Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people still eat dairy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

ch750536 wrote: »
    That's fine if you think no further. Eaten many bugs today? They're good for you and taste nice, so why not?

i chose not to, get my protein from other sources :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,121 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm really not interested in ethics / morals / religion dictating what you eat.

If there's real science supporting a vegan approach as the best approach I've yet to see it. What I've seen a veritable load of however is anecdotal 'I went vegan and it cured all my diseases' type nonsense.

Show me this great army of elite vegan athletes. I like to try and achieve moderate feats of physical strength. Would be very difficult (or impossible) if I was vegan imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

ch750536 wrote: »
    That's fine if you think no further. Eaten many bugs today? They're good for you and taste nice, so why not?

If bugs were commercially available I know many who wouldn't have a problem consuming them. Many of the insects people eat frequently aren't prominent here like dairy is so it's not really a fair comparison. Also I know with grasshoppers that they're more of a snack food - for it to be substantial you'd have to eat quite a lot of it (this is based on one article I read and is open to correction). The only really substantial insect I believe is mealworms (again open to correction) - and - again - I don't know if you can even get those here.

I think it's important to add that insects are eaten in many parts of the world because they're widely available and have become a part of main diet over the years.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

If there's real science supporting a vegan approach as the best approach I've yet to see it. What I've seen a veritable load of however is anecdotal 'I went vegan and it cured all my diseases' type nonsense.

Show me this great army of elite vegan athletes. I like to try and achieve moderate feats of physical strength. Would be very difficult (or impossible) if I was vegan imo.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/09/08/vegan_strongman_shoulders_550_kg_a_record_perhaps_at_vegetarian_food_fest.html

it's doable but I doubt it's the easiest way.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I'm paraphrasing Chris Rock when I say 'You can drive with your feet, but it doesn't make it a good f-ing idea.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm paraphrasing Chris Rock when I say 'You can drive with your feet, but it doesn't make it a good f-ing idea.'

Bigger and Blacker, ftw.

It's a very very versatile quote :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I was pointing out how miserable it is to always be craving chocolate and stuff and how I don't get them anymore. You should look up Dr Neal Barnard, he has a book on a high carb low fat vegan diet and diabetes. It's not as simple as carbs raise blood sugar.

You got them before due to a bad diet. Nothing to do with dairy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

I've just wondering why people do this in this day and age. Lots of people getting into health and starting to think about what they put in their bodies, yet grown adults are still drinking milk that comes from another mammal. Do people really think that it's normal to do so? Or more so, do they think it's healthy? Or worse.. necessary?!

What planet where you born on?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

How the hell do you eat your cornflakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Came across this thread & find it interesting all right. I'm lactose intolerant which developed in adult hood. Drank milk (& lots of it) during my childhood. Yes going off dairy really did help my sinus problems (there is a known link there) and also my IBS but the latter was mainly down to the fact that my intolerance was having a knock on effect on my IBS as opposed to it "curing" it. I still have it & it flairs.

I don't have any issue with milk or dairy products well apart from the smell but that's just since my intolerance fully kicked in. Like others have said, we have evolved in this part of the world over hundreds of years to be able to properly digest milk....well most of us. In fact there's probably more gluten-intolerances than dairy because we're still evolving to cope with the amount of carbs now in our diets. If you look back over the last century, the diet was not made up of mostly carbs but of veg & protein. And by carbs I mean more bread, pasta, rice etc as opposed to potatoes (which the Irish obviously have evolved to eat loads of :P)

• Advertisement

Came across this thread & find it interesting all right. I'm lactose intolerant which developed in adult hood. Drank milk (& lots of it) during my childhood. Yes going off dairy really did help my sinus problems (there is a known link there) and also my IBS but the latter was mainly down to the fact that my intolerance was having a knock on effect on my IBS as opposed to it "curing" it. I still have it & it flairs.

I don't have any issue with milk or dairy products well apart from the smell but that's just since my intolerance fully kicked in. Like others have said, we have evolved in this part of the world over hundreds of years to be able to properly digest milk....well most of us. In fact there's probably more gluten-intolerances than dairy because we're still evolving to cope with the amount of carbs now in our diets. If you look back over the last century, the diet was not made up of mostly carbs but of veg & protein. And by carbs I mean more bread, pasta, rice etc as opposed to potatoes (which the Irish obviously have evolved to eat loads of :P)

we were described as the sturdiest peasants in Europe, that's what 8kg of spuds a day washed down with milk will do to you, make you nice and sturdy.
    I remember a history lecturer going over this with us it was from the mid 1700s potatoes took off in a big way (population growth, a good land clearing crop, a food which would not be used for animal feed so it was more profitable to get your labours to eat it than say oats, were the main reasons), so it's unlikely evolutionary as we have only ate potatoes for a few hundred years. still though it's weird how one crop was key to so much of our (modern) history

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Came across this thread & find it interesting all right. I'm lactose intolerant which developed in adult hood. Drank milk (& lots of it) during my childhood. Yes going off dairy really did help my sinus problems (there is a known link there)

Yeah there certainly is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Came across this thread & find it interesting all right. I'm lactose intolerant which developed in adult hood. Drank milk (& lots of it) during my childhood. Yes going off dairy really did help my sinus problems (there is a known link there)

In fairness, when my sinus flares up, I've to go off milk too. It just makes your body produce lots of mucus and clogs you up until it ends up infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

sup_dude wrote: »
    In fairness, when my sinus flares up, I've to go off milk too. It just makes your body produce lots of mucus and clogs you up until it ends up infected.

never happened me in my 34 years of eating it

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Question for you, do you honestly not believe that dairy is made by female cows for their calves, in the same way that women make milk for their human babies?

I understand your logic that milk evolved for consumption by a calf may not be suitable for humans but this is just a hypothesis. You actually need to show that consuming milk has negative effects on the human body to prove this. So really you need to look to scientific literature and, as with many aspects of diet, the conclusions are not as black and white as you would like to believe. While there are some studies that show some negative effects there are also studies that show positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

mickman wrote: »
    never happened me in my 34 years of eating it

I have sinus problems already though, milk just aggreviates it worse whenever those problems flare up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's..................... delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Just throwing in my (broad) 2 cents ...

Some people have a bad reaction to dairy, but for those who don't it is a decent source of certain nutrients and is tasty.

Some people have a bad reaction to nuts, but for those who don't they are a decent source of certain nutrients and are tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Had to step in here to address the last bit of your post. Claiming it would be near impossible to achieve moderate feats of strength on a vegan diet is entirely false. Theres nothing "moderate" about any of the people below. Particularly Frank Medrano.

Vegan bodybuilders - http://www.greatveganathletes.com/bodybuilders
    Frank Medrano, Vegan, calisthenics enthusiast who is incredibly strong - http://www.thefrankmedrano.com/
    Vegan athletes of all kinds - http://www.greatveganathletes.com/
    Vegan UFC fighter - http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Mac-Danzig
    Theres even a vegan Professional arm wrestler :phttp://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/professional-vegan-arm-wrestler-proves-plant-based-diet-can-equal-strength/

Question veganism however you want, but don't claim that we can't be as strong as meat and dairy eaters because its outright nonsense.

Had to step in here to address the last bit of your post. Claiming it would be near impossible to achieve moderate feats of strength on a vegan diet is entirely false. Theres nothing "moderate" about any of the people below. Particularly Frank Medrano.

Frank Medrano, Vegan, calisthenics enthusiast who is incredibly strong - http://www.thefrankmedrano.com/
    Theres even a vegan Professional arm wrestler :phttp://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/professional-vegan-arm-wrestler-proves-plant-based-diet-can-equal-strength/

Question veganism however you want, but don't claim that we can't be as strong as meat and dairy eaters because its outright nonsense.

I already pointed that out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Yes and I was giving more examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,121 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Front page of 'greatveganathletes.com': "Many of the World's greatest sports people are now Vegan". Huh? I'm willing to bet there are zero NFL players following a Vegan diet.

You've demonstrated exceptions that prove the rule essentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I don't really understand the point of this thread, has anyone given any real reason why we shouldn't have dairy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Human milk is no better, my 6 month old daughter drinks a lot of milk, practically nothing else infact. She has put on considerable weight in the last months, and the rolls of fat are getting alarming. Also she is unable to control her bowels often evacuating into her nappy, and these smell foul. According to the radio this is often a sign of "toxins" due to food intolerance. The process of harvesting the milk is also inhumane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Human milk is no better, my 6 month old daughter drinks a lot of milk, practically nothing else infact. She has put on considerable weight in the last months, and the rolls of fat are getting alarming. Also she is unable to control her bowels often evacuating into her nappy, and these smell foul. According to the radio this is often a sign of "toxins" due to food intolerance. The process of harvesting the milk is also inhumane.

You should read an over-priced book, apparently it's the only cure for these things. Also a high carb/low carb/high fat/low fat diet will help, and DO NOT use moderation or common sense. Remember that everyone is out to kill you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't really understand the point of this thread, has anyone given any real reason why we shouldn't have dairy?

OP says so. That's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Front page of 'greatveganathletes.com': "Many of the World's greatest sports people are now Vegan". Huh? I'm willing to bet there are zero NFL players following a Vegan diet.

You've demonstrated exceptions that prove the rule essentially.

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I don't really understand the point of this thread

Cleary not. The OP
    I've just wondering why people do this in this day and age. Lots of people getting into health and starting to think about what they put in their bodies, yet grown adults are still drinking milk that comes from another mammal. Do people really think that it's normal to do so? Or more so, do they think it's healthy? Or worse.. necessary?!

Quite a clear question, the OP is wondering why people drink milk. Assuming you do, why do you drink it & have you ever thought about milk in this way.
    has anyone given any real reason why we shouldn't have dairy?
    Nobody asked for reasons not to drink it, perhaps motivations are better. Example: Many people believe milk is a healthy option. Compared to what? What does milk give you that you can't readily get elsewhere?

Think about the post, come to your own thoughts and conclusions and then join in. I find it interesting as more people on the planet don't drink milk (other than as an ingredient) than do - appreciate this is changing due to western influences though.

As mentioned before, bugs are good for you, readily available. Why not eat bugs?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

For the record I'd totally eat bugs if they could mash them up with something so the texture was nice and they tasted good. I think we're gonna see a lot more developments in food technology that allow just this in the future.

Prawns are a lot like insects and they are lovely tasting. It's just all down to what you are culturally used to.

No there's nothing in milk that can't be got elsewhere with a bit of effort, but why should I go to the effort when milk is:

1. Tasty
    2. Easily available and very sustainably farmed in this country
    3. Nutritious

I would survive no problem if I couldn't drink milk. But I don't have to avoid it so I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yes, these web pages often quote Carl Lewis, they fail to point out he only became a Vegan after he stopped competing at the highest level :rolleyes:

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/carl-lewis-vegan/

Edit OK actually he did ok the year after becoming a vegan (1991) but went steadily downhill after that. When he was at his best (1984-1990) he was neither a vegan nor a vegetarian).

Advertisement