Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookmakers Bitch/Moan/Groan thread - See mod warning Post 1!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Had a winner at 12/1.

Wrote 12/1 on the docket too.

When I went to collect the winnings they said, oh you only got 10/1. The price must have changed between you writing it down and the 5 second walk to the counter.

That's nonsense surely. Ladbrookes

Reminds me of a time over the summer during the world cup. Few lads and myself went to Manchester for a few days . went to the bookies and I went to back France -2 @ 2/1 IIRC I put on 20 pounds I think. One of the lads behind me in the queue , price dropped to 19/10 when he did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

Had a winner at 12/1.

When I went to collect the winnings they said, oh you only got 10/1. The price must have changed between you writing it down and the 5 second walk to the counter.

They have a cut off time of 30 seconds i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

did you say that you wanted to take the price?
    some of them can be c**ts about it if you dont say that and just end up with what they give you

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

Had a winner at 12/1.

you can ask for a print out of the price changes and what time and seconds they were at and then just compare with the time on your docket!!
    I spent a lot of money in the bookies down the years and i got pissed off with a pig one day, she was always short changing me in paddy powers and then i freaked out with her big time! got the print out and i was right on a certain price and she nearly died! i truly believe there is the odd one behind desks short changing people and pocket the difference!
    Anyways if you think that there is no way that this can happen,ask for that print out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Boyles offer today.
    Money Back if your darts match finishes with a bullseye.
    That's fine but the offer applies to the World Grand Prix Dublin 2014! :eek:
    Just a pity the tournament is over :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Everytime I try bet with Betbright it comes up with a price change alert even though the price is the same, then when you go again to place your bet the price has dropped 3 times out of 4. Odds seem to be lower with them

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I opened a Boylesports online account and lodged €20 to it.
    Did my first bet for €10 and lost.
    This generated a €10 free bet which I placed last night at 4/5
    The free bet won but my account now shows €18 when I had thought it would be €28.
    My question is do only get the "winnings" part of the free bet? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Yeah. That's always the case with free bets. You haven't staked anything so there is no stake to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Yeah. That's always the case with free bets. You haven't staked anything so there is no stake to get back.

Thanks.

Boyles acting the "whack" again :mad:
    Backed a horse they were enhancing today, wrote ENHANCE on the top of slip, wrote the bet out with the price and handed it in with the money.
    Cashier took the bet, put it through and handed me the slip.
    Looked at the slip and the enhanced price was scribbled out and their ordinary price was written instead.
    Just as I was about to say something, she says "oh that was an enhance" and took the slip back and circled the enhanced price and scribbled out the price she had put on it.
    I wonder if I hadn't stopped to look at it, what she would have done?
    Not the first time, Boyles have done this!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Was in one of their shops today and they put up an enhanced horse, 9/4 to 11/4.
    Went to put €200 on it, only to be told the Max stake is now €50! :eek:
    That is the new max stake on all their enhances.
    It used to be €500 so that's a massive chop.
    Applies to everybody as I checked in case it was just me.
    That was the last decent offer that they had in shop but now for €50, I won't
    be "lending" them any of my money.

I also noticed they have a new special, Money back if 2nd to the
    Racing Post pick in the dogs to a max stake of €25 as a Free Bet.
    I assume they are trying to follow Paddy Power so let's see.
    Paddy Power have a Money Back if 2nd as a Free Bet to max €50.
    So if your selection finishes 2nd with Paddy Power, you get Double the refund that Boyles are offering & there's no T&C's i.e. it applies to every race on the meeting they are doing against Boyles which has to finish 2nd to the Racing Post pick which would normally be the Fav.

Boyles, just "Not at the races" I'm afraid to say ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

Was in one of their shops today and they put up an enhanced horse, 9/4 to 11/4.
    Went to put €200 on it, only to be told the Max stake is now €50! :eek:
    That is the new max stake on all their enhances.
    It used to be €500 so that's a massive chop.
    Applies to everybody as I checked in case it was just me.
    That was the last decent offer that they had in shop but now for €50, I won't
    be "lending" them any of my money.

I also noticed they have a new special, Money back if 2nd to the
    Racing Post pick in the dogs to a max stake of €25 as a Free Bet.
    I assume they are trying to follow Paddy Power so let's see.
    Paddy Power have a Money Back if 2nd as a Free Bet to max €50.
    So if your selection finishes 2nd with Paddy Power, you get Double the refund that Boyles are offering & there's no T&C's i.e. it applies to every race on the meeting they are doing against Boyles which has to finish 2nd to the Racing Post pick which would normally be the Fav.

Boyles, just "Not at the races" I'm afraid to say ;).

AFAIK it was never 500e on an enhanced price.

They offer 500e BOG alright on any selection.

Ps, that enhanced horse was hardly Mossgo?

So you weren't exactly lending John Boyle your money. He was keeping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Boylesport's target market is the great unwashed, not the informed punter.
    ;)

day dreaming dole heads who will spend govt money on virtual ****.

Ps, that enhanced horse was hardly Mossgo?

Sure was but the only reason I was backing it was because it was 3.5 on Betfair ;)
    Didn't look great though when it drifted to 7/2 on the show :(.

Boyles were deffo €500 win (or €250 e/w) on their enhances.

Sure was but the only reason I was backing it was because it was 3.5 on Betfair ;)
    Didn't look great though when it drifted to 7/2 on the show :(.

Tumbled down the weights by, down 19lb's since last win and was def being stopped recently, the drift on the show told me all I needed to know then. One to keep on side another while till the day it's hammered in the market.

Used to be €500 all right, confirmed by a staff member.
    That's a big cut 500 down to 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Breadwoman

out of all the industry's, the staff in the bookies are the worst for simple polite manners, a simple hello, how are you? , thank you is very rare, they take the bet and that's it, I think it's got to do with they know that over 90% of the customers are degenerate gamblers and therefore have no respect for them. its so annoying though, how they get away with it, no proper training, i had a woman in a bookies a few days ago when i went up to the counter say to me, "what do you want?" never been in that bookies before, i just laughed, couldn't believe it, what's been yer experiences?

If you are known to the staff, they will be polite to you.
    If you have a bit of a talk with them, it can be very helpful when a special goes up that has a max stake on it ;).
    A lot of them are on minimum wage so wouldn't be expecting too much from them, after all it must be mind numbing work from 9am to 9.30pm on Fridays.
    That is soon to be all week Monday to Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Breadwoman wrote: »
    out of all the industry's, the staff in the bookies are the worst for simple polite manners, a simple hello, how are you? , thank you is very rare, they take the bet and that's it, I think it's got to do with they know that over 90% of the customers are degenerate gamblers and therefore have no respect for them. its so annoying though, how they get away with it, no proper training, i had a woman in a bookies a few days ago when i went up to the counter say to me, "what do you want?" never been in that bookies before, i just laughed, couldn't believe it, what's been yer experiences?

What do you expect? They're dealing with wild animals all day long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭kenmccarthy

Seriously,I just had the same thought the other day
    a small 'thank you'or 'cheers' definitely wouldn't go amiss----its like the ryanairof customer services----paddy power are the worst by far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Not a fan of the dogs but recently started backing dogs right at the off at 2/1 when PP were paying 4s if a winner.
    I won a few quid and I do not believe any bookie can pay double odds and stay ahead.
    Also pp paying double odds certain BAGS meetings if the number of the winner and the runner up add up to 7.
    I am wondering if one was to stick to bets that give an extra edge to punters would it be sufficient to make it pay?
    In a sense it would make punters bet purely on outcomes that favour them and despite the €25 stake limit it would appear to be worth investigating more.Yesterday in Newcastle trap 6 beat 1 at 7/1 and paid 14s to anyone lucky enough to be on.
    I would welcome the views of anyone that has looked at this type of punting,we all know someone in local pp shops who would place another €25 bet for us.Might take some of satisfaction away if betting to numbers but real profits would compensate.

Not a fan of the dogs but recently started backing dogs right at the off at 2/1 when PP were paying 4s if a winner.
    I won a few quid and I do not believe any bookie can pay double odds and stay ahead.
    Also pp paying double odds certain BAGS meetings if the number of the winner and the runner up add up to 7.
    I am wondering if one was to stick to bets that give an extra edge to punters would it be sufficient to make it pay?
    In a sense it would make punters bet purely on outcomes that favour them and despite the €25 stake limit it would appear to be worth investigating more.Yesterday in Newcastle trap 6 beat 1 at 7/1 and paid 14s to anyone lucky enough to be on.
    I would welcome the views of anyone that has looked at this type of punting,we all know someone in local pp shops who would place another €25 bet for us.Might take some of satisfaction away if betting to numbers but real profits would compensate.

Unless the bookie is Ivan Yates you are going to lose your b0llox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭kenmccarthy

Did anyone ever notice with that special offer of getting 4/1 if your dog wins at 2/1 AND you haven't written a price on docket
    watch how often the odds change just as bunny is on spin-either 7/4 or out to 9/4??? Call me cynical but its freaky how the odds change in last 5 second before the off!!!!!!!as last poster said.."surefire method of losing bollix"

Unless the bookie is Ivan Yates you are going to lose your b0llox.
    I think the question I raised deserves a more detailed reply,it is simply not good enough to say one is going to lose ones you know whats and leave it at that.If it is impossible to win when getting some sort of advantage then those who bet where there are no special concessions have no chance at all.

Did anyone ever notice with that special offer of getting 4/1 if your dog wins at 2/1 AND you haven't written a price on docket
    watch how often the odds change just as bunny is on spin-either 7/4 or out to 9/4??? Call me cynical but its freaky how the odds change in last 5 second before the off!!!!!!!as last poster said.."surefire method of losing bollix"
    I have not seen what you suggest occurs take place,though my sample would be quite small.The method I am talking about means putting the bet on after the bell goes.It is hard to imagine PP REPS forcing down the odds at BAGS meetings all over Britain.2/1dogs are fancied anyway and if dog punters only back 2/1 chances it does increase the chance of winning.The 1st and 2nd traps adding up to 7 can not be manipulated and just gives punters a better chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the problem with the 1st & 2nd = 7 is it could happen any time.
    with the 2/1 doubled you can pin it down to specific races.

I think the question I raised deserves a more detailed reply,it is simply not good enough to say one is going to lose ones you know whats and leave it at that.If it is impossible to win when getting some sort of advantage then those who bet where there are no special concessions have no chance at all.

Eh duh.

If a book for a particular race is moving against the bookie and a 2-1 winner with a promise to pay 4-1 isn't helping, be sure that the bookie is going do their best to shift those odds from 2-1 to 15-8 or 11-5. You will lose your boll0x big style in the long term.

• Advertisement

the problem with the 1st & 2nd = 7 is it could happen any time.
    with the 2/1 doubled you can pin it down to specific races.

You are quite right,all I am saying is that those who bet on dogs running in Britain should only bet on dog races that increase the odds of winning.The double odds and the added to 7 bets offer far better value that normal betting on dogs.

Advertisement