Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesbians make more money

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Musical Theatre not the cash cow it once was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

newport2 wrote: »
    New, for 2015, we now have The Sexual Orientation Pay Gap!!!

The Guardian columnists will be in a frenzy, with the Irish Times in hot pursuit trying to emulate them. (I'm offering odds of 1/50 that straight white men will still be to blame for this somehow)

Playing the victim here? White StraightMen really have had it hardest of all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

efb wrote: »
    Playing the victim here? White Single Men really have had it hardest of all

Where did I say that? I don't even belong to the category "White Single Men".

In the type of articles I'm referring to, the default option is usually to attribute blame to men collectively as a whole, which like I said, gets irritating after a while. Nothing to do with being a victim, wherever you got that from. It's possible to find something annoying without being a victim.

I don't think there are many that flatly blame straight White men for life's ill
    Sorry, straight not single

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

newport2 wrote: »
    Have a heart, conditions are very tough in Lezuania.
    C'mon now, there's already a joke for that.
    What do you call a woman from the island of Lesbos?
    Greek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Of the class I graduated from in secondary school, the lesbians were disproportionately represented in the debate team, chess playing, inter school quizes and competitions, anything requiring a speech or an article, and top marks in honours classes.

After school, they went on to be over-represented in post-graduate study and technical careers.

Personally, I think once you have written off being girly, you are more comfortable with being competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The lesbianians making the news again.

They come over here, take our women and our jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

They are also quite partial to strap ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

As long as they go on to actually ask why, rather than instantly shout discrimination.

I'm a firm believer that pay gaps exist for reasons other than discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

No just people who bemoan the loss of advantage for the sake of equality.

I'm quite fond of men.

The problem with this attitude being that the average straight white man isn't really at an advantage, rather there is an elite portion of society composed largely of straight white man. This reflects on the average straight white man in largely the same way that the wealth of Aengus Mac Grianna or Elton John reflects on that of the average gay man: i.e not at all.

• Advertisement

The problem with this attitude being that the average straight white man isn't really at an advantage, rather there is an elite portion of society composed largely of straight white man. This reflects on the average straight white man in largely the same way that the wealth of Aengus Mac Grianna or Elton John reflects on that of the average gay man: i.e not at all.

The average straight White man has it better than all other groups though not just the elite

The average straight White man has it better than all other groups though not just the elite

Source?

Source?

Let me get back to you on that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

As an average straight White man I wish I knew what I did wrong not to have it better than all other groups so.

Let me get back to you on that

Well, you were very quick to (correctly) call out someone for using a select few gay people as representative of gay people as a whole. Yet you're now using the wealthy elite as representative of straight white men as a whole. It just seems like a double standard.

Swinglong wrote: »
    In what way? I'd argue men in general are worse off in most first work countries.

I think that's swinging the argument a bit too far the other way to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The LPGA Tour probably skewers the figures :D

Behind every minority success story, there's a straight white male to say how unfair it is.

Behind every minority success story, there's a straight white male to say how unfair it is.

The cynic in me would suspect that rather than being in a success story this study is just cherry picked data used to say 'Ha! See! No discrimination. Move along lads, nothing to see here'.

The cynic in me would suspect that rather than being in a success story this study is just cherry picked data used to say 'Ha! See! No discrimination. Move along lads, nothing to see here'.

I dunno, all the lesbians in my life are very driven people. Also, if it is cherry picked, I would be inclined to think it was to make a feel good minority story, rather than to prove there is no discrimination.

• Advertisement

I dunno, all the lesbians in my life are very driven people. Also, if it is cherry picked, I would be inclined to think it was to make a feel good minority story, rather than to prove there is no discrimination.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to imply that it's unlikely that Lesbians earn more money or anything of the sort. You could be right about the feel good story, but there's certainly a potential for misuse there as well.

And to be fair, the lesbians (such as I thought I was at the time...) were also over represented in doing a pointless degree, drug use, being in a band, being in a fight, getting tattooed and pierced, and working in the red light district. So your mileage may vary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Source?
    The Leftist "liberal" Big Bumper Book of Specious Nonsense.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

And to be fair, the lesbians (such as I thought I was at the time...) were also over represented in doing a pointless degree, drug use, being in a band, being in a fight, getting tattooed and pierced, and working in the red light district. So your mileage may vary.

It's almost as if people can occupy a wide range of positions in society regardless of their sexuality. Who woulda thunk it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Is a middle class, financially "successful" lesbian more likely to come out, than a poorer lesbian?

If so, that lead to a misleading finding of a pay-gap.

It's almost as if people can occupy a wide range of positions in society regardless of their sexuality. Who woulda thunk it? :pac:

Eh, yeah, we're getting there.

I wanted to be a teacher when I was younger, at 15 I realised that wasn't going to happen in the country that I lived in, because you could still fire a teacher for being gay as long as you had a catholic ethos. And besides that, even if it wasn't legal, it was clear to me it would have caused issues.

I saw appalling, if unintentional, treatment of these girls while in school. Just because things have improved, doesn't mean they are good yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

As much as that sounds like crazy talk, it does appear to be the case. I suggest some sort of RFID tagging system to make wild generalisations, foaming-at-the-mouth Daily Mail-esque fearmongering and all kinds of general-purpose "isms" a lot easier for the rest of us stolid, decent folk who could be innocently encountering lesbians every day and would have absolutely no idea they were foreign.

Well, you were very quick to (correctly) call out someone for using a select few gay people as representative of gay people as a whole. Yet you're now using the wealthy elite as representative of straight white men as a whole. It just seems like a double standard.

I said average looking at socioeconomic groupings.

Like I have no issue with the ban on MSM blood donation even thought my blood is 100% ok

iDave wrote: »
    As an average straight White man I wish I knew what I did wrong not to have it better than all other groups so.

You below the curve. I'm apparently above the curve which shocked me, but I am single

• Advertisement

Eh, yeah, we're getting there.

I wanted to be a teacher when I was younger, at 15 I realised that wasn't going to happen in the country that I lived in, because you could still fire a teacher for being gay as long as you had a catholic ethos. And besides that, even if it wasn't legal, it was clear to me it would have caused issues.

I saw appalling, if unintentional, treatment of these girls while in school. Just because things have improved, doesn't mean they are good yet.

Probably should have been clearer in my post, when I said 'can' I meant more 'have the potential to'. I realise discriminatory behaviour still gets in the way in the real world.

Advertisement