Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Cold clear and breezy here, ground frozen again and some vehicular icing - and the dog's water bowl has a thin skin of ice.

Temp +0.8c was -0.4c earlier.

Looks like another sunny day ahead. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Next weekends ECM charts scream potential. *whispers loudly* Polar lows....

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

They do indeed with screaming northerlies coming in over Ireland and Britain with a deep low extending into Europe from the North. The Atlantic looks cut off............but only on these charts which are nearly a week away.

Dare I say it but have we not all learned from the recent models that the reality is somewhat much different what is being projected? :confused: I would treat the current charts with extreme caution until they are at T+48 or T+72.

The alternative is that people get carried away with charts at T+168 showing very cold weather with snow and take this at full 100% face value. Then they wonder why they are disappointed next week when the Atlantic breaks through :( Surely that pattern of behavior is starting to become somewhat draining for most weather board posters ? :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

good to see parts of Ireland getting some snow recently
    winter arrived late here in the south of Sweden this year but we now have a proper winter finally
    last week's forecast up to Sunday promised us a few cm of snow during the week-instead we got between 15 and 30cm of snow and a good snow cover over most of the south-just goes to show it's difficult to predict the weather even a few days ahead sometimes
    the north of Sweden has had a very cold winter so far with temps down to minus 35 on many nights
    seems to be colder weather to the north than usual so if the wind changes direction then Ireland could do very well from a northerly
    longer term forecasts here are suggesting much colder weather for the south of Sweden from the start of Feb
    winter is a long way from over for all of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

derekon wrote: »
    They do indeed with screaming northerlies coming in over Ireland and Britain with a deep low extending into Europe from the North. The Atlantic looks cut off............but only on these charts which are nearly a week away.

Dare I say it but have we not all learned from the recent models that the reality is somewhat much different what is being projected? :confused: I would treat the current charts with extreme caution until they are at T+48 or T+72.

The alternative is that people get carried away with charts at T+168 showing very cold weather with snow and take this at full 100% face value. Then they wonder why they are disappointed next week when the Atlantic breaks through :( Surely that pattern of behavior is starting to become somewhat draining for most weather board posters ? :D

D

I will never drain away... I'm off to buy ski's and warm clothes, for next weekend. :D

determined-i-am-determined.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

rbelmc wrote: »
    good to see parts of Ireland getting some snow recently
    winter arrived late here in the south of Sweden this year but we now have a proper winter finally
    last week's forecast up to Sunday promised us a few cm of snow during the week-instead we got between 15 and 30cm of snow and a good snow cover over most of the south-just goes to show it's difficult to predict the weather even a few days ahead sometimes
    the north of Sweden has had a very cold winter so far with temps down to minus 35 on many nights
    seems to be colder weather to the north than usual so if the wind changes direction then Ireland could do very well from a northerly
    longer term forecasts here are suggesting much colder weather for the south of Sweden from the start of Feb
    winter is a long way from over for all of us...

Atlantic front has just passed through here in Northern Denmark, dumped 10-15cm depending on exposure to wind. Looking forward to much colder air next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I will never drain away... I'm off to buy ski's and warm clothes, for next weekend. :D

determined-i-am-determined.png

Now that is what I call optimism! :D

D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Just..don't...mention it. You'll make it go away :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wednesday night, Thursday, Thursday night is an almost nationwide show shower fest driven along on a near gale force wind coupled with real instability. A potentially disruptive period increasingly likely. I assume/hope the salt is ready to go. :D

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Kermit...any sign of an easterly element to the winds?

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »
    Kermit...any sign of an easterly element to the winds?

I suppose it's conceivable eventually. Main point though is the northwesterly and then northerly winds in to the weekend. This has all the hallmarks of a volatile synoptic forecast from then on. No real point looking beyond that. For an easterly the trough has to really dig down further in to the continent and preferably directly south of us. That is not being progged yet on any model but it's a long way out.

The profile of the jet stream is more and more favorable for an easterly incursion at some point though. This is what we want to see. Everything north/south.

Rtavn21614.gif

A "problem" (depending on your point of view!) is the mixing of the air mass after the initially northwesterly blast due to that area of low pressure just sitting and meandering around in the north sea for so long (due to weak jet). If that's how it turns out in the end there will be some mild sectors as well which is normal in these set ups but is more likely to result in rain or sleet rather than snow.

Main thing is snow showers later Wednesday night, Thursday and Thursday night - and lots of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Time to open a standalone thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Early days for a stand alone Thread. Lets see what Sunday night charts bring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Nabber wrote: »
    Early days for a stand alone Thread. Lets see what Sunday night charts bring.

