Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Porsche 924 Superthread

• 13-01-2015 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

MOD: All Porsche 924 related things go into this new Superthread

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 924 and am starting to do a few bits to get it ready for the season Anyone got or know where I could buy a driver seat with the black & white pascha finish

Regards

M

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Can't help with the seat, but bump this post with a few pics and you might catch the eye of one of the many other 924 owners in the forum and get lucky. :)

Would be great to see one more on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I think there's a couple of breakers on Donedeal at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 streacy

micko38 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I recently purchased a 924 and am starting to do a few bits to get it ready for the season Anyone got or know where I could buy a driver seat with the black & white pascha finish

Regards

M

If the seat itself isn't too bad you could get it re-upholstered with the original material. It's still available from "Werk 924" in Germany. They have a shop on their website, can't post the link as I'm apparently a "new user"!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Micko 38, there is a man in Portlaoise, that breaks 924. He has Ads. in D.D.

While we are on about Porsche 924s. My one cut out, and will not start. The garage now thinks it has to be the immobiliser, as they have tried everything else. Does anyone know about re setting it. They have done all the usual stuff, disconnected the battery overnight. Locked all the doors, and re opened them, but no luck. Called Lock Doctors to day, the car is too old ( 1983 ) so they cant help, or suggest anyone. Is there anyone out there that would have the electronic equipment that would go back that far, or know of any solution to the problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭micko38

Ye Have tried the breakers nothing in stock attached is material type. Thanks Streacy I'll try werk

wn2bW7.jpg

• Advertisement

mattroche wrote: »
    While we are on about Porsche 924s. My one cut out, and will not start. The garage now thinks it has to be the immobiliser, as they have tried everything else. Does anyone know about re setting it. They have done all the usual stuff, disconnected the battery overnight. Locked all the doors, and re opened them, but no luck. Called Lock Doctors to day, the car is too old ( 1983 ) so they cant help, or suggest anyone. Is there anyone out there that would have the electronic equipment that would go back that far, or know of any solution to the problem. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Is it a factory-fitted immobiliser? I have one on my own '83 but it's an aftermarket jobbie that requires a socket type key inserted before you turn on the ignition.

I assume nothing happens at all when you turn the key?

Thanks Dades, I understand it is factory fitted. When you turn the key, the engine turns over, there is a weak spark for a second, and that it. The engine keeps turning, but it will not fire.

I didn't know they had immobilisers. I'd guess an ignition problem somewhere else..

I'd have thought an immobiliser would cut the power so even the starter motor wouldn't turn over. Sounds like the fuel pump - whether the immobiliser has disabled it, or something more simple like a fuse or a relay?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Changed the thread title and made it into a Porsche 924 Superthread. Everything 924 related goes in here now :)

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    I'd have thought an immobiliser would cut the power so even the starter motor wouldn't turn over. Sounds like the fuel pump - whether the immobiliser has disabled it, or something more simple like a fuse or a relay?

Nah, they cut the ignition, otherwise you could bump start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 streacy

Micko 38, there is a man in Portlaoise, that breaks 924. He has Ads. in D.D.

Might be worth your while asking on the Porsche 924 owners club (UK) forum. They have a "New Owner Technical" forum where you can ask a few questions before joining up. Lots of good stuff in the technical forums too if you do join.

Porsche 924 Up Date. The garage have by-passed the immobiliser, there is petrol coming to the injectors, there is spark at the distributor, but very poor & intermittent spark at the plug when they crank the engine. It would seem to be something small, but they cannot put their finger on it. It has had new Dist, Cap & Rotor arm, fuel pump relay, new plugs & leads, going to try a new coil, to see if that makes any difference! Any other suggestions? Thank you all for your contributions so far.

The ignition module near the left wheel well?

http://www.porsche924-944.nl/manual/Haynes/05_Ignition.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Porsche 924 Up Date. The garage have by-passed the immobiliser, there is petrol coming to the injectors, there is spark at the distributor, but very poor & intermittent spark at the plug when they crank the engine. It would seem to be something small, but they cannot put their finger on it. It has had new Dist, Cap & Rotor arm, fuel pump relay, new plugs & leads, going to try a new coil, to see if that makes any difference! Any other suggestions? Thank you all for your contributions so far.

