Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

They are both isolated. Just tried installing the cd and it's not compatible with windows 8.1 :rolleyes: will try the website

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Software says transfer rate is 83mb but still getting same results in the upc speedtest, I give up.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Guys , cany you shed some light on this for me please .

I'm on Unlimited 240Mb broadband but only getting Download Speed: 94918 kbps (11864.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 24839 kbps (3104.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 6 ms
    Jitter: 2 ms .

I'm using a Sony laptop directly connected to the UPC Cisco with no other devices connected , The laptop has Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller fitted with the latest drivers .

When I connect another laptop to the router I get full 240Mb DL speed .

What can I do to speed the sony up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Get proper driver off manufacturers website. Windows probably installed an older one.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

srsly78 wrote: »
    Get proper driver off manufacturers website. Windows probably installed an older one.

Yep , did that , same result :mad:

• Advertisement

Not from the Sony website, get from atheros. If that still doesn't work there must be a hardware fault.

Not from the Sony website, get from atheros. If that still doesn't work there must be a hardware fault.

Yep , got them direct.

Went into the card properties and changed the following :

1) disable Large Send Offload (IPv4)
    2) enable Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4)
    3) change the Flow control from RX & TX to disabled

Now getting :
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 218496 kbps (27312 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 24922 kbps (3115.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 3 ms
    Jitter: 3 ms
    1/9/2015, 5:21:08 PM

And then :
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 94940 kbps (11867.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 24943 kbps (3117.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 3 ms
    Jitter: 2 ms
    1/9/2015, 5:32:37 PM

Have never had to mess with those properties before. Were you messing around with them in the past?

If you just remove and add card again (via software) it would reset to defaults. Are the defaults broken like that?

Have never had to mess with those properties before. Were you messing around with them in the past?

No , just found something on another site . Have reset all to default now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

So 120mb on ethernet and about 1-2 on Wifi all UPC standard equipment, clearly something very wrong?

Nope that sounds normal for when wifi has a weak signal. Walls will attenuate it and metal will completely block it. Setup multiple wifi hotspots to provide coverage to all areas as needed.

Also depends on your wifi client, it might have bad antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Could also be the channel you're using. There are tools out there to scan and optimise the channel you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Green Tech Geek

Hi,

I hope someone here can help me. I have been having a lot of trouble with UPC. I had the Thompson modem/router, which as we all [should] know is useless. I asked for updated firmware/settings change so that I can bridge it. I was told that Thompson is an excellent router but I was unrealistic in my expectation of a wireless signal on a device further than 10 feet away. Eventually after many conversations along the same lines, and asking for a modem or a modem/router with bridging enabled, I was told that an engineer would call out with a modem. When the engineer arrived, he was unaware of this and told me that UPC don't have modems anymore as they cannot support higher than 30Mb speeds due to DOCSIS 2.0. I let this slide. He eventually went and got an EPC3925 modem/router for me.

When I set it into bridge mode I am getting a private IP address [10.x.x.x] so no internet connection on my ASUS router. I again contacted support, who again didn't even have enough knowledge to understand what I was talking about, and after being on hold on/off for 40 minutes, I was told that a manager said I would have to phone premium support. I asked to speak to that manager and the line promptly went dead. After phoning back again I was ultimately told that UPC does not support bridging [and that all the managers were suddenly in a meeting and wouldn't be available today...] and that the reason businesses can use bridge mode is because of a static IP address. I contacted business sales who told me that I also need to have a special boot file sent to the router by upc before bridge mode will work properly.

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced the same problems or if I am missing something obvious? I have read most of this thread and others and nobody seems to having the same issue that I am. If I missed it in this or somewhere else could someone point me to it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Hi,

I hope someone here can help me.

First of all grats on getting a 3925 :)

I am no expert but from what others have said, they have put you on DS-lite (some form of IPv6).

You need to contact them and ask you to put you back on IPv4 so bridging will function.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi,

I hope someone here can help me. I have been having a lot of trouble with UPC. I had the Thompson modem/router, which as we all [should] know is useless. I asked for updated firmware/settings change so that I can bridge it. I was told that Thompson is an excellent router but I was unrealistic in my expectation of a wireless signal on a device further than 10 feet away. Eventually after many conversations along the same lines, and asking for a modem or a modem/router with bridging enabled, I was told that an engineer would call out with a modem. When the engineer arrived, he was unaware of this and told me that UPC don't have modems anymore as they cannot support higher than 30Mb speeds due to DOCSIS 2.0. I let this slide. He eventually went and got an EPC3925 modem/router for me.

When I set it into bridge mode I am getting a private IP address [10.x.x.x] so no internet connection on my ASUS router. I again contacted support, who again didn't even have enough knowledge to understand what I was talking about, and after being on hold on/off for 40 minutes, I was told that a manager said I would have to phone premium support. I asked to speak to that manager and the line promptly went dead. After phoning back again I was ultimately told that UPC does not support bridging [and that all the managers were suddenly in a meeting and wouldn't be available today...] and that the reason businesses can use bridge mode is because of a static IP address. I contacted business sales who told me that I also need to have a special boot file sent to the router by upc before bridge mode will work properly.

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced the same problems or if I am missing something obvious? I have read most of this thread and others and nobody seems to having the same issue that I am. If I missed it in this or somewhere else could someone point me to it?

Thanks

I have always had very serous reservations about the referrals to that "premium pc support".

moonboy52 wrote: »
    First of all grats on getting a 3925 :)

I am no expert but from what others have said, they have put you on DS-lite (some form of IPv6).

