Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Computer Games thread

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Fndlajfldjaf! I remember now why I preferred playing games on console...

Sleeping Dogs (a game which I bought during a Steam Sale a year or o ago) crashes every time I play. I can play for like 15 minutes then it just freezes. Boo-urns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Slightly OT but I'm trying desperately to find a particular laptop. It's an Acer Aspire V3-772G-5413. The problem being I an't find anywhere online that sells them and by extension of that I assume it will be equally as hard to find a retail store that sells them. My friend bought one over the summer so I really don't know what to do. Anyone know anywhere that might?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspirev3

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

They had it in PC World before Christmas when I was working there, but you're looking at spending €1100

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    They had it in PC World before Christmas when I was working there, but you're looking at spending €1100

:O

It should be €800 tops :(

Could you possibly be thinking of the similar laptop which has an i7 processor rather than an i5?

Also, god damnit how'd you manage to get a job in there? :O I reckon I'm just unemployable :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Can I ask why specifically that laptop? My Lenovo has similar specs (slightly older graphics card) and I paid 900 for it in 2012 so you'd probably get it for 6-700 now...

(I'm only asking because I really don't like Acers :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

This is the Lenovo laptop I'm looking for http://www.komplett.ie/product/zkb-01lap/80036052/lenovo-ideapad-g50-70-01613/details.aspx

It seems fit the bill on what I need to do while in college, the ability to run IDEs without worrying about the processor frying up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

An i7 with 4GB ram? Not worth the money, you'll get pretty much the same processing power as a pentium on that ram. I've a pentium with 8gb ram, an 1tb hdd, thrilled with it. Spent €419 on it in the sales.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Can I ask why specifically that laptop? My Lenovo has similar specs (slightly older graphics card) and I paid 900 for it in 2012 so you'd probably get it for 6-700 now...

(I'm only asking because I really don't like Acers :P)

I don't specifically want that one, just that my friend has it and it's awesome. Also I'm useless at stuff like this so I know that laptop will serve me well. Basically what I'm looking for is a laptop that will run the likes of Skyrim perfectly :P

Could you perhaps link me to a similar serving laptop?

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    An i7 with 4GB ram? Not worth the money, you'll get pretty much the same processing power as a pentium on that ram. I've a pentium with 8gb ram, an 1tb hdd, thrilled with it. Spent €419 on it in the sales.

An i7 with 4gb is fine for programming. That's basically the spec I had for my laptop in work last year and I'd no issues.

My advice would be to dual boot Linux on there though. Depending on your course LostBoy you'll probably be able to do most of it on Linux, and I find the performance difference stark.
    I don't specifically want that one, just that my friend has it and it's awesome. Also I'm useless at stuff like this so I know that laptop will serve me well. Basically what I'm looking for is a laptop that will run the likes of Skyrim perfectly :P

Could you perhaps link me to a similar serving laptop?

Don't have specific ones in mind, but a look on amazon or Dabs would throw up a lot of models with similar specs to that Acer.

• Advertisement

Seems a little pricey to me (based on zero knowledge of the current laptop market, based solely on my own laptop's cost a number of years ago).

The specs are good though. Only negative I'd have is it doesn't have a Blu-Ray drive, but then I've had one for 2+ years and never used it for anything other than DVDs so... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

The specs are good though. Only negative I'd have is it doesn't have a Blu-Ray drive, but then I've had one for 2+ years and never used it for anything other than DVDs so... :P

my last two laptops have not had disk drives and it has not affected me in any way

my last two laptops have not had disk drives and it has not affected me in any way

I still buy the occasional CD that I need to rip to iTunes. I'll also be using the DVD burner a lot soon as we're in the process of backing up our VHS collection, but other than those rather specific use-cases there's really not much need of having one anymore.

I still like having it there just in case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

It's okay, far from running Skyrim perfectly though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Could anyone reccomend a decent laptop to me. Been wanting to get on the steam bandwagon for years but I've never really had knowledge or the dosh . I've recently found out that many retailers will offer a finance deal though. So monthly payments have opened up many options for me.

Want it for steam mostly. But music programs are of an interest to me to.

Having Battlefield four running smoothly is the important part though. :pac:

Something solid powerful within the 800 to 1500 at a stretch range?

Could anyone reccomend a decent laptop to me. Been wanting to get on the steam bandwagon for years but I've never really had knowledge or the dosh . I've recently found out that many retailers will offer a finance deal though. So monthly payments have opened up many options for me.

Want it for steam mostly. But music programs are of an interest to me to.

Having Battlefield four running smoothly is the important part though. :pac:

Something solid powerful within the 800 to 1500 at a stretch range?

Laptops ain't my thing, but someone here may be able to help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=529

TBH, for 1500 I'd be looking at PCs unless portability is an absolute must. You'd get a way better machine for your money IMO, laptops aren't really great for gaming. I've know loads of people who've had graphics cards burn out due to prolonged gaming on a laptop. They just get too hot.

TBH, for 1500 I'd be looking at PCs unless portability is an absolute must. You'd get a way better machine for your money IMO, laptops aren't really great for gaming. I've know loads of people who've had graphics cards burn out due to prolonged gaming on a laptop. They just get too hot.
    I guess I could leave a pc in my room and use the phone for on the go internetting. Pc might actually work better cause you can build them up over time can't you? Thus reducing the financial burden.

I guess I could leave a pc in my room and use the phone for on the go internetting. Pc might actually work better cause you can build them up over time can't you? Thus reducing the financial burden.

Best idea is the build in one swoop. I can help you pick out parts if you need. For 1500 you'd get a monster rig

I got a HP Envy for 850ish bean 1TB harddrive, 4gb ram, nvidia gt840 graphics (I think that's what it is) i5 processor...touchscreen, beats speakers built in...I love it :D
    She runs Skyrim like a beaut too.

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »
    Best idea is the build in one swoop. I can help you pick out parts if you need. For 1500 you'd get a monster rig

Cheers I'd be clueless picking parts myself. I guess I could pick up a nice laptop for four or five hundred on weekly payments and wait for my next two weeks of holiday time in the summer and the big chunk of pay to put into a pc. Something I've always wanted and never had. Darn hand to mouth living. :pac:

Cheers I'd be clueless picking parts myself. I guess I could pick up a nice laptop for four or five hundred on weekly payments and wait for my next two weeks of holiday time in the summer and the big chunk of pay to put into a pc. Something I've always wanted and never had. Darn hand to mouth living. :pac:

Well let me know when you need help picking parts and I'll help you as best I can :)

In relation to Xbox controllers and gaming on pc. Do you just have to buy a 360 controller and plug it into your laptop? Is there software you have to download or anything else? I reckon I'll buy one so I can play Dark Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

In relation to Xbox controllers and gaming on pc. Do you just have to buy a 360 controller and plug it into your laptop? Is there software you have to download or anything else? I reckon I'll buy one so I can play Dark Souls.
    You have to download 360 controller software for it to be able to run. http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-on-other-devices/windows/xbox-controller-for-windows-setup#9c745f1f75d6448295e7fd3e11f409bb

Should be plug and play

The 360 controllers for Windows are plug and play. There's also a little USB adapter thing that lets you connect your standard controllers wirelessly.

I've acquired myself a xbox 360 controller but have nothing to connect it to the laptop...how does one go about hooking it up wirelessly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Oblivion bahhahahahaha.

http://i.imgur.com/ceCFKdI.jpg

• Advertisement

Anyone think this could be a scam?

http://steam-gift-cards.com/?user=a03f30

Advertisement