Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - Getting the most out of your high speed Virgin Media (UPC) 240mb/s service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

bk wrote: »
    While I can't guarantee it, I certainly believe it would reduce issues, specially if you put the technicolor in bridge mode (link in the guide above), so that your own router is instead handling all the DHCP, routing, etc. details.

That's what I thinking myself. Think I'll pull the trigger on either the top c7 or c8.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Yes, I went from getting about 50 to 60Mb/s from my Technicolor to getting 200Mb/s with the C7 in the same room.

Of course that also depends on the capabilities of your laptop, smartphone, etc. to get the most out of it.

The reviews indicate there is almost no difference at all between the 3. They all perform almost exactly the same!

If you do get the C7 make sure it is the C7v2 that arrives, the v1 is a bit buggy, the v2 is rock solid. That is really the only advantage of the C8, you know which one you will be getting straight off.

How do you know if the c7 is v1 or v2, I saw it in curry's the weekend and it didn't mention what version it was on the box

komplette are selling the c7 for 95e compared to 130e in currys/pc world, im just wondering if both would be v2, i cant see anything to sat what version it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's on the underside beside the serial number, both on the box and the unit itself. I got mine from Currys and it's a V2.

(not my picture, bit of a half assed attempt at hiding the serial number.

IMG_20140331_125941.jpg

hardware-version.jpg

Thanks a million for that, I had a look and didn't see that on the barcode, I must've missed it

Think I'll chance komplett and if it's not v2,will return it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So I was searching around for the Archer C7 V2 around Dublin on Friday in blanch pc world didn't have any, Harvey Norman did have the V2 but priced at €139.99, tried Liffey valley pc world and currys didn't have them Dixons had one but it was a V1. I stopped off in tallaght and found a v2 bought it and brought it home, I hooked it up and found I couldn't login as admin, I checked my iPhone and saw 2 networks named sandman2 and sandman5 so looked like the router was already used or reworked i checked serials and they matched what was on the box I did a factory reset and for in and upgraded the firmware and it seems to be working fine the reception on the 5ghz band drops off once out of the room but i get close to 230mbps down and 23mbps up which isn't bad.
    Not sure if this was a returned router everything looked new in the box didn't look used or. Might have been a to link rework sent back out. Hopefully it will be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its worth noting that the penetration of 5Ghz is quite significantly lower than that of 2.4Ghz so if you have thick walls/good insulation the "drop off" from room to room can be very noticeable.

So I got the Archer c7 from Amazon and it arrived today, but it's version 1.1.

Is it worth keeping or should I return it.. I was going to get the v2 and test it before buying a second one for my parents house.

Would the v1.1 be ok for them, it'll be used for Android tablets, sky hd catch up downloads, Netflix on a blu Ray player and an ipad?

Should I return it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Is it worth keeping or should I return it.. I was going to get the v2 and test it before buying a second one for my parents house.

I'd return it, I just wouldn't risk it. Maybe get the C8 instead so.

Though v1.1 is weird, I haven't head of that one before!

Hmm.. It seems that amazon are still shipping v1's which I had thought were long gone! I got my v2 almost 8 months ago from Amazon. As a result I think I'll change my recommendation in this guide to the C8 to try avoid people getting into this difficulty in future.

Ok thanks, definitely says v1.1, I did a quick google and it says a firmware update fixes the bugs with Apple devices.

I'll return it and get the c8, I'm assuming the interface will be similar to the c7 and I wouldn't have any problems once I follow your guide?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'll return it and get the c8, I'm assuming the interface will be similar to the c7 and I wouldn't have any problems once I follow your guide?

The C8 and C9 have a new, more modern and nicer interface. So actually a bonus.

However the steps should be the same as in the guide above.

• Advertisement

And should the c7 I bought get the high speeds that yours do, it's more the signal dropping for Apple devices that's the problem?

Ordered the c8 there so will see how it works out, thanks again for your help!!

And should the c7 I bought get the high speeds that yours do, it's more the signal dropping for Apple devices that's the problem?

It should do as long as your laptops wifi have a spec that matches.

However I wouldn't take a buggy router, it wasn't just Apple devices, seemingly Android devices were effected to.

The C8 has now come down in price and is only €15 more expensive then the C7, so I don't think it is worth the gamble anymore (it was originally a €50 difference!).

Also the C8 also has some advantages.

- New web admin GUI
    - The three external antennas are now dual band. The C7 antennas were 5GHz only with 3 internal 2.4GHz antennas. This should give the C8 slightly better 2.4GHz performance then the C7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Went for the Asus RT-AC66U from Amazon. de for 130 euro. Didn't want to take the chance of getting a v1 tp link and I'm glad I didn't since Amazon are still shipping them. Should have to router by the weekend hopefully then I can test it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

For anyone looking for a decent router. I have a netgear WNDR 3400 N600 for sale.

Will fix issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Can some tell what wifi speeds are you getting on your technicolor TC7200?

I just had my new Ubee replaced which developed some fault apparently and UPC gave me the Technicolor, which in fairness I think is a step backwards.

While some of the issues I had are fixed, my Wifi speeds on Tc7200 are now halfed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LaserChicken

This post is load of hoop.
    1st of every household has outdated coaxial cables installed. 2nd The network speed is ridiculous scam - using a flash based speed test scripted to connect and test latency to the closest server, when the DL and UL speed to the actual internet sucks donkey nipples. If you want to test your actual speed to the internet use a site like testmy.net to get more accurate speed to the internet. You will be disgraced by the results you will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wiked

Just upgraded to UPC 240 MB broadband.

I still have the UPC Modem which is a Cisco 3925 - I think 10/100/1000 LAN.

It sits in may attic Room/Office.

The house is cabled from the attic and I have hardwired points for PS4, TV, and another downstairs for the desktop.

