Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children sitting on Santa's knee....yay or nay?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

anncoates wrote: »
    Or hysterical, by the sounds of things.

As a mother, I don't find it very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

We really are at this stage in society now.

Earlier in the year I was collecting my sister from primary school, I was about five minutes early, so I was just standing there playing a game on my phone when I realise im starting to get the evil eyes from a few mothers around. My sister runs out and gives me a hug and wants me to hold her hand because she doesn't like crossing the road when an inquisition arrives and starts bombarding me with questions "who are you to this child?" "why are you collecting her?" etc, trying to take her away to talk to her on her own. I was livid.

A woman doing the same thing. No problem at all.

This whole paranoia is completely fuelled by trashy morning TV and sensational tabloid articles. Sure, some strangers can be a threat, but the vast majority of abuse suffered by Children is committed by those close to them, such as Family members and relations - Not at the hands of strangers.

I just steer clear of kids completely if I can. I don't need to be made feel like a creep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

No. Don't sit on strangers' knees. Kinda like "don't talk to strangers" but more important.

...Actually scratch that. If someone wants you to sit on their knee, keep yelling "don't touch me" and immediately tell parents.

Nothing to do with suspecting anyone in particular of being a fiddler. Just about giving kids attitudes that make them less vulnerable.

Yes every male is a pedo.. I was in town and witnessed a kid (4-5 years old) running down Dawson Street alone. I am trained on how to deal with lost kids but myself and everyone else watched the kid go.

To scared to step in.. Had a lost kid at work and first thing mummy asked was "did anyone touch you".. Thats why we request cctv asap. To protect us from false claims.

As some has said, kids are more likely going to be harmed by someone that they trust. Not some ramdom stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

dubscottie wrote: »
    Yes every male is a pedo.. I was in town and witnessed a kid (4-5 years old) running down Dawson Street alone. I am trained on how to deal with lost kids but myself and everyone else watched the kid go.

To scared to step in.. Had a lost kid at work and first thing mummy asked was "did anyone touch you".. Thats why we request cctv asap. To protect us from false claims.

As some has said, kids are more likely going to be harmed by someone that they trust. Not some ramdom stranger.

I know it's the Daily Mail, but this article speaks volumes: http://goo.gl/s6aJw4

I would probably have been one of the people to walk by. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Earlier in the year I was collecting my sister from primary school [...] My sister runs out and gives me a hug and wants me to hold her hand because she doesn't like crossing the road

So you're saying a load of women who witnessed a child running up to give you a hug and clutching for your hand as you were about to cross the road took it upon themselves to run after you to ask questions?
    when an inquisition arrives and starts bombarding me with questions "who are you to this child?" "why are you collecting her?" etc, trying to take her away to talk to her on her own.

Amazing that your Sister didn't say 'that's my Brother' after this gaggle of mad biddies ran after you after witnessing her being very happy to see you. I don't believe you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

I know it's the Daily Mail, but this article speaks volumes: http://goo.gl/s6aJw4

I would probably have been one of the people to walk by. . .

I was with another male friend (who is also Garda vetted) and even when I said get a female member of the public to stay till the garda arrive, we both agreed it would be too much hassle as there would be one woman that would start shouting about abduction etc..

Kids are going to go missing cause people (male and female) will be too **** scared to do anything..

We should be teaching kids to go to a adult (security, shop staff, Garda,steward etc)

But most kids seem too frightened to do so due to being taught some crap by paranoid mothers..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I can honestly picture the future being similar to a world like 'Equilibrium' except at the hands of the easily offended PC public rather than an overpowering government. Holy fuk, it's getting to the point where I'd almost support the establishment of some form of separate societies for the little whimps in society who take offense and find problems in literally everything. Let them live in their own secluded utopia or something

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I was going to vote no. Then I read the thread title again. Silly me. Santa. Not Satan.

Makes more sense now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

as long as he is not a priest as well

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭DukeOfTheSharp

Loving the 'PC culture gone mad' attitude when children can't play in their front yard without being taken away and raped by pedophiles living just down the road from them. Or the fact that sex offenders could (I don't know if it's the same now) make up an address for where they could be found, with some gems being 'a tent by the leisure centre' or 'the woods'.
    Let's not forget that the Catholic Church got away with hundreds of thousands of cases of pedophilia, children were ignored, offending priests moved around to get a bigger platter of children. Children are statistically more likely to be molested by a family member or someone they know and trust, but by god, you can never, ever be to careful and while as a man it may negatively impact me, I understand that it's for the good of the child, I'm not selfish enough to believe my ego is more important than a child's potential safety. Quite frankly I'd rather people be over-alert than ignore the issue, even if it inconveniences people at times. Like really, not sitting on Santa's knee isn't a huge deal, I didn't like sitting on anyone's knee when I was a kid, it's really, really not a big deal. Let's also remember that 'tradition' means nothing, 'tradition' hurts children, we can't afford that anymore.

And here's a great idea for men who could potentially be placed in a situation where allegations could potentially be brought against them: don't get bent out of shape, don't get indignant, do what I'd do in that situation; ask someone, perhaps a passerby who's a woman, to help you. Problem solved. Failing that, call in local law enforcement, don't touch the child, just speak to them, don't try to comfort them, that's not your job. At the end of the day, you feeling victimised isn't remotely important next to the fact that children can, have and will be victimised by pedophiles. Despite what you, personally, think or feel, the logic stands up to scrutiny: protection for children is paramount, however imperfect the system is, it's for the good of the child. There'll be growing pains, but that's par for the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

“Surely it’s better to teach children to recognise and report inappropriate behaviour if it occurs than to issue a needlessly draconian blanket ban on any human contact — just in case.”

Your man says it better than anyone else can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

PC is gone a bit mad, however it's also possible that Christmas time is really all their Christmases come at once for actual pedophiles, when else could they get parents voluntarily handing over their children and even paying for the privilege! There's a big onus on event organisers to fully vet "Santa's" and monitor their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Garda clearance ensures nobody with a conviction for sexual offences gets to work with children. That's a good thing.

That's a good thing.

In theory it's great, in practice it's why fewer and fewer people (men in particular) are volunteering for any kind of community orientated clubs / sports managers / scout leaders...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Seriously close this ****ing thread. What a thing to ask.

You don't have to read the thread if it offends you that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Loving the 'PC culture gone mad' attitude when children can't play in their front yard without being taken away and raped by pedophiles living just down the road from them. Or the fact that sex offenders could (I don't know if it's the same now) make up an address for where they could be found, with some gems being 'a tent by the leisure centre' or 'the woods'.
    Let's not forget that the Catholic Church got away with hundreds of thousands of cases of pedophilia, children were ignored, offending priests moved around to get a bigger platter of children. Children are statistically more likely to be molested by a family member or someone they know and trust, but by god, you can never, ever be to careful and while as a man it may negatively impact me, I understand that it's for the good of the child, I'm not selfish enough to believe my ego is more important than a child's potential safety. Quite frankly I'd rather people be over-alert than ignore the issue, even if it inconveniences people at times. Like really, not sitting on Santa's knee isn't a huge deal, I didn't like sitting on anyone's knee when I was a kid, it's really, really not a big deal. Let's also remember that 'tradition' means nothing, 'tradition' hurts children, we can't afford that anymore.

And here's a great idea for men who could potentially be placed in a situation where allegations could potentially be brought against them: don't get bent out of shape, don't get indignant, do what I'd do in that situation; ask someone, perhaps a passerby who's a woman, to help you. Problem solved. Failing that, call in local law enforcement, don't touch the child, just speak to them, don't try to comfort them, that's not your job. At the end of the day, you feeling victimised isn't remotely important next to the fact that children can, have and will be victimised by pedophiles. Despite what you, personally, think or feel, the logic stands up to scrutiny: protection for children is paramount, however imperfect the system is, it's for the good of the child. There'll be growing pains, but that's par for the course.

Oh but it is just as important.

The fact that in this day and age men can't even breath near children for fear of being labeled pedophiles is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

I'm all for protecting children but not to the point where we start demonizing the male population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I find it a bit strange tbh. I would not say Id be suspicious of the Santa but it's the opposite of what people normally encourage. As someone else has said, the kids are often upset by it and it looks like its more for their parents sake. Why not go up and give Santa an elaborate series of fist-bumps or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

They'll be bemoaning the tradition of leaving out a mince pie and glass of milk for Santa, and a carrot for Rudolph, next as it encourages unhealthy eating or something.

PC gone mad Joe.

If I was Santa and waiting for me on the mantlepeice was a glass of soya and a gluten free, sugar free biscuit..... I'd 'effin trash their gaff and take a dump in the fireplace on my way back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I saw Santa empty his sack.

I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus....I still get the flashbacks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Karl Stein wrote: »
    So you're saying a load of women who witnessed a child running up to give you a hug and clutching for your hand as you were about to cross the road took it upon themselves to run after you to ask questions?

Isn't that what he said? I don't know why you are paraphrasing a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Have you ever actually heard of a Santa at a store inappropriately touch a child while they were on their knee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

ALiasEX wrote: »
    Have you ever actually heard of a Santa at a store inappropriately touch a child while they were on their knee?

I haven't but why let that spoil the hysteria? When is 'Santa' ever left alone with children, usually there's a bunch of elves, parents, a photographer and loads of other kids in a queue. The kid sits on santa's lap for about 30 seconds. What is supposed to happen to the kid in those circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Santa has his magical ways.

I tell you I wanted to throw santas elf on my knee when I brought the kids last week.
    Santas helpers are getting sexier every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭me0w

It would be the perfect job for a pedophile though....

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭DukeOfTheSharp

Oh but it is just as important.

The fact that in this day and age men can't even breath near children for fear of being labeled pedophiles is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

I'm all for protecting children but not to the point where we start demonizing the male population.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true, and if people here are going to talk about any kind of culture 'gone mad', it's the this 'male population' people are referring to that seem to be 'demonized' when it comes to being near children. I'm a man, and I don't feel hard done by. I know plenty of other men who'd help out a lost child, and have the self-confidence, if challenged, to say 'well if you're so concerned, come with me and we'll all help'. It's the reactionary problem of people unwilling to set egos aside that caused children to be placed in vulnerable positions to begin with, and even now, those same egos are causing defensiveness in the face of an atmosphere that proves me need more child protection. Or are we so quick to forget Jimmy Savile was a children's entertainer, and an alleged, prolific sex offender?
    ALiasEX wrote: »

Have you ever heard of a prolific pedophile touching any child in plain site? Have you ever heard of predatory pedophiles, who bide their time, groom the child and then begin assaulting them? The kind of pedophiles who look and act like everyday, normal people, being coaches for sports teams, or helping out at the local school, they might even get to dress up as Santa and see a whole bevy of children they can then pick from. You want to reduce this down to one thing, it's not about that, and until we stop reducing the topic down to a single instance, instead of looking at the bigger, much more frightening picture, a conversation like this won't go anywhere. Ignorance is bliss and reduction of reasoning is easier than accepting that the world does need changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

This reminds me of the time when I was walking though the Blanchardstown Centre, there was this little kid crying for his/her mommy. I felt awfully sorry for the poor kid. However, the first thing that sprang to my mind was to ask the nearest women to bring the child to the information desk.

As much as I wanted to do that myself, as a man I would not put myself in that situation. Can you imagine if I took that child by the hand to led her to the information desk and the mother sees me or it is seen on CCTV. All sorts of assumptions and/or accusations could be made.

Ironically, the nearest female could very well have been a pedo or abuser of some description. However, society today leads us to believe that only men behave in that manner. Sad times.

py2006 wrote: »

Ironically, the nearest female could very well have been a pedo or abuser of some description. However, society today leads us to believe that only men behave in that manner. Sad times.
    ]

Sad truth but most child abusers are male, some females, but usually because a male is involved and she is doing it to keep him around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

me0w wrote: »
    ]

Sad truth but most child abusers are male, some females, but usually because a male is involved and she is doing it to keep him around.

I really don't know what to say to that. Best of luck to ya anyway.

py2006 wrote: »
    I really don't know what to say that. Best of luck to ya anyway.

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Tabnabs wrote: »
    If Bad Santa has taught us anything, keep small children at arms length and never on your knee...
    mad muffin wrote: »
    Exactly. I don't want my child sitting on no hobo rent a santa's knee.

God knows what kind of filthy peado this hobo is! :mad:

Bad Santa was more interested in the women in the Big and Tall department than the kiddies

Advertisement