Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking while a child is in the car is about to become illegal

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

And besides Judge it wasnt a smoke it was one of those ecigarettes.

Tenner bets gob****es in FG havent thought of that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is that a law? the only law I've heard of is that it's illegal to sell cigarettes to children. I see young kids smoking everyday in plain sight after school and the guards have never said anything to them.
    Not sure. Is it not like the drinking laws where it's illegal to sell to or provide to under 18's? I've never seen a cop confiscate a pack of smokes though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I'd also like to see the age to buy fags raised from 18 to 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd also like to see the age to buy fags raised from 18 to 21.
    That'd would be daft. Increasing the age limit doesn't decrease the problem. Look at other European countries where it's 16 to smoke and drink, or 14 to drive a motorbike up to 50cc. They give their youth some responsibility and they appreciate it and don't abuse it. In Ireland if someone says no, it makes people want it more. Just look at queues outside any off licence on holy Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

a waste of time money and resources. we can't afford such a law

Sure it'll cost nothing to not enforce it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

syklops wrote: »
    Shame its almost impossible to enforce.

Especially with the Gardai, who are beyond useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I wonder how many people in this thread have posted a comment in the OP's link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Where is the law against the smoke coming from my young lads diaper as I drive along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Great news. Forcing a child to inhale your second hand smoke is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How do they plan on enforcing this in any sort of effective way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Reasonable suspicion, smell of smoke in the car; on the spot fine or else a day in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Probably the same as use of phone, if a Garda sees you doing it and could be bothered to pull you up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Reasonable suspicion, smell of smoke in the car; on the spot fine or else a day in court.

Doubt that very much tbh. If you're a smoker you're gonna smell of smoke whether you've been smoking in the car or outside of it.
    Probably the same as use of phone, if a Garda sees you doing it and could be bothered to pull you up on it.

Well this is it, can anyone honestly envisage gardai being bothered? They have enough to be at already without being on the lookout for people smoking in cars and then having to ascertain whether there's a child in the car or not!

Maybe making it law will put people off smoking in the car with kids but in reality it's totally unenforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They plan on turning peoples children into informants. Turning son against father, it'll be like the civil war all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Well this is it, can anyone honestly envisage gardai being bothered? They have enough to be at already without being on the lookout for people smoking in cars and then having to ascertain whether there's a child in the car or not!

Maybe making it law will put people off smoking in the car with kids but in reality it's totally unenforceable.

Well, you could say the same about seat belt wearing or restraining children in a safe manner. The message eventually got through.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

there's no difference if the parent/s smoke in their own house that they paid for, than smoking in the car! The child is still "exposed" to it, so doesn't make sense TBH!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

SMJSF wrote: »
    there's no difference if the parent/s smoke in their own house that they paid for, than smoking in the car! The child is still "exposed" to it, so doesn't make sense TBH!

Cars have much poorer ventilation and are a smaller space than a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 daukey34

gud

GarIT wrote: »
    Cars have much poorer ventilation and are a smaller space than a house.
    Unless the window is open a little. Smoking with the window open just a crack literally sucks the smoke out of the car if the fag is in the hand next to the window. With the air on in the car I would guess you can pressurise the car so that air is pushed in through the vents and then out through the cracked window beside the cigarette. In a house the smoke just stagnates because there's little to no airflow in a modern house.

Unless the window is open a little. Smoking with the window open just a crack literally sucks the smoke out of the car if the fag is in the hand next to the window. With the air on in the car I would guess you can pressurise the car so that air is pushed in through the vents and then out through the cracked window beside the cigarette. In a house the smoke just stagnates because there's little to no airflow in a modern house.

True, but as hard as no smoking in a car with a child present is to legislate for, no smoking in a car with a child unless the window is open would be even more difficult.

Smoke doesn't stay in a cluster either, it disperses, the volume of an average room is much bigger than the volume of a car. Even a 6ft x 6ft box room has about 7-10 times more air than a car, so the intensity if the second hand smoke would be 90% less.

If we could legislate for houses with children we probably would too.

• Advertisement

True, but as hard as no smoking in a car with a child present is to legislate for, no smoking in a car with a child unless the window is open would be even more difficult.
    I have no problem with the law, I think it's a bit pointless, more of FG pandering to the mob but it's not going to put me out in the slightest, I can hold on for the hour or two journey I rarely take with children in the car.

But the fact remains of all the enclosed spaces we could be smoking in, the car is probably one of the better ones for keeping the air fresh in the space.

But the fact remains of all the enclosed spaces we could be smoking in, the car is probably one of the better ones for keeping the air fresh in the space.

As you have said yourself, if it is ventilated, otherwise it is by far the worst. Cars are designed to keep as much air from escaping/entering as possible unless the occupants want it ventilated.

Will the law be useful, yes in limited cases, but it is better than not having it.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

syklops wrote: »
    Shame its almost impossible to enforce.

Unfortunately yes, I have to agree.

As you have said yourself, if it is ventilated, otherwise it is by far the worst. Cars are designed to keep as much air from escaping/entering as possible unless the occupants want it ventilated.
    Who wouldn't crack a window though? The car would fill up fast if ventilation is off and the windows are closed that's true. You would have difficulty driving the car smoking with no ventilation.

I suppose it's a bit of an irrelevant point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

I believe all smoking while driving should be banned,with or without children.It amounts to nothing more than dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

''Children's minister James Reilly said: "This legislation is a reminder to people not to light up in a car with children present.''

So the government are stopping people from smoking while a child is present to remind them?

Remind them of what? Smoking harms kids? Yeh we know.

If I'm smoking in a car I'll roll down the window. I don't have kids so this doesn't really effect me, but I don't think I should be told not to it. If all the doors are closed in a small room and a family are smoking and a baby is present how is that any different?

It's the start of banning smoking altogether....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

fran17 wrote: »
    I believe all smoking while driving should be banned,with or without children.It amounts to nothing more than dangerous driving.

It's not just for drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My Dad only ever smoked when he was driving with us kids on board, to get the smell of propcorn out of the car at harvest time! :P

Great move, hope it's better enforced than the mobile phone and seatbelt laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

c_man wrote: »

Thats the funniest thing I've seen in years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

I'm a smoker. I'm a single guy and I don't have kids.

But I don't smoke around people who don't want to be inhaling my second hand smoke. I smoke in designated smoking areas or in my back garden. I don't smoke in my car anyway, because I don't want my car to smell like an ashtray with wheels.

This is a good law, grounded in common sense and is for the protection of children. And this is coming from a guy who smokes like a chimney.

Advertisement