On the connection downstairs sits a Netgear WNR834B Wireless router.
    (WiFi capable of 240 MB I think).
    This has 4 Ethernet connections...Am I right in assuming that these are limited to 100 MB.

If I connect the PC direct to the Cisco Router I see a connection speed of 234 MB/Sec but through the Netgear router Max 83 MB/sec.

Question I have as I'm not totally sure is, will a Switch allow the PC to run at max speed and still keep the Netgear router as its still capable of 240 Mb/Sec or should I just get a new router capable of higher speeds on the Lan?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you put a 5port GigE switch in between the Cisco and the Netgear and then link the PC to it then you'll get 230-240Mb down for the PC.

Wireless in that netgear is very unlikely to peak above 200Mb real world. Buy an Archer C7 or similar if you want those kinda speeds wirelessly.

This post is load of hoop.
    1st of every household has outdated coaxial cables installed. 2nd The network speed is ridiculous scam - using a flash based speed test scripted to connect and test latency to the closest server, when the DL and UL speed to the actual internet sucks donkey nipples. If you want to test your actual speed to the internet use a site like testmy.net to get more accurate speed to the internet. You will be disgraced by the results you will get.

Hmm... posting as an anonymous coward! I assume you work for a competitor of UPC :mad:

First of all, UPC have upgraded the majority of their network to new high quality 1000MHz+ coax cable. You have to be blind not to notice this as they have been busily re-wiring their entire network over the last few years!

That is what all those UPC guys up ladders outside peoples house has been about! How could you not noticed this?!!! :confused:

Second, I'm a software engineer, who works from home daily and do big uploads of OS ISO's and software builds every day. I can assure the speed UPC delivers is very real. You can easily test it for yourself by downloading a linux DVD ISO from Heanet.

Unless you have something truthful and productive to add, please don't post again. You are just doing your employer a dis-service.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Using the download tester I get 238Mbits which isn't far off full speed.
    In fairness I'm only getting 16mbits on the upload but I still think thats quick enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Hi all.

I was upgraded to the 240Mbs service about a month ago and struggled to get 80Mbs via ethernet, had a tech out and reported all was perfect.

Speed went really bad since and they sent me out a new modem/router still only getting 80-90 Mbs over ethernet, I'm testing the speed via windows 7 and windows 8 machines both Intel dual core the windows 8 being only a year old.

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance Bryan.

bryaner I assume you have followed the steps in the guide:

- Make sure you are using a cat5e or cat6 ethernet cable, try multiple cables.
    - Check that the ethernet port on your PC supports 10/100/1000 and not just 10/100

Really it sounds like something on your system is limited to just 100mb/s

Also make sure you aren't using an anti virus proxy like Avast, it can slow things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

bryaner I assume you have followed the steps in the guide:

- Make sure you are using a cat5e or cat6 ethernet cable, try multiple cables.
    - Check that the ethernet port on your PC supports 10/100/1000 and not just 10/100

Really it sounds like something on your system is limited to just 100mb/s

Also make sure you aren't using an anti virus proxy like Avast, it can slow things down.

Thanks for the quick reply bk.

Yea its a cat5e cable I'm using, the only info I can get on my ethernet port is when I'm connected it tell's me connected at 100Mbs, sorry for being a bit of a technophobe. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

bryaner wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply bk.

Yea its a cat5e cable I'm using, the only info I can get on my ethernet port is when I'm connected it tell's me connected at 100Mbs, sorry for being a bit of a technophobe. :(

100mbs would indicate that you have 10/100 Ethernet port and they max out at 100mb, hence the lower speeds.

As said above you would need Gigabit port to see the full speeds.

You could buy a Gigabit to Usb adaptor which will help to speed things up, or just try the wifi on 5ghz and you might get more then 100mb.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hmm... posting as an anonymous coward! I assume you work for a competitor of UPC :mad:

First of all, UPC have upgraded the majority of their network to new high quality 1000MHz+ coax cable. You have to be blind not to notice this as they have been busily re-wiring their entire network over the last few years!

That is what all those UPC guys up ladders outside peoples house has been about! How could you not noticed this?!!! :confused:

Second, I'm a software engineer, who works from home daily and do big uploads of OS ISO's and software builds every day. I can assure the speed UPC delivers is very real. You can easily test it for yourself by downloading a linux DVD ISO from Heanet.

Unless you have something truthful and productive to add, please don't post again. You are just doing your employer a dis-service.

Given the way boards.ie works aren't we all posting as "anonymous cowards"?

dub45 wrote: »
    Given the way boards.ie works aren't we all posting as "anonymous cowards"?

I'm not, my username is the initials of my name and I'm widely known.

So, was that you making this post dub45 ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I'm not, my username is the initials of my name and I'm widely known.

So, was that you making this post dub45 ?

You are still anonymous on here just like the rest of us.

dub45 wrote: »
    You are still anonymous on here just like the rest of us.

I notice you didn't answer the question!

MOD: dub45 please stop taking this thread off topic. You have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

My sustained speeds from UPC are excellent. I've also tested multiple heanet ISO downloads and get ~230 down/~20 up regularly. It will fluctuate a bit, but overall the speeds are currently the best in Ireland.

• Advertisement

My sustained speeds from UPC are excellent. I've also tested multiple heanet ISO downloads and get ~230 down/~20 up regularly. It will fluctuate a bit, but overall the speeds are currently the best in Ireland.

Yup and that is reflected in UPC getting the number 1 ranking in all the speedtest survey sites results (netflix, steam, speedtest.net, etc.)

I just did a test on testmy.net, 211Mb/s :D

Note that the closest test server on this site is in the UK, that makes it less accurate then doing a test against heanet or one of the Irish speed test servers.

Advertisement