Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Habits That Annoy You

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Woshy wrote: »
    I'm the same - my husband revoked my dishwasher stacking privileges because "I don't do it right"!

Now I have to leave dishes stacked neatly next to the dishwasher for him to load later :)

Tsk if I did that the stack would get higher and higher cause I seemingly am the only one to stack empty and put away the dishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Shenshen wrote: »
    Husband and myself have an argument that's been runnig for years now - he'll put the cutlery into the dishwasher upside down.
    His argument is that otherwise, he'll prick his fingers on the tines of the forks when he empties it.
    My gripe with that is that the cutlery doesn't get as clean as it would if it was upright.

Shenshen I agree with your husband. I know a girl and the dishwasher door was down and she tripped over it and stabbed herself in the leg because a knife was pointing up. It wasn't a drastic stab, just a scratch really but still!

My husband insists on opening food items and leaving the packaging on the counter beside the bin.

When I used to live at home with my parents, my dad had no problem to empty the dishwasher. But when it came to filling it, he would never put a plate in the dishwasher.

I asked him why doesn't he just put it in the dishwasher rather than leave it on the counter above the dishwasher and he said its because he doesn't know how to fill a dishwasher.

How can you know how to empty a dishwasher but not know how to fill it?? How can you not know how to fill a dishwasher full stop??

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

hes' right on that one. Its a health and safety matter a woman in the uk fell onto a Sharpe knife and died .She fell back the door was down and feel back onto a knife .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My husband leaves towels in really annoying places after he's had a shower - e.g he hangs them over the door instead of on the hook on the back of the door so you can't close the door without removing the towel. Or he hangs it on the banisters. How much harder is it to hang them in their proper place or put them in the airing cupboard?
    Well you see, as a hairy man, drying myself after a shower is like drying a dog.
    The towel thusly, is absolutely soaking wet, almost like it had been dunked in the sea.

So, it can't go in the hot press. It can't go on a hook at the back of the door (used to do that, door became discoloured from mildew), and the towel rails we have aren't big enough to hang a bath towel fully open - the towel has to be folded, which means it won't dry.

So I have to hang my towel on the curtain rail (the shower curtain rail) after a shower. I make no apologies for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

We put cutlery in upside down too - for safety reasons. I have fallen on the dishwasher before. Also my little boy likes opening and messing with it - even forks and dinner knives can be sharp enough for a toddler.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

irish gent wrote: »
    hes' right on that one. Its a health and safety matter a womman in the uk fell onto a Sharpe knife and died .She feel back the door was down and feel back onto a knife .

Said it before, saying it again - none of my sharp knives go into the dish washer. It would ruin the handles :)

seamus wrote: »
    Well you see, as a hairy man, drying myself after a shower is like drying a dog.
    The towel thusly, is absolutely soaking wet, almost like it had been dunked in the sea.

So, it can't go in the hot press. It can't go on a hook at the back of the door (used to do that, door became discoloured from mildew), and the towel rails we have aren't big enough to hang a bath towel fully open - the towel has to be folded, which means it won't dry.

So I have to hang my towel on the curtain rail (the shower curtain rail) after a shower. I make no apologies for this.

You would be shot in my house for that! Although it's better than on a door.

My husband is an exceptionally hairy man so maybe that's why he does it too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Ok folks tonight I'm having a sleepless night because I have a blinder of a headache and I just got up to get some Nurofen.

I am 26 years old and have the great misfortune of still having to live at home with my parents..

So I went to the kitchen sink to get water to take with the Nurofen and I see a tea bag that my dad left in the drain of the sink like he always does, even if the bin is 3 feet to his right! Absolutely bothers me, like why the sink?, just put it in the bin. Just after mumbling "Ssssake!" and throwing the soggy tea bag into the bin in my sleep deprived state before rambling back up to bed I spot another Dad Error.

He leaves the only carton of milk that we have outside of the fridge where it will go off...or at least go disgustingly warm, who likes room temperature milk on their cereal in the morning? I certainly don't.

He has loads of other things that annoy me but these two are constant. God I need to move out!

So what household habits do your housemates/partners/parents do that get on your wick?

As Judge Judy would say, your parents own the air you breath when you live in their house.

Just came across another one. When my husband turns the oven off he turns two dials, the one for turning the oven on and off and the temperature one. He turns the temperature down to zero every time. Drives me mad! Just leave the temp dial alone, it doesn't need to be changed or turned to zero to turn the oven on and off. It's easier for everyone to just leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

seamus wrote: »

Even pointing downwards you have the potential to cut yourself on a sharp knife taking it out of the basket.

I'm sure you have the potential to cut yourself with a sharp knife every time you use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

BEDROOM!!!!

My OH , generally is clean , as in she cleans around the house and that. But she will generally focus on cleaning one thing. For this example we'll take the TV cabinet , she will clean it for two hours so it's spotless but then get distracted by something else and not finish the job , so now we have a clean cabinet but everything that was taken out of it in a mess in the sitting room making it actually worst on the whole than when she started. I constantly have to finish these jobs for her, she'll start something , get distracted and I'll end up having to take over and get it done.

