Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Easy for someone who has never worked in retail before.

Hard to smile at customers and their rediculous problems when you've just left an hour long scream fest by the boss.
    I'm sure all the retail staff reading this will eagerly take note of recommendations from someone who has never done the job

Complete red herring. Not having worked in the field is irrelevant. I am more than capable of offering some constructive advice as a customer. People can take my advice on board (trust me it's good advice) or they can ignore it and continue to provide poor service and wallow in cynicism and self-pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The majority of retail employees will treat the majority of customers very well. The majority of customers are civil and polite. My God though the c**ts are the worst I have ever come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Complete red herring. Not having worked in the field is irrelevant. I am more than capable of offering some constructive advice as a customer. People can take my advice on board (trust me it's good advice) or they can ignore it and continue to provide poor service and wallow in cynicism and self-pity.

3/10
    Must try harder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Advice always seems good until your the one taking it. When you work there it's different from anything you may think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Be polite and courteous to customers. You need to make sure that they feel like you are doing your absolute best to ensure their needs are looked after. Happy customers spend more. Unhappy ones won't return and without customers you're out of a job!

Finally, the most important one....SMILE!! Nothing more annoying than having some with a big scowly head handing over your coffee. A smile costs nothing.

I actually agree with most of what you're saying but these points.

-Irish customers don't shop on service. They shop almost exclusively on price. They couldn't give a rats behind in most cases hence why TK Maxx, Lidl and Aldi will always be profitable and why Ryanair is one of (if not the) biggest airlines in Europe.

-Front line retail staff are not paid properly so couldn't give a toss if someone comes back. I've worked for numerous companies that couldn't get a commision structure sorted out. Easily solved by managers that actually want to reward staff for a job well done.

-Fake smiles - I'd rather have someone efficient and surely than airy fairy and take forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Not having worked in the field is irrelevant. I am more than capable of offering some constructive advice as a customer. People can take my advice on board (trust me it's good advice) or they can ignore it and continue to provide poor service and wallow in cynicism and self-pity.

Not having worked in the field LITERALLY makes you incapable of offering advice to those who do.

Who said we provide poor service, or wallow in cynicism and self pity? I worked 2 years in retail, didn't provide poor service, didn't wallow in anything, followed all your great advice, and people were still assholes. You can do your very best at your job, you can't control the deluded people that come in to your store. This is why posters are saying we should have mandatory retail/hospitality service, it's a great idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm sure all the retail staff reading this will eagerly take note of recommendations from someone who has never done the job
    Coffee you say.

Try having been there at 5am to get the place open, probably out at 10pm the previous night. You close at 9pm but have a policy of never asking awkward **** sorry highly valued customers to leave and the cleaning required can't be done with them in the store and takes two back breaking hours for 3 people but so that the area manager can have a pay rise you've 30 minutes and 1 other member of staff.

Oh and don't forget to cash up in that time and woe betide tide you if more than €5 is missing as loss prevention will be on to you.

As I say massive proportion of ****.

God, you'd swear retail workers have some sacred bond that can only be understood by anyone who's cut a baguette lengthwise for a living.

I worked retail full time for a while and I agree with your man. Maintain a tidy appearance, smile every once in a while, don't scowl at the customers and the day flies by. You'll be back home storming the beaches of Pandoria in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Personally I think it's very relevant that you've never worked retail yet you're trying to give "advice".
    You've never worked in the sector so you don't know the pressure you're under, the constant shouting, demeaning attitude managers have, being so underpaid, working a rolling week so probably on your 10th day working in a row, long unsociable hours and top all that off with more screaming.
    And yet the retail worker will still try to give the best service they can.

I have endured epic screaming rants at me telling me how rubbish I am etc, and with that still very fresh in my head and my heart I will go out to another customer complaint and will still be as polite and help with a smile while inside I am dying.

You are in no position to give any advice.

I can give advice in things I know jack shîte about too!

- Sure bee keeping isn't that hard all you gotta do is wear the suit and you're grand.

- ah it's only deep sea fishing, stop complaining it's just catching fish so what if you get a little wet, just bring a towel.

- ah sure anyone can wire a house .. It's only a little electrick shock what do you need an ambulance for you're job is just putting wires together. Next time wear rubber boots!

It's people like you who are the customers that beings out the worst in a retail employee.

God, you'd swear retail workers have some sacred bond that can only be understood by anyone who's cut a baguette lengthwise for a living.

I worked retail full time for a while and I agree with your man. Maintain a tidy appearance, smile every once in a while, don't scowl at the customers and the day flies by. You'll be back home storming the beaches of Pandoria in no time.
    The pair of you should pen a groundbreaking training manual for retail staff, you'll revolutionise the industry...probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I did all this, even went as far as laughing at every customers "oh it isn't scanning it must be free" joke. The day did not fly by.

