Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Most Under Appreciated Sporting Achievement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

My eldest stopped playing at club level when he was told by his trainers he had to pick either hurling or not to bother coming back. He has stuck with the soccer and has not looked back since.

Yeah because no rugby or soccer coach in history ever told a player to choose between
    their sport and another...
    Nice chip on your shoulder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

My eldest stopped playing at club level when he was told by his trainers he had to pick either hurling or not to bother coming back. He has stuck with the soccer and has not looked back since.

A few years ago Edenderry told about 15 of their players to concentrate properly on playing football or don't bother. As a result the players who were playing soccer left and joined another club. However Edenderry went on as complete outsiders to win the county championship the next year.If teams want to succeed a lot of times they have to be fairly hard on the players and demand more commitment.May not be what some people want but it probably works in a lot of cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Yeah because no rugby or soccer coach in history ever told a player to choose between
    their sport and another...
    Nice chip on your shoulder

I have no chip on my shoulder. If anything I am happy he stopped playing the gaa as he is very good at the soccer and if he wanted to follow his dream across the water and play for one of the top clubs I am all for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

They have held back every other sporting code in the country by at least 50 years. The "football" is for lads who could not make it playing a real sport like soccer and as for hurling there is nothing even remotely enjoyable about watching 30 people beat each other with sticks while chasing a little ball.
    And sailing. A load of men in a big boat floating around in the sea.
    And shouting. A load of men going around shouting.
    And so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Eddy Irvine is an interesting one as he did come close to a world championship in F1 but....it was only as Schumi broke his leg and his replacement (Salo) gifted a couple of race wins to him. Not bad really as you have to be the position in the first place but overall his career never really hit the peaks it at one time promised.

In the context of the time and the opposition Eddie Jordan did very well in F1 team managment. Came close the year above when Frentzen had a mech failure when leading one of the last races. They were unlucky. There was an Irish driver (forget his name) who might have driven for Jordan in the early days but it didnt happen. Pity as this guy was apparently as good as anyone but didnt have the application. If he was with Jordan and they had a good engine the world might have been their oyster but such are the way of these things....just remebered his name Tommy Byrne there a good book on him for anyone whos interested

However in my view its our equestrian heroes who are definitey underappreciated. If horse racing was compared go F1 the dominent nation by a long way would be Ireland. We breed the best horses our Trainers are regarded as some of the best and then when it comes to jockies we pretty much have most of the top 10 in flat anf national hunt (let alone show jumping though why that has not been better is a whole other discussion....)

on the superstar jockey front way to many to mention (which proves the point) but in context guys like Pat Eddery, Ruby Walsh, etc are up there with Senna, Schumacer, etc but for whatever reason we dont appreciate their phenomenal achievements. Weld, Ox, O'Brien to name a few have achieved amazing success as Trainers but again dont really get widespread acclaim...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Don't know if already mentioned but Michelle Smith's achievement in 1996 (3 gold and 1 bronze) has been totally forgotten by most. Her medals stand and she was as clean as everyone else at the games (she was tested), she won medals and didn't come even close to breaking any records.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

kenco wrote: »
    on the superstar jockey front way to many to mention (which proves the point) but in context guys like Pat Eddery, Ruby Walsh, etc are up there with Senna, Schumacer, etc but for whatever reason we dont appreciate their phenomenal achievements.

*Ahem*......

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

irishfeen wrote: »
    Don't know if already mentioned but Michelle Smith's achievement in 1996 (3 gold and 1 bronze) has been totally forgotten by most. Her medals stand and she was as clean as everyone else at the games (she was tested), she won medals and didn't come even close to breaking any records.

pandoras box...
    and yes at the time she passed the tests, and when u read about so called American superstar athletes during 80s and 90s failing out of competition drugs tests, and it passed to one side, maybe the Irish were to honest!!:rolleyes:

kfallon wrote: »
    *Ahem*......

:p

Didnt want to embarrass you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

To be fair, most big sporting achievements get a lot of recognition. The problem a lot - not all - of Irish sports fans have is supporting - any - Irish sports teams when they're in less fashionable and ignominious periods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

chrysagon wrote: »
    pandoras box...
    and yes at the time she passed the tests, and when u read about so called American superstar athletes during 80s and 90s failing out of competition drugs tests, and it passed to one side, maybe the Irish were to honest!!:rolleyes:
    I suppose we will never know for sure .. the Americans were the ones who led the campaign against her, it would be tragic for Smith personally if she was actually clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Wedwood wrote: »
    Shamrock Rovers beating Partizan Belgrade in 2011 to qualify for the group stages of the Europa League.

I'm including both legs of the tie.

In the first leg in Tallaght, Gary McCabe scored a late equaliser to grab a 1-1 draw.

In the second leg, Rovers again came from behind to win 2-1 with goals from Pat Sullivan and Stephen O'Donnell.

It was widely appreciated to be honest. Lots of coverage and positive commentary.

Just a pity it all evaporated almost the second it wasn't repeated every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

I think Andy Lee's recent world title would have to be considered.

I'd have only a passing interest in boxing, but probably would have sought out the fight if I knew of it in advance ... First I heard or saw of it was on the RTE website the morning after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

mooonpie wrote: »
    I think Andy Lee's recent world title would have to be considered.

I'd have only a passing interest in boxing, but probably would have sought out the fight if I knew of it in advance ... First I heard or saw of it was on the RTE website the morning after.
    Ireckon the first time RTE KNEW he had won was when they looked at SKY sports!:p

chrysagon wrote: »
    Ireckon the first time RTE KNEW he had won was when they looked at SKY sports!:p

In fairness it didn't get much publicity in advance. The Second Captains lads did talk about it a bit but they were the exception

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Dan Martin's monument wins, barely even reported in the Irish media.

And on that note, Sean Kelly's entire career is under-rated. One of the greatest Irish sportsmen ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

iDave wrote: »
    Denis Irwins career in general.

Eddie Irvine only being a few points off a world title.

Jim McGuiness taking an average team to an All Ireland. ( boo hoo they hand passed a lot)

I don't think Dinny Irwin was underappreciated, more so that Dinny himself was a shy guy who rarely did interviews. He certainly wasn't under appreciated at ManU and I'm sure most ManU fans would recognise the contribution he made to their early success. He was always a shoe in for Ireland too, an automatic pick for Mr.Reliable. Once Irwin was at left back you knew that position was covered and covered well.

I agree with you about Eddie Irvine completely. We've never had much of a history at Formula 1 and then in the late 1990's suddenly came along Eddie Jordan who ran a very successful small F1 team on a budget yet managed to finish 5th in the Constructors Championship, some achievement for a small team battling against billionaires and outfits like Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, etc.

Eddie Irvine himself was a bit special IMO, he was a right proper entertainer as well as being a superb driver. But it was his audaciouness that I always loved and especially the story of Irvine vs.Senna. Most F1 fans will tell you that the fastest driver the sport has ever seen was Aryton Senna, until his death in 1994 he was like a god on the track and his style of driving intimidated drivers. Senna had this unbelievable ability at passing out drivers without letting his foot off the gas, in one race he began on pole position but his engine stalled and four cars passed him out before he got moving. Within the space of the first lap Senna had overtaken all four cars and moved from fifth to first in under three minutes. That's what he was capable of. But when he came up against Eddie Irvine Senna found a match. Senna was the race leader at Japan in 1993 and he came up behind Irvine to lap him. Rules state that if you're being lapped then you should let the man through as he's faster than you. Irvine was having none of this and gave Senna a torrid time to get past him. When he eventually did Irvine stayed right up Senna's arse until the two of them approached the Williams of Damon Hill. Senna was having problems getting past Hill and Irvine was getting frustrated so in an audacious move Irvine overtook Senna and unlapped himself. What ensued for the next few minutes was a classic bit of Formula 1 with Senna Irvine and Hill all in a dogfight on one of the twistiest circuits on the F1 calender. It culminated later that evening with Senna going into the Jordan motorhome and punching Irvine in the face, telling him he needs to learn some respect :D

In 1999 Irvine was driving alongside Michael Schumacher in the Ferrari. In the third race of the season Schumacher crashed badly and broke his leg and suddenly Irvine was the no.1 driver. iirc he was on course to be the first Irish driver ever to win a F1 Championship, he racked up some six or seven first places that year as well as a number of other podiums. And then in one of the final races Irvine went in for a pit stop and the mechanics came out with three tyres instead of four. The whole cock up cost him about 20 seconds and ultimately the race and partly the championship. At the time Irvine was supposedly arguing alot with the team principal Jean Todt and some believe the mechanics arriving with three tyres was delibriate sabotage of Irvines championship push- if Ferrari were to break their duck they wanted Schumacher to do it, not Irvine. The truth will never be known but one thing is for certain- a bunch of well trained and drilled pit lane mechanics arriving at a car with only three tyres is just beyond belief. Even to this day it has to rank as one of the biggest ever cock ups the sport has ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Eddy Irvine is an interesting one as he did come close to a world championship in F1 but....it was only as Schumi broke his leg and his replacement (Salo) gifted a couple of race wins to him. Not bad really as you have to be the position in the first place but overall his career never really hit the peaks it at one time promised.

