Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Uncharted 2 is by far the best in the series: a huge leap in terms of quality from the first game, with some spectacular set pieces and smart characterisation. Three largely retained the quality (bar far too much combat filler) but also felt like a very minor leap compared to the huge one between the previous entries.

TLOU felt like a more coherent overall experience, as I mentioned above. Taking that gameplay / narrative harmony and applying it to Uncharted 4 is hopefully what the new creative team will focus on: it's what could and should take the series beyond being a mere rollercoaster. They need to either reduce their reliance on shooting galleries, or at least take Drake's character in a direction that reflects the body count.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

*This just In:*
    Uncharted fans like Uncharted series but still feel the need to gripe and hope that new Uncharted game does not have the corridor shooting, quips, cutscenes, set pieces and treasure hunter style of the Uncharted series. Naughty Dog begin working on way to incorporate fetch quests, grinding, RPG elements, space exploration, chess and backgammon mini games and rail shooting elements.

Rockstar to collaborate to ensure the fundamental elements you know and love of the series (but yet choose to moan about) are buried in a pile of new crap mechanics which can safely be removed to the audible sighs of relief for Uncharted 5. At this point fans of the series will take to the streets dancing and spewing confetti at how the series has gone back to it's roots and it feels like "Uncharted Again".

The phrase "Uncharted 3 was a great a game" will be, for the 1st ever, uttered without someone saying "BUT". All previous entries in the series will be re-branded as "Classic-Charted" and people will stop distinguishing between them, accepting they are just all very good games and all more of the same. Instead they'll be able to focus their vitriol on the recent 4th entry in the series asking "why did they change what wasn't broken? bring back corridors of enemies".

Despite all this Naughty Dog will still make games, hunger will still exist and the common cold will not be eradicated

dafuq??? ^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I bet that sounded funnier in your head, didn't it? :pac:

Seriously though, most reasonable people are able to love a game and still recognise that it has flaws and isn't perfect. Hardly a ground-breaking revelation

• Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Drake is looking old and seriously haggard...

character-comparison-2.png

It really is amazing the level of detail they can put into characters these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,730 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nonsense. You don't need all that new age hippie crap.

Now Random Black Mesa Scientist, THERE was a guy who really expressed his emotion through his body language while you crowbar him to death

HalfLife_PC_27b.jpg

Is that a Syringe needle or a Vodka Martini?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Think I'll replay all the uncharted games before this comes out! Good excuse to replay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Daemos wrote: »
    I bet that sounded funnier in your head, didn't it? :pac:

Seriously though, most reasonable people are able to love a game and still recognise that it has flaws and isn't perfect. Hardly a ground-breaking revelation

Not so much funny as satire. I'm excited for Uncharted 4.

Just wish we could all leave the AAA game (even though I hate that phrase), and their relevant sequels, bashing to one side. The games are good cause of the mechanics they use. If you remove the likes of corridor shooting, snap to cover etc, then you're moving more away from playing an Uncharted game and more towards playing a bad tomb raider 3 port. On the plus side at least uncharted is not quiet a yearly release so elicits less moans and groans :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

.ak wrote: »
    Think I'll replay all the uncharted games before this comes out! Good excuse to replay them.

I wonder, if TLOU sells well enough on PS4, will they outsource the upgrade of U1-3 to a company like BluePoint Games and make an Uncharted Collection?

It'd be easy money IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Otacon wrote: »
    I wonder, if TLOU sells well enough on PS4, will they outsource the upgrade of U1-3 to a company like BluePoint Games and make an Uncharted Collection?

It'd be easy money IMO.

Apparently redoing the last of us was more difficult than you'd think. So maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Otacon wrote: »

It'd be easy money IMO.

That was rumoured a couple of months ago, haven't heard anything about it since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

cloud493 wrote: »
    Apparently redoing the last of us was more difficult than you'd think. So maybe not.

If they use similar engines though, won't all of that work with TLOU make it easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Nolan North believes this is the last Uncharted game Naughty Dog want to do.
    CVG wrote:
    The man behind Nathan Drake thinks Uncharted 4: A Thief's End will be the last entry in the PlayStation series - from creator Naughty Dog at least.

"It's bittersweet but at a certain point you want to go out on top," North told IGN.

"If this is the last one indeed, and I believe it's the last one - nothing's confirmed, but I believe it's the last one Naughty Dog wants to do, in which case I hope somebody else doesn't pick up the mantle because they've done it so well for so long - but yeah, it's one of those things where you just have to cross that bridge when you get to it.

"I like the idea of going out on top so we better do a hell of a job with this one... and it's already looking pretty good."

Taken from CVG

Considering how good The Last of Us was, I think it's a good thing and would relish another new IP from Naughty Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No chance Sony will let Uncharted go, they may let Naughty Dog start another ip but you'll see them increasing to either a 3 team studio or another dev taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Varik wrote: »
    No chance Sony will let Uncharted go, they may let Naughty Dog start another ip but you'll see them increasing to either a 3 team studio or another dev taking over.

I think if Naughty Dog don't want to do it, they won't. They may get another dev to do it, lets hope that's not the case. I know they did it for 2 (?) Crash Bandicoot titles, don't think they did it for Jak & Daxter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Varik wrote: »

I dunno, I'd like to think they respect Naughty Dog enough to not give their creation to a lesser developer. Though money may talk louder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I dunno, I'd like to think they respect Naughty Dog enough to not give their creation to a lesser developer. Though money may talk louder.

Naughty dog will be allowed to do what they want once they continue being a hit factory. If they end uncharted and replace it with something that sells just as much, don't won't care

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Naughty Dog have released a 1080p/60fps version of the E3 trailer. Looks pretty amazing.

Video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Naughty Dog have released a 1080p/60fps version of the E3 trailer. Looks pretty amazing.

Video

Am I the only one who notices the dreadful "soap opera effect" in that video?

I'm seeing it more and more on modern tvs and it looks ghastly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I adore the uncharted series but I hope uncharted 4 is just a more prettier uncharted game with more scripted moments and linear gameplay.

I hope it takes the tomb raider route and expand upon it with abit more puzzle aspect which would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who notices the dreadful "soap opera effect" in that video?

I'm seeing it more and more on modern tvs and it looks ghastly.

Firstly, make sure the settings on your TV are correct. You shouldn't see that horrible HD effect when you turn off the various silly filters and horrid 'motion smoothing' features some manufactures tend to turn on by default.

That hyper real soap opera look is heavily determined by frame rates that are higher than the 24 FPS filmic standard. It's why the Hobbit films looked so weird as they were shot and displayed in 48 FPS (in certain cinemas anywhere). We've been hard wired all our lives to watch videos in 24 frames a second, and anything else seems incredibly disorientating. Games or even videos that display in 60 FPS (or indeed anything over 24) therefore will look much more 'sped up' than standard film and television, and often amplified by the ****ty features unnecessarily added to many TVs. 60 FPS does however benefit games far more than it does passive video footage (unless you're shooting slow motion or other types of heavily stylised effects) due to factors like reduced controller latency and the simple fact that games and films are very different mediums.

One of the things that a lot of people forget in the frame rate debates is that 30 FPS actually has a distinctive aesthetic, one that's closer to cinema, and that has its uses. It's why the developers of the Order are going for that instead of 60 (as well as a cinematic 2.35:1 aspect ratio). There'll always be a couple of games that actually look better when played at lower frame rates, but it all depends on it being a very specific art style.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

Character development has been one of the many things Naughty Dog has nailed over the last few years so it will be interesting to see how this one unfolds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

One of the things that a lot of people forget in the frame rate debates is that 30 FPS actually has a distinctive aesthetic, one that's closer to cinema, and that has its uses. It's why the developers of the Order are going for that instead of 60 (as well as a cinematic 2.35:1 aspect ratio). There'll always be a couple of games that actually look better when played at lower frame rates, but it all depends on it being a very specific art style.

Dont agree with this at all,cant see any reason for a game to be locked to 30fps,the film effect the devs of the order are talking about sounds like an excuse to me because resolution and framerate are such hot topics at the minute.

I mean how would it make any difference to how it looks?
    Art style and the look of a game are not decided by framerate imo

Also 30fps would not nessacerily put me off any game,i just think that in this case(The Order) the devs are just making excuses that make no sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I was left a little cold with certain parts of Uncharted 3, so really hope Uncharted 4 is a good send off to Nate.

There's always been some technical gripes with shooting etc,and some annoying gameplays aspects (shipyard shootout in Drake's Deception), but all-in-all, it's a superb series. Great characters, fantastic dialogue and some stellar set pieces (I still look the truck chase in Among Thieves).

I'm glad they took a break to make The Last Of Us, and I hope for more IP's in the future; but yeah, I'm looking forward to this very much.

Regarding the "soap opera" comments; I think that trailer looks gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

EoinHef wrote: »
    Dont agree with this at all,cant see any reason for a game to be locked to 30fps,the film effect the devs of the order are talking about sounds like an excuse to me because resolution and framerate are such hot topics at the minute.

I mean how would it make any difference to how it looks?
    Art style and the look of a game are not decided by framerate imo

Also 30fps would not nessacerily put me off any game,i just think that in this case(The Order) the devs are just making excuses that make no sense to me

Take a look at FPS games like COD and BF and Killzone. COD games ran at higher frame rates, faster gameplay and felt more arcadey than the likes of BF and Killzone that ran much lower.

It changes a games play style more so than the actual look but the gameplay look.

It will be interesting to play the Last of Us in 60fps on PS4 compared to 30fps on the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Take a look at FPS games like COD and BF and Killzone. COD games ran at higher frame rates, faster gameplay and felt more arcadey than the likes of BF and Killzone that ran much lower.

It changes a games play style more so than the actual look but the gameplay look.

It will be interesting to play the Last of Us in 60fps on PS4 compared to 30fps on the PS3.

Could they not just slow all movement/animation speed to get the same feel but let the game run at 60 fps? One way of getting rid of the arcadey feel. There also claiming the went 30 fps for the look of the game rather than how it plays. Its this that i cant understand

I think one of the things your getting at is the responsiveness of the input,higher frame rates equals less input lag,to me thats a really good thing. COD ran at 60fps to help keep input lag low hence making player movement feel more responsive.

I agree sometimes decisions are made for the betterment of a game,thing like resolution being sacrificed for a more open world etc etc but just dont see how a lower framerate makes a game "better",or more suited to its art style. Should make zero difference to how a game looks.

The Last of us is a good one actually,i doubt it will feel arcadey because its running at 60 fps,but it definitely will feel more responsive

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It would be nice if they made an effort to focus more on the puzzling as opposed to the near constant bouts of slaughter. TLOU was a bit better in that regard, there was at least some attempt at giving the killing an emotion impact for the characters. I found the constant combat in Uncharted took me out of the immersion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

ByhCsGVIgAEInvu.jpg

Next gen Drake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ He looks more like Nolan North than previous games

2507639-137231030208.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 square left

I heard a rumour that a new trailer will be released this weekend. Here's hoping!

Advertisement