Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's biggest sporting embarrassment?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

People not knowing about our vast Tiddlywinks tradition in this country, now that is a national embarrassment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

nm wrote: »
    Katie Taylor turning out to be a jesus freak was pretty bad

For who, you and the 2 clowns who thanked your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Katie Taylor turning out to be a jesus freak was pretty bad

A surprisingly religious person trump people that cheat?

Typical Irish bull****. People like you dont deserve an opinion worth noting on irish sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

The GAA generates millions for the economy on an annual basis and so pays back any of the funding money it gets from the government in the additional tax revenue GAA matches generate.Think of the amount of money that is spent in Dublin, Thurles, Killarney,Cork etc and time there is a big match that would otherwise not be spent.

Why, what would happen to that money otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

LorMal wrote: »
    Why, what would happen to that money otherwise?

His point was that it generates money for towns around the country which wouldn't see that level of business otherwise.
    Also, as its normally surplus income thats spent on match tickets, food etc I'd imagine quite a bit of it would be spent on amazon or other non irish companies websites, foreign holidays etc so not find its way back into the irish tax coffers at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Do you expect any sporting or cultural organisation, from the GAA to the National Tiddlywinks Association, to refuse funding?

Good thing I don't say they should. I said the funding was embarrassing not them accepting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

John Delaney full stop. /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

John Delaney full stop. /thread

He's had some serious predecessors as well. Bernard O Byrne anyone? The FAI is and always has been a joke organisation motivated entirely by how much money it makes for the top brass with no real interest in the game its supposedly promoting and developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has to be Delaney and the 33rd team bullsh1t, I dont often feel embarrassed about things that happen to this country in sport, politics etc, there's usually a worse example of it happening somewhere else but I really cringed watching that fat corrupt fcuk Blatter laughing about it and the gloating in the UK papers the next day, think I was in Scotland at the time, I remember it being reported heavily in a "Spare a thought for poor Ireland..." kind of way anyway and I was genuinely embarrassed.

2nd place would be all the pompous, arrogant crap that goes into anything associated with rugby, the way people talk about it like anything they do is making history, stuff like that Guinness ad talking about every Irish man feeling 8ft tall, talking about "Historic" victories when its just a fecking friendly international, Ryan Tubridy sucking d1ck trying to pretend he knows anything about sport when they have a rugby player on the LLS every week etc, pure nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Roddy Collins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Eamon Dunphy, Johnny Giles and Liam Brady still working for RTE and been considered relevant in 2014/5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

sup_dude wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Cian O Connor by any length. In his defence though, that was very unreasonable and not entirely his fault. Cian wasn't the only one who was taken out of the running. They were EXTREMELY strict that year. The trace of the drug found in Waterford Crystal was given to the horse months beforehand by a vet as a treatment and would ordinarily not have affected the results. Although the drug was in the system still, it would not have had any effect of the horse. Like I said, the FEI were very very very strict that year and have since apologised and admitted they made a mistake with the strictness of the drug testing.

but a genuine guy who learned his trade from a small farmer outside tipp town got a fehin elbow so sir o reilly got to get some more glory

rmchmufc wrote: »
    Pure head in the sand stuff alright

for each medal she recieved she had a dope test plus an internal, in case sheb had another sampel hidden:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Roddy Collins

No.no. And No, 5 mins in the mans company and you would change your opinion of him, chaps a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

No.no. And No, 5 mins in the mans company and you would change your opinion of him, chaps a legend

Good man roddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Dempsey wrote: »
    A surprisingly religious person trump people that cheat?

Typical Irish bull****. People like you dont deserve an opinion worth noting on irish sport

I didn't say anything trumped anything, I said it was embarrassing and it was to listen to. A valid opinion, more than you've offered anyway.

Jesus made her win apparently, rather than her own training, trainers, effort, skill, ability, preparation etc :rolleyes:

Sure I must pray for a medal myself if your man Jesus is just handing them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

grazeaway wrote: »
    ...the girls faith should have nothing to do with it. .

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Of course this crap isn't isolated to either GAA or even Ireland but it's still pretty embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yahoooo!! up ya boya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

threeball wrote: »
    He's had some serious predecessors as well. Bernard O Byrne anyone? The FAI is and always has been a joke organisation motivated entirely by how much money it makes for the top brass with no real interest in the game its supposedly promoting and developing.

Bernard is now in charge of basketball Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I didn't say anything trumped anything, I said it was embarrassing and it was to listen to. A valid opinion, more than you've offered anyway.

Jesus made her win apparently, rather than her own training, trainers, effort, skill, ability, preparation etc :rolleyes:

Sure I must pray for a medal myself if your man Jesus is just handing them out.

Whilst it may not be everyones cup of tea for her to be so passionate about her faith, to suggest that it should be a source of embarrassment is a bit ridiculous to be honest. I think most people interpret her comments as being that god is a source of inspiration to her and that drives her to do all training and hard work you correctly refer to as the reason for her success. Many sportsmen and women use fame and money to drive them on, she uses her faith. No biggie, good on her and each to their own. I think shes a credit to her familiy and the nation regardless of her motives..but you're entitled to your opinion....

For the record my offering is the lack of discipline and more specifically the lack of enforcement of bans in the gaa as being a source of embarrassment to us. Some of the stuff you see would get you a criminal record if it happened off the pitch. What irritates me more is how some bans get over turned no matter how clear cut the offence was....just my opinion and shared by many already...if some people from abroad saw it at its worst theyd think we were a crowd of savages!!

buyer95 wrote: »

dunno where they get his wages from, they have to be the worst organasion i ever had the misfortune to be involved with, they get worse and smaller each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

buyer95 wrote: »

what exactly is the story with basketball ireland now? They seem to be in a sorry state

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

what exactly is the story with basketball ireland now? They seem to be in a sorry state

It must have been Bernard !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Of course this crap isn't isolated to either GAA or even Ireland but it's still pretty embarrassing.

Handbag stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Finished as a force since the early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

flutered wrote: »
    dunno where they get his wages from, they have to be the worst organasion i ever had the misfortune to be involved with, they get worse and smaller each year.

Didn't even know we have a basketball team..:o
    How often do we play and against who..??
    Do we also have a ladies team.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Cian o'connor and his junkie horse Waterford crystal "meths" losing gold medal for the fcuking HORSE being on drugs

Jessica Kürten ripping him apart for that and then getting caught herself only three years later. (Her suspension was upheld and she got no apology unlike O'Connor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Eddie Macken, disappearing horses and their passports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

A sweaty Marty Morrissey chasing Cindy Crawford for an interview at the Beijing Olympics was particularly creepy.

Advertisement