You need to contact them and ask you to put you back on IPv4 so bridging will function.

It was hard work to get it. I have contacted every support department they have numerous times and, bar 2/3 of them, every upc staff member has lied to me about something. I can't say why but it appears that the majority of the time, the reason is ignorance and incompetence. Why can't upc hire technical support people who are qualified to work as technical support?

I am on ds-lite [read: sh1te]. I'm going to contact support again. I do remember reading a thread where upc said that customers could request to be put back on to ipv4 but I wont hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It was hard work to get it. I have contacted every support department they have numerous times and, bar 2/3 of them, every upc staff member has lied to me about something. I can't say why but it appears that the majority of the time, the reason is ignorance and incompetence. Why can't upc hire technical support people who are qualified to work as technical support?

I am on ds-lite [read: sh1te]. I'm going to contact support again. I do remember reading a thread where upc said that customers could request to be put back on to ipv4 but I wont hold my breath.

Contact them here on boards.ie in their talk2 forum, theyre far more helpful than their phone support.

dub45 wrote: »
    I have always had very serous reservations about the referrals to that "premium pc support".

As I mentioned before, anyone who I have spoken to didn't even know what bridging was. One was honest enough to tell me that she learned more about routers speaking to me for 5 minutes than she ever had previously. I asked several times to speak to level 2 or level 3 support but all I got was "upc doesn't support bridging". It seems to me that the only staff upc have that know anything are working in premium support. I am beginning to think they don't even have level 2/3 support at all.

P.s. As a side note, I read in some older posts in this thread that people were told that upc no longer had the epc3925, which obviously isn't true, but one of their engineers told me they had a "warehouse full of them".

ED E wrote: »
    Contact them here on boards.ie in their talk2 forum, theyre far more helpful than their phone support.

Thanks - Just sent a request there. Also thanks for your guides that you have posted. You've fixed a lot of problems for a lot of people. Any chance you'd consider working for UPC so customers can deal with someone who knows what they are talking about???

• Advertisement

Unfortunately its a pipe dream to ever hope for a large scale retail ISP to have decent L1 support. Theyre reserved for large SMEs and corporates.

P.s. As a side note, I read in some older posts in this thread that people were told that upc no longer had the epc3925, which obviously isn't true, but one of their engineers told me they had a "warehouse full of them".

To be fair to L1 CS, they are just reading from a script. I tried everything to get a 3925 from them. No joy at all.

I requested a tech to be sent out and he had a van full of them :)

Unfortunately its a pipe dream to ever hope for a large scale retail ISP to have decent L1 support. Theyre reserved for large SMEs and corporates.
    moonboy52 wrote: »
    To be fair to L1 CS, they are just reading from a script. I tried everything to get a 3925 from them. No joy at all.

I requested a tech to be sent out and he had a van full of them :)

This I understand, as I understand why do they do not supply top [or even middle] of the range router but I do not understand why they have to be dicks about it or why they tell lies. I am not asking them to do something complex, I just want what I paid for and worst of all I am only asking to them to do their job. I don't think I am asking for too much.

I know that Ireland [and most of the world] is being held hostage by ISP's with their terms and conditions that gives them a get out of jail card. I hate seeing ISP will make their best effort to provide the speeds we advertised but we are in no way obliged to provide you with any service whatsoever - I'm paraphrasing but that is essentially what it says. How about if customers said I will make my best effort to pay my bill but I can't promise I will.

[/Rant] [for the moment...]

I got through on live chat and was told that a request was made to put me on ipv4 and it should come through in 24hours once I manually reset my router.

This post is shorter than it was originally - I wanted to post it before the modem/router but it reset itself and as of 5 minutes ago I am on ipv4 with a public address so bridge mode works properly and I am enjoying internet on my proper router, that has proper routing functionality, proper wireless signal and a proper connection that doesn't drop constantly.

Thanks for the help guys - I was literally banging my head off wall. I really appreciate it. And to anyone who has problems with upc "support" - don't give in and just accept what they are telling you. If you have done your research and are confident that they are wrong, just stick to your guns.

I should point out that I was told by live chat support that ipv6 would only be enable again if I changed the 3925 or if I changed my package and not by resetting it - for those of you who are afraid of resetting in case you get stuck with ipv6 although it might be worth confirming whether it will be the same for you before you do it.

You know you could have had all that without bridging right?

Thanks for the help guys - I was literally banging my head off wall.

No problem man, if i had not read what the guys here said, i would be banging my head off the wall too. Changing cables etc.

Thank you for the follow up. I am sure it will help others :)

You know you could have had all that without bridging right?

I do but that is not the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Does anyone know how to login to their Technicolor router to change settings? I go to http://192.168.0.1/login.asp# and get the login screen but nothing works. Leaving it blank doesn't work. admin/password doesn't work.

Wondering what to try next?

EDIT: Got it - http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/835/~/technicolor-tc7200-modem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i bought an epc3925 from adverts. UPC said i cannot use it. any work arounds?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i bought an epc3925 from adverts. UPC said i cannot use it. any work arounds?

Nope. They have to provision any modem connected to their cable. If they wont budge its a no go.

As the modem you bought is technically stolen property theyll never agree to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Nope. They have to provision any modem connected to their cable. If they wont budge its a no go.

As the modem you bought is technically stolen property theyll never agree to do it.

crap. they took my one back after "upgrading" me to the oh so wonderfull horizon. i guess im stuck with the ****ty ubee(who even are they?) branded router they sent out after i moaned about horizon.

Advertisement