Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Habits That Annoy You

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

heroics wrote: »
    I always turn both down. maybe its the OCD but all dials have to be the same when everything is off. easier to see that everything is off at a glance. Also not everything goes into the oven at the same temp. So you will be adjusting the temp anyway

As for the diswasher sharp knives like paring knives etc go in handle up. Longer knives lie flat on the top shelf regular forks does not bother me but the sharper steak forks we have go in same as the steak/sharp knives

I rarely change cooking temp and my husband rarely uses the oven. That means I flick the oven on to preheat and the come back 15 minutes later to realise it's on 0 degrees and the oven is cold. Then I realise he's Cooked something! I've put a sticker over it now telling him not to turn it off so hopefully that works

The kitchen is my domain (except as previously mentioned I am not allowed to load the dishwasher) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    The smokers, who instead of going outside, open your back door, and stand there to smoke.

I've a friend who will go outside to smoke and close the door behind him - but he lights up seconds before before walking out and closing the door, so he leaves us with a delicious whiff of second hand cigarette smoke every time. He always apologises when it's pointed out to him but never stops doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

People who put water into soap, shower gel or shampoo bottles to get the last bit out, and then don't put the bottle straight into the bin - .

My housemate currently has FOUR empty shower gel bottles around ours..he will not get rid of them!

He also does the walk around dripping wet and leave puddles everywhere thing.

Needs a lesson in bathroom etiquette!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And the cloudy water is ice cold when you pour it out. You're expecting cream consistency but it's liquid and splashes all over your nice warm body :(

Tell me more....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Putting everything at the front of the press instead of tidying them on the entire available shelf space
    Washing greasy pans in a sink of water then proceeding to wash drinking glasses etc in same water
    Crumbs
    Not putting cutlery etc in correct section of cutlery drawer
    Grease and oil spatters left on cooker
    Not filling kettle via the lid
    Clean washing left sitting damp in basket for days- only to end up smelling damp after it gets dried eventually
    Ancient food left in fridge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

mikom wrote: »
    Tell me more....

Then you have to pee on your legs to warm up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    My housemate currently has FOUR empty shower gel bottles around ours..he will not get rid of them!

He also does the walk around dripping wet and leave puddles everywhere thing.

Needs a lesson in bathroom etiquette!

And this is why I will never even consider a living arrangement in which I have to share a bathroom with someone I'm not related to or sleeping with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Dial Hard wrote: »
    And this is why I will never even consider a living arrangement in which I have to share a bathroom with someone I'm not related to or sleeping with.

It is one of the delights of being older. You dont need to put up with house shares with fellow students or buddies...or worse - strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

- Cutlery, plates and mugs left everywhere, be in in the TV room, Living room, etc. OR left by the sink and not placed into the EMPTY dishwasher right beside!
    - Rubbish not put into the bin
    - Empty food packaging left in the cabinets and fridge
    - Pen taken away from my computer desk [Absolutely drives me up the wall, a decade on and people STILL doing this!!]
    - No one ever empties the bin, always left to me... if bins are full, people just stack crap around it... often happens when I'm not at the house over the weekends...
    - Lights left on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Leaving the f*#king lights on! :mad: :mad: :mad:

It's not that hard. There's a switch. Normally on the wall. Not that far from you as you walk out the door. Flick it... magic...the lights turn off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We have to leave chair up against the fridge so the cat doesn't open it with her sneaky lil paws.

White sticking plaster on the door will fool her...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I can't BELIEVE I forgot that one - it ALWAYS goes over, facing out, and I will actually change it in people's houses if they've hung it wrong!

Also, the cutlery should never be mixed in the dishwasher - knives in one section of the basket, forks in another, and so on, so that when you're emptying it you can just grab & drop.

Consider yourself lucky to have a holder..none here .. cannot believe you do that in others houses and I bet they change it back as soon as you go.. I would and would remove the roll next time you came

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I live with my buddy in 3 bedroom house. Thankfully he only stays in house for 2-3 days per week. Don't understand me wrong, he is awesome fella, but I would stab him in a neck if I would need to deal with him more often! :pac:

When he is in the house, all the fecking lights are on. Everywhere where there could be! Really Pisses me off as I got a habit of turning all the lights off that I don't use. I don't care if house looks like abandoned shack at night!
    He never washes his dishes when done cooking. I am lucky if he do it without me actually remind it to him!
    Leaving doors open around the house... I flipping hate that!!! It's freezing house as it is and closing doors helps to keep it warmer at least to some level. Plus it looks super messy with all doors around the house wide open.

In fairness, he is lovely guy and good friend. Our schedules are very different so we pretty much don't see each other. A lot of those problems might sound trivial, but it might be a sign of my ocd or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

bluewolf wrote: »
    Cutlery tines up. Sharp or big knives flat in upper drawer
    That's the way!

