Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

NIMAN wrote: »
    I not be expecting any catastrophic weather conditions over the next 48hrs, despite all the different coloured weather warnings and talks of 'polar vortex'.

Why has the weather become so hyped up? First it was a 'weather bomb' and now a 'polar vortex'. Why do they feel the need to invent new terms, is it to make them sound frightening?

Lets be honest, its works with a lot of the population. During the weather bomb period I remember my mother saying "apparently this weather coming is the worst in 60yrs". And only yesterday she was talking about being 'snowed in'. She lives in a city, they rarely get snowed in.

Most of the weather we get is generally underwhelming, and I don't think the next 48hrs will be the end of the world, just yet!

Because news media make their $ from generating hype and drama if there isn't any naturally there to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

How dare you!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

Lots of big white flakes of fluffy snow falling now in Belfast and its starting to lie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met Eireann always change their forecasts every few hours. Other countries always seem to have their forecasts pretty spot on when it comes to snow etc. You are right, i was on Met eireann website about 4 hours ago and it said snow in the graphics and just as quickly they change to rain.

I am not saying they are always wrong but they change their forecasts so frequently even on a given day in these types of weather events, hard to take them too seriously.

I can also remember so many trips to the west of Ireland that i nearly canceled because of the rain forecast in summer only to end up taking a chance and being basked in sunshine. For a country so small, you would expect them by now to have a better handle on weather, particularly as we dont get extreme weather.

I also know that our weather can be marginal at times but surely after all these years they could be better with their forecasting! today is another classic example. amber snow warning, then yellow. snow in the east and now rain. Make up your mind !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I not be expecting any catastrophic weather conditions over the next 48hrs, despite all the different coloured weather warnings and talks of 'polar vortex'.

Why has the weather become so hyped up?

<snip>

Most of the weather we get is generally underwhelming, and I don't think the next 48hrs will be the end of the world, just yet!

I don't think most of us here are expecting catastrophic weather conditions. Rather we are looking forward to the lottery that may or may not bring us hail, sleet, snow, thunder etc...

I agree, I don't think the next 48 hours will be the end of the world in weather terms, but I sure do hope (against all rational reasoning) that we get snow :)

Sit back, find a good lamp post to watch and enjoy the banter and updates and charts. We're here for a good time ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Fuh Q wrote: »
    Temps falling back fast in Navan, 2.5c with dewpoint of -2.0 and snowing
    Also in Navan and haven't seen a flake so far lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Just ice rain, hail, sleet mixed with snow here in S Sligo approx 300 asl - the wind would cut through you though - the showers are getting more frequent with less sunny breaks -

I reckon it's only starting here but the temps would want to lower a bit for any sustained snowfall - it seems too fresh out for it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

North side of 3 rock looking fab. Can't wait to see more showers once the sun goes down. Making tikka masala tonight because I reckon we'll need heating up after being on the sideline after rugby training!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hail / Sleet here in Donegal Town. Not a flake o snow have I seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Just not cold enough for snow here in S.Kildare, sleet is the order of the day so far and it's not getting anything closer to snow. Odd how so many around me at similar asl's have seen snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1613 update from met eireann

28 January 2015 16:13

Today
    Cold and very windy this evening with further heavy showers of hail, sleet and snow. There will also be some thunder. Westerly winds will stay strong and gusty.
    Tonight

The showers will continue tonight and will turn increasingly wintry with falls of sleet and snow in many parts of the country. Accumulations are likely and in the fresh westerly winds driving conditions will be poor at times. A cold night with lows of -1 to +3 degrees and some frost as well as ice patches will

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Why has the weather become so hyped up? First it was a 'weather bomb' and now a 'polar vortex'. Why do they feel the need to invent new terms, is it to make them sound frightening?

Lets be honest, its works with a lot of the population. During the weather bomb period I remember my mother saying "apparently this weather coming is the worst in 60yrs". And only yesterday she was talking about being 'snowed in'. She lives in a city, they rarely get snowed in.

has to be hype and drama, more in tune to how the met in america like to really hype up the least bit of wind or rain. I know not all parts of Ireland are the same but here all the recent events such as the weather bomb and rachel only produced normal windy weather. The last cold spell produced dry, settled days and looks like this spell will be very similar. At least here in south Meath the entire winter season so far has been extremely average with just some frosts and a bit of wind and rain so far this winter. The weather warnings over past 3 months points towards a far more exciting winter than the one we have experienced so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1600 reports. gust of 53 knots at finner. 9 stations now at 2 degrees. dewpoints at Belfast Knock are hovering at zero. +1 further south down at shannon. once darkness sets in showers will be of snow more frequently, will they die off though....a band of cloud on the latest satellite picture seems to be killing off the showers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nothing major here yet , stormy with sleet and hail showers. 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Epic snow here in Carlow now, huge flakes of snow. Everything has gone white in about ten minutes or so. Will post pics when its finished, which could be some time by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

okay so now met eireann are saying widespread snow for this evening and tonight. Lets see if that comes to fruition. Its like musical chairs with their forecasts. In a few hours it will be rain or clear skies at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Snow lying in Dub Mts from 100m or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Snow lying in Dub Mts from 100m or so. Snow in Drogheda earlier but didn't stick. Still impressive given it's at the coast, at sea level, and over 200km from the West coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Epic snow here in Carlow now, huge flakes of snow. Everything has gone white in about ten minutes or so. Will post pics when its finished, which could be some time by the looks of it.
    send it this way please lol:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,882 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

lorc43 wrote: »
    Snowed for a bit today. Sadly it isn't sticking!

Same here, slutshy snow. Once temps fall we could see real snow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Mate posted these from Dundrod outside Lisburn:

10915294_10204381806203710_40630935453967861_n.jpg?oh=f593dfb00dce87277395b7475134ac95&oe=55506A4D

10957900_10204381805803700_8889656155424908785_n.jpg?oh=fa1c0bca10b200d9be6d22ef837904a3&oe=556F77DC

• Registered Users Posts: 23,579 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It only takes one heavy snow shower. Important to keep perspective. You have all night and a good chunk of tomorrow to see snow. Atlantic coastal fringes and the far southwest were always going to be more marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

It only takes one heavy snow shower. Important to keep perspective. You have all night and a good chunk of tomorrow to see snow. Atlantic coastal fringes and the far southwest were always going to be more marginal.
    Anything for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Absolutely naaathin in Sligo at all just wind :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Anything for Dublin

Not really, the showers are running out of energy by the coasts of Leinster and Munster as I expected. Might be a few surprises tonight and the mountains will hold on to whatever they get.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

showers seem to be dying out from the west? The heaviest showers have been on the eastern side of Northern Ireland all day long.

I was expecting very little from todays event anyway but maybe we might get a surprise during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A plane at DUB had to make a go-around due to winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Absolutely naaathin in Sligo at all just wind :(

Just strong gusts and heavy hail showers in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

One batch heading for Dublin on the radar, IF it holds together it should be here around 5:30/5:45...

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not really, the showers are running out of energy by the coasts of Leinster and Munster as I expected. Might be a few surprises tonight and the mountains will hold on to whatever they get.

Looking very cloudy ther must be something

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement