Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

What voltage regulator is used in the model B+? I can't find the schematic drawings...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

j4krwkX.png

5v bit - not mine

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got a Raspberry Pi off a mate, and was going to get a Raspberry Pi Wolfson Audio Card as it allowed DTS passthrough, but recently found out that it only outputted stereo 2.0

So, was wondering is there a device that outputs 5.1 DTS that I can cheaply acquire (sub €50) new or 2nd hand that allows me to hook it up to a Yamaha Receiver RX-V359 via a DTS cable to get true 5.1 (as opposed to stereo-to-5.1). Not wanting to throw too much money at it (the Raspberry Pi), as otherwise I may as well just get a MiniX NEO X8-H.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

the_syco wrote: »
    Got a Raspberry Pi off a mate, and was going to get a Raspberry Pi Wolfson Audio Card as it allowed DTS passthrough, but recently found out that it only outputted stereo 2.0

So, was wondering is there a device that outputs 5.1 DTS that I can cheaply acquire (sub €50) new or 2nd hand that allows me to hook it up to a Yamaha Receiver RX-V359 via a DTS cable to get true 5.1 (as opposed to stereo-to-5.1). Not wanting to throw too much money at it (the Raspberry Pi), as otherwise I may as well just get a MiniX NEO X8-H.

I've ordered one of these yesterday for a project, might be suitable for you too?

http://www.dx.com/p/c-media-cm106-usb-2-0-external-sound-card-box-with-7-1-speaker-spdif-optical-output-15746

• Registered Users Posts: 43,790 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone recommend a cheap but decent airmouse / keyboard set for the Pi? Installed Xbian yesterday evening and has a USB keyboard running half way across the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

You got an Android phone?

What I use is Yatse for a remote and JuiceSSH if I want to make any changes to the Pi. I then use WinSCP on Windows as FTP but I rarely have to use that as I'm not storing anything on the Pi itself other than pictures used for the menu backgrounds.

Upgraded to the latest Openelec (I was on version 3x for a while) and there's a massive difference in reliability, runs almost butter smooth now with very little problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Raspberry Pi with HDMI in project

I'm guessing it wouldn't 'record' from the Sky box ?!? he does mention HDCP so.....

• Advertisement

I like the way the parts put themselves together, makes assembley so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

250$... I could buy 10 raspberry pis for that price or 50 apple pies

Model A+
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/10/new_raspberry_pi_a_appears_for_sale_online/

Looks like I need one... now! It is even better for builing an embedded battery powered device than model A

• Registered Users Posts: 81,875 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OK so on my raspberry pi is attached to a sleepy-pi arduino board. the arduino model (sleepy pi) can only be programmed via a rpi.

I've followed all the instructions on spellfoundry but when i try to get it to compile and send to the arduino i get the error: "arduino.h: no such file or directory. compilation terminated."

any insight on why I might get such a frustrating error?

I'm not familiar with arduino, but the error says that compiler cannot find header file arduino.h
    Do you know where is that file and where it should be?

Not even remotely. I'm new to arduinos. I assumed the lib would have been included in the ide

OK, what's your ide installed on? Windows? And then you're loading something onto RPI to get it loaded to arduino?

Can you post a link to those instructions from spellfoundry?

PrzemoF wrote: »
    OK, what's your ide installed on? Windows? And then you're loading something onto RPI to get it loaded to arduino?

Can you post a link to those instructions from spellfoundry?

the IDE id loaded into raspbian and the arduino is connected through the GPIO header.

I got it working after running through the setup again. must have been a typo somewhere.

• Advertisement

I have a new problem,

one of the functions I wanted is for files to be passively downloaded by the pi, and when I want to reference them, I would like to be able to just pull the SD card after unplugging the Pi and read it from a PC.

But the PC cant see whatever partition that raspbian is on, so right now the only way I can seem to move files around is FTP, which based on what I saw earlier was dog slow - a 1GB file was going to take 7 hours over Wireless LAN. The model A only has 1 USB port and it wouldn't be the end of the world to mount a flash drive up to it with a Hub, (the port has the wifi dongle on it) I would still like to keep it good and clean, and I don't want to have to be concerned with mounting/unmounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Overheal wrote: »
    I have a new problem,

one of the functions I wanted is for files to be passively downloaded by the pi, and when I want to reference them, I would like to be able to just pull the SD card after unplugging the Pi and read it from a PC.

