Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Paddyfield wrote: »
    I love shopping in independently owned shops. Usually, the staff are proud and enthusiastic and the owner is behind the counter or near-by.

And arsehole customers (the genuine arseholes not someone with a legitimate gripe) are told to go forth and multiply. Helps ALOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I do not set the prices. I just take the money.

Well stuff is too expensive in some shops - you are the point of contact, just say, I know, is a bit pricey.

I cannot control the weather. Yes, it is ****ing cold.

It is called small talk - make an effort :rolleyes:

It is not my fault if people decide to count out every last copper on the counter.

Em - they need to give you money - what else should they do

It is not my fault if I have to follow practice and policy and procedure.

Just explain that - fine.

It is not my fault that the shop does not open on Christmas Day.

Again - small talk and you are the point of information for shop.

It is not my fault if we are not a bank, therefore, no, I cannot exchange your Sterling for you.

Just a tourist or asking, no big deal

It is not my fault if the coffee isn't to your standards. I did not grow the beans.

Coffee in some shop is shocking, if you get too many of these mention it to manager - try get it improved thanks.

Many people here are complaining about customers - the workers on this thread seem a precious self righteous bunch .

If you don't like job - up skill get another job. It is not our fault you are not cut out for the job.

LIDL have very pleasant staff, fast, friendly, a smile. If you went on as ye talk about here, you wouldn't last there I'd say.

Your dealing with the public, it is part of the job.

Oh I see you're on the phone, I'll just take your money and wish you a pleasent day while you continue to talk on the phone and ignore me.

Oh that's ok, I wasn't expecting you to say thanks.

Yeah that CD is on the wall right next to you, if you took 2 seconds to look you'd have found it, but it's OK, i'll tell you where it is in a pleasant manner even though you're a blind ****ing idiot.

Yeah I know our shop is a disgrace for not having it in stock but things sell out and it takes time to come back in if the suppliers can't get it for us.

Sorry that you scratched your cd/game..I'll exchange it for you without judging you for not being able to correctly handle a disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Has anyone seen the show "The Paradise"? The passion those folks had for retail was amazing. Obviously they'd never worked at Zellers, (the former Canadian equivalent to Walmart).

I worked there when I was in high school and a good two thirds of the staff were high school students who didn't care. The next year I went on to bigger and better (and better paid things) at Sears, It's amazing how much difference a better wage and better training makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

If you don't like job - up skill get another job.

Thanks, I never thought of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

I do not set the prices. I just take the money.

Well stuff is too expensive in some shops - you are the point of contact, just say, I know, is a bit pricey.

I cannot control the weather. Yes, it is ****ing cold.

It is called small talk - make an effort :rolleyes:

It is not my fault if people decide to count out every last copper on the counter.

Em - they need to give you money - what else should they do

It is not my fault if I have to follow practice and policy and procedure.

Just explain that - fine.

It is not my fault that the shop does not open on Christmas Day.

Again - small talk and you are the point of information for shop.

It is not my fault if we are not a bank, therefore, no, I cannot exchange your Sterling for you.

Just a tourist or asking, no big deal

It is not my fault if the coffee isn't to your standards. I did not grow the beans.

Coffee in some shop is shocking, if you get too many of these mention it to manager - try get it improved thanks.

Many people here are complaining about customers - the workers on this thread seem a precious self righteous bunch .

If you don't like job - up skill get another job. It is not our fault you are not cut out for the job.

LIDL have very pleasant staff, fast, friendly, a smile. If you went on as ye talk about here, you wouldn't last there I'd say.

Your dealing with the public, it is part of the job.

You haven't worked in retail. Having fun in your office behind your computer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I hated it. The stupid air of responsibility. I worked in a supermarket and it was always rush rush rush with managers. Some insane competition to get food out as quick as you could. Drove me nuts. Basically a combination of stupid management i.e getting too much products in and their manager above them putting pressure on them to meet targets. This just meant the floor staff were scrutinized and giving stupid instructions. Most managers were idiots anyway.

I hated the repetition of it and the fact you had to appear tidy. Get lost. If I want to grow a bit of facial hair I will. If you don't like it stuff it. Not like everything sold isn't super packaged and protected anyway so couldn't even get it from a hygiene point of view. In general I hated the conformity of it all. Clocking in. Wearing a uniform with a nob name badge. Jesus as if anyone in the public cared or managers would remember your name. Or the fact that you couldn't even talk for just a minute to a co worker when there was evidently no more work to be done or it was real quiet. A stupid industry all over really.

