Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mad to think that these days, all it takes is a memory card.

I remember a mate trying to convince me to send my PS2 off to someone in Spain to have a mod chip installed. Not a chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Then the xbox came along with the xecuter chips with the pin header install and it was so easy, I use to mod them on my lunch break in work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, Atavan, will you be buying yet another New 3DS? And a limited edition one as well!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone else watching the Awesome Games Done Quick stream this week? It's so good watching these people tear apart your favourite games.

It's also pretty much the anti-gamergate. Videogame players getting together, playing games and well on the way to raising 1 million dollars for cancer research.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Any time I look at a GGers timeline on twitter I can never find one mention of them talking about games.

Intel are working with Feminist Frequency now. The GG tears are so, so sweet today!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've tended to find the people who claim they are most passionate about games - or pledge allegiance to the 'gamer' label - are often the ones who understand games the least, and wouldn't know a good one if it came up and politely introduced itself.

Or the type of people who judge a game completely on it's frame rate and on whether or not it has a field of view slider.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think a lot of people jump behind obsession over technology because it's an 'objective' response - after all, they're so farcically desperate for objectivity. It's a subsequent inability to articulate a subjective response to the game itself or respect that other peoples' responses will vary is when they start stumbling, and get angry because of it.

I'm pretty hyped for this:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

DinoRex wrote: »
    Or the type of people who judge a game completely on it's frame rate and on whether or not it has a field of view slider.
    But...gameplay is heavily reliant on framerate. Afterall, having a game at 60fps, always feels better than a game at 30. Believe me, plenty of people would cry foul if a fighter was at that refresh rate for that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I wouldn't completely judge a game based on its framerate, that would be somewhat silly. But I do realise the importance of a smooth framerate, & have a personal preference for having at least 60fps. I find the fact that we're still looking at games running at <60fps in 2015 as pretty dire. Give me a high & smooth framerate over graphical fidelity any day of the week.

Blight Town in Dark Souls is the only time I've ever found frame rate affected my enjoyment of gameplay. But I wouldn't mark the game down one iota over it as in the grand scheme of things it's wasn't terribly important.

(Oh and Deadly Premonition on the PS3 was pretty much unplayably jerky I guess.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's not that I'd mark games down for having poor framrates, again that'd be unfair. It's like critisising a painting based purely on the canvas it was put on. What I do find myself remarking though, is that games could be be even better (for me personally) if they ran silky smooth. When I see 30fps or lower, in favour of ultra high res textures etc, I just think wasted opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Not arcade related, or even the slightest bit retro, but it's only the 2nd one I've seen.

CEX on Henry Street are selling Google glasses for €1000.

Saw a guy wearing them when I was in Terminal 2 a few months ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problems for console developers is that for the layman it's graphics not gameplay that sell games. Look at what happened to Insomniac with Resistance 2. They produced a decent game with a smooth 60 fps refresh but yet it was the absolutely dire Killzone 2 that got the plaudits, a game that ran at 30 FPS and had a very early deferred rendering engine that added a huge amount of lag to the controls.

There's just too big a trade off in favour of graphical fidelity for developers from going from 30-60 fps. Only really fighting and japanese action games go for 60 FPS and even at that we saw Ninja Theory shoot for 30 FPS with DMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Myrddin wrote: »
    I wouldn't completely judge a game based on its framerate, that would be somewhat silly. But I do realise the importance of a smooth framerate, & have a personal preference for having at least 60fps. I find the fact that we're still looking at games running at <60fps in 2015 as pretty dire. Give me a high & smooth framerate over graphical fidelity any day of the week.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The problems for console developers is that for the layman it's graphics not gameplay that sell games. Look at what happened to Insomniac with Resistance 2. They produced a decent game with a smooth 60 fps refresh but yet it was the absolutely dire Killzone 2 that got the plaudits, a game that ran at 30 FPS and had a very early deferred rendering engine that added a huge amount of lag to the controls.

