Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biometric/ finger print scanning in work

Options
  • 07-01-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

What is the situation about a clock in system in the work place that is done by Biometric scanning?
    I don't feel comfortable with a profile of finger prints being held by a private Employer, I was of the thinking that all credit card transactions etc etc were going to go this route, so I don't like the idea that my prints could be stolen/ lost from a work computer....

Is it legal to do this? Compulsory ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

If the fingerprint is held on the device or a database it has data protection requirements to be met.

If the fingerprint is held on a smart card that you present to the device and the fingerprint on the card is matched against your finger on the scanner it's usually ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭4JAKE

As far as I'm aware it's a case of scanning your hand every time.. As it is an attempt to stop people clocking other peoples cards... I have no issue with it from that point of view.... It's the idea of my prints being stored on a computer by them that's a concern.

Is it a commonly used system in Ireland?

It's getting more common.
    If your print is held on a pc data protection conditions should be met.
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Biometrics-in-the-workplace-/244.htm

Am I obliged to do this? I mean can I just say that I dont want my print stored on the system in work or do I have no say in this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭DoomZ

I'm sure I read somewhere that they 'maybe' have to provide another system if a person does not want to use this system... But if its in a work contract, you may have no choice.

• Advertisement

There wouldn't be any specific mention of this type of clocking in system, my contract is old so was in place a long time before this brain wave happened

4JAKE wrote: »
    Am I obliged to do this? I mean can I just say that I dont want my print stored on the system in work or do I have no say in this

You have a reasonable right to privacy at work... Personally I wouldn't allow my prints to be held by my employer, no matter what security was in place.
    My fingerprints are my property.

Yeah I'm not wanting to be awkward about it but it's getting a bit too serious when it comes to prints, especially if point of sales and Social welfare etc etc go the biometric route..

www.iccl.ie

"You must give your consent before your employer can take your fingerprints. Your consent must be real. This means that your employer must not treat you any differently if you do not agree to have your fingerprints taken.
    Your employer should assess whether fingerprinting is necessary, as there may be simpler ways to get the same results.
    Any fingerprint system must obey data protection law. If you have any questions or concerns about the introduction of a fingerprinting system, you can contact the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner or any of the organisations or people listed at the end of this pack"

I've see most concerns regarding the use of biometrics with staff resolved with HR and Unions.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm not wanting to be awkward about it but it's getting a bit too serious when it comes to prints, especially if point of sales and Social welfare etc etc go the biometric route..

Is there anything in your work contract about giving your consent?

markad1 wrote: »
    I've see most concerns regarding the use of biometrics with staff resolved with HR and Unions.

Don't fully expect either to have your best interests at heart, both generally go for a 'deal' ...do your own research.
    Stick by your rights.

I'll also say the majority of systems I've seen use the smart card for storing the print. That way you have the digital print not your employer.
    The card should also be encrypted so your print can't be copied.

There wouldn't be any specific mention of this type of clocking in system, my contract is old so was in place a long time before this brain wave happened

Tell them to take a hike so...

DoomZ wrote: »
    Don't fully expect either to have your best interests at heart, both generally go for a 'deal' ...do your own research.
    Stick by your rights.

I won't argue with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

In biometric IT systems your prints are not stored as such on computer, a few reference points that are unique in the system are saved in a algorithm. These are not images but binary code and not able to be used outside that specific system.

In what way were they resolved? My employers are not the type that would respect or have any thought for this kind of personal data.. If someone was going to get a warning, chances are the rest if factory would know before the person involved...
    I've seen them replace the computer system before and give the old ones away or office staff taking them home...

So it's not very confidence inspiring

Is there anything in your work contract about giving your consent?

My contract would have been based on the system that was there, a swipe card.. And all it would say is to not tamper or clock someone elses. And that I must clock in and out appropriately

Doesn't mean that's its OK, just because they updated a system. Card swipe is not the same as fingerprint scanner, tell them 'you're sticking to the card, thanks'
    Remember that your employer has fecked up already by assuming they have the 'right' to take your print, digital or otherwise, especially if they are not registered to do so.
    Read some of the cases/ article's on the Data Protection Comissioner website

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

krissovo wrote: »
    In biometric IT systems your prints are not stored as such on computer, a few reference points that are unique in the system are saved in a algorithm. These are not images but binary code and not able to be used outside that specific system.

As per the above no image of finger print is ever logged or saved....only a series of numbers .... the algorithm cannot be converted to the image of your finger print.

If that is your concern then you have no valid concern.

Most of what is written here is not valid, misguided and all a bit 'conspiracy theory'.

• Advertisement

The paragraph you quoted, is that on the iccl website?? If so I can't find it lol

As per the above no image of finger print is ever logged or saved....only a series of numbers .... the algorithm cannot be converted to the image of your finger print.

Most of what is written here is not valid, misguided and all a bit 'conspiracy theory'.

My only concern is that my Prints are at risk of being stolen or not appropriately protected and get to the wrong hands... If there is nothing that can happen to them then I have no concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

My only concern is that my Prints are at risk of being stolen or not appropriately protected and get to the wrong hands... If there is nothing that can happen to them then I have no concerns

Nothing can happen them, finger print is not stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

10100 11110 00011 11000 00111

Is that your print?

Depends on the system.
    I've seen the records with an image of the fingerprint saved against the details of the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

You have a reasonable right to privacy at work... Personally I wouldn't allow my prints to be held by my employer, no matter what security was in place.
    My fingerprints are my property.

Would you agree to a photo ID card where the image is used and stored by your employer? If so why?

Anyone who picks up a cup, glass or can of Coke after you've finished with it can "steal" your fingerprints and much easier than breaking into an encrypted database.

Knowing my employer, and the lack of respect and responsibility that would be there towards employee information, it will probably be the cheapest and most unsecure system that will be installed..

But the can of coke won't have my pps number attached to it, or my next of kin, or my bank details

• Advertisement

My contract would have been based on the system that was there, a swipe card.. And all it would say is to not tamper or clock someone elses. And that I must clock in and out appropriately

Your contract may also have a general clause requiring you to adhere to any reasonable requests made by your employer. Has any court deemed a biometric clocking in and out system to be unreasonable?

Advertisement