Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Desmond's sons to bring Five Guys to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Local Chippies are far better, I'd go to Lennoxs or KCs in Cork over Maccy Dees/Burger King any day.

Five Guys is OK, went when I was in New York, bit expensive though.

If you're in Amsterdam checkout the Burger Bar, MMMMMM

http://www.burger-bar.nl/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The Peanut wrote: »
    The nicest burger I can remember eating - and I'm not a particularly big fan of burgers - was a place called Burgermeister in Berlin. Off-putting when I found out that it used to be a public toilet in a previous life.

Most people have a favourite eatery for something but it's rarely a chain unit. No matter how well-intentioned they are, they are hugely limited as they will always have to operate within a certain template.

You know how you know a place is shìte?

They have more than one location.

I'd usually make my own burgers on the rare occasion I'd have one but there's two or three places I would go specifically for one and none of them are part of chain. Really nice bartender in one with spots and thick glasses too. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

If

This is one of the stupidest things that I've ever heard. Do you know what most restaurant owners do when their place becomes a hit? Open up another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I love 5 guys, this is great.

This is one of the stupidest things that I've ever heard. Do you know what most restaurant owners do when their place becomes a hit? Open up another one.

Yeah, and you know what happens five to ten years after that?

Bankruptcy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Misleading thread title...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

http://noma.dk/japan/

Your so achingly hip with your anti-hipster shtick. Just so cool. If only we could be as cool as you and not eat nice burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭circadian

Never heard of Five Guys.
    Hopefully they will do well.

Now if Red Robin would be so kind as to expand here I would be set.

Red Robin, I hate that place. Too many overtime dinners from there.

That cannot be the name of a fast food restaurant? It sounds like the type of place where red-faced men with drink problems would go for 'a feed' after falling out of a pub in Ballygogoblet. And the only reason they'd go there is because they are barred from the local Supermacs.

Haha, it really is. There are a few Eddie Rockets knock-offs around the country.

Rockin' Joes and Highway 66 are just a couple. They all try to recreate that 50's American diner thing.

Haven't been to Buddy's in years, was a dreadful place. Have heard it's not too bad these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Good burgers, great chips, but bloody expensive. Add in the obligatory Irish tax it will probably be a tenner or so a burger. Would rather head to bobo's for that price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Yeah, and you know what happens five to ten years after that?

Bankruptcy. :D

McDonald's have gone bankrupt!

Well I never.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

Haha, it really is. There are a few Eddie Rockets knock-offs around the country.

Rockin' Joes and Highway 66 are just a couple. They all try to recreate that 50's American diner thing.

Haven't been to Buddy's in years, was a dreadful place. Have heard it's not too bad these days though.

Eddie Rockets is just a knock-off of an American chain called Johnny Rockets - and a pretty shameless one at that. I'm amazed they got away with it for so long.

Valetta wrote: »
    McDonald's have gone bankrupt!

Well I never.

I was talking about proper restaurants. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

retalivity wrote: »
    Good burgers, great chips, but bloody expensive. Add in the obligatory Irish tax it will probably be a tenner or so a burger. Would rather head to bobo's for that price
    And yet they'll do a roaring trade at the Dundrum shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

liam24 wrote: »
    Eddie Rockets is just a knock-off of an American chain called Johnny Rockets - and a pretty shameless one at that. I'm amazed they got away with it for so long.

Johnny Rockets is a pastiche of a 1950s diner, so ER's is a copy of a copy.

Johnny Rockets is a pastiche of a 1950s diner, so ER's is a copy of a copy.

We're through the looking-glass here, people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

smash wrote: »
    Misleading thread title...

I was hoping it would be 5 wise guys.

I was talking about proper restaurants. :p

So why have Noma, consistently rated the best restaurant in the world, opened a second one then? Could it be that you are talking horse****?
    retalivity wrote:
    Five guys is miles better than bobos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Thought it was some ex-prisioners from Guantanamo :o

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

Five Guys is completely overrated. It doesn't stand out as a fast food joint in any way shape or form from any of the other chippies. I would even say it's on a par with McDonald's... Muck. When I lived in Georgia my go to place would always be Chick-fil-a. Lovely chips and expecially delicious chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is this really big news?

Not to be a philistine but burgers aren't the most interesting/diverse food in the world and there's a lot of existing burger joints.

drumswan wrote: »
    So why have Noma, consistently rated the best restaurant in the world, opened a second one then? Could it be that you are talking horse****?

Relocating temporarily or opening a new one?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Is this really big news?

Not to be a philistine but burgers aren't the most interesting/diverse food in the world and there's a lot of existing burger joints.

The existing burger joints are a bit **** though. Which is probably why you dont like burgers.

drumswan wrote: »
    The existing burger joints are a bit **** though. Which is probably why you dont like burgers.

No I like a burger, but it's just a burger like...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

It's just another chain selling fried muck that some people go all hysterical about because they know something about America that someone who has never been might not, like In N Out or Whataburger.

When someone raves about them, what they are really saying is 'ooooohh look at me, I was on a plane once'

haha talk about having a chip on your shoulder.

Salt and vinegar?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It's really not though. There is a world of difference between burgers that are frozen and ones that are not,

True enough. But some burgers are better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

How much for a burger and fries?

Went to the Coqbull place in Cork not so long ago. Bloody rip off with their so so burgers.

Fair enough, I'll have to give it a try then. Just tell me, will it be the best burger I've ever tasted guaranteed? I've had a few in my time.

• Advertisement

haha talk about having a chip on your shoulder.

Salt and vinegar?

Better than skinny fries any day! :p

Advertisement