In the context of the time and the opposition Eddie Jordan did very well in F1 team managment. Came close the year above when Frentzen had a mech failure when leading one of the last races. They were unlucky. There was an Irish driver (forget his name) who might have driven for Jordan in the early days but it didnt happen. Pity as this guy was apparently as good as anyone but didnt have the application. If he was with Jordan and they had a good engine the world might have been their oyster but such are the way of these things....just remebered his name Tommy Byrne there a good book on him for anyone whos interested

However in my view its our equestrian heroes who are definitey underappreciated. If horse racing was compared go F1 the dominent nation by a long way would be Ireland. We breed the best horses our Trainers are regarded as some of the best and then when it comes to jockies we pretty much have most of the top 10 in flat anf national hunt (let alone show jumping though why that has not been better is a whole other discussion....)

on the superstar jockey front way to many to mention (which proves the point) but in context guys like Pat Eddery, Ruby Walsh, etc are up there with Senna, Schumacer, etc but for whatever reason we dont appreciate their phenomenal achievements. Weld, Ox, O'Brien to name a few have achieved amazing success as Trainers but again dont really get widespread acclaim...

Very good post! While I agree Eddie did get plenty of help from Salo and Schumacher (when he returned), but one thing that a lot of people dont realise is that if Schumacher had walked away from that crash in Silverstone without any injuries....he and Irvine were level on points in the Championship and that was exactly half way through the season. That itself was a great achievement by Irvine and maybe if Ferrari had put more effort into developing the car after the British GP...and they didnt lose Eddie's wheels during pitstops then we could have had an Irish World Champion!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

Thomas F. Kiely, all round Olympic Champion. That is all.

If we're going with the most underappreciated Irish sporting achievements then I think it has to be Joey Dunlop. Not underappreciated by fans of motorbike racing but by the Irish media in general. If you watch RTE or read any mainstream media you'd be forgiven for thinking that motorbike racing doesn't exist as a sport at all. Yet in parts of Ireland it is almost like a religion. Joey Dunlop was certainly appreciated by fans inside the sport, as evidenced by the 50,000 people at his funeral. But outside the sport I don't think people have a true appreciation of what he achieved and how he was head and shoulders above anyone around him.

During his career on home soil he won the Ulster Grand Prix 24 times and the Northwest 200 13 times. But his best performances were at the TT in the Isle of Man where he recorded 26 race wins, including three hat tricks. The TT is a 37 mile long course around the island and for every mile of road way there has been 5 deaths. So for a man to go around that at the speeds he did knowing that every corner has claimed a life is a hard enough thing to do. But then to go do that faster than anyone else and beat the field on 26 occasions really shows that he was something special.

On top of all that every November Joey filled his van up full of food and clothes and drove it, on his own, all the way from Northern Ireland to a Romanian orpanage and back. He didn't do this for publicity, he just did it because thats what Joey did. The guy was a complete and utter legend and is greatly underappreciated IMO.

Here's part of an onboard lap with Joey from the 1983 Isle of Man TT. Even though the footage is a bit grainy you can still get an appreciation for the speeds and danger that he put himself in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Scott Evans the badminton player.. ranked 33 in the world, in a sport dominated by asians mainly.

(ok not the greatest win, but what hes done with the resources hes had is brilliant)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Someone mentioned earlier Fermanagh reaching the All Ireland semi final in 2004, and while agreeing wholeheartedly with what was a phenomenal achievement, I would add the rise of Wexford football in the last decade as going totally under the radar. In a county where hurling still holds more of a place in the general public's hearts, since 2008 they have reached more Leinster finals in football in the same period as the hurlers, and have contested an All-Ireland semi final more recently too, in 2008 (in a year which saw them reach their first Leinster football final since the 50's, that saw them come from ten points down to beat Meath, saw them shock modern-day power-houses Armagh in the quarter finals, and push eventual champions Tyrone all the way in the semis). They may have got annihalated in the Leinster final in 2008, but were argeuably the closest team to the all-conquering Dubs since (aside from Meath defeating in 2010), and even contested more Leinster finals than McGeeney's much-heralded Lillywhites.

