Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    I think it's the pay as you please place

You are correct. My better half informed me we walked past it just before I posted. I don't take much notice of the names though!

Is it still a PAYP?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Changed name from Payp to Dyne last year, menu now with price list but still good value,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Is Muckross road going to be closed for the protest?

Just drove back in from Muckross there, a lot of Garda presence so I wouldn't be surprised if the road is temporarily closed for a short while. Can hear them marching in town at the moment.

I'm in Dublin for the weekend with my OH and we rang her Dad who is at the protest. My god, the noise down the phone was like something you'd hear on Munster final day!! Hope the weather stays clear for all involved.

Reported on Kerry radio stating that attendance a lot lower than expected.. Estimated 500 marching..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

All they was cause hassle and inconvenience for locals. Pointless protest

I have to disagree, previous to demonstrations, Irish water required your PPS number plus water charges were set at over e270,
    Since the voice of the people were heard, concessions were made and the government has assured us that Irish water rates will remain until 2018 plus no PPS required and a sweetener of e100 for registering with Irish water..so I think a lot has to be said for the voice of the people, Killarney has only held two protest march's, and as for disturbance to locals, I feel they were kept to a minimum, and maybe if politicians listened to the people these protest would not be necessary..

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    I have to disagree, previous to demonstrations, Irish water required your PPS number plus water charges were set at over e270,
    Since the voice of the people were heard, concessions were made and the government has assured us that Irish water rates will remain until 2018 plus no PPS required and a sweetener of e100 for registering with Irish water..so I think a lot has to be said for the voice of the people, Killarney has only held two protest march's, and as for disturbance to locals, I feel they were kept to a minimum, and maybe if politicians listened to the people these protest would not be necessary..

And what is your opinion on the protesters today banging the windows of the restaurant in the Gleneagle while the Labour members were having dinner?? They turned into a mob. I am all for peaceful protests and I would have been there today if I wasn't away for the weekend. But there is no need for behaviour like that. It's jist thuggish.

I have to agree, they certainly was no need for such thuggish behaviour, I personally did not witness it but I think behaviour such as this takes away the attention and issue of the protest, and the focus is on the negative,
    Whatever the outcome of all these protest I feel the government has come to the realisation that its citizens have had enough.. Between property tax, Irish water, and taxes, cost of living, etc..
    Awaiting the election promises.

Halo Kitty wrote: »

You are as entitled to your opinion as i am to my opposite one.

However IW is still here and here to stay. I'm glad it is as the infrastructure needs upgrading to protect the resource and the only way to do that is by investment.

Don't bother with the 'water is a human right' bull**** (its not, neither is food), nor the 'we already pay' (you don't, thats maintenance of old **** system). A progressive tax system on it ****s me and doesn't charge the users, so dickheads like Derek 'hungerstrikeronlybetweenmeals' Byrne never pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

Axel. don't waste your time attempting to get these egg heads to see logic and common sense.
    We'd have some outfit of a nation if these clowns were running the show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

wackokid wrote: »
    Axel. don't waste your time attempting to get these egg heads to see logic and common sense.
    We'd have some outfit of a nation if these clowns were running the show.

Ya. Because the country was brilliant when the FF/FG crooks were running it!

Ya. Because the country was brilliant when the FF/FG crooks were running it!

FF & FG were never, to the best of my knowledge, running the country together, therefore your arguement is invalid and incorrect.

<snip> not appropriate - MOD

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Please refrain from political arguments here, its not the thread for it. Go to the Political thread if you want to 'debate'. Mod

Oh the Fianna fail crooks and blue shirt stickies are rattled. There must be a lot of posters here, looking for planning permission.

Oh the Fianna fail crooks and blue shirt stickies are rattled. There must be a lot of posters here, looking for planning permission.

Incorrect again. But don't let facts get in the way of your propaganda. <snip> again not appropriate. Please stop. MOD

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Incorrect again. But don't let facts get in the way of your propaganda. Liam Adams.

Someone's been hitting the Sherry hard at the labour conference!

Someone's been hitting the Sherry hard at the labour conference!

Incorrect again, not a Labour person. But never let facts get in the way of your rabble propaganda. <snip> Do not post this again MOD

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

OK enough, please stop this sniping, its not the Political forum, its the Killarney thread. Please drop it now.
    Axel Lamp, please do not post again with the comments & names you keep using, it won't be tolerated. MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

And now to something completely different !!!!

Looking to do some hill walking, maybe even progress to climbing in due course, fitness permitting. Looking for advice on where to buy a pair of boots that won't cost a complete fortune. Or is it best to spend a fortune now and get years of value from them ?Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Radio5 wrote: »
    And now to something completely different !!!!

Looking to do some hill walking, maybe even progress to climbing in due course, fitness permitting. Looking for advice on where to buy a pair of boots that won't cost a complete fortune. Or is it best to spend a fortune now and get years of value from them ?Thanks in advance.

Go upstairs in Heatons, I bought a pair of boots suitable for walking in there a few months back for a €40. Otherwise your looking at the Outdoor shop on fair hill but their prices are a bit much for anyone starting off.

I think for hill walking / climbing safety is a must including footwear, I think a visit to Killarney Outdoor Store in Fairhill, or O' Sullivan outdoor shop in New Street to get some solid advice.. Brands such as Meindl Or Merrrell could cost from e100 upwards, but consider the conditions you maybe walking in, Gortex is a must in this country, also breathable socks (coolmax) and shoes.. My merrell shoes lasted me for years, expensive at the time but saved me a fortune in the long run, I found myself buying a different brand a few months ago and breaking them in slowly..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Looks like the town is after losing another legend. RIP Paddy "The Gardener" Cronin.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Has anyone eaten at the Thai restaurant in the Inishfree shopping mall and if so what's it like?
    I've found that many of the restaurants calling themselves Thai, are actually Chinese - which is a whole different world in the matter of Thai food.

Has anyone eaten at the Thai restaurant in the Inishfree shopping mall and if so what's it like?
    I've found that many of the restaurants calling themselves Thai, are actually Chinese - which is a whole different world in the matter of Thai food.

Food is lovely there, it is very popular with locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Much thanks Axel - I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Killarney has been absolutley mental this weekend, didn't think it would be so busy with St.Patrick's being on the Tuesday but that's not the case. Town was mobbed last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ Was crazy busy in town today too! Probably because it was Mother's day. Still though, very busy! Hard to find parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Anyone know what this building was ? Its on the old Glencar road out of Caherciveen. Appears to be on part of a working farm there.
    Class old building..
    Caherciveen.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

It's the old Workhouse at Bahaghs. Bahoss lodge.

http://goo.gl/maps/1gO1Ohttp://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/planning/localareaplans/localareaplans/lapsforthefaofcahersiveensneemwaterville/caherciveenfunctionalarealocalareaplan/thefile,7604,en.pdf

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/planning/localareaplans/localareaplans/lapsforthefaofcahersiveensneemwaterville/caherciveenfunctionalarealocalareaplan/thefile,7604,en.pdf

Appraisal: Although in a ruinous state for many decades, this building is one of the most impressive former dwellings in South Kerry with its classically inspired front façade.
    The building served as the Cahersiveen Union Work House during the Famine, having lain empty for a few years previously. It is depicted as Cahersiveen Union Work House in the first edition 1841/42 OS map and in the second edition 1897 a number of additional buildings are shown within the complex, including a fever hospital, mortuary, chapel and school. Only the main original building now remains, this is an important element of the architectural history of South Kerry. This building is of architectural, historical and social significance and should be included in the RPS.

Advertisement