Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    that team that used to be Rangers so yeah Huns is the term used??

You do know that posting here on the weather board has jinxed/poxed your trip....... postponed cos of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Lugnaquilla today, not much snow left, but a helluva lot of ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

You do know that posting here on the weather board has jinxed/poxed your trip....... postponed cos of snow.
    My misses will be delighted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Thanks for the advance warning guys, time to stock up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    that team that used to be Rangers so yeah Huns is the term used??

I suppose we have had everything else in this thread so why not a bit of sectarianism.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭esposito

Pangea wrote: »
    Ok, this is getting a bit too good to look at, think Il bow out here and save the heartache from the downgrades to come in the next few days :pac:

Gonna do the same. After tomorrows 12z ECM (18:30) I am bowing out.
    I will watch the Met Eireann forecasts just like the old days and that will be it!

I suppose we have had everything else in this thread so why not a bit of sectarianism.....
    ahh diddums....bring on the snow

Ohh aye,snow surrender :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 t00116201

tis a cold week..... lads !!!! we might get a snow shower or two.... get the thermals out bai's.... burrrrrrrrrrrrrrh

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks for the advance warning guys, time to stock up again.

My thoughts exactly!

Yesterday was brilliant. Watched a golden sunrise over Bantry Bay and a tiny smattering of snow atop....Barely a breeze right at the very tip of Mizen Head and wonderful white rifts in the sky....as I crossed the border back into Kerry on the Caha Pass, the magnificent sight of my Kerry mountains white shining...and now they say snow.. ah well! Had a wonderful break!

• Advertisement

Aye,it's a stronger longer version of the spell last Tuesday week
    From an imby eastern perspective,this is about as useful to Dublin -Wexford as the 2010 north easterlies were to Kerry
    Unless it nuances a bit as the details firm up with some North easterlies to spread the wealth like :D

Masses of potential in Sligo and mayo and inland a good chunk from those counties to say Longford all of Ulster and west Munster and north Leinster
    I feel sorry for mountainyman because he may get a track machine to dig out to be honest if this pans out :eek:

So risk for Kerry from Wednesday? ( hastily reviewing food stocks and plotting a Tuesday shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Graces7 wrote: »
    So risk for Kerry from Wednesday? ( hastily reviewing food stocks and plotting a Tuesday shop!
    yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

I see the roller coaster has started again. Expect downgrade after downgrade. No doubt snow may fall on high ground in inland ulster but 99% of the population may see a few wet flakes at best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Met Eireann going for heavy snow next Thursday night meaning downgrades are on the way!

Well after the ...depression and negative thinking of the last few posts....:rolleyes: and I came back online expecting wild enthusiasm.I shall make my usual preparations and watch the skies! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

So glad I popped in today for a look, I was on a weather fast for the last week.

So glad I popped in today for a look, I was on a weather fast for the last week.

You mean a forecast fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

legomaniac wrote: »
    I see the roller coaster has started again. Expect downgrade after downgrade. No doubt snow may fall on high ground in inland ulster but 99% of the population may see a few wet flakes at best.

You could be right but right now the models and met services think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I can't wait to wake up Friday morning and find snow on the distant mountains of Kerry but none here.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I can't wait to wake up Friday morning and find snow on the distant mountains of Kerry but none here.

lol.. where are you? Cork? I did take photos but am on low power until 28th. It was a splendid sight... I even stopped and got out of the car to take them once I was safe back in Kerry.. I decided to explore a little you see and by mistake ended up on the Barley Lake road... Never again! and no snow up there either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Tomaz is doing country file tonight on BBC One
    he has tweeted

"Off to BBC for another pm/evening shift. #Countryfile forecast later & already scratching my head about the icy blast later in week #snow"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Met Eireann seem to have their timing wrong. It's Wednesday night that there is a nationwide snow risk, not Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Meanwhile, NYC and surrounding areas looking at a potential severe snowstorm. 2+ feet possible. Blizzard warnings issued.

gfsna-2-42.png?12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

The downgrading has already commenced in the charts room. Azores high is going to quickly move in over weekend and kill off any cold and high level snow. I see that Donegal weather Facebook page is hyping up everyone about snowstorms from midweek onwards. I am planning on planting trees in my garden on Thursday and Friday when I get back to Donegal. Very mild at the moment in Dublin.... Spring is on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

The downgrading has already commenced in the charts room. Azores high is going to quickly move in over weekend and kill off any cold and high level snow. I see that Donegal weather Facebook page is hyping up everyone about snowstorms from midweek onwards. I am planning on planting trees in my garden on Thursday and Friday when I get back to Donegal. Very mild at the moment in Dublin.... Spring is on its way.

????Maybe on the GFS .Not so on the UKMO 12Z UN144-21.GIF

Do you ever say anything positive :D i'd be suicidal going for a beer with you,all doom and gloom and that's just with
    the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

GFS 12z is an upgrade. UKMO is very snowy potentially . What chart specifically are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Graces7 wrote: »
    lol.. where are you? Cork? I did take photos but am on low power until 28th. It was a splendid sight... I even stopped and got out of the car to take them once I was safe back in Kerry.. I decided to explore a little you see and by mistake ended up on the Barley Lake road... Never again! and no snow up there either!

West clare. Often we get no snow but if you drive into kilrush or near you can see the hills and mountains of kerry covered in white (Assuming its clear)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

. I am planning on planting trees in my garden on Thursday and Friday when I get back to Donegal..

Be sure to wrap up :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

If nearly every "cold event" gets predictably downgraded then surely there is a flaw in the models that can be fixed?

If the variations were random you'd say the models just aren't accurate enough yet - but if they keep making the same repeating error you'd think they'd fix it.

When the model predicts snow and cold over Ireland and the UK 5 days out just build in the downgrade?

(You'll have guessed that weather modelling is not something I do!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement