Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Crowely MEP (what is he doing?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ming represents my constituency and I voted for him, a lot of EP votes are box ticking exercises as long as he is working on behalf of Midlands North West in terms of representation at EP level I'm not concerned about voting in the parliament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

if it were a female MEP with a sick spouse I reckon some of the begrudgers on here would change their tune fair fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Ming managed to make himself available for photo ops at the water protest in Dublin the other week but he can't turn up for his job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Armelodie wrote: »
    Listen, the sky wouldnt fall in. The same could be said about paternity leave. In ireland I get 3 days but in other countries its months off.

I dont go around begrudging them saying "oh I only get 3 days its not fair, they shouldnt get 6 months off also cos I have to suffer .. ". Thats 'dog in a manger' thinking.

They get months UNPAID paternity leave. Parental leave has to be divided up between both parents.

It's not dog in a manger thinking to expect a person to turn up for work when he is paid a very high salary, and has been elected by the public to do a job on their behalf. If he wants to change the rules so that people with sick spouses get unlimited leave of absence, fine, but it's unethical to take a salary for doing a job he doesn't do.

if it were a female MEP with a sick spouse I reckon some of the begrudgers on here would change their tune fair fast.

Why?

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    Ming represents my constituency and I voted for him, a lot of EP votes are box ticking exercises as long as he is working on behalf of Midlands North West in terms of representation at EP level I'm not concerned about voting in the parliament.
    Part of his work is to attend the parliament. He's not doing the work you elected him to do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Being present and voting is a basic part of representation, but if you're happy with his behaviour so be it.

But to me he represents the lowest type of politician, he feeds of the misery of others while collecting a large salary and pension in the future, while not even doing the most basic functions of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

So was Brian Crowely re-elected?
    After his terrible attendance last time and so far has had a no show with voting if I am correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Really agree the two of them are taking up space. Could we not run a byelection if they are not going to be showing up for the foreseeable, and put someone else in? All these votes taking place, that affect us, and our representatives are not attending.

The circumstances are irrelevant.

No representation is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Yes indeed there are plenty of people with sick relatives who have to work.. wouldn't it be nice if they got compassionate leave?

2 wrongs don't make a right

Carer's leave is a statutory entitlement - he can have 65 weeks off to look after his wife. Many people have had to take this, your job is left open for you.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0019/sec0006.html#sec6

The only problem for Ming is that he would have to take his snout out of the trough - carer's leave is unpaid.

• Advertisement

shanered wrote: »
    So was Brian Crowely re-elected?
    After his terrible attendance last time and so far has had a no show with voting if I am correct?

For some reason, despite Crowley's total lack of commitment to the job, he keeps getting re-elected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

katydid wrote: »
    For some reason, despite Crowley's total lack of commitment to the job, he keeps getting re-elected.

I think that has a lot to do with the intelligence of the Fianna fail voter!

They both have reasons for being absent. Though, I'm not sure how those reasons would be treated in an average industrial job. Ming used a recent trip with his baby to A & E to have a pop at the Government. As other posters have said, there is no reason that he can't afford help for his wife while he carries out his duties in Europe. If this isn't an option, he should stand down.
    Brian, on the other hand has ongoing health problems. It might be in his own best interests to stand aside and concentrate on getting himself fit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

They both have reasons for being absent. Though, I'm not sure how those reasons would be treated in an average industrial job. Ming used a recent trip with his baby to A & E to have a pop at the Government. As other posters have said, there is no reason that he can't afford help for his wife while he carries out his duties in Europe. If this isn't an option, he should stand down.
    Brian, on the other hand has ongoing health problems. It might be in his own best interests to stand aside and concentrate on getting himself fit again.

The problem is, if he was to think of his own best interest he would keep drawing the wage for the full term and put it in the bank and lok after himself with it.
    The people of Irelands best interest would have somebody at the vote, thus him resigning and stepping aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I think MEPs can be seconded by someone else of their choosing.
    I wonder is the time approaching where they both should choose this option.

Although you start to wonder what value they actually bring if two of our eleven can go MIA without hardly anyone noticing.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I think MEPs can be seconded by someone else of their choosing.
    I wonder is the time approaching where they both should choose this option.

Although you start to wonder what value they actually bring if two of our eleven can go MIA without hardly anyone noticing.

Yes, there's a list of substitutes.

Mind you, why would they bother. They can rake in the dosh without showing up for work- how bad?

Not just the "average industrial job". Any job. There are very few jobs where you can take indefinite paid leave, but politics seems to be one. Remember when Mick Wallace disappeared off to the World Cup for a couple of weeks while the Dáil was sitting.

One law for politicians, one for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭kenmccarthy

So we got 11 feasting at the trough?
    What is the "average" voting attendance (percentage) of the whole 11?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Part of his work is to attend the parliament. He's not doing the work you elected him to do.

Debating issues in parliment is only one aspect of it. If they are not relevant to MidNW what's the point. I'm sure pairings are arranged

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

So we got 11 feasting at the trough?
    What is the "average" voting attendance (percentage) of the whole 11?

Seán Kelly – Fine Gael/EPP – 100%
    Nessa Childers – Independent / S&D – 99.08%
    Brian Hayes – Fine Gael/EPP – 99.08%
    Liadh Ní Riada – Sinn Féin / GUE/NGL – 83.41%
    Matt Carthy – Sinn Féin / GUE/NGL – 82.95%
    Lynn Boylan – Sinn Féin / GUE/NGL – 82.03%
    Deirdre Clune – Fine Gael/EPP – 81.57%
    Mairead McGuinness – Fine Gael/EPP – 81.57%
    Marian Harkin – Independent / ALDE – 73.73%
    Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan – Independent / GUE/NGL – 16.59%
    Brian Crowley – Formerly Fianna Fáil/ECRG – 0%
      As you can see, it's actually a pretty good record dragged down to last place by two notable exceptions.

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

To be fair, he lives in Castlerea which is 2 and a half hours away from Dublin airport. Presuming he can even get over and back in the one day.

2 and a half hours from Castlerea to Dublin?? I'd change my car if it took me that long !! :-D
      So would your boss be happy with you turning up to work 16% of the time if your wife was sick? You'd be lucky to get a couple of days compassionate leave.

As it happens everybody is entitled to compassionate paid leave known as Force Majeure Leave. It's 3 days in any 12 month period and a maximum of 5 days over 36 months.
      My Boss (i.e. the Government) makes us jump through hoops to avail of it though. Forms detailing the nature of the 'emergency' have to be filled out and sent off, (preferably with evidence of the case such as a doctors note re relatives illness) and invariably it's refused. You then have to appeal it and wait until they finally decide. 2 or 3 appeals is not unusual. Best case scenario you get it on the first appeal but usually even that takes 8 to 9 months. Obviously the same (European) rules don't apply to those making the rules or Ming would be feeling the pinch by now.

In these cases I'd actually have some sympathy and understanding for Crowley as it's he's sick himself and there's not a lot he can really do about that. I do feel however that he shouldn't have gone for re-election but maybe at the time the prognosis was good. Ming on the other hand has the option of making other arrangements if needs be. Unless his wife is seriously ill and in pretty imminent danger then surely he should be able to scoot off to Brussels for a day or so.

As an aside, a work colleague of mine is off at the moment as his wife had brain tumours removed in the last 2 weeks and has been/is seriously ill. Earlier in the year another colleague had a child with cancer (subsequently died) and yet another had a child that had heart problems and spent a long time in Crumlin. In each instance we all donated a few hours leave to ensure that they were never stuck for time off or lost out financially due to taking time off and in some instances somebody else will work their hours (free). It could happen to any of us any time and we'd be glad of the support so we don't mind but obviously if you're a politician you don't have to worry about these things or making other arrangements !!

3. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Debating issues in parliment is only one aspect of it. If they are not relevant to MidNW what's the point. I'm sure pairings are arranged

It's not ONLY one aspect of it. It is AN aspect of it. Do you get to pick and choose which aspects of your job you do?

Pairings are for unusual and emergency situations, not to allow highly paid politicians to do a job part-time.

4. Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Knock airport

No good, only Dublin and Cork fly to Brussels

5. Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

He really has got you under his spell! He is supposed to represent your interest in all matters not just a few local issues or do you feel that things like:

- scrapping laws on waste and clean air
      - scrapping laws on recycling
      - paid maternity leave
      - scrapping mobile roaming charges
      - trade agreements that will impact Ireland
      - budget negotiations and agreement

are not important to you?

Wake up, you have basically had no representation on most of the issues that will impact this country over the past 12 months.... while 'Ming The Money' has been collecting a nice fat salary by convening you that there are only a few issues that impact MidNW and you don't even know if he was there for even that!

6. Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Parish pump politics, alive, well and taken to a European level.

7. Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Godge wrote: »
      The only problem for Ming is that he would have to take his snout out of the trough - carer's leave is unpaid.

And what a trough it is

Salary - €95,000 approx
      Daily Subsistence - €304 daily (x5(days)=€1520x36(working weeks) = €54720)
      Monthly stipend - €4,299 (x9 (months)= €51588)

Total = €200858, approx

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/no-mercy-ming-ec-may-slash-expenses-for-low-attendance-1.2041487

8. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

vinylbomb wrote: »
      And what a trough it is

Salary - €95,000 approx

Total = €200858, approx

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/no-mercy-ming-ec-may-slash-expenses-for-low-attendance-1.2041487

You'd imagine he could afford a childminder...

9. Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

vinylbomb wrote: »
      And what a trough it is

Salary - €95,000 approx

Total = €200858, approx

That is absolutely outrageous. He attends for 16% of the time and gets 50% of the expenses.

10. Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Look at thw voting record for the last parliament. Crowley couldnt be bothered to turn up for most votes back then. He claimed he was ill but for the six months leading up to the election he made most votes and went around munster saying he was now fit and healthy and raring to go and represent his people once again. He certainly looked in fine health as he campaigned. Now he is back in he suddenly starts handing in the sick notes again. Its a disgrace. If he worked in the private sector he would have been sacked years ago.

11. Advertisement
    12. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

touts wrote: »
      Look at thw voting record for the last parliament. Crowley couldnt be bothered to turn up for most votes back then. He claimed he was ill but for the six months leading up to the election he made most votes and went around munster saying he was now fit and healthy and raring to go and represent his people once again. He certainly looked in fine health as he campaigned. Now he is back in he suddenly starts handing in the sick notes again. Its a disgrace. If he worked in the private sector he would have been sacked years ago.

I doubt if sick notes even come into it. That's for us ordinary people. And there's a limit to them.

Advertisement