Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children sitting on Santa's knee....yay or nay?

Options
  • 17-12-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the Christmas forum....just curious as to people's opinions here!
    I came across a post on Facebook today about a mother who took her child to visit Santa and was shocked to be told that he could only stand beside or sit next to Santa not on his knee because 'You can never be too careful'.

There are calls in Australia at the moment for the practice to be banned altogether.

What are my fellow boardsie's opinions on the matter?

Personally I see no problem with it whatsoever. It's a lovely tradition for children imo and I can't see the good in teaching them it's not safe to sit on Santa's knee.

I can't understand why it's so hard for people to accept that their children are statistically more likely tone abused by some-one known to them than this mythical dangerous stranger on the prowl.

Would you/Will let your children sit on Santa's knee? 290 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    91% 264 votes
    Don't Know
    8% 26 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Last week I let my 7 month old sit on a Santa-impersonator's knee, he had a great time.

so did my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Jesus Christ. It's getting to a stage now that a man won't be allowed to look at a child without being branded a paedophile.

Women lock up your children, there are men around!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Jesus nothing is safe anymore is it!!

Over sensitive crap really has taken a huge hold on society in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

F.uck sake.

The only benefit from not allowing it that I can see is to protect innocent men from false allegations by hysterical parents. We've actually got to a stage now where a man is afraid to go to the aid of a lost child in a shopping centre for fear of being accused of doing something he shouldn't, and I remember reading a post here a number of years back by a man who spotted a child in the swimming pool unattended who had gone out of his depth. He had to help him but was terrified he'd be accused of trying to steal/molest him so basically held him out at arms length, shouting "does anyone own this kid!?" - quite funny really but a sign of how ridiculous our society has become. And, as all too many know, it's not usually the stranger, is it? :(

**** sake, hey Santa! Leave those kids alone!

• Advertisement

Anyone who has a problem with their child sitting on santa's knee is an idiot, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They'll be bemoaning the tradition of leaving out a mince pie and glass of milk for Santa, and a carrot for Rudolph, next as it encourages unhealthy eating or something.

PC gone mad Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Glass of milk?

My kid will be leaving a bottle of premium craft beer for Santy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Glass of milk?

My kid will be leaving a bottle of premium craft beer for Santy!
    We always left a glass of whiskey. Co-incidentally Santa was a big fan of the same one as my dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They'll be bemoaning the tradition of leaving out a mince pie and glass of milk for Santa, and a carrot for Rudolph, next as it encourages unhealthy eating or something.

PC gone mad Joe.

Once the milk is lactose free, the mince pie is gluten free and the carrot is organic then I don't see anything wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Corvo

"Kids, we aren't leaving out a carrot for Rudolph this year, he used it as a sex toy last Christmas"

Christ. Lock this thread, what a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

Rabbo wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. It's getting to a stage now that a man won't be allowed to look at a child without being branded a paedophile.

Women lock up your children, there are men around!

Hide yo wives, hide yo kids, and hide yo husbands they raping everybody up here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If Bad Santa has taught us anything, keep small children at arms length and never on your knee...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sad reflection of the direction we have allowed our society to go. Professional handwringers, take a bow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

PC gone mad Joe.

Glass of milk? Jaysus the PC brigade have already gotten rid of Santa's drop of whiskey then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

c_man wrote: »
    Glass of milk? Jaysus the PC brigade have already gotten rid of Santa's drop of whiskey then?!

Can't be drink driving sleighing like

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't they're going far enough. The only way to ensure children are safe is to lock them up in a cage until they're 18. Give them an iPad (internet restricted obviously) and they'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I saw Santa empty his sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

The same woman who is lobbying this has been a finalist in the "Australian of the year" award numerous times.Scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

PC gone mad.

I reckon most of the people who say this have no clue what it means.

This Santa's knee thing would be more of a child protection issue.

Discouraging the use the word 'retarded' in favour of the term 'intellectually disabled' or 'Police Officer' in place of 'Policeman' in respect of gender would be a PC thing.

Edit: I think it's ridiculously OTT to ban something like this. Let parents decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'm not gone on that Santy fella at all, at all at all. I'm told he sneaks into children's bedrooms in the middle of the night and empties his sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Tabnabs wrote: »
    If Bad Santa has taught us anything, keep small children at arms length and never on your knee...

Exactly. I don't want my child sitting on no hobo rent a santa's knee.

God knows what kind of filthy peado this hobo is! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

I love how a situation which is the direct result of tabloid indignation and curtain-twitcher paranoia is being labelled as political correctness. Next up, how immigration is to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

As a helper of Mr Claus and a wearer of his suit down through the years, I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the time children are brought to visit Santa, it is for the parents sake not the kids. I would probably be talking about kids 5 years and under who are foisted upon the knee of a stranger by the parents that they trust. Tears and tantrums ensue. It irks me when a kid is obviously scared, that Mammy or Daddy force the kid to sit on Santas knee. Luckily I am armed with distraction tactics for all the family to get the kid their present, the parents their photo and all out the door before the grotto is wrecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Look- Santa is an foreigner and probably a muslim who is drawing the dole in ireland too. Would you really want.....

Oh wait, wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Kids, don't talk to strangers, I'll just force you on this stranger's knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Anyone who has a problem with their child sitting on santa's knee is an idiot, simple as that.

I'm sure that's true but you just cant be too careful these days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

Isn't Australia the same country that bans men from sitting next to children on airplanes in case they accidentally molest them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    but you just cant be too careful these days

Or hysterical, by the sounds of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Look- Santa is an foreigner and probably a muslim who is drawing the dole in ireland too. Would you really want....

I heard he got radicalised while fighting in Syria.

Advertisement