There's just too big a trade off in favour of graphical fidelity for developers from going from 30-60 fps. Only really fighting and japanese action games go for 60 FPS and even at that we saw Ninja Theory shoot for 30 FPS with DMC.
    I've said this before and I'll say it again. Devs need to implement a more smoke and mirrors approach, so they could get a high fidelity game out with a smoother framerate. The only western dev I see targeting something like this would be id Software, as I'm told that Doom 4 (running on idTech 6) would be 60fps on consoles. It just makes me wish that someone should have leaked that gameplay demo of the game from earlier in the year.

Also, I don't recall any of the Resistance games being above 30fps. Speaking of which, I couldn't help but groan when Insomniac said that after the release of A Crack In Time, they wouldn't be producing any more games that ran at 60fps, because reviewers never seemed to bring that bit up. I felt it was a pointless endeavour anyway, as the next Ratchet and Clank game I played, Q-Force, didn't actually look that much better at all. In fact, I thought it looked worse in some places. All capped off with the game not even being able to hold even a smooth 30fps at times, so yeah...why bother with the whole thing in the end?

Think you are right about resistance but thought I remember them having a moan about Killzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Jayus you'd swear there were doing it deliberately :)

Full HD at 60 FPS is nearly 200 million pixels per second to manage, even 720p is 90 million !!

I'm 52 hours into Dragonage Inquisition. Really enjoying it.

It's not without it's faults though... the jumping is awful in it, but they insist in putting in lots of jumping puzzles and the companion AI is pretty bad too, they'll regularly run half way across the continent to bunch a random bear in the face for some reason.

But it's such a great looking and well designed world that it's a lot of fun to explore and go on little quests.

I only played the first one a little bit but wasn't crazy about it, but I seem to have been able to pick up the story. It's not like the Mass Effect games where they're direct sequels to each other so that helps.

Jayus you'd swear there were doing it deliberately :)

Full HD at 60 FPS is nearly 200 million pixels per second to manage, even 720p is 90 million !!

My Master Race machine does Titanfall 60 FPS across a 2x1080p display :)
    DinoRex wrote: »
    I only played the first one a little bit but wasn't crazy about it, but I seem to have been able to pick up the story. It's not like the Mass Effect games where they're direct sequels to each other so that helps.

My friend was moaning that they didn't continue the story from the first game but just expanded on one of the side quests for the sequels so you don't really need to have played the first to pick it up apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My Master Race machine does Titanfall 60 FPS across a 2x1080p display :)

Don't you ban people in the Games Forum for using this term?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I'd ban him for mentioning Titanfall...

Titanfall is fantastic.

PC Master Race is the worst combination of words in Internet history. A joke gets a bit tired the millionth time one hears it.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

It's the only way to really refer to my beast of a machine. Very happy with it :)
    Titanfall is fantastic.

It's a great game to just jump on for a few rounds and have some fun. Even when you are losing the dash to the evac point is worth sticking around for. Although I'm rubbish I can still have a lot of fun with it unlike other shooters where I'm outclassed automatically and don't have the time or patience to even learn.

CDi Master Race never really caught on though

Back in my day we used to refer to that as a Ninja PC.

Back in my day my 'Ninja PC' was a 400mhz Pentium.

I had a ninja PC back in 95
    200mhz Pentium with 16mb of ram.
    When I say Ninja it was more
    Ninjas_ea4d89_410683.jpg

than

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVJrFZ0ta0PQp9vjLDGq1XgxnuJzrLT7b0rC3EQoypsRkQWjoi

Speaking of which the Lighthouse Cinema are showing Ninja 3: The Domination next week.

My Ninja PC was a Pentium 100 with 16MB RAM and a 1GB Hard Disk and a CD Rom drive that kept breaking.

Then I got a Power VR card and for a while it was a ninja PC again (and by a while I mean maybe 3 months).

• Advertisement

That better be a quad speed CD-ROM drive!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement