Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are hackers sad fvckers who need a slap?

Options
2»

Comments

harney wrote: »
    Sony had 100TB of data stolen, is thst not the hack we are talking about?
    No there were two different attacks, one on Sony which was a crack rather than a hack and the one on xbox services which was a brute force DDOS which just made the services unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Sony had 100TB of data stolen, is thst not the hack we are talking about?

No, we are talking about MS and Sony's online gaming network being overloaded targeted for Christmas Day and the attack was announced months in advance. Nothing you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Sony had 100TB of data stolen, is that not the hack we are talking about?
    Thats what I thought. Seems half are while other half are classing DOS as a hack???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

The computer hackers largely just enjoy finding and exploiting loopholes in code/systems - same way many people in legal/accounting/finance-and-banking/etc. firms enjoy and are employed finding loopholes in laws/regulations; it's just looking for exploits/loopholes, but within a different field.

In all cases, it can be big business and extraordinarily profitable, and it's a form of illegality that is easy to get away with, when done right.

The main difference with computer hacking, is a lot of people also do it purely for fun/notoriety as well - and it's a pretty level playing field, where even a teenage schoolkid can gain the abilities/skills needed to discover and successfully exploit systems; many start off, just by learning to exploit computer games they like playing (abilities that can be very useful to them professionally later on, whether they go the legal - programming - or illegal - hacking/exploiting - route).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Would you drive round to Electric Ireland or whoever and slaip them too if the power was down?

Don't be silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Ah, I thought it was the data theft we were talking about.

A long read on skiddies attacking a site via ddos back in 2001 or so:

http://www.crime-research.org/library/grcdos.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

The real sad fuvkers are losers like me who spend too much time playing video games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I think it's quite hilarious seeing all the diehard gamers rage all over Twitter and Facebook on Christmas day saying stuff like "F*ck you Lizard Squad, how could you take away gaming on Christmas Day from us"...yeah dumbass Christmas is for spending time with family and friends, not being confined to your room with turkey grease all over your headset and controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

being confined to your room with turkey grease all over your headset and controller.

That's durty :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

I think it's quite hilarious seeing all the diehard gamers rage all over Twitter and Facebook on Christmas day saying stuff like "F*ck you Lizard Squad, how could you take away gaming on Christmas Day from us"...yeah dumbass Christmas is for spending time with family and friends, not being confined to your room with turkey grease all over your headset and controller.

Dumbass - some of us don't like family. Friends are usually with their family. Playing games cos they don't like their families either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Christmas is for whatever people want to do with it (within the law).

I'm raging that I didn't see the salaries of 6k Sony staff. Link anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭rosedream

Depends on the motive, but a lot of them just seem to hack and exploit innocent people's information either for money or just for the sake of actually being able to do it, as well as the whole celebrity hacks.

I just think a lot of the energy could least be put into exposing genuine criminal activity online, and I mean the genuine heavy stuff, not the whole downloading films and music from pirate sites.

rosedream wrote: »

I just think a lot of the energy could least be put into exposing genuine criminal activity online, and I mean the genuine heavy stuff, not the whole downloading films and music from pirate sites.

This is where Penelope comes in. FBI hire hackers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Like a say a good slap

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/31/lizard-squad-ddos-service-playstation-xbox-lizardstresser
    Lizard Squad now helping anyone copy its PlayStation and Xbox attacks

The hacking group has released the ‘LizardStresser’ DDoS tool to help people overload websites and internet services, charging between $6 and $500 per attack

• Registered Users Posts: 24 NowThatsCool

No they don't deserve a slap. But they do deserve the censure of then law - both criminal and civil.

They first deserve to be prosecute under criminal law for vandalism. They then need to appear in court in a civil actions by Microsoft and Sony suing for loss of earnings. They then need to be sued by the hundreds and thousands of folks who were denied access to these sites for "mental anguish". Perhaps a few years in the slammer followed by financial ruin will teach these prats that vandalism is vandalism, whether it is perpetrated on the internet or a number 47 bus shelter.

p.s. what I really loved was the Sky TV interview where the goon faced Finnish hacker said (I paraphrase) "it was better for kids to spend family time together on Christmas than play video games". What a very Taliban perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭EnmxLP

"Finest Squad" and "Lizard Squad" both originate from the gaming community, both f##king idiots. They talk themselves up about being mastermind hackers, which in-fairness taking down the servers of a multimillionaire company i can only imagine isn't an easy task. But why Microsoft and Sony, why not do something useful like making games free in the marketplace or comedically hacking websites, but no they take down games and think they're hot sh!t that will take over the world. Although two of the Lizard squad members were arrested, video about it on youtube here: /watch?v=dsZeCmCPxyg

The interview with both hacking squads is hilarious and cringey, i recommend the watching it. /watch?v=s-vwIn1atgg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I suppose part of the fun must be to see if you can as opposed to anything else

Stuff like the icloud thing with the pictures was awful though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Christmas is for whatever people want to do with it (within the law).

Why limit yourself to doing only pre-perscribed activities from a rule book created by a bunch of drysh1te politicians, if you can get away with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

No they don't deserve a slap. But they do deserve the censure of then law - both criminal and civil.

They first deserve to be prosecute under criminal law for vandalism. They then need to appear in court in a civil actions by Microsoft and Sony suing for loss of earnings. They then need to be sued by the hundreds and thousands of folks who were denied access to these sites for "mental anguish". Perhaps a few years in the slammer followed by financial ruin will teach these prats that vandalism is vandalism, whether it is perpetrated on the internet or a number 47 bus shelter.

p.s. what I really loved was the Sky TV interview where the goon faced Finnish hacker said (I paraphrase) "it was better for kids to spend family time together on Christmas than play video games". What a very Taliban perspective.

Microsoft and Sony are cnuts too, they had it coming. They have been trying to push DRM on everyone for years

• Advertisement
Advertisement