Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biometric/ finger print scanning in work

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

4JAKE wrote: »
    Bother me???
    It bothers me that I am tarred with the same brush after 20 yrs of never taking 1 cent.. It never doing anything wrong clock in and out wise.
    It bothers me that the company won't deal with it and sack the people... Especially when I know the reasons and it comes down to who they actually are

It bothers me that these people don't get punished, and a finger print system is forced on every innocent person so the bad ones are not able to scam anymore

If only it was that easy to sack people for dishonesty, it isn't so it is easier to introduce new technology like this. Why are you taking this so personally? It has been explained to you that a copy of you fingerprint is not stored, just biometric data which is useless to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭4JAKE

It's my finger print ... How can I not take it personally lol

If there was a legitimate reason for it with no other solution I would look at it differently, because it's down to bad/ lack of managment... I find it a needless intrusion of my privacy

It's my finger print ... How can I not take it personally lol

If there was a legitimate reason for it with no other solution I would look at it differently, because it's down to bad/ lack of managment... I find it a needless intrusion of my privacy

It's not your fingerprint, it's biometric data, reference points on your finger. There is a legitimate reason, they are trying to cut down on dishonest clocking in. It's not bad management, it's dishonest employees with complicit colleagues. It's not an intrusion on your privacy, it's you moaning about new and impressive cost saving technology.

I could understand your point of view if you posted that you are actually a terrorist or on the FBI's most wanted, but it seems that you doth protest too much methinks.

From a site explaining biometric fingerprint clock in systems:

Only specific characteristics, which are unique to every fingerprint, are filtered and saved as an encrypted biometric key or mathematical representation. No image of a fingerprint is ever saved, only a series of numbers (a binary code), which is used for verification. The algorithm cannot be reconverted to an image, so no one can duplicate your fingerprints.

The machine they are installing clearly states in it's website that it scans your finger print

The machine they are installing clearly states in it's website that it scans your finger print

For biometric data, how do you think they get the biometric reference points from your finger?

I can see now why your company are changing to this system, it is very simple to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭curiosity

Bother me???
    It bothers me that I am tarred with the same brush after 20 yrs of never taking 1 cent.. It never doing anything wrong clock in and out wise.
    It bothers me that the company won't deal with it and sack the people... Especially when I know the reasons and it comes down to who they actually are

It bothers me that these people don't get punished, and a finger print system is forced on every innocent person so the bad ones are not able to scam anymore

Having worked in an office that had electronic card clocking, I can easily imagine how difficult/costly it would be to catch/punish those who abuse the system. Short of having a camera trained on the clocking terminal, or a staff member ensuring no-one used two cards, I don't know how you'd prove anyone was doing it. I'd have no problem with biometric scanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I know a company (no names being mentioned) who introduced biometric hand clocking in and out a good few years ago.
    The main reason was because of the steady increase in overtime claims against actual persons at their posts, due to the amount of people bunking off early and their mates clocking them out (and sometimes in and out!).
    So the management had enough of it and introduced the system. Some people objected to it (I wonder why :rolleyes: ) and ended up leaving and system has been used successfully since.
    The rules were simple, you arrive for work, hand on pad you're clocked in, hand on pad again to clock out. No hands on pad = no pay.
    In the first month the overtime bill almost vanished compared to previous months and has stayed that way.
    Its not a flawless system, but it took a huge amount of financial stress off the company, which is how it was able to stay in business through the recent tough times.

I am well aware of the benefits of it... Where I work there is 2 offenders... But just because it doesn't suit the managment to discipline them they have chosen to go this preventative method... Rather than deal with 2 individuals this is there method

I am well aware of the benefits of it... Where I work there is 2 offenders... But just because it doesn't suit the managment to discipline them they have chosen to go this preventative method... Rather than deal with 2 individuals this is there method

This way is easier, better, cheaper and will benefit the company going forward.

Unless you are paid weekly in cash, you voluntarily handed over your name, address, PPS, and bank account details just so you could be paid your wage. That info is far more desirable and profitable to nefarious data collectors.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

But then if they get fired and two more take their place, maybe THEY might decide to abuse the clocking system, or maybe some other long-standing honest staff see their colleagues get away with it so decide they'll try to scam the clock card a bit.

This way it eliminates it for good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Simply, this decision is above your pay grade.

That you can take offence for the reasons you've stated is :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Bother me???

You arent being targeted, if anything they are probably aware of who is doing what, this may eliminate some of that, if it helps then it seems its in your interest if it bothers you that they wont deal with any existing problems, this would probably help them.

There are ways around everything, if you are aware of the benefits of it, how can you be opposed to it if it doesnt affect you?
    No print is taken and what is scanned for cannot be converted into a print, its handier and quicker than a PIN and cant go missing like a badge.

Advertisement