Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Just ordered a 2TB 2.5" HDD for my Xbox ONE which comes with a usb 3.0 enclosure to use as plug and play external storage for Xbox but I plan on taking it out of the enclosure and putting it into my Xbox instead of the stock 500gb. Watch this space... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Just ordered a 2TB 2.5" HDD for my Xbox ONE which comes with a usb 3.0 enclosure to use as plug and play external storage for Xbox but I plan on taking it out of the enclosure and putting it into my Xbox instead of the stock 500gb. Watch this space... :D
    Product Link?

Product Link?

Oh yeah forgot to link it and mention its €84 :)https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ILALU9G/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_O-QCub0BW065F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I thought the X1 HDD was not swappable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I thought the X1 HDD was not swappable?

It's not supported but doable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Interesting. Let us know how it goes, have to start looking at storage options soon!

There's a guide on how to format the new HDD for the Xbox ONE here: http://www.ludvikjerabek.com/2014/07/14/xbox-one-fun-with-gpt-disk/

& there's a guide on how to take the Xbox apart here: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbox+One+Teardown/19718

So it turns out Argos actually have that exact same HDD but for €2 cheaper, who would have known!

On my way in to collect it now :D

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2489935.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

So it turns out Argos actually have that exact same HDD but for €2 cheaper, who would have known!

On my way in to collect it now :D

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2489935.htm

It was €80 on amazon last week so I picked it up, had my eye on it for a long time in argos.

• Advertisement

It was €80 on amazon last week so I picked it up, had my eye on it for a long time in argos.

Job :) It wasn't listed under portable hard drives on argos website so I never seen it. Just happened to spot the 1tb version so said **** it they must have the 2tb one so! Under desktop hard drives it was, doh!

Pretty nice price tho for a bricks & mortar store. €1.01 cheaper than Amazon at the moment and I'm an impatient bastard when it comes to stuff like this :D

Andddd I'm in:

2HGuLEh.jpg?1

Years worth of dust starting to take over already!

There's a guide on how to format the new HDD for the Xbox ONE here: http://www.ludvikjerabek.com/2014/07/14/xbox-one-fun-with-gpt-disk/

& there's a guide on how to take the Xbox apart here: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbox+One+Teardown/19718

That looks a bit messy for me. Think I'll just plug the drive into the USB port.

That looks a bit messy for me. Think I'll just plug the drive into the USB port.

Yeah it is a bit of effort alright but I love this kind of stuff. I guess it wouldn't suit everyone. :p

Sorry this is the guide for formatting the HDD to be used as the internal HDD in the Xbox I meant to post not the other link, for anyone who's interested:

Yeah it is a bit of effort alright but I love this kind of stuff. I guess it wouldn't suit everyone. :p

Sorry this is the guide for formatting the HDD to be used as the internal HDD in the Xbox I meant to post not the other link, for anyone who's interested:

Actually doesn't look too bad. I might give it a go in a few months when my HDD fills up. My console is only 3 weeks old :-)
    Interested to see how you get on though.

Actually doesn't look too bad. I might give it a go in a few months when my HDD fills up. My console is only 3 weeks old :-)
    Interested to see how you get on though.

You still have over a years warranty then? My warranty's out in February anyway so it's not too bad lol.

Just waiting on uBuntu to download at the moment and I'll be straight into formatting. I'll be back to let you's know it worked ok, (fingers crossed) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Just wondering what is 2tb ? Its 2000gb is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

rottie 11 wrote: »

about 1800 when you use it.

about 1800 when you use it.

And you just plug it in the usb port? But games stored on hdd and that thing would be seperate then? Like would the games still be in my games and apps?

rottie 11 wrote: »
    And you just plug it in the usb port? But games stored on hdd and that thing would be seperate then? Like would the games still be in my games and apps?

If you were just using it by plugging it into the usb port on the side to store your games and such then yes your games would still show up in your games and apps like normal and your total storage would show your total free storage of the xbox hard drive and external hard drive combined.

• Advertisement

So it would just upgrade the standard hardrive , must get one soon as it half full after 2 months and have alot of games to get yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I think the hdd were way to small. Standard should of been 1tb and 2tb models. Surely someone must of known the size of games would increase 10 fold. Need a new 2tb now meself. Might even go higher seen as i know it will b used up. Hate deleting games though like little virtual collections haha

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I think the hdd were way to small. Standard should of been 1tb and 2tb models. Surely someone must of known the size of games would increase 10 fold. Need a new 2tb now meself. Might even go higher seen as i know it will b used up. Hate deleting games though like little virtual collections haha

Yeah I'm exactly the same. Even if I won't play them for ages. I hate owning a few games and not having them installed :p

2TB worked fine as internal hard drive anyway. Just copying all my 380gb of currently installed games onto new hard drive now which is taking a good while!

FQA1D8a.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You still have over a years warranty then? My warranty's out in February anyway so it's not too bad lol.

Just waiting on uBuntu to download at the moment and I'll be straight into formatting. I'll be back to let you's know it worked ok, (fingers crossed) :pac:

So it uses a GPT format even though it's only a 500 GB drive originally ??? Haven't checked but you should be able to do that in windows with the right tools.

Edit: Oh wait I see what they did , it's not a straight GPT format, MS have modified it slightly to make the discs unreadable in windows. Anti Piracy or what ever?

Actually the fact they went with GPT would point to them having larger discs in mind down the road so that makes sense.

How hard is it to open the case Misky ? I remember the 360 needing a T6 or a T8 to open, cant' actually flip mine around where it is to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I imagine that the decision for the 500gb drive was to bring costs down.

But they should have offered two models a basic and premium

dunworth1 wrote: »
    I imagine that the decision for the 500gb drive was to bring costs down.

But they should have offered two models a basic and premium

Yeah seeing as they use non propriety, standard 2.5 inch drives the difference in price between 500gb and 1TB at retail is about 20-40 euro depending on where you shop, difference between 1tb and 2 tb for what you are getting is smaller

calex71 wrote: »
    How hard is it to open the case Misky ? I remember the 360 needing a T6 or a T8 to open, cant' actually flip mine around where it is to see.

It wasn't too bad. It's simple enough after you do it. The trickiest part was taking off the top case as it was held in by a lot of clips on the back, kind of wary of using the spudger too heavy handed when it comes to plastic :D

Once that's off tho it's pretty simple, just long screws holding a case over the internals. Take them out and that off and you're straight in there.

It's T9 I believe, so iFixit Xbox ONE Teardown says. My bits have the size in inches or something on them so I don't know what they are in T sizes. I just use whatever fits :D

There's a lightning deal coming up at 12:40pm on this 3TB Seagate External HDD

Currently at £78.99, so hopefully around £50-60 mark!

maximoose wrote: »

Good one. Just bear in mind it's a 3 1/2 drive so it will neef to be plugged into a power source.

• Advertisement

Definitely keeping an eye on this!

Also seen this, a 64gb dual usb drive, it's £20 already, wonder will it go down
    much more than that :eek: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HR7J3CA/ref=gb1h_img_c-3_2147_2ba4e793?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=17P914Y52MKRPE8DBAZJ&pf_rd_i=161428031&pf_rd_p=560262147

Gone within a minute ffs :pac:

Gone within a minute ffs :pac:

Down to £64.99 was hoping for more :(

It's ****e anyway, it said there was only 1 on flash sale?

I added my name to the que and I can buy it now, it popped up i had 2 mins to add to basket and now have 15 mins once it's in my basket to checkout.

Anyone looking to do the internal 2TB hard drive like I did or even looking for a handy size 2TB for external games storage, this is as cheap as I've seen yet. €79.99 for 2.5" portable one in PC World for Black Friday sale

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/seagate-expansion-stbx2000401-portbl-hard-drive-2-tb-black/317963/393.6

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CatInABox wrote: »
    The minimum that you need is USB3 and 256gb. Obviously, the bigger the better long term, but after those two requirements, it's all personal choice.

Will either of the two definitely work with Xbox One?

How much extra space will they add? An extra 500 gb would definitely do me.

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Will either of the two definitely work with Xbox One?

How much extra space will they add? An extra 500 gb would definitely do me.

Thanks

I can't say for absolutely 100% sure, because I don't have one myself, but I haven't heard about any drive that meets the requirements not working.

They're both 2TB drives, in GB terms they'll both add almost 2000GB.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    I can't say for absolutely 100% sure, because I don't have one myself, but I haven't heard about any drive that meets the requirements not working.

They're both 2TB drives, in GB terms they'll both add almost 2000GB.

Thanks for the replies. The 2nd one doesn't have to be plugged into a plug socket I think? so I'll go with that one if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I've had the portable one connected to my xbox for a few months and it works perfectly, never had any problems with playing games from it and 2TB should be more than enough, I still have 1.6TB free space.

After installing the 2TB hard drive internally in my Xbox ONE. I had 1.7TB of space after the operating system etc. took it's chunk from it.

Have now installed 40 'FULL' games as well as their DLC's such as all the BF4 expansions etc. I still have 1.2TB of space free! :D

The 2TB is definitely more than enough space for anyone for the foreseeable future! :)

TWPXkY5.jpg?1

Games installed include:
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag,
    Assassin's Creed Unity Gold Edition,
    Battlefield 4 Premium Edition,
    Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Digital Pro Edition,
    Chariot,
    Crimson Dragon,
    Destiny Digital Guardian Edition,
    Forza Horizon 2,
    Forza Motorsport 5,
    Grand Theft Auto 5,
    Guacamelee,
    Halo: Spartan Assault,
    Killer Instinct,
    Kinect Sports Rivals,
    Limbo,
    Madden 25,
    Max: The Curse of Brotherhood,
    Metro 2033 Redux,
    Metro: Last Light Redux,
    Minecraft,
    Need for Speed Rivals,
    Nujitsu,
    Peggle 2,
    Pinball FX 2,
    Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare,
    Powerstar Golf,
    Project Spark,
    Sniper Elite 3,
    Strider,
    Strike Suit Zero,
    Super Time Force,
    The Walking Dead Season 1 & 2,
    Titanfall Deluxe Edition,
    Trials Fusion Premium Edition,
    Voice Commander,
    Volgark: The Viking,
    Warframe,
    Watch Dogs,
    Xbox Fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

After installing the 2TB hard drive internally in my Xbox ONE. I had 1.7TB of space after the operating system etc. took it's chunk from it.

Have now installed 40 'FULL' games as well as their DLC's such as all the BF4 expansions etc. I still have 1.2TB of space free! :D

The 2TB is definitely more than enough space for anyone for the foreseeable future! :)

TWPXkY5.jpg?1
    What did you do with the 500GB hard drive that you took out of the XB1?

Can it be reformatted and placed into the casing of the other drive you bought?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

maybe when my warranty runs out I'll have to give that a go myself, or maybe just get Misky to do it for me :p

What did you do with the 500GB hard drive that you took out of the XB1?

Can it be reformatted and placed into the casing of the other drive you bought?

I haven't done anything with it at the moment tbh. It can be formatted and used on pc or for anything if you want but I just haven't bothered yet tbh.

Only thing slightly putting me off doing so is the fact that you can't factory reset your xbox one with the 2TB hard drive in it. As it won't boot after doing this, it will give error screens and also a **** attack to me! :P

It creates partitions based on a 500gb HDD is the reason why.

So after this happened, I had to put stock HDD back in xbox and it worked perfectly, then factory reset xbox, then re-format 2TB HDD on Linux again for use in the XB1, then swapped them over and restart downloading your games with the new hdd in it, or transfer them from an external like I did with most of mine.

Btw, reason it needs to be factory reset is after you put 2TB into Xbox, it will show up as 0% used but all your games and apps will still think they're installed.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    maybe when my warranty runs out I'll have to give that a go myself, or maybe just get Misky to do it for me :p

Lol I would no problem at your own risk :P

I tell ya one thing tho, I know the Xbox ONE inside out at this stage! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

I'm surprised voice commands aren't supports in Ireland as of yet. Any idea as to when this may be happening?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/feature-availability

Oh anther thing is that now my xbox is turning on my tv which is pretty cool, it's just that it's turning it on to the old analogue tuner rather than hdmi1. Is there a way to make it turn onto hdmi from the start up?

ROAAAR wrote: »
    I'm surprised voice commands aren't supports in Ireland as of yet. Any idea as to when this may be happening?

Oh anther thing is that now my xbox is turning on my tv which is pretty cool, it's just that it's turning it on to the old analogue tuner rather than hdmi1. Is there a way to make it turn onto hdmi from the start up?

My region is set to Ireland and voice commands work?

ROAAAR wrote: »

Voice commands work in Ireland for a while now. I only posted this in a similar thread earlier.
    Voice commands work if console set to Ireland for months now. Go to Settings>System switch region to Ireland and an option will pop up to the right of Ireland for you to choose what language to enable voice commands in, set to English (U.S) or English (U.K) and restart, and you'll now have Irish store and voice commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

TWPXkY5.jpg?1

Games installed include:
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag,
    Assassin's Creed Unity Gold Edition,
    Battlefield 4 Premium Edition,
    Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Digital Pro Edition,
    Chariot,
    Crimson Dragon,
    Destiny Digital Guardian Edition,
    Forza Horizon 2,
    Forza Motorsport 5,
    Grand Theft Auto 5,