Anyone who puts the toilet roll on holder so that it unwinds toward the wall instead of away from it, over the top. Nooo
    I can't BELIEVE I forgot that one - it ALWAYS goes over, facing out, and I will actually change it in people's houses if they've hung it wrong!

Also, the cutlery should never be mixed in the dishwasher - knives in one section of the basket, forks in another, and so on, so that when you're emptying it you can just grab & drop.
    Mind boggling why some people do that.

Ever see a kid spin that toilet roll? guess not!!

I know people that put it on the other way so when the kids spin it the whole roll is not in a heap on the floor!

There's often logic to why people do things differently. ie I mix the cutlery so that spoons don't slip together and then not clean inbetween and upside down so that your hand is not grabbing the bit that goes into your mouth/cuts your food.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Crumbs :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

People using a knife still covered in ketchup, mayo, brown sauce, jam and other condiments to take a gouge out of the dairy butter spread tub. Often I will look forward to a nice sandwich, only to be confronted by a rainbow coloured assortment in the Dairygold.

I have often made my postion known on this in the household, but most often the reaction is a) a grunt b) laughter and usually c) a blank stare and silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

When my OH finishes a roll of toilet roll she leaves the wee cardboard tube ON TOP OF THE BATHROOM BIN!! Like sitting on the lid!?

Aghh. I dont understand the mentality of her sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

When my OH finishes a roll of toilet roll she leaves the wee cardboard tube ON TOP OF THE BATHROOM BIN!! Like sitting on the lid!?

My sister does this. Apparently it's to remind her to put it in the recycling.

Doesn't seem to work, cause I always end up doing it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Tea bags in the sink is disgusting but what about people who take the tea bag out of the cup and walk with it on the spoon to the bin,leaving a trail of tea drippings across the kitchen floor. Just walk to the bin with the cup and take the bag out over the bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭jcon1913

It's a safety thing. Reach into cutlery basket with a very sharp piece point upwards and you can get cut. A woman in The UK fell onto her open washer door a few years ago and impaled herself on an upturned knife

Lesson - don't empty the dishwasher when under the influence :pac::pac::pac:

Just read the other posts about the woman - not so funny, but as other posters have pointed out, don't put sharp knives pointing upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Washing greasy pans in a sink of water then proceeding to wash drinking glasses etc in same water

Ack, this makes me crazy. When you are washing dishes by hand there is a very specific order:

Cutlery
    Cups
    Plates/bowls
    Serving dishes/utensils
    Cooking Dishes/utensils

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

My dishwasher has an odd cutlery basket that will only let me put in cutlery with the pointy side up btw. :( I don't put in sharp knives anyway though.

The only cleaning my oh does is doing the hoovering. If there are crumbs or spillages he points them out to me and I'll have to go and wipe them up.

If stuff comes in multipacks (like cans of coke, yoghurts etc) he will put the whole thing into the fridge/press and cut a hole into the packaging and take out individual items until it's all gone, and only then get rid of the packaging. Really irritating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

In no particular order...

People who don't scrape uneaten porridge from the bowl or pot. Just leaving the spoon sticking up out of it too. Fcuk sake.

Hanging up wet clothes. Especially when one of the sleeves or trouser legs are inside out, then I have to fix it before I hang it :(

Someone that boils the kettle 6 times in a row before making a cup of tea.

Fcukers that put a wet spoon into the sugar bowl and leave it there.

Opening the microwave to find that someone's food had previously exploded all over the place and been left there to go hard.

Cnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Other housemate will spend over half an hour putting her washing on the clothes horse, and leave it there for well over a week..yes we have another one but cmon!

She actually complained the other day that she got rained on and had to change into her pyjamas because she had no dry clothes upstairs..you know why love? because they have all been down here for a week and a half!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Driving along at the edge of the hard shoulder over all the cats eyes.

I used to do this just to annoy a particular person :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

dieselbug wrote: »
    Driving along at the edge of the hard shoulder over all the cats eyes.

I used to do this just to annoy a particular person :P

You have a road in your house?

Rich bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No, he's just been living on the streets.

Poor bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'd say my husband has a much longer list than me because I'm a head wreak despite my best efforts.

But he doesn't close the drawers and presses in our kitchen properly. They're soft close and he never pushes them all the way so they are slightly ajar. Drives me mental for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

When you have cereal or porridge, will you please dunk the dish in water when you are finished it at least!

Otherwise, five minutes later it's more like Cement Roadstone.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

My missus will put the dryer on for 120mins to dry five knickers that would hardly weigh 5 grams, fcuking annoys me no end

Advertisement