The public as well. They were shocked when products sold out. Yes it does happen. No you are not special and there is one left for you. No sorry it's not my fault these things happen. I don't care if you think it's a disgrace. What's a disgrace is you think you can talk to some kid like that and think you're justified to do that.

I mean this in no bad way to anyone making a full time career in retail. But I think you have to have a little lack of self respect and be willing to work such a crappy job for ages until it becomes bearable or at least until you move up the ladder. Most if not all people I know who have worked in retail have said the same thing. Get out of retail as soon as you can. The effort put in could go to something much more productive. Just use it as an ends to a means.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

dmc17 wrote: »
    The same way you accessed it the last time...

I think you need to apply for access if you haven't done before

None of them folks mod ranting and raving any more. Nor do I I'm afraid.

So the 12 people who PM'd me - I cannot help.
    These people do mod the place though and can help:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=83089
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=180445
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=236264

As as I mentioned before, I am actually quite good at my job. Yes, it's not rocket science. But I don't appreciate rude people or people giving ME stick about things that are OUT out my control.
    I don't appreciate people calling me names for no reason.
    I don't appreciate people with bad manners. If I say hello to you, I kind of expect similar back.
    Please and Thank You were be great too, but then again, I wouldn't want to put the customer out or anything.

I think you FixdePitchmark posted for a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,813 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

berger89 wrote: »
    You haven't worked in retail. Having fun in your office behind your computer?

No - just some of the people have a serious attitude problem.

My point is, I've seen people very good and well suited to it.

I think people who are not good at their job or not cut out for it - perhaps become overly irritated over the slightest things.

I just picked out one post. And, everything in it about customers was weak to say the least.

Yes you are going to have 2 or 3 out of 100 that are assholes,
    But the majority of people are grand, and the atmosphere and tone of the interaction is set by the person working.

As I said - why is LIDL and ALDI so good.

To be honest, it sounds like some posters know, it is a job they are not sticking at, so treat the job like ****.

If they are working in any job - it sounds like they will be problematic all their career.

I've worked in every type of job you can think of - it is an attitude thing.

I'm sick of grumpy people working in retail - I'm a customer dude. I'm sound, make an effort - two way street.

My point is, I've seen people very good and well suited to it.

I think people who are not good at their job or not cut out for it - perhaps become overly irritated over the slightest things.

I just pick out on post. And, everything in it about customers was weak to say the least.

Yes you are going to have 2 or 3 out of 100 that are assholes,
    But the majority of people are grand, and the atmosphere and tone of the interaction is set by the person working.

As I said - why is LIDL and ALDI so good.

To be honest, it sounds like some posters know, it is a job they are not sticking at, so treat the job like ****.

If they are working in any job - it sounds like they will be problematic all their career.

I've worked in every type of job you can think of - it is an attitude thing.

I'm sick of grumpy people working in retail - I'm a customer dude. I'm sound, make an effort - two way street.

OK, I get that. I too, whilst retail is not my ideal job, I'm good at it. I am efficient, proficient, polite, mannerly, courteous etc etc.
    It's when it gets thrown back in your face thats the sickener. And to be honest, where I work, it's not 2 or 3 out of 100. It's honestly 6 or 7 out of 10. No messing. It gets frustrating because people come in, and treat me and my colleagues like I am **** on their shoe. That's not on. I am a good worker. I pay my taxes. I've been working in retail pretty much for the last 9 years (I'm 25). I do my job well. I treat EVERYONE with respect, no matter who they are.
    I don't appreciate people not reciprocating this. This is what gets me down. I try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

I've worked in retail for 8 years (9 Christmases) and I'm starting to realise that my spirit has been crushed. I did 6 years full time and i'm in my third year working 3 day weekends - I went back to college to try to escape. I've never been particularly unpleasant with customers but lately people are getting more and more brazen with the bull****. I had a person recently try to return something she had bought 9 months previously and wouldn't take no for an answer when I explained the 28 day returns policy.
    The worst part of my job absolutely isn't the customers though, it's the inefficient way things are run from head office. They've recently decided that shop staff are incapable of deciding how much stock we need in the stores so they've taken all ordering ability away from us. That includes not allowing us to put through customer orders to the company warehouse. If a customer wants us to order something specific we have to order from a third party supplier in the UK, which obviously takes longer to come in and costs the company more. It just doesn't make any sense but obviously the people keeping the shops open couldn't possibly understand how their own stores should be run! The sooner I get out of retail the better.. Honestly feels like that day will never come.