Sounds like the coil alright.

Agricola wrote: »
    Sounds like the coil alright.

You'd think the mechanics would know this within a few minutes! :eek:

Thanks for the update - you'll get it sorted soon I'm sure!

While it's been too wet to do any work on my car I've been having lustful thoughts about changing my steering wheel.

My wheel is stock (that's it, below) but the leather is wearing off in several places and I've used Sugru to patch up a rip in the "2 o'clock" position but that is peeling too. Normally I love originality but since I need a new wheel I've been thinking of a change. Top of my current list is a Momo Prototipo. Not entirely left-field as they're pretty common other Porsches.

Anyone changed their wheel from stock?

Seems pretty straightforward with a Porsche-Momo boss. Was thinking of maybe putting one of these on too to raise it up a fraction and gain a bit of legroom.

Current wheel
    6mJhfW.jpg

Prototipo in a 924 (would be a black hub, though).
    5RXcLx.jpg
    Porsche+interior+pic+1.JPG

Ah, saw that on the Sugru site. ;)

Ah, saw that on the Sugru site. ;)
    Another fix of mine is in the booklet they send out with certain sugru packs! Big fan of the stuff - very handy for car fixes. Though since the price went up I feel they're charging too much.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Another fix of mine is in the booklet they send out with certain sugru packs! Big fan of the stuff - very handy for car fixes. Though since the price went up I feel they're charging too much.

Free delivery this month, I think.. Amazon does anyway. I made a boot lock grommet for my 924, and new buffers for the petrol flap. :D

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Don't do it Dades! I hate that Style wheel you have, I had it on two of my 924's. My current one has the much nicer later one. I'd vote to get a nice newer one! Mine is the same one as below.
    A couple of years ago I looked into getting one just like that, but now I've just gone right off them. The 924 handles like a go-kart and that just comes across as a GT wheel. Of course it's a matter of taste and whoever buys my car next might hate what I do with it. :)
    On my own 924 I am still trying to get a steering rack. I have had 4 people offer me one and none have replied to my PM's :(
    Ofter I wonder what is wrong with people.

The square ones are a bit to modern for me, but I have just the one for you.

personal.bisiluro2_g.jpg

http://www.mrsteeringwheel.com/nardi-bisiluro-limited-edition-for-collection-5201-38-3700/

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

mattroche wrote:

Matt,the likely scenario with the ignition on a 924 is either the Transister unit is breaking down [ which is common ] or the coil failing that it could also be the distributer.if you are getting spark at the plugs it could also be you are either getting too much fuel or not enough,in order to rectify the fuel issue if thats the problem you will need a long reach 3m allen key which you put into the small hole between the airflow meter and fuel distribution unit,be careful on turning it as you should only need to turn it a 1/4 turn either way at a time then try to start the car ?
    Hope that helps,the trick to solving any mechanical or electrical problems on a 924 is down to the process of elimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....no to the Momo one - doesn't suit it. Either the 944 type above, or a Clubsport wheel like my old one:

DSC00783-M.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The clubsport one was top of the list at one point, alright.

Still can't see beyond a new Prototipo at the moment but given this will be a birthday present to myself, I've a month or two to change my mind. :)

Any decent car shows coming up? Wouldn't mind a steering wheel reccie and my young fella keeps asking me when we can go to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That clubsport one would be my favourite. I bet its the most expensive.

beauf wrote: »
    That clubsport one would be my favourite. I bet its the most expensive.
    Not cheap, alright.

Watching this one on eBay at the moment.

$_12.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

On my own 924 I am still trying to get a steering rack. I have had 4 people offer me one and none have replied to my PM's :(

Did you get sorted for a rack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Not the worst price..

Did you see the winning bid was €237.70?

Advertisement