Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people still eat dairy?

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Would low fat milk be better?

Find that easier with digestion.

Whatever you'd prefer, low fat still has a decent amount of fat and therefore fat soluble vitamins in it so whatever floats you boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FluffTheDog

Lol I'm sure a little bit is fine but I used to have it everyday on my porridge so I just switched to maple syrup. I like my teeth, they're nice the way they are.

Lol I'm sure a little bit is fine but I used to have it everyday on my porridge so I just switched to maple syrup. I like my teeth, they're nice the way they are.

But maple syrup is prob about the same nutritionally as honey if not a little better. Honey doesn't cause cavities like refined sugar because it's naturally antimicrobial and it also contains some pretty powerful prebiotics.

And to think a doctor would recommend chemo for cancer :rolleyes:

Human being are onminvores. We have incisors to rip animal flesh apart. Next please.

Lol when do you ever rip animal flesh apart? You don't. You cook it after someone else chopped it up and packaged it for you, then you use your sharp knife to cut it into little bits and then you chew it. No ripping of animal flesh like a real omnivore. Human teeth are flat like other plant eaters. Dogs are omnivores, look at their teeth. Completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

OP - it may come as a surprise to you but none of us are getting out of here alive. However, most of us are going to try to enjoy our lives, and are not too worried whether or not we ultimately make a healthy corpse.

• Advertisement

But maple syrup is prob about the same nutritionally as honey if not a little better. Honey doesn't cause cavities like refined sugar because it's naturally antimicrobial and it also contains some pretty powerful prebiotics.

I just looked it up on cronometer. Maple syrup is better in terms of vits and minerals yes. Actually has a lot of manganese and b2. Honey doesn't have much nutritional value it seems. Anyway that's not the point, I don't want the stomach acids in it.

53239-jerry-seinfeld-Im-out-gif-0qdn.gif

Del.Monte wrote: »
    OP - it may come as a surprise to you but none of us are getting out of here alive. However, most of us are going to try to enjoy our lives, and are not too worried whether or not we ultimately make a healthy corpse.

I know. But honestly, we can be healthy as vegans and it's so more sustainable for the planet to live on plant foods. And I know people don't really care about the animals but it's just so unnecessary to have all that life being created and destroyed.

In terms of enjoyment, I feel so liberated since I went veg. No cravings and emotional dependence on biscuits and chocolate anymore! If you're a man you probably won't understand but I think most women drive themselves crazy thinking about food. And it's just unnecessary tbh.

Anyway this thread has gotten OT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I know. But honestly, we can be healthy as vegans and it's so more sustainable for the planet to live on plant foods. And I know people don't really care about the animals but it's just so unnecessary to have all that life being created and destroyed.

In terms of enjoyment, I feel so liberated since I went veg. No cravings and emotional dependence on biscuits and chocolate anymore! If you're a man you probably won't understand but I think most women drive themselves crazy thinking about food. And it's just unnecessary tbh.

Anyway this thread has gotten OT!

Yes being a vegan maybe better for the environment. But billions choose to eat meat and other animal products, as its their choice. They eating what they like to eat.

Im not vegan and I dont anything that is sweet. So I dont how your comment about chocolates is relevant. Most vegan diets are questionable as they eat so many refined carbs, which arent that healthy compared to proteins such as eggs or meat. Most carbs are quite unhealthy and most independent food scientists, often dont have anything positive to say about refined carbs. They cause blood sugars to spike just like chocolates and sugary items

OP you should look at farming in Ireland. Its not the BS that PETA make farming out to be. There is nothing morally wrong with the Irish dairy industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Lol when do you ever rip animal flesh apart? You don't. You cook it after someone else chopped it up and packaged it for you, then you use your sharp knife to cut it into little bits and then you chew it. No ripping of animal flesh like a real omnivore. Human teeth are flat like other plant eaters. Dogs are omnivores, look at their teeth. Completely different.

Dogs are carnivores.

Scientific classification
    Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Chordata
    Class: Mammalia
    Order: Carnivora
    Family: Canidae
    Genus: Canis
    Species: C. lupus
    Subspecies: C. l. familiaris

The fact that they will eat what you put in front of them does not change what their natural diet is. Clearly you are really inciteful given your opposition to eating dairy. There are a multitude of things that human do that other animals don't do. What other animal ferments alcohol or cooks their food. I am guessing that you also advocate the raw food diet.

One could likely live perfectly ommitting most of what your diet might consist of. Nut, beans, pulses, or even any of the grains you might choose to eat. I could pick any that you chose to omit. You are assuming cause and effect too. Your change in iron level is not as a result of omitting milk but your more focused effort on measuring what your are eating and taking things in to consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Whatever about the milk being stolen from those poor calves and fed to humans, what about those poor veggies sitting in their nice warm soil and being ripped unmercifully from the ground to be eaten by humans of all things.
    Has no one considered their feelings and the pain they have to endure.

I think we need a new poll. Should Joe Duffy be called on Monday for his opinion on the subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Only just found this thread. Well done op. You have me convinced. Black tea tomorrow, and orange juice on the porridge!

Anything else I could be doing?

:D

hfallada wrote: »
    Yes being a vegan maybe better for the environment. But billions choose to eat meat and other animal products, as its their choice. They eating what they like to eat.

Im not vegan and I dont anything that is sweet. So I dont how your comment about chocolates is relevant. Most vegan diets are questionable as they eat so many refined carbs, which arent that healthy compared to proteins such as eggs or meat. Most carbs are quite unhealthy and most independent food scientists, often dont have anything positive to say about refined carbs. They cause blood sugars to spike just like chocolates and sugary items

OP you should look at farming in Ireland. Its not the BS that PETA make farming out to be. There is nothing morally wrong with the Irish dairy industry.

I was pointing out how miserable it is to always be craving chocolate and stuff and how I don't get them anymore. You should look up Dr Neal Barnard, he has a book on a high carb low fat vegan diet and diabetes. It's not as simple as carbs raise blood sugar.

Listen, I know what Irish farming is like. I grew up in the country surrounded by dairy farms. Most of my friends come from them. But it's still unnecessary to have all them animals. And let's be honest, there's no kind way to kill an animal.

And yeah, PETA actually has some questionable sh!t going on tbh and I don't like their approach at promoting veganism at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I was pointing out how miserable it is to always be craving chocolate and stuff and how I don't get them anymore. You should look up Dr Neal Barnard, he has a book on a high carb low fat vegan diet and diabetes. It's not as simple as carbs raise blood sugar.
    Where's Bruno26 at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think the dairy issue is a no brainer, and I want to see what other people think, not just veggies!

No brainer comes to mind alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

OP, given the crap you're spouting here and thinking you're right, please tell me you actually properly researched your diet before you tried it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I've just wondering why people do this in this day and age. Lots of people getting into health and starting to think about what they put in their bodies, yet grown adults are still drinking milk that comes from another mammal. Do people really think that it's normal to do so? Or more so, do they think it's healthy? Or worse.. necessary?!

So damn good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pidgeoneyes

Someone's lawn got cut up by a herd of cows:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Your entire attitude to dairy is kind of bizarre. It is simply a group of foods which humans have evolved to be able to consume with no negative effects (at least in this part of the world). The only reason (as mentioned earlier in this thread) that only the young of other mammals stop drinking it because the gene that allows them to metabolise the sugar in dairy (lactose) doesn't persist as they age. However in Europe - lactase persistence alleles which allows us to continue to metabolise dairy into out adult years occur at a high frequency (Basically - the majority of people here aren't lactose intolerant).

There is a reason people evolved to be able to consume dairy. The ability to consume another food source would have been and still is highly beneficial - especially when it contains an abundance of vitamins and minerals and is high in calories. The idea that you think it's strange or odd really don't matter - they're just your perceptions. Lots of things humans do now can be considered strange or odd - we started cooking food for starters. The same way many people think it's strange to kill animals and consume the meat. At the end of the day it's just another source of energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

What she said well done ciara1052

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Im lactose intolerant and I still have bits of it. especially if Celebrations are around
    nothing weird about those
    om nom nom
    ><

• Registered Users Posts: 36,120 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You're very narrow minded.

If narrow minded equates to not believing that a vegan diet cured asthma I'd like to own the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Looks like fluff has ran to ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

We're all individuals. If we reworded the OP to be 'bugs are really good for us, why aren't we eating more' then you would probably see their perspective on milk. Personally I see the whole milk thing as odd.

From an asthma perspective, my eldest lad has a number of nasal \ bronchial issues and he improved greatly when we removed dairy from his diet. Not ruling out coincidence of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

dairy is good for you and tastes good so why wouldn't I eat it

Huge Study on Raw Milk and how children raised on it have fewer allergies and less asthma , so something to think about there.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/11/12/raw-milk-benefits.aspx

Sources and Links to the study are on the end of that page

dairy is good for you and tastes good so why wouldn't I eat it

That's fine if you think no further. Eaten many bugs today? They're good for you and taste nice, so why not?

• Advertisement

Advertisement