Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are hackers sad fvckers who need a slap?

Options
  • 27-12-2014 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

With Sony and Microsoft having been hacked on Christmas day and Sony also hacked by someone re The Interview what is it that drives these losers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

You can't hack a pair of roller blades!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

what is it that drives these losers?

Their mothers I'd assume, since they can only be 12 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

With Sony and Microsoft having been hacked on Christmas day

That's not hacking

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Depends on the hackers, what they're hacking, why they're hacking and what tehir aims are.

the xbox/sony ones seem a bit pointless.

• Advertisement

Their mothers I'd assume, since they can only be 12 or so

As a perhaps over logical aside no way are those who hacked sony 12 year olds. Hacking isnt that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That's not hacking

I wrote a dissertation on hacking. I focused on the guys on MIT in the 70's. What's happening with Sony/xbox isn't hacking in the classical sense but in your common parlance it is :\

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

With Sony and Microsoft having been hacked on Christmas day

The PS4 and Xbox One were not hacked, all indications are it was a DDoS attack which completely overloaded their servers. Information from these servers cannot be stolen during a DDos attack, a DDos attack is not a hack. All a DDos attack does is overload targeted servers with requests, this eventually results in a complete slowdown of services and a server crash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

They'd get more than a slap if I got my hands on them.

Try explaining to an autistic child on Christmas morning why their game won't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

As a perhaps over logical aside no way are those who hacked sony 12 year olds. Hacking isnt that easy.

Err it's not actually hacking, more spamming. Any oul goat with a script and fingers can do it

• Advertisement

Err it's not actually hacking, more spamming. Any oul goat with a script and fingers can do it

The DOS yes. The Interview Sony hack is more advanced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

'Tis modern day warfare!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It depends on what the point of the hack is. A lot of people hack as a measure of freedom and a request for truth and honesty - wikileaks is part founded on the basis of hackers. While you might not agree with them or their motives, they're certainly a bit more than "sad feckers who need a slap".
    They'd get more than a slap if I got my hands on them.

Try explaining to an autistic child on Christmas morning why their game won't work.

Would you drive round to Electric Ireland or whoever and slaip them too if the power was down?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

'Tis Modern Day Vandalism, more like.

Bring back Capital Punishment!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Sclosages wrote: »
    'Tis modern day warfare!

Tis a first world problem

Grayson wrote: »
    I wrote a dissertation on hacking. I focused on the guys on MIT in the 70's. What's happening with Sony/xbox isn't hacking in the classical sense but in your common parlance it is :\

Just because it's common parlance doesn't mean it's correct or that it should be repeated ad nauseum by media etc. Distributed denial of service attacks are not a form of hacking in any way whatsoever. It's akin to hitting the refresh button repeatedly and flooding a website with too much traffic.

The only reason it is considered 'hacking' in common parlance is because the term has been co-opted by people who don't know what they're talking about in order to paint anyone who does nefarious stuff online with the same brush. And it lays right into the script-kiddies hands to have the media describe them as 'hackers'

Is North Korea considered to be in the first world?

Howya Kim Jong Un.

Would you drive round to Electric Ireland or whoever and slaip them too if the power was down?
    Well the electricity companies don't deliberately disrupt their supply, these "hackers" are cutting the wires so to speak.

If ya shut down me internet access btw - I be fierce pissed off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ah yes the goats, even when it was the bears, I knew it was them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I'd rather see the admins and security management people slapped. This is equivalent of having a policy in place of never locking the front door of your shop, having it broken into several times, then acting surprised when some bad people come along and rip everything off and tag the walls on the way out.

The had enough warning this was coming, but failed to act. Bad people are out there, and while you can never be 100% secure, the aim should be to make it too much hassle to bother attacking you.

Just because it's common parlance doesn't mean it's correct or that it should be repeated ad nauseum by media etc. Distributed denial of service attacks are not a form of hacking in any way whatsoever. It's akin to hitting the refresh button repeatedly and flooding a website with too much traffic.

The only reason it is considered 'hacking' in common parlance is because the term has been co-opted by people who don't know what they're talking about in order to paint anyone who does nefarious stuff online with the same brush. And it lays right into the script-kiddies hands to have the media describe them as 'hackers'
    Most of these DDOS attacks are by organised gangs using botnets, I'm not sure how many script kiddies have access to these botnets.

harney wrote: »
    I'd rather see the admins and security management people slapped. This is equivalent of having a policy in place of never locking the front door of your shop, having it broken into several times, then acting surprised when some bad people come along and rip everything off and tag the walls on the way out.

The had enough warning this was coming, but failed to act. Bad people are out there, and while you can never be 100% secure, the aim should be to make it too much hassle to bother attacking you.

Have Sony head-hunted you yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well the electricity companies don't deliberately disrupt their supply, these "hackers" are cutting the wires so to speak.
    We're talking about an autistic child here! Try explaing that to them!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There is nothing you can do to stop a Ddos attack, besides having aload of backup reserved bandwidth for your servers and even then it won't fully prevent it. It's basically a targeted overload of an already strained system, and because of heavy traffic on Christmas Day, this situation makes it even easier to do with even less work on their part.

A DDOS attack is akin to having a trainload of "shoppers" go in your door at once and none of them buying and preventing legitimate shoppers from entering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

+1

The people who spout on about Net-Neutrality should think on this when they pontificate about an "equal internet"

The only way is to lock down the important stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Sony had 100TB of data stolen, is that not the hack we are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Tis a first world problem

What's with all the Yanks saying that on Twitter? Emo Josh "I dropped my guyliner #firstworldproblem" or some Yank girl going on about college #firstworldproblem I'd be more worried about the future of their country. The only hope the majority of Americans have outside of New York and California is a minimum wage job at Wallgreens/Walmart/Subway or to get hooked on meth.

• Advertisement

Most of these DDOS attacks are by organised gangs using botnets, I'm not sure how many script kiddies have access to these botnets.

Anyone can get access to and control of a botnet. You can literally rent them by the hour these days through services offered via the deep web.

Advertisement