Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's biggest sporting embarrassment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

two lads kickin the livin daylights out of each other in a cage...its like something out of the middle ages

at least martial arts and boxing have got some sort of discipline

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

fryup wrote: »
    two lads kickin the livin daylights out of each other in a cage...its like something out of the middle ages

at least martial arts and boxing have got some sort of discipline to it

Are you against all combat sports or just MMA?

Just saw your edit. You're clearly an idiot.

Merry Christmas.

i don't really like any combat sports to be honest but at least martial arts and boxing promote some sort of discipline with its participants

but mma is just plain savagery and doesn't set a good example to young people

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

i don't really like any combat sports to be honest but at least martial arts and boxing promote some sort of discipline with its participants

I hate UFC, but the discipline is crazy in it. That is, until one gets an upperr hand and it becomes savagery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Boxing is a far more dangerous sport.

Are you against all combat sports or just MMA?

Just saw your edit. You're clearly an idiot.

Merry Christmas.

and you're clearly a cnut

gfy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Facepalm.

You clearly don't even understand what MMA stands for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Martial Arts has discipline, Mixed Martial Arts on the other hand has.....none? LOL

mixed martial arts / cage fighting

and personally speaking i don't like it, OK

good night

• Advertisement

mixed martial arts / cage fighting

and personally speaking i don't like it, OK

good night

It's in a cage as large parts of the contest can take part on the ground, so participants don't fall out and injure themselves, as would happen if it were to take place in a ring.

You don't have to like the sport, I'd settle for you just not spouting the same old tired, debunked nonsense about something you know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Every U10 soccer match when I hear 'get rid of it'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

moneyman wrote: »
    It's in a cage as large parts of the contest can take part on the ground, so participants don't fall out and injure themselves, as would happen if it were to take place in a ring.

ya they sure really care about the well being of the participants :rolleyes:

i agree with fryup it is a scummy sport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

People shushing in a Limerick pub as Ronan O Gara lined up a kick in Thomond Park one night was fairly cringe worthy.:confused:

On a serious note, Michelle Smith has to be up there.

Also, someone said it earlier but The Late Late Show hatchet job on David Walsh was pretty f!cking infuriating.

People shushing in a Limerick pub as Ronan O Gara lined up a kick in Thomond Park one night was fairly cringe worthy.:confused:

On a serious note, Michelle Smith has to be up there.

Also, someone said it earlier but The Late Late Show hatchet job on David Walsh was pretty f!cking infuriating.

I've witnessed this more times than I can remember. Its very cringeworthy tbh but athletes that cheat their way to success is streets ahead

philstar wrote: »
    ya they sure really care about the well being of the participants :rolleyes:

i agree with fryup it is a scummy sport

They do, actually. It's a combat sport, it's obviously violent. Presumably you don't think boxing is a scummy sport, simply because you're used to it growing up. MMA is much safer than boxing. That's a fact whether you like it or not. I'm a big fan of both sports but there's a huge hypocrisy among people who don't know what they're talking about, who see nothing wrong with boxing but think MMA is barbaric.

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, but ****ty opinions are still ****ty regardless of conviction of belief.

They do, actually. It's a combat sport, it's obviously violent. Presumably you don't think boxing is a scummy sport, simply because you're used to it growing up. MMA is much safer than boxing. That's a fact whether you like it or not. I'm a big fan of both sports but there's a huge hypocrisy among people who don't know what they're talking about, who see nothing wrong with boxing but think MMA is barbaric.

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, but ****ty opinions are still ****ty regardless of conviction of belief.

I prefer Boxing but I've an awful respect for MMA fighters but that statement is not a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

ch750536 wrote: »
    Every U10 soccer match when I hear 'get rid of it'

They shout that in pro soccer as well

Dempsey wrote: »
    I prefer Boxing but I've an awful respect for MMA fighters but that statement is not a fact

I'm a big boxing fan but I'm afraid it is. I don't want to derail the thread but how many deaths have occurred in boxing vs in the UFC? I'm aware there are other MMA organisations out there but we're talking about the UFC here. There are dozens of deaths in boxing, versus 0 in the UFC in 21 years. That's not even mentioning the vast amount of cases of brain damage which have occured in boxing.

People see ground and pound and elbows and assume it's more dangerous than boxing. In reality it's just not - if a fighter in MMA can't defend himself on the ground then the fight is stopped and he doesn't take more punishment. In boxing, competitors take the damage and are then allowed to recover, only to take more damage. This can obviously happen many times in a fight. MMA may appear more harmful but if someone is going to say MMA is barbaric based on the risk to fighter's health, then they're flat out wrong. There's also far more head trauma in boxing due to heavier gloves (and no I'm not suggesting that this is more damaging than lighter gloves, but it allows more protection to the hands and thus more shots to be thrown at full strength) and the fact that it's solely striking, rather than grappling/wrestling/submissions etc..

I'm not criticising boxing at all, I just don't like inaccuracies. They're both great sports and both carry significant risks given that they're combat sports. But if you think McGregor is scum for competing MMA yet hail Katie Taylor as a hero, then you're an uneducated hypocrite. In reality, they're both elite athletes and neither of them are scum for competing in their chosen sports. It's perfectly fair to prefer Katie for her humble personality over Conor's brash trash-talking (which has clearly gone over many people's heads here), but that doesn't invalidate the latter's sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

They shout that in pro soccer as well

That's fine at a pro level. You get rid of snotty tissues, bowel movements or spiders. 'Treat it like your xbox' would be a far better thing to shout to a 9 yr old.

• Advertisement

I'm a big boxing fan but I'm afraid it is. I don't want to derail the thread but how many deaths have occurred in boxing vs in the UFC? I'm aware there are other MMA organisations out there but we're talking about the UFC here. There are dozens of deaths in boxing, versus 0 in the UFC in 21 years. That's not even mentioning the vast amount of cases of brain damage which have occured in boxing.

People see ground and pound and elbows and assume it's more dangerous than boxing. In reality it's just not - if a fighter in MMA can't defend himself on the ground then the fight is stopped and he doesn't take more punishment. In boxing, competitors take the damage and are then allowed to recover, only to take more damage. There's also far more head trauma in boxing due to heavier gloves and the fact that it's solely striking, rather than grappling/wrestling/submissions etc..

I'm not criticising boxing at all, I just don't like inaccuracies. They're both great sports and both carry significant risks given that they're combat sports. But if you think McGregor is scum for competing MMA yet hail Katie Taylor as a hero, then you're an uneducated hypocrite. In reality, they're both elite athletes and neither of them are scum for competing in their chosen sports.

The sample size for boxing under queensbury rules is far far larger if you are looking for that kind of statistic tbh. That doesnt make it safer tbh, the rules around safety of the fighter has changed dramatically in boxing over the past 20 years, stats wont show that too well but it is the case nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm aware there are other MMA organisations out there but we're talking about the UFC here. There are dozens of deaths in boxing, versus 0 in the UFC in 21 years.
    People are not just talking about the UFC here - it's MMA in general, and in MMA in general, there have been deaths.

It's not honest to make the argument you're making.

osarusan wrote: »
    People are not just talking about the UFC here - it's MMA in general, and in MMA in general, there have been deaths.

It's not honest to make the argument you're making.

People are talking about McGregor competing in a scummy sport. He competes in the UFC, a highly regulated organisation. It's completely honest for me to make this argument.

If you want to include other well-known MMA organisations like Pride, Bellator or even Cage Warriors (which was Conor's last organisation), then that's fine, you can also proceed to show me any deaths (hint: there are none).

Even if you include ALL MMA (even unsanctioned, badly regulated organisations), there is still FAR less deaths, even over the same time period. That boxing is safer than MMA is just an argument that can't be made in good faith without burying your head in the sand.

I'm not saying that everyone has to like it. Violent sports are not for everyone. But the misinformation and lazy statements should be called out.

That boxing is safer than MMA is just an argument that can't be made in good faith without burying your head in the sand.

I never said that, and have made no comment about the safety of either sport.

You are the one who said that there haven't been any deaths in UFC and use that to make a general comment about MMA - there have been deaths in MMA (just not in the organisations you mention, which is simply cherrypicking convenient stats). I'm pointing out that you are wrong.

