Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Misseskelly

Supercell wrote: »
    I'd say there is a definite possibility of a light dusting overnight in Dublin with utterly lethal roads later even if not with all the wet surfaces after this afternoons showers.

And then lashing of the stuff next week 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Snow shower here in Tinahely now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

hollster2 wrote: »
    www.carlowweather.com Is that what I got to for the webcam?

Yep just captured
    16387741382_1f1feeda81_o.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Grass, roofs, cars etc now white.

Snow showers and sun passing in quick succession; temp dropping to below 1C in the heaviest showers and rising to over 2C with thaw in the sunny spells,

About 1cm accumulation so far I'd say.

Breezy, windy in showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fields are white here (north Kilkenny) now with the current shower, will probably stay that way.
    Current temperature 0.6C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Temp has risen to +6.2°C here in West Limerick. Lots of sunshine.

Wind WNW 13km/h sustained, 25.3km/h gust.

Recent brief hail shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Few hefty snow showers look likely for the east in the next few hours.... in time for rush hour!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Just got back from town; snow lying in higher areas of Sandyford and from Stepaside upwards, looks much heavier just a couple of hundred feet further up.

About 1cm here; temp 1.5C, was 0.6C (I presume in a snow shower) and jumps to over 2C when the sun shines.

Could be an icy night here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

Few hefty snow showers look likely for the east in the next few hours.... in time for rush hour!

They're dying out by the looks of it. Not holding up as well as earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just got back from town; snow lying in higher areas of Sandyford and from Stepaside upwards, looks much heavier just a couple of hundred feet further up.

About 1cm here; temp 1.5C, was 0.6C (I presume in a snow shower) and jumps to over 2C when the sun shines.

Could be an icy night here.

Can vouch for that. Lots of white in stepaside. Driving to Cork late tonight which could be fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

I'm sitting in Cherrywood overlooking the M50/N11 interchange.

Should make for some interesting traffic here if it holds true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

I thought met.ie would have released an orange warning for certain counties for this evening by now. Not a criticism btw just slightly confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Ravenid wrote: »
    I'm sitting in Cherrywood overlooking the M50/N11 interchange.

Should make for some interesting traffic here if it holds true.

:(:(:(

Tactical wrote: »
    Temp has risen to +6.2°C here in West Limerick. Lots of sunshine.

Wind WNW 13km/h sustained, 25.3km/h gust.

Recent brief hail shower.

Sudden rapid increase in wind.

WNW 23km/h sustained, 30.8km/h gust. Must be another shower on the way :)

Update: Can see a shower approaching on the Net Weather radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

70/30 mix of rain and snow falling at the min. The rain has washed most of the lying snow away. Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Tactical wrote: »
    Sudden rapid increase in wind.

WNW 23km/h sustained, 30.8km/h gust. Must be another shower on the way :)

You're well above sea level Tactical? if you're not getting snow yet not much chance for where I am. Plenty showers of a wintry mix here but dp staying at 1.

ahh just noticed 120asl..knew i had seen it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Absoloute blizzard snow in South armagh 10 minutes a complete white out

You're well above sea level Tactical? if you're not getting snow yet not much chance for where I am. Plenty showers of a wintry mix here but dp staying at 1.

Not really, I'm only 120m asl but am very exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Temps falling back fast in Navan, 2.5c with dewpoint of -2.0 and snowing

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Well it's definitely been more of a wind day than a snow day here so far. We had a couple of heavy falls of hail and a bit of sleet but nothing is sticking. But there have been some mighty gusts of wind. I'd trouble keeping the car in line on an exposed road.
    Is this our lot for tonight does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just got caught in a rain and snow blizzard when I went to get logs in so I have the solution to todays weather and the on-off etc.... Feed everyone, bank the range up ( coal then slack and it will burn all night... ) close the curtain, fill 2 hot water bottles and get a plate of comfort food ( half price cheesecake!) find good book and knitting and RETREAT TO BED.. there is some slight snow cover here and it can do what it likes now! Have a lovely time snow hoping! Blessings and peace and stay safe... Over and out from South Kerry 4oo ft asl with the wonky old laptop and the camera that does not know what day it is.....;):eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Getting dark now in West Dublin now so maybe a snow shower or two on the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Could be some showers incoming for the wider Dublin area judging by the latest radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Blizzard here in North kk. Anyone know if we are to get much more tonight kids hoping for a snow day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Mammatus over Galway were stunning, have yet to post picture from a mobile successfully so will get a pic up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Met Eireann seem to have changed the visual of the National forecast for Today to mostly rain. Before Lunch this was snow showers? Has this been downgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

With each successive shower that passes the wind seems to be getting a little stronger here. Getting some real house shakers at the moment (40 kt +)

Looks like a fair scattering of showers across the country now but as others have said, passing just too quickly.

image.ashx?type=animated-12&time=

New Moon

ahh just noticed 120asl..knew i had seen it before!

Yes, 120m asl.

Pic doesn't really demonstrate how exposed I am here, but during a temp inversion its fantastic to be in bright sunshine while the valley beneth me is a sea of white mist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I not be expecting any catastrophic weather conditions over the next 48hrs, despite all the different coloured weather warnings and talks of 'polar vortex'.

Why has the weather become so hyped up? First it was a 'weather bomb' and now a 'polar vortex'. Why do they feel the need to invent new terms, is it to make them sound frightening?

Lets be honest, its works with a lot of the population. During the weather bomb period I remember my mother saying "apparently this weather coming is the worst in 60yrs". And only yesterday she was talking about being 'snowed in'. She lives in a city, they rarely get snowed in.

Most of the weather we get is generally underwhelming, and I don't think the next 48hrs will be the end of the world, just yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭traco

Snow / Hail and wind in Naas (besie Exit 10 on M7) about 30 mins ago, still flakes floating about and sticking on grass and cars

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement