Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesbians make more money

Options
  • 19-12-2014 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭

Than straight women

So says a study commissioned by the World bank
    In Britain, lesbians are paid an average of eight per cent more than straight women, with the trend even more extreme in other western countries. In the US, the difference is 20 per cent.

But gay men make less than straight men
    Conversely gay men face a pay penalty, earning five per cent less than heterosexual men in the UK - rising to nine per cent in Germany and 12 per cent in Canada.

Without delving deeper into the data in detail it's hard to tell if it's actually correct though. Do average straight women who choose to focus on career and not family still earn less than average lesbian women who do the same?

It's already the case in Ireland that women who don't have kids earn 17%* more than than their male counterparts, does this leave lesbians at the top of the pile ;)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11376779

* - Wibbs has helpfully provided this elsewhere: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93467965&postcount=1854

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Does that mean theres a lesbianarchy which is discriminating against us non lesbians? I demand quotas!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wait until next year when the marriage equality referendum is passed. Only a matter of time before these minted lesbians lose it all in maintenance payments once gay divorce kicks in.

Full equality! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Its weird that Germany and Canada have a higher pay gap for Gay men than the UK, wonder what the reasoning is I can't see it being that there is increased prejudice compared too Britain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

So, lesbians make more money and gay men make less? I'm off to mock and laugh at Elton John and Gok Wan - hah! Losers...

A teensy, brief idea about the strength of the pink pound makes me go "Hmm, statistics - a great bunch of lads.."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

New, for 2015, we now have The Sexual Orientation Pay Gap!!!

The Guardian columnists will be in a frenzy, with the Irish Times in hot pursuit trying to emulate them. (I'm offering odds of 1/50 that straight white men will still be to blame for this somehow)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Lesbians need to earn more money because of their lavish lifestyles.
    From what I've heard, they like to eat out very often...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I'm off to be a lesbian so.

Swissalps wrote: »
    Why are you assuming it'a prejudice that causes the pay gap?

It could be increased competitiveness amongst certain sections of society, which could be caused by hormones which could be correlated to gender and sexuality.

I'm not assuming its prejudice in fact I'm considering that prejudice might not be the main driver as there is significant differences in the gap between 3 fairly tolerant societies but I'm curious about the cultural reasons why? If its a biological or deeper social cause shouldn't we expect the same rate between countries that are broadly similar like the UK and Canada?

Edit: And don't gay men have more testosterone rather than less anyway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

newport2 wrote: »
    New, for 2015, we now have The Sexual Orientation Pay Gap!!!

The Guardian columnists will be in a frenzy, with the Irish Times in hot pursuit trying to emulate them. (I'm offering odds of 1/50 that straight white men will still be to blame for this somehow)

It's tough isn't it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

efb wrote: »
    It's tough isn't it

Its pure bull, that's what it is. I can guarantee you Aonghus McGrianna makes more than me, and Martina Navratolova made more than myself and my missus will earn in our whole lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

So are lesbians . Tighter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well they don't get preggers so that means they're more productive in the workplace

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Like everyone else with no kids they just have more time for work and career. They don't get the tax breaks or allowances though... tax home could be much less than someone with kids.

newmug wrote: »
    Its pure bull, that's what it is. I can guarantee you Aonghus McGrianna makes more than me, and Martina Navratolova made more than myself and my missus will earn in our whole lives.

Well that's very accurate sampling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

fryup wrote: »
    well they don't get preggers so that means they're more productive in the workplace

Not quite true but they are probably less likely to be raising children than a woman in a "straight" relationship. Which does have an impact on what you are paid. I wonder if they, if childless, made more than other childless women tho, that would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Like everyone else with no kids they just have more time for work and career. They don't get the tax breaks or allowances though... tax home could be much less than someone with kids.

There are lots of lesbians that have kids though.

Would be interesting to compare the salaries of lesbian mothers compared to lesbians without families to see if there's any huge difference there.

Dan_Solo wrote: »

People in CP have the same tax rights as married couples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Not quite true but they are probably less likely to be raising children than a woman in a "straight" relationship. Which does have an impact on what you are paid. I wonder if they, if childless, made more than other childless women tho, that would be interesting.

Great minds, etc...!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Its weird that Germany and Canada have a higher pay gap for Gay men than the UK, wonder what the reasoning is I can't see it being that there is increased prejudice compared too Britain?

Carrer path and choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Surprised gay men earn less. A gay friend once told me the 'professions' like law that are well paid are full of gay men because they don't have families and just focus on their careers more.

• Advertisement

It's tough isn't it

No, just irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

iDave wrote: »
    Surprised gay men earn less. A gay friend once told me the 'professions' like law that are well paid are full of gay men because they don't have families and just focus on their careers more.

But there's s huge percentage in the arts and retail that drag down the average

There are lots of lesbians that have kids though.
    Maybe there are.
    By percentage of self-identifying lesbians I would still insist it's an insignificance.

Well that's exactly it isn't it? I'd contest this has nothing at all to do with sexual orientation and everything to do with available time for study and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Feckin lezzers, comin over here .. steelin our jabs and our wimmins.

Feckin lezzers, comin over here .. steelin our jabs and our wimmins.

Have a heart, conditions are very tough in Lezuania.

newport2 wrote: »
    No, just irritating.

Not having as much as an advantage as you used to?

For a gay man you seem to have a remarkable downer on men :confused:

Efb, I find articles based on limited research such as "Lesbians earn more than straight women" irritating, because they are rarely based on any facts or proper research and usually based on loaded questions and cherry picking facts. Nothing at all to do with whether I have an advantage or not, seeing as I'm not a lesbian or a woman. But twist what I say into what you want it to mean.

Happy Xmas.

• Advertisement

For a gay man you seem to have a remarkable downer on men :confused:

No just people who bemoan the loss of advantage for the sake of equality.

I'm quite fond of men.

Advertisement