But the PC cant see whatever partition that raspbian is on, so right now the only way I can seem to move files around is FTP, which based on what I saw earlier was dog slow - a 1GB file was going to take 7 hours over Wireless LAN. The model A only has 1 USB port and it wouldn't be the end of the world to mount a flash drive up to it with a Hub, (the port has the wifi dongle on it) I would still like to keep it good and clean, and I don't want to have to be concerned with mounting/unmounting.

You're probably better off writing to an external flash drive.

The problem is that even if you installed a ext2/3/4 fs driver for Windows, or made a partition with a FAT32 filesystem on your card to write to, Windows can only read the first partition entry on a removable drive. While there are workarounds out there, I haven't tried any of them.

You'd still have to mount and unmount the stick as necessary, but that can just be aliased or scripted away.

i must be doing something wrong, but the USB shows up in filemanager, I can open up and delete files from the USB, but I get a permission denied warning when I try to copy it from the rPi SD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Overheal wrote: »
    i must be doing something wrong, but the USB shows up in filemanager, I can open up and delete files from the USB, but I get a permission denied warning when I try to copy it from the rPi SD

Where are you trying to copy from on your Pi? You might need to open the file manager as root. I'm not sure which version of PCManFM Raspbian uses, see the link below.

http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM#Run_as_root

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Hi,

Bought a PI recently to start learning about programming and command line type stuff.

I have the PI set up with raspbian installed and can SSH into it from my windows laptop.

I've followed the HowToGeek guides for setting up the pi as a NAS with Samba.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/139433/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-low-power-network-storage-device/

Followed the guide and have a USB flash drive connected that has some photos and files already on it.
    I've mapped the drive on Windows and can view the folders/files.

My problem is I can't get seem to write to the usb drive.
    Is there something I need to edit in the Samba conf file to allow this ?
    I'm quiet happy to allow open access to the files/folders for anyone who has access to my Wi-Fi as thats what I want the NAS for.

If thats not possible I would want to have read access for guests and full read/write for myself and anyone I give access to.

Any help would be hugely appreciated

I'm not that familiar with samba to be sure that I'm right, but...
    a. Check whaa is in /etc/samba/smb.conf - look fo "read only = yes"
    b. Change it to "read only = no"
    c. Restart samba (sudo service samba restart)

What are the access rights to the directory where the usb drive is mounted? Maybe you should change it to 1777?

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I'm not that familiar with samba to be sure that I'm right, but...
    a. Check whaa is in /etc/samba/smb.conf - look fo "read only = yes"
    b. Change it to "read only = no"
    c. Restart samba (sudo service samba restart)

What are the access rights to the directory where the usb drive is mounted? Maybe you should change it to 1777?

I had "read only = no" but it still wasn't working for me.
    If i left "# security = user" in the conf file would that mean that the files could be accessed without passwords ?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2393068/raspberry-pi-2-unveiled-with-1gb-ram-and-windows-10-support

"The Raspberry Pi 2 will cost the same as the original, $35 (£26). It has backwards-compatibility with all previous Raspberry Pi projects and is said to be able to run "bigger and more powerful projects" owing to some upgraded internal specifications.

These include a Broadcom BCM2836 ARMv7 quad-core processor-powered single board computer running at 900MHz."

The info about windows 10 is strange. Is MS trying to understand how to fix Windows RT? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

will56 wrote: »
    My problem is I can't get seem to write to the usb drive.

check how its mounted in case something went wrong ... go
    cat /proc/mounts

you could use Webmin -

http://www.webmin.com/demo.html

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    check how its mounted in case something went wrong ... go

you could use Webmin -

http://www.webmin.com/demo.html

I decided to start from scratch and now its up and running perfectly. I have read write access from windows & android devices and can remote to transmission from my phone to control torrents.
    Write speeds are nothing to get excited about but I mainly want the PI for streaming content so writing will only be done occasionally.

I used this tutorial as it covered everything from powering a USB HDD through to DLNA
    http://www.htpcguides.com/power-2-5-...aspberry-pi-b/

Advertisement