Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk tanks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Regardless which tank you buy a plate cooler set up properly will cut your cooling costs by half . Also if you had the tank cooling on night rate electricity this will help as well .

Not really practical for a dx tank, having said that mine is off about 30mins after milking anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Timmaay wrote: »
    Not really practical for a dx tank, having said that mine is off about 30mins after milking anyways.

Why not Tim? IF you had one your tank would be off before you turn off the machine

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Why not Tim? IF you had one your tank would be off before you turn off the machine
    true, most milkings the tank is off before i finish up, when i had old tanks it was hours after milking before cooling finished, i have a plate cooler

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oooge1

What milk tank did you go with whelan2 in the end

Went with packo. Didn't like dairymaster sales man

• Advertisement

Sorry I meant the night rate. Got a plate cooler ready to go on the new parlour. The darakool salesman said a single 5hp compressor would be fine for a 11kL tank, but some people spec 2 of them, however a plate cooler would be a far better investment.

Sorry I meant the night rate. Got a plate cooler ready to go on the new parlour. The darakool salesman said a single 5hp compressor would be fine for a 11kL tank, but some people spec 2 of them, however a plate cooler would be a far better investment.

I'd have two on that size and a plate cooler , to be fair a compressor less would knock 3k off d price. Some can be set up to cool the milk to 2deg before you milk in d morning on night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Dairy master tank has a "night mode" .
    The normal temp setting is 3.7 but on night mode the temp is brought down to 2.4 ?, I think, during night rate hours
    Haven't used it yet as there isn't enough milk in it at moment to have the setting turned on

I'd have two on that size and a plate cooler , to be fair a compressor less would knock 3k off d price. Some can be set up to cool the milk to 2deg before you milk in d morning on night rate.

If and hopefully when I'm consistently filling the tank I'll consider installing a 2nd compressor if needed, for now I'm going to have it max 1/2 filled.

If and hopefully when I'm consistently filling the tank I'll consider installing a 2nd compressor if needed, for now I'm going to have it max 1/2 filled.

Ah yeah that's grand if half filling, plate cooler is d job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I paid a deposit on a tank last spring they were supposed to fit it in November, no sign of them yet. However the tank is too big for my needs now, I must call to them Monday to see if they can give me a smaller tank instead. I wonder what they will say? can they make me take the original tank or will I end up losing the deposit?

Depends, if they have it shipped and ready to be put in, and have to send it back etc as a result of you cancelling I would not begrudge them covering their costs, however its definitely worth calling them up ASAP and see, you have a good chance of them letting you change once either they don't have yourown ordered, or have another buyer if they do.

I paid a deposit on a tank last spring they were supposed to fit it in November, no sign of them yet. However the tank is too big for my needs now, I must call to them Monday to see if they can give me a smaller tank instead. I wonder what they will say? can they make me take the original tank or will I end up losing the deposit?
    i didnt hear from back for about 4 months after i ordered -thankfully as finance was a problem- when i rang them they had the wrong contact number for me , i am sure if you dont buy the tank you ordered some one else will. Also I will probably never ever fill the tank i bought but better to be sae than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

With the fact that u put a deposit down last spring, and still haven't got the tank, I'd say ur in a fairly strong position. I'd ring and tell them u want to cancel ur order as ur fed up of waiting and want ur deposit back, and u won't change ur mind. Then change ur mind on the condition they'll bring a smaller tank. U should have it nxt wk!

I forgot to mention that it's a second hand tank 4.5k litres and they have a yard full of them, it's the size that most farmers are getting rid of to get bigger tanks. Around 3k litres would do me now or I could get a new compressor for my old tank for a few years.

sending off grant form, there is a tick on the checklist looking for certificate of installation of mechanical/electrical equipment..... the milk tank guys did all the work so do i just ignore this or do i need to get something from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

whelan2 wrote: »
    sending off grant form, there is a tick on the checklist looking for certificate of installation of mechanical/electrical equipment..... the milk tank guys did all the work so do i just ignore this or do i need to get something from them?

Would receipt suffice?

Would receipt suffice?
    dont know, might ring them in the morning before i post it, they will be getting the receipt anyway

I called today to see about the tank today he told me cool out that they sold the tank that I paid the deposit on.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ring up the lads who installed it, you will need some sorta letter off them saying the tank was installed and name/signature of the fitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I called today to see about the tank today he told me cool out that they sold the tank that I paid the deposit on.
    Good stuff, saves on hassle. Did you start negotiations on a smaller tank instead?!

just do it wrote: »
    Good stuff, saves on hassle. Did you start negotiations on a smaller tank instead?!
    Yeah he showed me a few smaller tanks but they look old and worn and are almost as dear as the one I paid the deposit on. I will more than likely go elsewhere after I get my deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Yeah he showed me a few smaller tanks but they look old and worn and are almost as dear as the one I paid the deposit on. I will more than likely go elsewhere after I get my deposit back.

You should have an endless choice of 760 tanks. I just traded in one in perfect working order and only got scrap value for it as there's no other market for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

I know u don't mind, but what if u still wanted it? What deposit secures?

Anyone have a handy guide/ table regarding tank size required?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

Anyone have a handy guide/ table regarding tank size required?

Peak yield per cow x number of cows x number of milkings between collections = tank size

Coonagh wrote: »
    Peak yield per cow x number of cows x number of milkings between collections = tank size

So what does a 5k litre cow peak at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Using 26/27 here. The hols are pushing that up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Average lactation yield for Ireland is 220 times peak daily yield, or used to be. Average lactation length is only 270 days so with quotas to go and an expectation that lactation's will come closer to 300 days that 220 figure could increase.

• Advertisement

Sounds about right. I also heard 200.

Advertisement