Your statement is in fact the lazy one.

osarusan wrote: »
    I never said that, and have made no comment about the safety of either sport.

Apologies - that particular comment wasn't aimed specifically at you, it was just a general comment.
    You are the one who said that there haven't been any deaths in UFC

There haven't.
    and use that to make a general comment about MMA

It was clearly in the context of McGregor, who fights in the UFC. Different organisations have different governing bodies and rules.
    there have been deaths in MMA (just not in the organisations you mention, which is simply cherrypicking convenient stats).

Not once have I said that there's never been deaths in MMA, you're making a strawman argument. Even if you include ALL MMA organisations, there still has been far, far fewer deaths in MMA over the same timespan as boxing. Regardless of what way you spin this debate, the results are the same. I'm not cherrypicking anything, my previous comment was in relation to Conor. But even including all organisations, MMA is safer. My point is that the better run, more established organisations are safer, as you'd expect.
    I'm pointing out that you are wrong.

I'm not wrong at all. Everything I've said is true.
    Your statement is in fact the lazy one.

Point out where I'm wrong. I've stated facts. Saying MMA is barbaric and scummy without backing it up is lazy and uneducated. Providing an argument that proves otherwise is not.

This has been dragged off topic enough. Minds are already made up despite the evidence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

The Dublin Derby is Bohs v Rovers and to this day is often sold-out, all ticket games except the 'greatest fans in the world' have their arses glued to a barstool watching Reading versus Colchester and getting all emotional shouting 'us', 'we' and 'them'.

What is amazing to me is that people in Eastern Europe and Scandinavia know more about the League of Ireland than the 'greatest fans in the world' do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Don't know any Irish Colchester or Reading fans myself.

Apologies - that particular comment wasn't aimed specifically at you, it was just a general comment.

There haven't.

It was clearly in the context of McGregor, who fights in the UFC. Different organisations have different governing bodies and rules.

Not once have I said that there's never been deaths in MMA, you're making a strawman argument. Even if you include ALL MMA organisations, there still has been far, far fewer deaths in MMA over the same timespan as boxing. Regardless of what way you spin this debate, the results are the same. I'm not cherrypicking anything, my previous comment was in relation to Conor. But even including all organisations, MMA is safer. My point is that the better run, more established organisations are safer, as you'd expect.

I'm not wrong at all. Everything I've said is true.

Point out where I'm wrong. I've stated facts. Saying MMA is barbaric and scummy without backing it up is lazy and uneducated. Providing an argument that proves otherwise is not.

This has been dragged off topic enough. Minds are already made up despite the evidence.

My mind isn't made up really - I'd love to see some proper statistics.

You can't just compare overall numbers, because the number of competitors isn't the same.

How many boxing fights in the world each year, divided by deaths, to reach a percentage, and the same for MMA. Even then, the percentages wouldn't be all that meaningful.

You can't dismiss poorly regulated MMA organisations from your argument, unless you are willing to dismiss similar in boxing - commissions with poor regulations of fights and boxing licences. Or, boxers denied licences to fight in certain jurisdictions because of health concerns, but who head off to who the hell knows where and magically come back with a licence to fight from Dr. Bribedalot.

For much the reasons you mentioned earlier - the fact that punishment is sustained, as boxing fights tend to go on longer, and there is a much greater focus on strikes to the head - I'd guess that boxing has worse safety stats. Ironically, it's what is probably seen as barbaric (kicks to the head etc) which are single concussive blows that end a fight, thereby preventing prolonged punishment, that help MMA's safety record.

But you can't just look at total number of deaths (while excluding those deaths that don't suit your position) and then talk about 'proof' and 'fact.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Ireland have beaten 4 Test nations – England, Pakistan, Bangladesh (twice) and Zimbabwe.

Most of the current squad play first class county cricket in England.

Happy Christmas!!
    What's more the England cricket captain is an Irishman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Western Samoa giving us a hammering in Lansdowne in 96 and Muarry Kid saying you can take that and shove it up your fcuking arse for all I care to media members

Advertisement