Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking while a child is in the car is about to become illegal

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

will someone think of the childer begorra begosh. spend the limited money we have on laws involving real criminals. a small little country which has limited funds can't afford to be wasting time money and resources on such laws. i'm a non smoker, i've been in a car with someone smoking many times, you wouldn't even notice once the window is put down. you wouldn't even notice in the back of the car where children usually are.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Good. I'm a smoker and I'm all for it personally. Thats why pubs and what not have smoking areas surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Macker2001

Terrific news. I was looking at a lady smoking away in a car the other day while two babies sitting in car seats in the back. I really was surprised just thought with the knowledge out there people would refrain from smoking around children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

ScumLord wrote: »
    They plan on turning peoples children into informants. Turning son against father, it'll be like the civil war all over again.

Great way of turning the screw on parents for gain, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

will someone think of the childer begorra begosh. spend the limited money we have on laws involving real criminals. a small little country which has limited funds can't afford to be wasting time money and resources on such laws. i'm a non smoker, i've been in a car with someone smoking many times, you wouldn't even notice once the window is put down. you wouldn't even notice in the back of the car where children usually are.
    Children are more susceptible to second hand smoke than adults as they breath faster.

What extra resources do you think the enforcement of this law is going to take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Good. About time.

We've protected those in the workplace from smoke for years now, but not children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Smoking on the front of the bus.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Good. About time.

We've protected those in the workplace from smoke for years now, but not children.
    +1

I'd like to see it made illegal inside houses where kids are present too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    +1

I'd like to see it made illegal inside houses where kids are present too.

And how would you suggest such a thing is enforced?

More kids are at risk from obesity related illness than second hand smoke related illness. Should feeding them fast / unhealthy foods also be made illegal?

We can have Gardai check the shopping lists and fridges of families to determine if parents are endangering their health :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

seamus wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dail-passes-bill-banning-smoking-in-cars-with-children-present-655123.html

The law is there now, it just has to be brought into force.

Personally think it's a great idea, but I know there'll be plenty of people whinging on about rights and freedoms and a nanny-state.
    And political correctness gone mad, since public health initiative = political correctness. Obviously.
    Apparently talking on mobiles while driving is also illegal. We should just keep making stuff illegal and never doing anything whatsoever to enforce it. Tis a great plan that seems to be working well.
    Random checks I guess. I've been fined for having the phone in my hand while sitting in traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Maybe making it law will put people off smoking in the car with kids but in reality it's totally unenforceable.

It's kinda sad to think that there are parents out there who would fear an €80 fine more than they would fear giving their kid lung cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Ducking will now be the new game for kids to play in the car on the school runs....invented by some parents!

From people being reported generally.
    More kids are at risk from obesity related illness than second hand smoke related illness. Should feeding them fast / unhealthy foods also be made illegal?
    That's another issue, this thread is about smoking.

Grew up myself while both my parents puffed away during car journeys in the 90's and 00's, sometimes they opened the window sometimes they didn't using the cold as an excuse. Was sickening the smell but I got over it...

Really don't know if it did me any harm, I've been in rooms with them smoking for all my 26 years so being in a car with them doesn't make any difference if you have to live with them! But that's just me.

I approve of the law in a way but I can't see them really enforcing it, sure they can't even enforce the driving with a phone in hand law, I see f**kers everywhere texting while driving, it's a serious peeve of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

We can have Gardai check the shopping lists and fridges of families to determine if parents are endangering their health :rolleyes:

EU is protecting the obese

The court said that if obesity could hinder "full and effective participation" at work then it could count as a disability.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-30529791

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Maybe making it law will put people off smoking in the car with kids but in reality it's totally unenforceable.
    I am not sure where you are going with this unenforeable issue? Do you think the law should be scrapped since you think its "totally unenforceable"?

Loads laughed and said the workplace smoking ban would be unenforecable but there was massive compliance. You admit it will put people off smoking in cars so accepting it will have some effect. I see far less people on phones in cars too.
    fran17 wrote: »
    I believe all smoking while driving should be banned,with or without children.It amounts to nothing more than dangerous driving.
    Its crazy when you fundamentally think about it. Imagine if smoking had never been a tradition. And suddenly people began driving about with lit cigarettes the media truthfully saying people are out there igniting these things which are not only a highly addictive psychoactive substance but there is the potential for ash to be falling or a lit cigaretted falling in your lap or lodged in your shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Finton90

This country has turned into a pathetic nanny state.

no smoking in peoples PRIVATE cars now.
    no smoking in pubs
    cant buy alcohol after 10pm
    close pubs at 12
    greyhound and horse sports are apparently barbaric

hobbies that are acceptable
    going for a run in you fancy new lycra gear
    going for coffee and talking ****e like your a character out of friends

i have had friends over from abroad and they couldnt believe how boring dublin was.

most people in their 20s/30s just live their lives like they are characters out of a US sitcom.

live in the apartment
    work in the office
    drink coffee
    and jog in fancy gear.

Modern Dublin is so fake and culturless and has just adopted every trend that appears in mainstream media about what the "modern young professional should be"

arseholes with beards, manbags and a takeaway coffee held so far out in front of them that it is basically a fashion accessory rather than a drink. Not in the slighest bit original just copying New York and London

ps- they had fun in the rest of the country outside of dublin where people are still actually alive

Finton90 wrote: »

no smoking in pubs
    cant buy alcohol after 10pm
    close pubs at 12
    greyhound and horse sports are apparently barbaric

hobbies that are acceptable
    going for a run in you fancy new lycra gear
    going for coffee and talking ****e like your a character out of friends

i have had friends over from abroad and they couldnt believe how boring dublin was.

most people in their 20s/30s just live their lives like they are characters out of a US sitcom.

live in the apartment
    work in the office
    drink coffee
    and jog in fancy gear.

Modern Dublin is so fake and culturless and has just adopted every trend that appears in mainstream media about what the "modern young professional should be"

arseholes with beards, manbags and a takeaway coffee held so far out in front of them that it is basically a fashion accessory rather than a drink. Not in the slighest bit original just copying New York and London

ps- they had fun in the rest of the country outside of dublin where people are still actually alive

Dublin has turned into yuppie central, see all the less well off tenants getting priced out of their apartments? making way for the boring yuppies. Total gentrified county it's turning into.

Love the arseholes with beards onwards bit you wrote, perfect description of what I see Dublin as when I'm up there for visits! That bit made me laugh like hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Bit of legal advice needed here so, if me kids want a crafty tab while I'm driving, and a shade stops me, do I have to stitch them in to save myself? Or should I take the fall for them? Is smoking in the car the same as the belts - under 18, it's the drivers fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭pah

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Especially with the Gardai, who are beyond useless.

As useless as the parents who are so ignorant that they need somebody else to legislate in order for their children to be protected?

I'd enforce this all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

It's not just smoking in cars while there's children present that's dangerous to their health
    It's smoking in the car at all.
    Fabrics in the car soak up a lot of the toxins in cigarettes and release them once saturated. Slowly, constantly, regardless of who's sitting there.
    Don't mind the odd cheeky fag, or having the window open...you're poisoning your children. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

It's not just smoking in cars while there's children present that's dangerous to their health
    It's smoking in the car at all.
    Fabrics in the car soak up a lot of the toxins in cigarettes and release them once saturated. Slowly, constantly, regardless of who's sitting there.
    Don't mind the odd cheeky fag, or having the window open...you're poisoning your children. Simple as that.

You think the same parents don't smoke in the house ? And car emissions are slowly poisoning your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

You think the same parents don't smoke in the house ? And car emissions are slowly poisoning your child.

I know a lot of parents who don't smoke in the house and wouldn't smoke with a child in the car, but smoke when the child is not there, in the belief it's safe.
    Car emissions are a whole other argument, but I wouldn't disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Finton90 wrote: »

Good point. You should be allowed abuse children on private property.

exactly. all this is a load of old nonsense to appease the anti-smoking extremists, self righteous types and such a policy will get likes on facebook.

Good point. You should be allowed abuse children on private property.
    they are all ready smoking anyway, they start young these days and its younger they are getting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Is this now a law & if so how can i report people smoking in a car with a child.

I witnessed this yesterday and it was disgusting, a poor little girl (about 3 or 4) being put into her booster chair to protect her in case of a car crash!
    then BOTH the parents sit into the front and each of them light up a cigarette and drive away. They never even opened the windows.

I was so frustrated - they were in traffic so I couldn't get to them

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since 1st of January 2016

This will be enforced by gardaí and carries a fixed penalty of €100.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1217/754651-smoking-cars/

Advertisement