking place in Killarney every second year it is played in a designated area especially for such an event.
    As suggested there are other areas in this town for such a festival to take place, the national park is not one of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Some feedback the festival have received on their pay-to-play scheme

Seriously disingenuous statement by the organisers here from what I can see

https://www.facebook.com/WestportFestivalOfMusicAndPerformingArts/posts/850301158363050

A weekend ticket for an adult is €82.10 for a one day ticket and a €148.10 for a two day ticket when the booking fee in included, especially compared to the price of other festivals. At these price the tickets looks seriously poor value for the lineup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Also I thought this article relating to the growth in the number of tourists coming to Killarney to see the deer (especially in rutting season) is very relevant.

Having met some folk last October who were in Killarney to see the deer I definitely think it's something that should be encouraged a lot more. These tourists were very environmentally conscious and were here in the off-season/quiet period and didn't particularly care about poor weather.

I think huge numbers of locals don't even realise how close the wildlife, especially the deer, get to the centre of town.

http://www.killarneytoday.com/oh-deer-major-rutting-spin-off/

Advertisement