Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's biggest sporting embarrassment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Bridge93 wrote: »
    That's a good point but in the short term anyway, seen as they are the most profitable sports organisation here you could say they don't need the funding while others do. Smaller bodies will continue to struggle and some make a loss as they don't have adequate investment to allow them to develop sustainable models long term. All this while the GAA has a brilliant model that makes them millions.
    The GAA can as you say effectively pay back their funding through schemes, and both quantifiable and unquantifiable benefits to the economy. But I was talking in a strictly sporting sense it's quite unfair they're allowed to flourish spectacularly with largely unneeded support while other flounder badly.
    GAA also gets massive income from non sporting events like concerts that others don't.

Not embarrassing from the GAAs point of view but from a government viewpoint it should be. Those who earn a better wage pay more taxes and those really struggling get more benefits. It's kind of like what I'm saying the division of funding should be.

They get less than the FAI and almost the same as the IRFU in sports council grants. The IRFU takes in more money than the GAA too and has lower participation rates.
    The IRFU players also get very generous tax allowances after a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

They get less than the FAI and almost the same as the IRFU in sports council grants. The IRFU takes in more money than the GAA too and has lower participation rates.

Didn't know that, I'll take back some of what I said. But the other two are professional bodies who have to pay wages, cover trips abroad etc. I would be of the opinion that a professional body would need more support than an amateur one.
    Do the GAA have to pay their board members and officials or are they amateur too?

The 600 grand for a stadium in London I will not change my mind on that is a disgrace when it's relatively small cash to the GAA but large in the context of the government funds available to sport in general.

Didn't know that, I'll take back some of what I said. But the other two are professional bodies who have to pay wages, cover trips abroad etc. I would be of the opinion that a professional body would need more support than an amateur one.
    Do the GAA have to pay their board members and officials or are they amateur too?

The 600 grand for a stadium in London I will not change my mind on that is a disgrace when it's relatively small cash to the GAA but large in the context of the government funds available to sport in general.

That €600k is not from sports council funding, it came from the department of foreign affairs emigrant support program. It only represents a small fraction of what the GAA is spending on Ruislip but I would be in agreement that the DFA could have found more worthwhile projects to spend the money on.
    I would hardly describe it as a sporting embarrassment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

The GAA generates millions for the economy on an annual basis and so pays back any of the funding money it gets from the government in the additional tax revenue GAA matches generate.Think of the amount of money that is spent in Dublin, Thurles, Killarney,Cork etc and time there is a big match that would otherwise not be spent.

The money will be spent in any case, whether or not a GAA match was played or not. Are you suggesting the money would not be spent if there wasn't a game?

Soccer has higher participation rare than GAA. Rugby, at least, represents Ireland internationally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,851 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The money will be spent in any case, whether or not a GAA match was played or not. Are you suggesting the money would not be spent if there wasn't a game?

Are you suggesting thousands of people would just spontaneously show up in those towns to spend money on food and drink and thereby put millions into the local economy if the match wasn't played? Or do you just fundamentally misunderstand the benefit of economic activity to an economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

Rule 42. Rule 42 is the answer to the OP's question.

There's really no reason to be embarrassed about one of our teams or one of our athletes performing poorly on any particular day.
    There's no particular reason for national embarrassment when one of our sportspeople act like cnuts (Roy Keane - 2002) or takes drugs (Michelle Smith- 1996). These things happen everywhere.
    However, the deliberate, high profile bigotry of the GAA, up until less than a decade ago, is rather unusual - and made me absolutely cringe. I stopped supporting the GAA in my early teens because of it.

Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Yes.

There are numerous times where my choice of entertainment is to stay at home (and spend nothing) or go to a GAA match, I'm pretty sure there are other people just like me.

Soccer has higher participation rare than GAA. Rugby, at least, represents Ireland internationally.

If anything sports that aren't represented internationally and cannot benefit from increased international exposure and thus access to more revenue should be even more entitled to government help than international sports.

I've never understood why people think its OK for Olympic athletes to get funding (which I'm all for by the way) but there is then something wrong with the GAA getting funding.Olympic athletes contribute almost nothing to the Irish economy and therefore don't really pay back the money they get at least with the GAA's funding it is indirectly returned to the exchequer and so there isn't much real cost with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Name me a sporting organisation who has acted in a completely dignified manner throughout their existence?

Such a strawman. Well done.

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting thousands of people would just spontaneously show up in those towns to spend money on food and drink and thereby put millions into the local economy if the match wasn't played? Or do you just fundamentally misunderstand the benefit of economic activity to an economy?

I, unlike you wasn't being parochial. The general, national, economy will end up the same as the money will be spent anyway.

Fair play to the GAA for the good work they do but most local clubs spend the year pumping the people for every penny they can get. It gets tiresome after a while.

I, unlike you wasn't being parochial. The general, national, economy will end up the same as the money will be spent anyway.

No it won't.

As I pointed out in anther post GAA matches get plenty of people out spending money rather than sitting at home spending nothing.

Fair play to the GAA for the good work they do but most local clubs spend the year pumping the people for every penny they can get. It gets tiresome after a while.

You do know that people don't have to contribute money if they don't want to.

You do know that people don't have to contribute money if they don't want to.

Yes, but that's a separate issue. I'm commenting on the endless shakedowns. A prime example is the local BLOTTO with,typically, 4 numbers from 28, and a chance of someone winning something like once every two years.

Yes, but that's a separate issue. I'm commenting on the endless shakedowns. A prime example is the local BLOTTO with,typically, 4 numbers from 28, and a chance of someone winning something like once every two years.

So, don't do it if you don't want to...what's the problem?

Almost all small soccer clubs run equivilant lottos too, why no criticism there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Like every other lotto in existence then. You know there is a great word you should get to know NO.

Or walk past collections

So, don't do it if you don't want to...what's the problem?

I've already answered that.

Like every other lotto in existence then. You know there is a great word you should get to know NO.

Or walk past collections

I've already answered.

• Advertisement

Almost all small soccer clubs run equivilant lottos too, why no criticism there?

You wouldn't understand.

You wouldn't understand.

Has the GAA left you emotionally scarred somehow or something? :confused:

I've already answered that.

No you haven't, you just made the same point again. If they offer a lottery ticket, just say no. You have not explained how that is not possible for you.

I've already answered.

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

This thread is an embarrassment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Michelle Smith. Every day of the week for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

The funding the GAA receive from the government is fairly embarrassing. They are the biggest association on the island with by far the largest revenue yet they recieve a huge cut of the funding compared to those who need it more.
    They got 600,000 to help build a HQ in London for feck sake. Ridiculous. If the want to waste money like that it should be out of their own large earnings rather than public funds. There are associations like Basketball, Athletics and Hockey struggling to survive due to a lack of funding and they can't raise it themselves as they don't have the structure, opportunities or facilities the GAA have.
    Yet the GAA continue to take a considerable chunk of the money. For a sport not competing on an international stage it's all the more needless.

What's even more embarrassing and surely near the top is the Government funding itself. €25 million was the total sum out government put up for sport this year. A pathetic sum of money to spread across everything.

Do you expect any sporting or cultural organisation, from the GAA to the National Tiddlywinks Association, to refuse funding?

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Do you expect any sporting or cultural organisation, from the GAA to the National Tiddlywinks Association, to refuse funding?

Wait there is a National Tiddlywinks Association. I am so there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Wait there is a National Tiddlywinks Association. I am so there

Wouldnt mind the tiddlywinks either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

There certainly is! But even the North American Tiddlywinks Association don't seem to know much about them. :pac:

http://www.tiddlywinks.org/pubs/bibliography/tw_associations/

Advertisement