Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children sitting on Santa's knee....yay or nay?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

So they won't allow them sit on his knee, but tell the tale of how Santa breaks into you're house and comes into your room without waking you to give you presents.

Surprised they haven't banned Santa

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I feel sorry for kids who are brought up by such paranoid fcukwits... can't be good for developing their character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I visited Santa in a midlands town in the 1950s and it was super-exciting. About 40 years later my Da told me he was the town drunk. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sitting on Santa's knee is grand as long as they stay away from the Easter Bunny's hole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    F.uck sake.

The only benefit from not allowing it that I can see is to protect innocent men from false allegations by hysterical parents:(

Nail on the head tight here. If this where we're at, then it really is a sad stage for our "society".

I don't mean to go OT here but I was thinking about lately the idea that you can go out looking for the best or worst in people you encounter in life. I think this kind of hysteria feeds into that somehow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Karl Stein wrote: »
    This Santa's knee thing would be more of a child protection issue

Protecting the child from what though? The parents/responsible adult is present for the Santa visit.

What kind of world is my son facing as he grows up? At what age does a male become an automatic threat to children? 16?...18?...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm increasingly of the view that political correctness is in fact a damaging cult or ideology. You can't do anything, can't say anything about anyone or group (no matter how true it is) or make simple observations without some busy body pressing the intolerant button or screaming blue murder about something. This Santa thing seems an extension of that.

What really annoys me about it though is the people that propagate this stuff most are those least affected by the consequences - i.e the middle class telling the working class how to think about immigration for example when they are the ones most affected. Now we have the great paedophile panic of 2014. Everyone must be watched, every man (in particular) is potentially a dodgy so and so and children must be protected by the most over the top and ludicrous way imaginable - by having their child hood basically more and more restricted. Sure why not lock them in the house all day if this is the way it's all going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Seriously close this ****ing thread. What a thing to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I recently was working on a building site of a new school, the kids of the Junior school next door where playing in the yard they would come over to the fence and ask questions we were told to ignore the child and walk away.

It's getting ridiculous. I'm a father of 2 and feels like your guilty of being a pedo just because your a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

ALiasEX wrote: »
    Kids, don't talk to strangers, I'll just force you on this stranger's knee.

IMO the not talking to strangers rule is bs. I try to teach my children to be polite and answer people when they're spoken to, in the park, the shops, wherever. Also, statistically, they're more likely to be harmed by someone they know. Our rule is that they never go anywhere with anyone, or accept anything from anyone, without checking with the adult in charge. I feel sorry for kids who grow up to fear strangers, and sorry for men particularly who have to live under the shadow of suspicion.

Anyway I've never taken my kids to see Santa- they really believe and I don't think that they'd buy that a Santa in a grotto was the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm sick to my teeth of the continuous PC horseshít that seems to prevail these days.

What a load of fcuking crap.

Fcuks sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Jesus nothing is safe anymore is it!

Not jesus, Santa.. Sssaaaaannnnntttttaaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

My kid will be leaving a bottle of premium craft beer for Santy!

Anyone who drinks that hipster craft beer nonsense, really doesn't deserve a visit from Santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

This isn't PC bull****, people need to calm down. It is merely some headbanger spouting some nonsense and being given a disproportionate amount of attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Anyone who drinks that hipster craft beer nonsense, really doesn't deserve a visit from Santa.

*pulls down trousers and poops on Corvus' shoes*

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

*pulls down trousers and poops on Corvus' shoes*

*Adds Andon's ingredients to new craft beer range*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

mohawk wrote: »
    Protecting the child from what though?

I guess this woman considers the sitting of children on a disguised strange man's knee, in lieu of gifts, somewhat strange.. (it is a bit if you think about it)
    The parents/responsible adult is present for the Santa visit.

I agree.
    At what age does a male become an automatic threat to children? 16?...18?...

Who has suggested this? Do we really have to go down the gender war direction?

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'm sick to my teeth of the continuous PC horseshít that seems to prevail these days.

Fcuks sake.

Please stop getting emotional and read my previous post in this thread.

Glass of milk?

My kid will be leaving a bottle of premium craft beer for Santy!

Quite the artisan snob your child.

Not whiskey, not beer, but craft beer......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

My lot were with santa last week and he asked was it ok for the gang to sit on his lap. Before I could answer they have scrambled all over him, I would have no issue with it at all. My 5 year old ask me afterwards if he reckoned Santa knew he farted when he sat on his lap, naturally I told him no, but I know this childs fart could blow a hole in a pair of trousers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

No. Don't sit on strangers' knees. Kinda like "don't talk to strangers" but more important.

...Actually scratch that. If someone wants you to sit on their knee, keep yelling "don't touch me" and immediately tell parents.

Nothing to do with suspecting anyone in particular of being a fiddler. Just about giving kids attitudes that make them less vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

santa is another form of misogyny - imposing itself on society.

shame on you OP.

racist.

santa is another form of misogyny - imposing itself on society.

shame on you OP.

racist.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

They'll be bemoaning the tradition of leaving out a mince pie and glass of milk for Santa, and a carrot for Rudolph, next as it encourages unhealthy eating or something.

PC gone mad Joe.

Hold the mince pie for but naybe a glass of low fat milk and a small carrot(organic mind) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

crosstownk wrote: »

Fcuks sake.

Yep it's gone mad. I coach an under 9 gaa team - have done from nursery. My own son plays as well.

As well as getting Garda clearance, I had to go on a gaa child protection / awareness type course. Some of the things discussed were interesting.

They stressed never to be in a car with someone else's child on your own - i case threres an allegation.

so one scenario was you're at an away game, you're just about to drive back on your own (let's say my kid has gone with someone else) and you see little Johnny there on his own. Everyone else is gone, but little Johnny is waiting to be collected.

You ring his parents (if you have their number that is) and get no reply. You don't have their express permission to drive him home (which you should have in advance). The jist was that you drive home and leave him there on his own. Not your problem. I was agog at this.

There's something really sad going on when this situation is allowed to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

"The PC brigade" are not the ones responsible for the paranoia surrounding men who have any dealings with children that aren't their own.
    It's people who are always going on about "PC gone mad" that are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

"The PC brigade" are not the ones responsible for the paranoia surrounding men who have any dealings with children that aren't their own.
    It's people who are always going on about "PC gone mad" that are.

But it has.
    Hoes live for the pc drama.

imports too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    As well as getting Garda clearance

Garda clearance ensures nobody with a conviction for sexual offences gets to work with children. That's a good thing.
    I had to go on a gaa child protection / awareness type course.

That's a good thing.
    They stressed never to be in a car with someone else's child on your own - i case threres an allegation.

That's a good thing to protect you from allegations and the child from adults who may not have the child's best interests at heart.
    little Johnny is waiting to be collected [...] You ring his parents (if you have their number that is) and get no reply. You don't have their express permission to drive him home (which you should have in advance).

You should have his parent's permission. Johnny is their child.
    The jist was that you drive home and leave him there on his own. Not your problem. I was agog at this.

Rrrrrrubbish. These guidelines have been brought in to help protect children from harm - do you really think they would make people learn all these guidelines and then say 'you walk away and leave the child there on his own'.

Get. Out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

We really are at this stage in society now.

Earlier in the year I was collecting my sister from primary school, I was about five minutes early, so I was just standing there playing a game on my phone when I realise im starting to get the evil eyes from a few mothers around. My sister runs out and gives me a hug and wants me to hold her hand because she doesn't like crossing the road when an inquisition arrives and starts bombarding me with questions "who are you to this child?" "why are you collecting her?" etc, trying to take her away to talk to her on her own. I was livid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Rabbo wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. It's getting to a stage now that a man won't be allowed to look at a child without being branded a paedophile.

Women lock up your children, there are men around!

Bill Burr summed that up perfectly

Advertisement