Where's this ranting and raving forum I keep seeing mentioned? Who do I have to contact to get access?

I'm sound, make an effort - two way street.

This is the thing. I didn't have an attitude problem. I had colleagues who did. I was sound, I made an effort, and when some customers don't, and you come up against this a few times a day, every day, it gets a bit soul destroying.

You can have a great day dealing with 50 or 500 lovely customers, but one person really has the power to ruin your day, and you just have to let them at it.

I have a very strong, outgoing personality and I really had to not be myself for a few hours a day, which was very difficult. I had to be submissive, and if a customer wanted to walk all over me, I had to let them because standing up for myself would be badly representing the company, blah blah. If people are rude (customers or management), you can't be rude back, or try to make them see things your way, you just have to bite your tongue and let them at it. This is, I think, an example of me having this good attitude you refer to, but like I said it doesn't change how people treat you, and I found this hard to deal with, but never let it get in the way of my professionalism.

This notion of repetitiveness that people are referring to is key; one rude customer doesn't make the job hell. One rude customer an hour, all day, every day, makes you lose faith in humanity a wee bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

If you have been reading through this thread you could see some posts saying people are very happy in their areas of employment now. I'm much the same. I work in a job where I am behind a counter but my manager leaves me to it and treats me with respect and doesn't impose ridiculous rules and norms.

All people want is a bit of respect and a human element to it. (Which is a universally human thing) Which is utterly devoid nearly in retail environments with eyeful managers and stupid codes of conduct which don't allow you to say someone to get f****d when they need to be told or when you have to tell someone you're going to the toilet. Ridiculous things like that wear you down.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Robsweezie wrote: »
    to all retail workers past and present, what is/was it like for you? is it just a means to an end in terms of financial stability or do you actually enjoy it? any tips you could offer to survive the job?

Best thing about retail is how you learn how pricing works. Everything is marked up at least 10-20% so that when they give a 10% discount loyalty card that means that a few saps pay normal prices and the majority of saps pay above the odds.
    Check out what they pay for procurement and you will be able to get a 200 euro pair of jeans for 12 quid and they'll still make a profit...albeit pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Egginacup wrote: »
    Best thing about retail is how you learn how pricing works. Everything is marked up at least 10-20% so that when they give a 10% discount loyalty card that means that a few saps pay normal prices and the majority of saps pay above the odds.
    Check out what they pay for procurement and you will be able to get a 200 euro pair of jeans for 12 quid and they'll still make a profit...albeit pennies.

Common mark up is as high as 75%. When I set prices in new products 60% was my minimum margin set by head office.
    For certain products though the mark up is not that high, I had to use a lot of "would I pay this" for a good few products.

Heads up to people who buy pet food - don't ask for a discount we only add on roughly 10% to cost price :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

It's an awful pity that someone hasn't thought of promoting the floor staff and cashiers straight up to the head of management of these retail firms. It's clear from this thread that everyone in management is an idiot and the grumpy retail staff are much more qualified.

Must bang off an email to Dave Lewis in the morning and tell him he's got his corporate structure arse about face.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I've worked in many different shops three burger kings and I'm back working in food again now.

No wonder I don't like people!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

It's an awful pity that someone hasn't thought of promoting the floor staff and cashiers straight up to the head of management of these retail firms. It's clear from this thread that everyone in management is an idiot and the grumpy retail staff are much more qualified.

Must bang off an email to Dave Lewis in the morning and tell him he's got his corporate structure arse about face.

Problem is the lower staff are the ones when promoted are the ones that become nazis they get a bit of power and go crazy.

It would be better if all management actually came from college with a degree as most retail management have no real idea of managerial theory works

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What would work better would be for those up above to actually spend some time in the trenches. Far too many Field Marshall Haig's in the upper echelons of the retail industry.

P_1 wrote: »
    What would work better would be for those up above to actually spend some time in the trenches. Far too many Field Marshall Haig's in the upper echelons of the retail industry.

Both the German retailer's (Aldi and Lidl) managerial training programmes involve around 3 months on the floor stacking shelves and manning the tills I believe. Not sure if its a practice in the other large stores, but it seems to work well for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Both the German retailer's (Aldi and Lidl) managerial training programmes involve around 3 months on the floor stacking shelves and manning the tills I believe. Not sure if its a practice in the other large stores, but it seems to work well for them.

