Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk tanks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I know u don't mind, but what if u still wanted it? What deposit secures?
    I paid €500 deposit. Yeah if I was going with that tank I would have been left high and dry as they have no other tank like it and when you pay a deposit the tank should not have been sold or he should at least have contacted me about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

did any one else have a problem when they submitted their grant application with the packo version of the certificate of electrical installation, dept is saying the form does not conform with their form:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

just do it wrote: »
    Anyone have a handy guide/ table regarding tank size required?

If you multiplied your expected number to be milking by 60 litres youd be dead safe for two day collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Need to buy a new tank here got grant approval so just a matter of finding the right tank now .. will need about 8.5k litre tank .. know a few lads who got liscarroll tanks fitted and seem happy but also there's a lot around with dairymaster tanks .... open to any suggestions and advice also if anyone got prices for bulk tanks recently if they could put them up that'd be a great help thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Mf310 wrote: »
    Need to buy a new tank here got grant approval so just a matter of finding the right tank now .. will need about 8.5k litre tank .. know a few lads who got liscarroll tanks fitted and seem happy but also there's a lot around with dairymaster tanks .... open to any suggestions and advice also if anyone got prices for bulk tanks recently if they could put them up that'd be a great help thanks

We fitted a new GEA tank last year. I can't believe how efficient it is at cooling and how much less electricity it uses. A little more expensive but in my view worth it.

Downside is wash time is 40 minutes and it has a digital reader with volume. The danger is making decisions based on this reader ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

We fitted a new GEA tank last year. I can't believe how efficient it is at cooling and how much less electricity it uses. A little more expensive but in my view worth it.

Downside is wash time is 40 minutes and it has a digital reader with volume. The danger is making decisions based on this reader

Have a dairycool I bought maybe 5 yrs ago, efficient also but with no volume (I wish I had got). Service is a bit slow tho as office is 1 hr away plus I think their installing gea milking parlours now they seem very busy, think 11000 litre tank not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Have a dairycool I bought maybe 5 yrs ago, efficient also but with no volume (I wish I had got). Service is a bit slow tho as office is 1 hr away plus I think their installing gea milking parlours now they seem very busy, think 11000 litre tank not sure

Charleville refrigeration tank Kev ???i also have a darikool and service contract ,service no issue .there mad busy installing Gea parlours ,robots and tanks ,booked solid and taking no orders till next April

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

mahoney_j wrote:
    Charleville refrigeration tank Kev ???i also have a darikool and service contract ,service no issue .there mad busy installing Gea parlours ,robots and tanks ,booked solid and taking no orders till next April

Just bought a tank from them myself they are as busy as hell but they know their stuff and always ready to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

April just gone, and as good as 3yrs to the day she's on the move again. This time to new digs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dairymaster here going grand. Only in a couple of years. Have heard of a couple of darikool giving trouble but issues were solved so service seems to be good

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Dairymaster here going grand. Only in a couple of years. Have heard of a couple of darikool giving trouble but issues were solved so service seems to be good

I have a packo. Have had a good few problems but have a bulk tank maintenance scheme in place so its all looked after. Think I was just unfortunate with the tank I got

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have heard of afew Friday afternoon darakool tanks alright, however another positive vote for them here. I'll admit I bought on price only, KG it would be interesting if the tank manufacturers had some sort of energy rating on them, say number of units to cool your 5kl of milk from 15deg to 4 degrees, wouldn't take much to do a test as such.

Other thing I'll say, I was looking for an 8.5kl tank also, but it was a no brainer to go with an 11kl tank (which is the biggest tank a single 5hp compressor will run), was only about a grand more than the 8.5kl tank, the only difference is another few feet of stainless.

Neighbour was telling me yesterday he had to get into his dairymaster tank. Water wasn't hot enough for the wash and the whole inside of the tank was manky. Wouldn't like to be climbing in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

whelan2 wrote: »
    Neighbour was telling me yesterday he had to get into his dairymaster tank. Water wasn't hot enough for the wash and the whole inside of the tank was manky. Wouldn't like to be climbing in

I wouldn't get into my tank if I had to. Ceiling is barely and inch over the agitator.
    Be s tight squeeze

Would get in fine getting out may be an issue.

I wouldn't get into my tank if I had to. Ceiling is barely and inch over the agitator.
    Be s tight squeeze

Ours is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Serap here.
    Wash takes <20mins but needs water over 60 degrees.
    Really efficient cooling. Milk down to 3degrees by the time parlor finished washing, even when in 40+ heat.
    Fitted in '08 and never once broke down...I've probably jinxed it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Would get in fine getting out may be an issue.
    Sure wouldn't you float to the top when the tank is nearly full and no bother getting out then:)

Had that problem here when one clock on water heater was gone, hot water just wasn't heating up enough, some cheap crap detergent didn't help either. No issues since I sorted it, nowadays I make sure that I don't ever hotwash the milking machine the day the milk is collected, to make sure that I'm not gonna to be robbing it on the bulk tank.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Had that problem here when one clock on water heater was gone, hot water just wasn't heating up enough, some cheap crap detergent didn't help either. No issues since I sorted it, nowadays I make sure that I don't ever hotwash the milking machine the day the milk is collected, to make sure that I'm not gonna to be robbing it on the bulk tank.
    Milk collected everyday here still. Its collected around 4am. Water heater on from midnight. Then wter is hot again for milking machine wash around 8 am.

• Advertisement

Milk collected everyday here still. Its collected around 4am. Water heater on from midnight. Then wter is hot again for milking machine wash around 8 am.

There is a market out there for a basic bulk tank smart temperature monitor, something that can be retrofitted to any bulk tank (just install another temperature probe in beside the existing bulk tank temperature probe), some sort of basic temperature logger, that will send you a text message if you go outside certain temperature parameters (most important one is that the milk was not cooled due to tank not turned on or a fault in the tank), but it could also monitor for the maximum temperature that is reached during the wash cycle, alongside things like telling you how efficient your cooling is, it could detect very quickly if you say didn't turn on the plate cooler, other things like say dust building up in the compressor and the tank taking longer to cool. Something that the insurance industry should be strongly behind, considering the number of claims that are made due to lost tanks of milk.

Timmaay wrote: »
    There is a market out there for a basic bulk tank smart temperature monitor, something that can be retrofitted to any bulk tank (just install another temperature probe in beside the existing bulk tank temperature probe), some sort of basic temperature logger, that will send you a text message if you go outside certain temperature parameters (most important one is that the milk was not cooled due to tank not turned on or a fault in the tank), but it could also monitor for the maximum temperature that is reached during the wash cycle, alongside things like telling you how efficient your cooling is, it could detect very quickly if you say didn't turn on the plate cooler, other things like say dust building up in the compressor and the tank taking longer to cool. Something that the insurance industry should be strongly behind, considering the number of claims that are made due to lost tanks of milk.

The tech is already there Tim. There's exactly that on the chicken houses here. You set the temp parameters and once it goes outside those it rings and texts whoever is on call.
    I suppose it gets a little complicated with a tank as the temp changes fairly drastically a couple of times a day.

That's on our packo. It will set off an alarm if wash doesn't reach a certain temp. How often does your tank do a descale wash?

That's on our packo. It will set off an alarm if wash doesn't reach a certain temp. How often does your tank do a descale wash?

You need to manually set it to descale on my tank, I only bother once a month.

The tech is already there Tim. There's exactly that on the chicken houses here. You set the temp parameters and once it goes outside those it rings and texts whoever is on call.
    I suppose it gets a little complicated with a tank as the temp changes fairly drastically a couple of times a day.

Ah yep the tech is there last 20 yrs, I'm talking about a neath little kit specifically for bulk tanks, that the likes of the moocall lads could design and build no bother and sell to the farmer for say a yearly subscription. Only issue with those ones you use for chicken houses are they tend only to have a single upper or lower temperature point, with a bulk tank you more need to monitor the temperature and let an algorithm figure out that the tank is cooling or washing, and then within a set temperature profile and only send you a text if it goes outside of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You turn off your water heater? Always leave it on here 365 days a year even when the cows are dry in case of frost.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You turn off your water heater? Always leave it on here 365 days a year even when the cows are dry in case of frost.
    On a timer, on for 8 hours on night rate electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

On a timer, on for 8 hours on night rate electricity
    I also have night rate but you won't burn much electricity by leaving it on all the time. In fact you are using more electricity as the whole tank has to heat up every night.

Tank here will text if caustic or acid is low, power outage, not cooling or if milk in tank and cooling not switched on, same with water temps etc. Can text the tank see what's in it and temp as well if away

• Advertisement

Tank here will text if caustic or acid is low, power outage, not cooling or if milk in tank and cooling not switched on, same with water temps etc. Can text the tank see what's in it and temp as well if away

Nice. What make?

Advertisement