• Advertisement

The pair of you should pen a groundbreaking training manual for retail staff, you'll revolutionise the industry...probably.

Sorry for interrupting the circlejerk, man. Return to patting each other on the back because some spoiled middle-class people sometimes say mean things to you in a shop. Real Labours of Hercules stuff there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

You can have great days when everything goes like clockwork and your mad busy so the time flies. Also you can have days when some gob****e will put petrol into his diesel car and then March into the shop looking for someone to blame and telling you that you had "better sort it". If you are lucky the good will outweigh the bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

I've never worked in retail myself before, but my observations from interacting with some of the best and some of the downright worst would be as follows:

Take pride in your job. Just because other people view it as a lowly job doesn't mean you can't take pride in your work. Put in the best you can and I'm sure it will be more rewarding.

The next point is linked. Take pride in your appearance. You are the arrowhead of your organisation. You're the one representing your company on the coal face so for heaven's sake dress neatly, iron your shirt/uniform and keep your hair neat, tidy and clean. Nothing worse than engaging with someone who looks like they rolled out of bed and straight into work.

Be polite and courteous to customers. You need to make sure that they feel like you are doing your absolute best to ensure their needs are looked after. Happy customers spend more. Unhappy ones won't return and without customers you're out of a job!

Finally, the most important one....SMILE!! Nothing more annoying than having some with a big scowly head handing over your coffee. A smile costs nothing.

I agree with you, completely. And I do all of those points..except the smiley part. I wouldn't be known as a smiler, but I'd like to think that I am damn good at my job, even if it is only being a cashier.

I can relate to each of the points the fellow retail workers have pointed out here. But I'd honestly be here all night if I was to tell you the kind of customers we've had.
    And customer is always right my hole. I'm sorry, but I don;t appreciate being called a c*unt or a pig or a fool or a dirty eejit, as I have been in the past, for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with me.
    I do not set the prices. I just take the money.
    I cannot control the weather. Yes, it is ****ing cold.
    It is not my fault if people decide to count out every last copper on the counter.
    It is not my fault if I have to follow practice and policy and procedure.
    It is not my fault that the shop does not open on Christmas Day.
    It is not my fault if we are not a bank, therefore, no, I cannot exchange your Sterling for you.
    It is not my fault if the coffee isn't to your standards. I did not grow the beans.

jeez, I feel better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

You can have great days when everything goes like clockwork and your mad busy so the time flies. Also you can have days when some gob****e will put petrol into his diesel car and then March into the shop looking for someone to blame and telling you that you had "better sort it". If you are lucky the good will outweigh the bad.

YEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MissBehaviour

I worked in a Pret A Manger when I was in college in London. Retail isn't the best type of work but I enjoyed most of it. Lots of the customers were lovely. About 1 in 100 was looking for a rant or a fight. They would get you down, but I learned to just pass it off. We are all customers at the end of the day. I would agree with Aongus that being pleasant and positive works. It is not going to be a job for life. You do not want to be one of those employees who acts like Dylan Moran out of Black Books, or the video store guy in Clerks. Your outward appearance and style is a reflection of what you feel like in the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

anyway, back to the OP:
    For me it was a means to an end as I was only working retail to save for a college course in a field I do actually want to work in. There were some people who were happy in the company and who were very good at what they do. Others were just working retail as it was just a job. I didn't mind dealing with the public, most of the time. You definitely need a thick skin though. Try and remember it's just a job and not the end of the world if a customer is rude to you, don't take it personally. Try and leave it all in the shop when you go home for the evening. I usually just pitied people who were on a high horse, and my survival technique was killing them with kindness. It's awesome when it works! They're rude to you repeatedly, and when you refuse to get riled up and continue to smile and be pleasant, they either come around eventually, or else get frustrated with no reaction and give up haha. It's not THAT bad, but one thing I also really missed was the lack of routine. Working any day, somewhere between 9-8, any length of shift, any number of hours in the month, and also never being guaranteed the day off unless you had holidays booked as rosters change, people get sick etc. That was harder for me than any of the difficult customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

berger89 wrote: »

Only until the customer asks for a manager and then said manager acts like you're an incompetent fool and of course the customer is entitled to x, y and z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Worked in it for years but didn't find it challenging at all. Seems to attract a lot of societies laziest arseholes. Wouldn't ever go back to it.

