Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Most Under Appreciated Sporting Achievement

Options
  • 02-01-2015 1:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Without a doubt it was coming 3rd in 1997 Youth World Cup. Brian Kerr was manager.

Naturally the 'Greatest Fans in the World' have absolutely no idea that an Irish soccer team came very close to winning a World Cup. I reckon because a lot of the players were from the League of Ireland that both RTE and the "Greatest Fans in the World" didn't give a toss.

I think that is very unfortunate. So I would like to nominate this as Ireland's most under appreciated sporting achievement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_FIFA_World_Youth_Championship

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

This whole "Greatest Fans in the World" shite you keep coming out with is getting tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Soups123

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Without a doubt it was coming 3rd in 1997 Youth World Cup. Brian Kerr was manager.

Naturally the 'Greatest Fans in the World' have absolutely no idea that an Irish soccer team came very close to winning a World Cup. I reckon because a lot of the players were from the League of Ireland that both RTE and the "Greatest Fans in the World" didn't give a toss.

I think that is very unfortunate. So I would like to nominate this as Ireland's most under appreciated sporting achievement.

This achievement was watch and recognised by many sports fan's RTE even covered it live which was rare at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Soups123

Not so much underrated but Robbie Keanes contribution to Ireland is often under appreciated he'll be recited as a legend when he's gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Kildares 1927 All Ireland Senior Football win

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

All of cricket Irelands recent exploits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Katie Taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hipster sports fans. Bleedin deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Katie Taylor.

She does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Katie Taylor.

Read the thread title again, Champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,822 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ireland U17 Girls team reaching the UEFA European Championship final in 2010 but losing to Spain on penalties. It meant they qualified for the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Tony mccoy....Ireland most underappreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ConM96

I find that most( if not all) of Ireland's tennis players receive little to no credit or attention to their achievements. James mcGee,Louk sorensen to name but a few give their everything week in and week out and the irish media seem uninterested. Okay, they may not be winning main draw matches but both have experienced good wins on the ITF circuit and more recently James qualified for the U.S. Open. I really feel they deserve more recognition for their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

She does my head in.

In what way? She actually comes across as a really down-to-earth, hardworking and humble (despite her success). Compare her personality and attitude to that of Conor McGregor who seems like a right knob altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Padraig Harrington's majors

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

These Lads, (cant post full links yet)
    theirishstory.com/2012/06/22/irelands-forgotten-olympians-the-irish-whales/#.VKXvVXtyO-c
    sportsbant.com/articles/383/When-Irishmen-dominated-the-Olympics
    the "Irish Whales" although they didn't represent Ireland were Irish born Olympic champions. TG4 did a documentary on them a year or 2 ago.
    Not so much under appreciated as forgotten or unknown to most people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

padohaodha wrote: »

Widely acknowledged as the best jockey of all time? Hmmm nah, not really that underappreciated in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

thelad95 wrote: »
    In what way? She actually comes across as a really down-to-earth, hardworking and humble (despite her success). Compare her personality and attitude to that of Conor McGregor who seems like a right knob altogether.

Her accent goes through me, not her fault really.

I dont like overly religious people.

There is that really sexist ad she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Her accent goes through me, not her fault really.

I dont like overly religious people.

There is that really sexist ad she did.

The car insurance one? That was pretty shocking alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

ConM96 wrote: »
    I find that most( if not all) of Ireland's tennis players receive little to no credit or attention to their achievements. James mcGee,Louk sorensen to name but a few give their everything week in and week out and the irish media seem uninterested. Okay, they may not be winning main draw matches but both have experienced good wins on the ITF circuit and more recently James qualified for the U.S. Open. I really feel they deserve more recognition for their work.

Not really, qualifying for the 1st round of a grand slam along with 127 other players is hardly a great achievement. If he got to the 4TH round I'd say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dave 'boy' McCauley, World flyweight boxing Champion back in the late eighties.

His achievements went largely unnoticed for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Dan Martin's monument wins, barely even reported in the Irish media.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

What the hell are you talking about?

That u-20 World Cup got massive coverage at the time. So did subsequent
    tournaments where Ireland had success at youth level under Brian Kerr.

Are you looking for things to be outraged by?

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Not really, qualifying for the 1st round of a grand slam along with 127 other players is hardly a great achievement. If he got to the 4TH round I'd say something.

That's no mean feat he had to win 3 matches to qualify aswell as have a high enough ranking. Plus he has to do this on little to no money as ITf prize money is sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

ConM96 wrote: »
    That's no mean feat he had to win 3 matches to qualify aswell as have a high enough ranking. Plus he has to do this on little to no money as ITf prize money is sh1te.

At least the prize money for reaching the first round has improved substantially so it gives the weaker players a better chance to make a decent enough living.

pauliebdub wrote: »
    At least the prize money for reaching the first round has improved substantially so it gives the weaker players a better chance to make a decent enough living.

Thankfully it has but instead of adding more money to the winners cheque these tournaments need to put it on the early rounds. Needless to say that wont happen anytime in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Kilkennys dominance in hurling is greatly under appreciated. Probably because everyone is sick of them winning. To win 10 All Irelands as a player and 10 as a manager is an absolutely phenomenal achievement.

Other then that I would say Robbie Keanes goal scoring record. Nearly feel bad for him how little recognition that he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Dan Martin's monument wins, barely even reported in the Irish media.

Can't believe I forgot this. One of the best cyclists in a truly worldwide sport. One of the best Irish sportsmen ever imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Alba Frere

padohaodha wrote: »

McCoy receives a lot of praise in the media both in Ireland and the UK but IMO he's over rated and takes attention away from all the other NH jockeys who work as hard and are just as brave. His racing ability doesn't come close to jockeys like Ruby Walsh and Barry Geraghty. Yes he has a huge number of winners in terms of quantity but comparing him to Walsh and Geraghty for example is like comparing Kevin Kilbane who has like 115 caps for Ireland to Roy Keane who has 63 caps I think or thereabouts. But who's better? Who won multiple Premier Leagues, FA Cups and a Champions League?

An athlete underrated IMO is Robert Heffernan, the racewalking World Champion. Of course I know f**k all people do it but the man can walk a marathon under 3 hours! Try run a mile in 6 minutes and tell me what it feels like and that's how fast he walks for 50km.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

On the last 3 away trips ive been on supporting the national side, ive heard that 97 team come up in conversation numerous times. The vast majority of Irish match going soccer fans ('the best fans in the world') know about them. I love the little league of Ireland reference aswell. A huge portion of the 'Greatest fans in the world' are made up of LOI regulars, something that seems to be forgotten when that tag line gets thrown around as an insult

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

sugarman wrote: »
    Or the European Championships he actually won with them the following year

What happened those players since? Why didn't they go on and win trophies for the seniors?

Advertisement