Sadly I don't believe many other retailers employ such a sound policy. It'd be quite useful for decision makers to be able to see the impacts of these decisions first hand as opposed to a glossed over report.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Turn over of store managers in lidl is very high I believe, ferocious targets and dogs abuse etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Worked a few different retail jobs years ago and while it's true you have to deal with awful cnuts, there was always some people working with you that had this corny Clerks take on the job: that it was somehow beneath them and therefore the customers were somehow supposed to pay for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ninety6days

Turn over of store managers in lidl is very high I believe, ferocious targets and dogs abuse etc

Colossal wage for as long as you can stick it though. Great way to save for emigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

* When people ask "is there any discount? Can you give me discount? But I'm a paying customer, why can't you give me discount?"... Uh, because it's not on sale, you dumbass.

* "Can I pay in installments? Do you take a deposit?"... No. This isn't a mortgage you're getting, it's an item worth €60.

* "I'd like to speak to the manager"... Yeah and he'll tell you the exact same thing I just told you. Managers don't have magical powers or bow to unreasonable demands.

I work in a department store and although 90% of the customers are lovely, there's always a few that automatically think that just because you stand behind a till, you have failed at life or are on some sort of work programme for the challenged. The worst is when you greet someone with a polite "hello, how are you?" and they just completely ignore you; as if you don't even exist. Say hi. Exchange pleasantries with me. Fúcking just grunt at me, but DO NOT act like I'm invisible.

oh retail......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

Working in retail is awful. People treat you like you are below them on a daily basis and really get a kick out of belittling you. And when I say people I am talking about both the customers AND the managers.

Best way to get through it is to enjoy the friendships you make with coworkers and to try brush off the abuse. Took me a long time to realise it but killing people with kindness really does work!

macyard wrote: »
    It would be better if all management actually came from college with a degree as most retail management have no real idea of managerial theory works

College with a degree? I have a degree and have no idea of managerial theory. My manager had a degree in a field completely unrelated to business, and was an excellent manager. The assistant manager didn't have a degree and also knew exactly what she was doing. I think the staff in head office definitely didn't study anything that would have helped them with where they were working. It all comes down to personality in my opinion. Common sense, a sense of accountability, patience, empathy and incredible organisational skills and foresight, are just some skills I can think of that she had that don't come from any degree.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Everybody should be forced to work a year in retail.

It would make the whole shopping experience much better for everyone when they have been on the receiving end of some hideous cnut of a customer.
    So they will not do it to someone else.

Edit:
    Only seeing AlmightyCushion's post now, suggesting the same and mentioning military service.
    Having people do both would make a lot of people be less of a cnut i think.

inforfun wrote: »
    Everybody should be forced to work a year in retail.

An utterly preposterous idea. What would it prove - that some people aren't very pleasant? Most retail work is low skill and low stress, with low wages as a result. It isn't open heart surgery we're on about here. A positive attitude towards your work will result in you feeling happier. If retail is that arduous a role then some of the posters here should consider a change of career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

An utterly preposterous idea. What would it prove - that some people aren't very pleasant? Most retail work is low skill and low stress, with low wages as a result. It isn't open heart surgery we're on about here. A positive attitude towards your work will result in you feeling happier. If retail is that arduous a role then some of the posters here should consider a change of career.

Most people do and even more see it as a means to an end like most of the service sector in Ireland. The issue is crappy day to day interactions with everyone. From the head office staff who have no idea what it's like 'at the coal face' (ahem looking in your direction) to managers who have got to where they are through their ability to lick arse and being there for a while, other staff that don't give a toss but above all that, as people have been trying to tell you, arsehole customers.

What is high stress about most jobs? The interactions with those that share the space. Yes there are some jobs that are genuinely high stress; test pilot, certain surgeons, soldier but everything else by your definition is low stress. The CEO of a major company is under the exact same pressures as a store manager in Lidl just with bigger numbers. In fact the CEO is likely to be able to afford his mortgage is things go tits up where has the LIDL manager is out on his arse.

While there is a lot of hamming going on in this thread, as to be expected in any thread on these type of jobs, you've admitted you've absolutely no idea what you're talking about which makes the suggestion everyone should give it a shot not preposterous at all.

If you think that being told you're getting 8 hours off over Xmas isn't stressful when you have a family and a bull**** job you're out of your mind. At least if you're a nurse/doctor/policeman you're doing something useful. A new pair of jeans will keep until the 27th December. Which takes me back to - it's because people are arseholes.

Advertisement