Sorry for interrupting the circlejerk, man. Return to patting each other on the back because some spoiled middle-class people sometimes say mean things to you in a shop. Real Labours of Hercules stuff there.
    I'm not saying it's hard, I'm saying it's crap. Perhaps you'd like to teach some hotel cleaners to whistle while they work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Worked in it for years but didn't find it challenging at all. Seems to attract a lot of societies laziest arseholes. Wouldn't ever go back to it.

I found floor and cashier work grand and thought the exact same thing, as soon as I went up the levels I know longer think that. You need a very thick skin to be able to deal with the constant abuse and you need to be ruthless.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying it's hard, I'm saying it's crap. Perhaps you'd like to teach some hotel cleaners to whistle while they work?

It's not really that bad. Unless it's dangerous or you get ludicrously filthy, most "crap" jobs can be tolerated with a minor attitude adjustment.

There's a serious bang of "first job after leaving school" in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Depends on the type of retail. I worked for Ireland's largest toy retailer and I quit after 2 weeks because the 2 managers were absolute dicks, I then worked for a really small chain of CD/DVD shops and I was there for nearly 4 years and it was the cushiest job I've ever had. You do have to pretty thick skinned and extremley patient because there are days where you lose all hope in humanity after dealing with some absolute idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

There were definitely good sides. Most people were the same age, so it was very friendly and the nights out were great. Some managers were nice. Plenty of customers were pleasant. Impossible to take the work home with you or get bogged down about stuff waiting for you before you got there. Experience gained in dealing with all walks of life, and under time pressure.

So many downsides though. Most can be explained by both the company and far, far too many customers treating you like crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Well stuff is too expensive in some shops - you are the point of contact, just say, I know, is a bit pricey.

It is called small talk - make an effort :rolleyes:

It is not my fault if people decide to count out every last copper on the counter.

Em - they need to give you money - what else should they do

Just explain that - fine.

Again - small talk and you are the point of information for shop.

It is not my fault if we are not a bank, therefore, no, I cannot exchange your Sterling for you.

Just a tourist or asking, no big deal

It is not my fault if the coffee isn't to your standards. I did not grow the beans.

Coffee in some shop is shocking, if you get too many of these mention it to manager - try get it improved thanks.

Many people here are complaining about customers - the workers on this thread seem a precious self righteous bunch .

If you don't like job - up skill get another job. It is not our fault you are not cut out for the job.

LIDL have very pleasant staff, fast, friendly, a smile. If you went on as ye talk about here, you wouldn't last there I'd say.

Your dealing with the public, it is part of the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

It's taking money for stuff off people and issuing a reciept. How hard can it be? I can't remember the last time someone in a shop "sold" me somthing. Walk in, pick up, pay, leave. I've never seen a retail worker get any abuse either, security would feck the customer out so fast their head would spin. "Ohh, Retail, It's tough.." Doubtful, tbh. Dull, more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Its tiring, crushing, and soul destroying. But gotta pay the rent etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

One day I'm gonna own a small shop and serve at the til. Some bint will come in full of moans and unreasonable demands and then I'll just go 'fvck off you intolerable wench' then she'll be all oooh I'm going to tell the manager and I'll be like 'you're talking to him ... Now go on .... Fack off'. Gonna happen.

i did that
    when they annoy me to ring the manager i ring my mobile and chat to myself about the bint in front of me

It's taking money for stuff off people and issuing a reciept. How hard can it be? I can't remember the last time someone in a shop "sold" me somthing. Walk in, pick up, pay, leave. I've never seen a retail worker get any abuse either, security would feck the customer out so fast their head would spin. "Ohh, Retail, It's tough.." Doubtful, tbh. Dull, more like.

Hard? Getting dog's abuse for every single little thing, most of which is either unreasonable or entirely beyond the customer's control is why retail sucks. It's not an unusual occurrence. It's everyday, often several times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I love shopping in independently owned shops. Usually, the staff are proud and enthusiastic and the owner is behind the counter or near-by.

• Advertisement

Well stuff is too expensive in some shops - you are the point of contact, just say, I know, is a bit pricey.

It is called small talk - make an effort :rolleyes:

Em - they need to give you money - what else should they do

Just explain that - fine.

Again - small talk and you are the point of information for shop.

Just a tourist or asking, no big deal

Coffee in some shop is shocking, if you get too many of these mention it to manager - try get it improved thanks.

Many people here are complaining about customers - the workers on this thread seem a precious self righteous bunch .

If you don't like job - up skill get another job. It is not our fault you are not cut out for the job.

LIDL have very pleasant staff, fast, friendly, a smile. If you went on as ye talk about here, you wouldn't last there I'd say.

Your dealing with the public, it is part of the job.

The problem is the repetition. Hearing these things constantly, generally in whiny hostile tones, is still going to wear you down.

Advertisement