Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Habits That Annoy You

Options
  • 05-01-2015 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

Ok folks tonight I'm having a sleepless night because I have a blinder of a headache and I just got up to get some Nurofen.

I am 26 years old and have the great misfortune of still having to live at home with my parents..

So I went to the kitchen sink to get water to take with the Nurofen and I see a tea bag that my dad left in the drain of the sink like he always does, even if the bin is 3 feet to his right! Absolutely bothers me, like why the sink?, just put it in the bin. Just after mumbling "Ssssake!" and throwing the soggy tea bag into the bin in my sleep deprived state before rambling back up to bed I spot another Dad Error.

He leaves the only carton of milk that we have outside of the fridge where it will go off...or at least go disgustingly warm, who likes room temperature milk on their cereal in the morning? I certainly don't.

He has loads of other things that annoy me but these two are constant. God I need to move out!

So what household habits do your housemates/partners/parents do that get on your wick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

I have visions of Kevin from Kevin and Perry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Don't like to hear a shyt3 being taken.

Put down a landing pad ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Don't like people who live in my house to criticise things I do...in MY house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

We have to leave chair up against the fridge so the cat doesn't open it with her sneaky lil paws.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Don't like people who live in my house to criticise things I do...in MY house.

Are Daft Punk playing in your house?

(it's the way I read your post!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

DO YOUR WASHING UP DAMMIT!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Husband and myself have an argument that's been runnig for years now - he'll put the cutlery into the dishwasher upside down.
    His argument is that otherwise, he'll prick his fingers on the tines of the forks when he empties it.
    My gripe with that is that the cutlery doesn't get as clean as it would if it was upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Leaving a used cup with cold tea or coffee still in it sitting in the sink...your already at the sink pour and rinse god damn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Shenshen wrote: »
    Husband and myself have an argument that's been runnig for years now - he'll put the cutlery into the dishwasher upside down.
    His argument is that otherwise, he'll prick his fingers on the tines of the forks when he empties it.
    My gripe with that is that the cutlery doesn't get as clean as it would if it was upright.

I would have to agree with yourself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

It's a safety thing. Reach into cutlery basket with a very sharp piece point upwards and you can get cut. A woman in The UK fell onto her open washer door a few years ago and impaled herself on an upturned knife

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It's a safety thing. Reach into cutlery basket with a very sharp piece point upwards and you can get cut. A woman in The UK fell onto her open washer door a few years ago and impaled herself on an upturned knife

Wow, that takes some skill. How long was that knife?

We never put the sharp knives in the dishwasher, or rather I never do. I know how much I paid for them and that the dishwasher is going to destroy them much faster than washing them by hand.
    The husband sometimes puts them in if I'm not quick enough (another gripe!), but he lays them flat down on the top drawer for some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Several times.
    Her poor husband found her.
    They used to argue about the same thing.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That metal strainer device in the plughole. I believe it's there to stop food waste from clogging the sink. For some reason, people lift it up, and leave it out of it's hole, so it doesn't stop anything. Why, people? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Everyone know you don't put sharp knives - especially chopping knives - into the cutlery basket. You either wash them by hand or lay them flat in the upper drawer.

Even pointing downwards you have the potential to cut yourself on a sharp knife taking it out of the basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Teabag beside the sink = I do something similar (but I have a little dish for them) because I tend to re-use teabags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I never fail to be shocked by the filth and grime some people choose to live in. Carpets that rarely see a hoover, shelves that never get a dust down and polish, bathtub that is covered in dirt and limescale. I'm not going to take out a white glove and start running my finger along surfaces looking for dust and dirt like Francis Brennan, but I'm not just going to ignore it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

My OH can't close a door properly. So annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

What sort of animal puts an empty bottle or carton back in the fridge? Why would you do such a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

because I tend to re-use teabags.

That is just wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

My husband leaves towels in really annoying places after he's had a shower - e.g he hangs them over the door instead of on the hook on the back of the door so you can't close the door without removing the towel. Or he hangs it on the banisters. How much harder is it to hang them in their proper place or put them in the airing cupboard?

I also hate tea bags left in the sink and shoes just randomly left all over the house for me to trip over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Your husband is right :p

We have the same argument - how sad are we? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Woshy wrote: »
    My husband leaves towels in really annoying places after he's had a shower - e.g he hangs them over the door instead of on the hook on the back of the door so you can't close the door without removing the towel. Or he hangs it on the banisters. How much harder is it to hang them in their proper place or put them in the airing cupboard?

I also hate tea bags left in the sink and shoes just randomly left all over the house for me to trip over.

I do the same thing as your husband as any time I go to a radiator or a horse or hot press they're already full of her stuff. Move them, I'm wrong.
    Hang my stuff where they shouldn't be the magic fairy will sort them out. :-/

I do the same thing as your husband as any time I go to a radiator or a horse or hot press they're already full of her stuff. Move them, I'm wrong.
    Hang my stuff where they shouldn't be the magic fairy will sort them out. :-/

Yes, he thinks there is a magic fairy too! Since, I stopped working to be a stay at home mum he's got very used to having me pick up after him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

A housemate who gets up around the time I do and takes 30 minutes in the bathroom showering and God knows what else. Wrecks my head. And it isn't always at the same time so it is hard to work around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Putting large saucepans that were only used for boiling potatoes or vegetables in the dishwasher. Just rinse the bloody pot instead of blocking half the dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

3 things my wife does that annoy me:

just ram stuff into drawers, so after closing the drawer, it can't opened again because what was just put in is now blocking it.

just put stuff carelessly into presses, so that when it's opened next time, it falls straight out again.

washes dishes too quickly with a 'I've washed it, therefore it must be clean' mentality, rather than actually checking if it is clean.

3 things I do that annoy my wife:

not check my pockets before putting clothes into laundry....pieces of paper everywhere (and a box of staples one time).

empty a box/packet of something (like a box of eggs) and put the box/packet back in the same place it was, rather than in the bin.

leave my razors in the shower - she always takes them out when she's in there, so they're not there when I need them, resulting in a bonus 4th thing I do that annoys her:

walk around outside the shower and wet the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

My OH can't close a door properly. So annoying.

The more annoying one, especially this time of year with the cold weather and heating on, is someone flinging open a closed door to ask "have you seen/do you have [whatever]?", and then leaving the door as wide open as possible. Then when you get up to close it, they come back to let you know they found it (for whatever reason) and leave the f***ing door wide open again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

how sharp are the tines of the forks you use??

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

My wife, although a domestic goddess in almost every way, cannot see the logic of how to maximise dishwasher loading space. Bowls in the plate rack taking up 3 spaces at a time, plates up top, etc. She just doesn't care. I regularly rearrange it to create space. It's just really obvious to me how it works.

• Advertisement

My wife, although a domestic goddess in almost every way, cannot see the logic of how to maximise dishwasher loading space. Bowls in the plate rack taking up 3 spaces at a time, plates up top, etc. She just doesn't care. I regularly rearrange it to create space. It's just really obvious to me how it works.

I'm the same - my husband revoked my dishwasher stacking privileges because "I don't do it right"!

Now I have to leave dishes stacked neatly next to the dishwasher for him to load later :)

Advertisement