They came a long way from sparse crowds in Division Four and championship exits at the first hurdle, and it was a mighty acheivement in reaching the Division One League final in 2004 (defeating reigning AI champions Tyrone in the semis). I was a proud man being poresent at them winning their first piece of silverware since 1945 (I think) when they won the Division Three league title in that great year of 2008, and indeed their first ever Leinster under-21 football title in 2011. Not to mention seeing Matty Forde not only win an All Star, but make national headlines for his scoring prowess.

Now I understand the above pales in signifcance to some of the suggestions mentioned in the thread already, but I genuinely believe they don't get the credit they deserve, and unfortunately that will continue to be the case so long as the hurlers continue to draw the crowds.

Someone mentioned earlier Fermanagh reaching the All Ireland semi final in 2004.

I remember that Fermanagh team, they were all circa 25 years of age and they could handpass the ball faster than any team I'd seen up to that point.

This may or may not be true but I later heard from a Louth player that the success of the 2004 Fermanagh team was due to a big push by Sean Quinn to try to land an Ulster title for Fermanagh. So he employed virtually the entire team in his businesses except they hardly did any work- the team were essentially Irelands first ever professional GAA team in that they spent more of their week training than they did working. He employed the best coaches money could find and it was all very professionally set up for an amateur game. Again I'm not sure if it was true but it would certainly go a long way towards explaining how Fermangh were useless one year and then suddenly they looked like a good outside bet for the All Ireland the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

....just remebered his name Tommy Byrne there a good book on him for anyone whos interested...

I have read that book and it's very entertaining and, if true, fairly shocking at how unfairly he was treated.

The way Ron Dennis behaves, even to Button last year,I wouldn't be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I remember that Fermanagh team, they were all circa 25 years of age and they could handpass the ball faster than any team I'd seen up to that point.

This may or may not be true but I later heard from a Louth player that the success of the 2004 Fermanagh team was due to a big push by Sean Quinn to try to land an Ulster title for Fermanagh. So he employed virtually the entire team in his businesses except they hardly did any work- the team were essentially Irelands first ever professional GAA team in that they spent more of their week training than they did working. He employed the best coaches money could find and it was all very professionally set up for an amateur game. Again I'm not sure if it was true but it would certainly go a long way towards explaining how Fermangh were useless one year and then suddenly they looked like a good outside bet for the All Ireland the next.

There were always fairly decent around that time in fairness, got to the quarter finals in 2003 (but were destroyed by Tyrone).Should have won Ulster in 2008 when they went to a replay against Armagh.

They had some very good players around that time (Tom Brewster,Barry Owens,Marty McGrath,Mark Little,Niall Bogue etc) and Rory Gallagher their best player didn't even play in 2004. It was a great achievement that they actually had a quite a decent team for such a small county, but still they massively over achieved for the size of the county (about 20 clubs) and I'd be amazed if they ever get to another all ireland semi final in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Fermanagh getting to the All Ireland Semi Final in 2004 and beating a great Armagh team on the way.They have very little tradition and a have an absolutely tiny pick.It will never happen again.

Dont know about that, every time Fermanagh lose (which is fairly often) I hear that 2004 season being mentioned as if it should be like that every year. I had a rant on the GAA forum about this before, how people take random, one off events in the GAA to suddenly be the norm.

I know they arent on TV much, but listen to any Fermanagh match on the radio maybe and 2004 will be mentioned at least once. Its the same with Wexford and 1996 or England and 1966.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Your hatred is misplaced.

I played soccer growing up and had to sign a contract stating I'd play no other sport as I hit my mid to late teens.

My rugby school also tried to ensure rugby was the only sport I played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Soups123 wrote: »
    Not so much underrated but Robbie Keanes contribution to Ireland is often under appreciated he'll be recited as a legend when he's gone

My BF would totally agree, eh can't understand why Robbie Keane isn't more feted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Think because Sonia O'Sullivan never won Olympic gold, she's been forgotten a bit, but she was so great.

1996 was the year. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    My BF would totally agree, eh can't understand why Robbie Keane isn't more feted.

Because if you create a complicated, arbitrary set of conditions that means excluding goals scored before 2010, goals against bad teams, goals in qualifiers, goals from penalties, and goals scored in soccer matches, he really has 0 goals, and is nothing.

Advertisement