Bedroom is the worst , I've now learned she cannot keep a clean bedroom. This does my head in, I hate clutter to the point it will bother me in work and I won't be able to relax at home. So I'll clean the bedroom often, tidy up everything into it's place, clear the floor , washing etc....and then like clockwork , 2 days later she'll need to find something/be late for work etc and will upturn the room completely , stuff all over the floor , clothes thrown everywhere , wardrope emptied and off she'll go leaving it like that then to gradually get worst and were back to where we started.

But of course according to her , none of the above is true and it's defiantly me who doesn't clean enough!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

My OH puts half tins of stuff in the fridge.....and just leaves them there, forever, and ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I don't know how my mother hasn't smothered my dad with a pillow yet. Teabags in the sink, milk/oj/butter/sugar/marmalade always left on the counter, dishes always left beside the dishwasher instead of put into it.

I live with my sister and she's mostly grand but the things that really grind my gears are:

- washing absolutely everything at 90C. Such a waste of energy

- leaving doors open all over the house when the heat is on

- the very odd time she cooks, she'll wash whatever bits can't go in the dishwasher, then just leave them in the draining rack indefinitely instead of putting them away

Also, I get home from work before her so it's ALWAYS up to me to empty the dishwasher or hang out a laundry load that was put on at night/in the morning. Drives me mad.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

People who put water into soap, shower gel or shampoo bottles to get the last bit out, and then don't put the bottle straight into the bin - leaving it there for the next user to get a handful of water. Makes me irrationally angry, particularly when it is done with my favourite shampoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I put cutlery pointing down in the dishwasher so I can easily grab the handles when putting them away. That way I don't have to maul the part that touches food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

People who put water into soap, shower gel or shampoo bottles to get the last bit out, and then don't put the bottle straight into the bin - leaving it there for the next user to get a handful of water. Makes me irrationally angry, particularly when it is done with my favourite shampoo.

And the cloudy water is ice cold when you pour it out. You're expecting cream consistency but it's liquid and splashes all over your nice warm body :(

My mam did this a lot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭mrolaf

putting dirty dishes in the sink instead of the dishwasher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Just came across another one. When my husband turns the oven off he turns two dials, the one for turning the oven on and off and the temperature one. He turns the temperature down to zero every time. Drives me mad! Just leave the temp dial alone, it doesn't need to be changed or turned to zero to turn the oven on and off. It's easier for everyone to just leave it.

I always turn both down. maybe its the OCD but all dials have to be the same when everything is off. easier to see that everything is off at a glance. Also not everything goes into the oven at the same temp. So you will be adjusting the temp anyway

As for the diswasher sharp knives like paring knives etc go in handle up. Longer knives lie flat on the top shelf regular forks does not bother me but the sharper steak forks we have go in same as the steak/sharp knives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Your aul fella is clearly trying to irritate you into leaving home.

Spite him.

Never leave, ever. Also, consider retaliation. Perhaps some burnt toasts crumbs in the butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Husband and myself have an argument that's been runnig for years now - he'll put the cutlery into the dishwasher upside down.
    His argument is that otherwise, he'll prick his fingers on the tines of the forks when he empties it.
    My gripe with that is that the cutlery doesn't get as clean as it would if it was upright.

A woman was killed in England while unloading the dishwasher. She fell forward onto an upturned knife which went straight into her heart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

A woman was killed in England while unloading the dishwasher. She fell forward onto an upturned knife which went straight into her heart.

Third one now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Third one now....

Epidemic.

Epidemic.

Maybe "unloading the Dishwasher" is a euphenism:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Cutlery tines up. Sharp or big knives flat in upper drawer
    That's the way!

Anyone who puts the toilet roll on holder so that it unwinds toward the wall instead of away from it, over the top. Nooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Third one now....

was a bit sceptical so googled it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/2943930.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Not putting things away after you use them, such as milk and butter.

Putting plates in the dishwasher with chunks of food still on the plate.

Eating food that creates loads of crumbs with no plate.

Talking loudly in the morning. Just because you're up doesn't mean we all have to be up.

Drinking/eating stuff you didn't buy.

Not taking bread out of the freezer if you used the last slice of the current batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

bluewolf wrote: »
    Anyone who puts the toilet roll on holder so that it unwinds toward the wall instead of away from it, over the top. Nooo

I can't BELIEVE I forgot that one - it ALWAYS goes over, facing out, and I will actually change it in people's houses if they've hung it wrong!

Also, the cutlery should never be mixed in the dishwasher - knives in one section of the basket, forks in another, and so on, so that when you're emptying it you can just grab & drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

People walking to the dishwasher and putting their dishes on the counter on top of it. You walked the whole way there, is it that hard to open the door and set it in?!

Also there's only me and the OH in our hours so we only run the dishwasher every 2 days or so, and it drives me mad when he puts the pans or cooking dishes in the dishwasher and then they're sitting there, still dirty the next day when I need them to cook dinner again. And because they've dried dirty they're twice as hard to clean.
    Not to mention the odd time he sits them to soak and leaves them there so I've to go back and finish the job hours later.

Basically leaving any job half done for me to go finish cleaning up drives me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

bluewolf wrote: »

Mind boggling why some people do that.

• Advertisement

The smokers, who instead of going outside, open your back door, and stand there to smoke.

Advertisement