Yep, we've got things covered here and in the FI thread for the moment

If the mods give the ok I can one together if they like. I don't want to be seen as "thread spamming" - wait and see what a moderator says. I don't think it's needed for a couple of days myself till the specifics are pinned down. Almost certain heavy and frequent snow showers and settling snow from later Tuesday night particularly north and west but not exclusively!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I want snow and bundles of it for the kids, but please please no fecking snow Friday night/Saturday morning, headed back to Glasgow for the Celtic/Huns game:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

If the mods give the ok I can one together if they like. I don't want to be seen as "thread spamming" - wait and see what a moderator says. I don't think it's needed for a couple of days myself till the specifics are pinned down. Almost certain heavy and frequent snow showers and settling snow from later Wednesday night particularly north and west but not exclusively!

Almost certain lol, seriously you should know better Darkman.

All aboard the Greenland express...

ECH1-96.GIF?24-0

ECH0-96.GIF?24-0
    Almost certain lol, seriously you should know better Darkman.

I'm not saying it's gonna happen except it is is gonna happen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Weather after the news said getting colder from midweek with snow showers,looking good

12z ECM has the cold snap starting later Tuesday night and lasting right the way through to beyond the end of the run. Very good run if you want cold, ice and snow.

Wednesday 12 pm 96 hrs

Recm961.gif

Friday 12 pm 144 hrs

Recm1441.gif

Sunday 1st Feb 192 hrs

Recm1921.gif

Tuesday 3rd Feb 240 hrs

Recm2401.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭esposito

12z ECM has the cold snap starting later Tuesday night and lasting right the way through to beyond the end of the run. Very good run if you want cold, ice and snow.

Could we use the word 'spell' instead of 'snap' please. Snap to me means 3 or 4 days of cold max. This could be longer than that as you alluded to.

Cold spell/blast would be much better. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Just for a bit of a tease. The holy grail of northern blocks.

gens-4-1-384.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    I want snow and bundles of it for the kids, but please please no fecking snow Friday night/Saturday morning, headed back to Glasgow for the Celtic/Huns game:rolleyes:
    Huns?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Main thing is snow showers later Wednesday night, Thursday and Thursday night - and lots of them.

Fantastic, you were spot on last time out Kermit so looking forward to some white hills.

Just to say it's actually from later Tuesday night the cold spell/snap/phase/period starts. I kept saying Wednesday night for some reason :pac::o It's the early hours of Wednesday morning the showers packing in to the west should turn quickly to snow and continue through the day and through Wednesday night and in to Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Huns?:rolleyes:
    that team that used to be Rangers so yeah Huns is the term used??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

If the mods give the ok I can one together if they like. I don't want to be seen as "thread spamming" - wait and see what a moderator says. I don't think it's needed for a couple of days myself till the specifics are pinned down. Almost certain heavy and frequent snow showers and settling snow from later Wednesday night particularly north and west but not exclusively!
    Aye,it's a stronger longer version of the spell last Tuesday week
    From an imby eastern perspective,this is about as useful to Dublin -Wexford as the 2010 north easterlies were to Kerry
    Unless it nuances a bit as the details firm up with some North easterlies to spread the wealth like :D

Masses of potential in Sligo and mayo and inland a good chunk from those counties to say Longford all of Ulster and west Munster and north Leinster
    I feel sorry for mountainyman because he may get a track machine to dig out to be honest if this pans out :eek:

Aye,it's a stronger longer version of the spell last Tuesday week
    From an imby eastern perspective,this is about as useful to Dublin -Wexford as the 2010 north easterlies were to Kerry
    Unless it nuances a bit as the details firm up with some North easterlies to spread the wealth like :D

Masses of potential in Sligo and mayo and inland a good chunk from those counties to say Longford all of Ulster and west Munster and north Leinster
    I feel sorry for mountainyman because he may get a track machine to dig out to be honest if this pans out :eek:

I think given the strong winds and direction (one of the shortest west to east land tracks), the unstable nature of the flow (there will be massive showers coming in off the Atlantic similar to last time) and it's just that little bit later with a little bit more energy from the light bulb in the sky you may be surprised!

Don't normally but what the hell

114_35.gif

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

From Derek Brockway BBC Wales tweet,this screen grab sort of underlines how good rare true polar north/ nortwesterlies are for the west and north and Midlands but not for the East as they also divert the great Irish sea snow machine into Wales :o

http://imgur.com/dzfKzhA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ok, this is getting a bit too good to look at, think Il bow out here and save the heartache from the downgrades to come in the next few days :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement