Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Falthyron wrote: »
    We were told by Dr. Mann that the air has a lot more ammonia (I think he said 70%) on the upper levels of the planet. Perhaps ammonia freezes more easily in colder weather, so upper altitudes might produce this affect alongside moisture?

We don't know what altitude they are standing at. Perhaps they are on the pole of the planet or somewhere near the pole? The sun does reach the planet's surface, otherwise how did they break through the upper atmosphere and land on the surface? :confused:

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure when Dr Mann is breaking down the composition of the atmosphere to Coop and Amelia he describes the upper atmosphere(where they are) as unbreathable but that "the surface" is breathable and may already be supporting life. "the Surface" is a pretty strange phrase to use if they are actually on the surface albeit at a pole or at altitude. Match that with the poster art which show a glacial landscape both above and below Cooper and you can see where someone could come to the conclusion I did.
    Falthyron wrote: »
    Why is it absurd? Is it absolutely inconceivable? Are we made aware of the exact political situation in the international arena during this time? If he gave a ridiculous reason why there are no armies then we can make light of it, but there was no reason. In traditional Nolan-fashion, he leaves that up to us to decide.

Your faith in good governance in an end of the world scenario is commendable but not realistic . Call me cynical but I can't see any government handing over their levers of power to put a few more loaves of bread on peoples table.
    Looper007 wrote: »
    Well I think some Nolan Detractors on here were already hating even before they seen the film. So that was to be expected.

I'm critical of it and I consider myself a Nolan fan, I joined Boards to discuss Inception and defended it to the hilt against enemies foreign and domestic. Prestige is in my top 10. Being critical of a Nolan film no more makes one a "Nolan Detractor" then being complimentary makes me a fanboy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Or, y'know watch it and ake your own mind up? Since when is a divisive film a bad thing? For what faults it does have spectacle certainly isn't one of them, its not a film made to be watched at home.
    It took me less than a minute of reading a review to know this movie wasn't for me as I know already the plot is pants.
    Why waste 3 hours of my life and €10 just to watch fancy special effects? I can get those in my PC games. I can even sit really close to the screen with headphones on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Really enjoyed it though it did have plenty of problems with it but kept me entertained regardless, a technical feast for the eyes and ears but a slight sour taste for the mind.

Nolan's editing definitely improved but the music was still too loud, drowning out lines especially in regards to the robots whose voices weren't that distinguished so it was a bit hard to understand who was talking.

The "love has to mean something" monologue from Hathaway's character was dire and felt too sudden and far out of character for someone who, up till that point, was a steely and rational person determined on the survival of the race.................not wanting to see the guy she was in love with and going to that planet because of "a feeling", which was because of her stubbornness to not return to the ship on the water planet that cost a life and time itself.

She nearly screwed the whole mission up and then wanted to pick a planet based on a feeling, not on the data those lives sacrificed themselves for.

I knew her speech would be vital towards something later in the film and sure enough we got to the multi-dimensional scene where love is revelaed to be the vital component in the communication that saves humanity, essentially proving Hathaway right all along. Bleurgh.

A great cinematic experience and despite it's faults, I was still happy to see a sci-fi movie of this budget and caliber in the cinema which didn't treat it's audiences like complete morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    It took me less than a minute of reading a review to know this movie wasn't for me as I know already the plot is pants.
    Why waste 3 hours of my life and €10 just to watch fancy special effects? I can get those in my PC games. I can even sit really close to the screen with headphones on.

Some of the best films ever made have crap plots, plot isn't the be all and end all of storytelling. And sitting close to a screen isn't the same as seeing something in a cinema environment, that's just being silly.

Sure why read or watch or play anything at all if reading a review is enough to sway you off anything? I prefer to make up my own mind about things, call me crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Having seen it today I'm itching to go back and see it again, maybe it's because I'm around the same age as Nolan and a Dad but it's a fantastic spectacle and I'm sure a second viewing wiill have me taking something new from a second viewing! Anyone notice Ireland got a mention about the potatoe crop being wiped out by blight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Some of the best films ever made have crap plots
    I'll have your examples right there thanks.
    Should I watch every episode of Coronation Street in case it's amazing? Nope, I have enough information to form an opinion. Do you watch everything ever just in case it's good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

I'll have your examples right there thanks.
    Should I watch every episode of Coronation Street in case it's amazing? Nope, I have enough information to form an opinion. Do you watch everything ever just in case it's good?

Ok then...

The Godfather: Mafia family son doesn't want to be involved, gets involved, takes over the family.

The Shawshank Redemption: Guy gets put in prison, gets out after making a friend.

2001: We go to space, find a slap of something, go further into space, robot goes mad, guy goes through wormhole, reborn as star baby..thing.

Alien: Bunch of truckers in space stop off at a planet, pick up alien, all but one die.

Blade Runner: Harrison Ford hunts down androids who were all going to die pretty soon anyway.

Those are the plots of those films. The story however, is what makes a film worth watching, plot and story are not the same thing.

Obiously I dont watch everything, but if something has either a director or actor or subject I'm interested in I'll watch it. Unless it's been absolutely panned in all places as being completely terrible, and even then I'd probably watch it out of sheer curiousity. Interstellar is not a bad film, it's not even close to a bad film, flawed certainly. But a great spectacle and one with ideas worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Haha, good to see Nolan is a fan of Event Horizon!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was anyone expecting the robots to turn evil? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Was anyone expecting the robots to turn evil? :pac:

Yeah kept waiting for that to happen. But loved the Hal 9000 joke one of the robots made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I've never heard so many bad things said about a masterpiece!
    Great CGI with garbage plot and script doesn't do it for me anymore so I'll give this a miss I think.

In fairness, I've given this an awful review in this very thread, but while talking to a friend of mine earlier today I recommended he go see for himself. If you're big on space, just seeing Nolan's interpretation of what other planets and dimensions could be like is interesting. I think a lot of people calling this a 'masterpiece' (they'll pipe down in a couple years, just wait) are people that think it's cool to hang out in space for three hours and, look, that's a perfectly valid reason to enjoy something.

Just thought of a few more points I'd like to add:
    Why did he send himself the coordinates to land him on a mission he's, at the same time, encouraging himself not to go on?

Legit question because I may have just forgotten: was there a reason Murph was inspired to go back to her old bookshelf or was it just a gut feeling? I'm sure there was, I just can't remember. But thinking about the editing again, it was edited very much like both revelations were simultaneous?

I know he wasn't as close to the son, but why wasn't he even brought up at the end? So he's going to save Hathaway (why is this his job again?) instead of finding out what happened to his son?!?

How did he not die of starvation in the time travel dimension? Surely in the time it took Murph to figure out the equation to save the human race, gather the resources, MOVE THE ENTIRE SPECIES TO A DIFFERENT PLANET, then send a crew to save him (but not Hathaway) he'd be a goner. Like, living in another dimension or not, he was still born human and has the same biological make-up. Even if you want to play the relativity card, I felt this whole aspect was under-developed for the sake of the surprise at the end (which could have still been achieved for the sake of not leaving something so gaping to the point it seems like trolling...you could've had a lad float in immediately after he sent the messages going, "Whoa, what the hell's going on here buddy? Any idea where the exit is, let's get you out of here?")

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I thought it was very good and didn't feel it long thought the acting was great with some very emotional scenes I cried but no one saw me in the darkness of the cinema,
    Was a bit confusing in parts but overall I enjoyed it.

leggo wrote: »
    In fairness, I've given this an awful review in this very thread, but while talking to a friend of mine earlier today I recommended he go see for himself. If you're big on space, just seeing Nolan's interpretation of what other planets and dimensions could be like is interesting. I think a lot of people calling this a 'masterpiece' (they'll pipe down in a couple years, just wait) are people that think it's cool to hang out in space for three hours and, look, that's a perfectly valid reason to enjoy something.

The thing that surprises me most about the reaction to this film in this thread is how many people are listing off some pretty fundamental flaws in its makeup but still give it a 9.5 or call it a masterpiece. Its like due to all the goodwill Nolan has earned with the Batman films and the rest of his catalogue he gets an A grade by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Just thought of a few more points I'd like to add:
    Why did he send himself the coordinates to land him on a mission he's, at the same time, encouraging himself not to go on?
    The past and the future is set in stone. It can't be changed. By him trying to get himself to stay, he just did what was already done in the past and what will be done again in the future. The co-ordinates to the NASA station were sent before the STAY message also.

Legit question because I may have just forgotten: was there a reason Murph was inspired to go back to her old bookshelf or was it just a gut feeling? I'm sure there was, I just can't remember. But thinking about the editing again, it was edited very much like both revelations were simultaneous?
    Just a gut feeling.

I know he wasn't as close to the son, but why wasn't he even brought up at the end? So he's going to save Hathaway (why is this his job again?) instead of finding out what happened to his son?!?
    His son was most likely dead, he was a good bit older than the daughter, and he lived in the dust area for all his life so was probably in much worse health. His time is better spent looking for Brand than looking into how is son died in a completely ordinary way.

How did he not die of starvation in the time travel dimension? Surely in the time it took Murph to figure out the equation to save the human race, gather the resources, MOVE THE ENTIRE SPECIES TO A DIFFERENT PLANET, then send a crew to save him (but not Hathaway) he'd be a goner. Like, living in another dimension or not, he was still born human and has the same biological make-up. Even if you want to play the relativity card, I felt this whole aspect was under-developed for the sake of the surprise at the end (which could have still been achieved for the sake of not leaving something so gaping to the point it seems like trolling...you could've had a lad float in immediately after he sent the messages going, "Whoa, what the hell's going on here buddy? Any idea where the exit is, let's get you out of here?")

The species was never moved to a different planet. You missed a pretty big thing there, they were on a station orbiting Saturn waiting for a planet to be found that is viable. The relatively card was played throughout the movie, not just towards the end. Every time they landed on a planet relatively was a huge focus.
    As far as I could tell, the station was already built and orbiting Saturn once Cooper left the tesseract, there was flashing lights in the distance that I assume was the space station.

All in all, you probably should watch the movie again before being so harsh on it. You missed some pretty clear things.

My favorite movie of the year so far. Probably won't be beaten. Though I love the majority of space movies, Contact being another one of my favorite movies and that also gets a lot of hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

The equations were just so they could harness gravity to take off from earth in big space stations en masse (as opposed to send a few people up a time to build space stations in orbit over the space of years or decades). The space station at Saturn is just a way-point at the worm hole.

Why didn't they go after Amelia to bring her back? Or why didn't they join Amelia?

All in all, you probably should watch the movie again before being so harsh on it. You missed some pretty clear things.

My favorite movie of the year so far. Probably won't be beaten. Though I love the majority of space movies, Contact being another one of my favorite movies and that also gets a lot of hate.

I'm grand, I'll be better served spending those three hours doing literally anything else with my time.

Sigh. Everyone criticising the movie either 'missed out' or is somehow wrong or discredited in some way. I'm not calling you a fawning fanboy whose opinion can't possibly be taken credibly because of how you're glossing over massive plot holes, so just respect my thoughts and I'll respect yours. :)

I'm grand, I'll be better served spending those three hours doing literally anything else with my time.

Sigh. Everyone criticising the movie either 'missed out' or is somehow wrong or discredited in some way. I'm not calling you a fawning fanboy whose opinion can't possibly be taken credibly because of how you're glossing over massive plot holes, so just respect my thoughts and I'll respect yours. :)

In fairness if you can't understand some clear plot points of the movie, then I shouldn't have to respect your complaints about things you didn't understand or take any passive aggressive insults. I never said there weren't any plot holes, or that there weren't any flaws. There were, but I still loved it all the same.
    Morbert wrote: »
    Why didn't they go after Amelia to bring her back? Or why didn't they join Amelia?

That's the plan.

In fairness if you can't understand some clear plot points of the movie, then I shouldn't have to respect your complaints about things you didn't understand. I never said there weren't any plot holes, or that there weren't any flaws. There were, but I still loved it all the same.

Civil conversation usually goes along the lines of, if I missed something (and I've asked literally one question pertaining to that that you're hanging everything I've said on), you would then go onto tell me what I'd missed and maybe I'll have a newfound appreciation of it and we can both discuss it together.

You're taking the route of, "myeh, maybe you're just too dumb for Christopher Nolan movies," which is childish, ridiculous and fanboyish. What did I 'miss' about him sending himself the coordinates in the same scene he's supposed to be telling himself to stay? Or did you not picking up on that mind-numbingly thick plot point yourself?

Just suck it up...he made a stinker. I like Nolan, too, but man I also have eyes and better ways to spend three hours of my life than to watch him fail abysmally. I'm a huge Tarantino fan and I had to suck it up when he made Death Proof. If you make enough movies, you're gonna make a bad one. This is Nolan's. Don't cry about it.

Fact is, time will tell the true story of this movie. Give it a couple of years and you won't be singing about it. I'd be surprised if it was still doing well at the box office in a couple weeks when reviews and word of mouth come back too.

Civil conversation usually goes along the lines of, if I missed something (and I've asked literally one question pertaining to that that you're hanging everything I've said on), you would then go onto tell me what I'd missed and maybe I'll have a newfound appreciation of it and we can both discuss it together.

You're taking the route of, "myeh, maybe you're just too dumb for Christopher Nolan movies," which is childish, ridiculous and fanboyish.

Just suck it up...he made a stinker. I like Nolan, too, but man I also have eyes and better ways to spend three hours of my life than to watch him fail abysmally. I'm a huge Tarantino fan and I had to suck it up when he made Death Proof. If you make enough movies, you're gonna make a bad one. This is Nolan's. Don't cry about it.

Fact is, time will tell the true story of this movie. Give it a couple of years and you won't be singing about it.

You asked four questions, and I explained them all to you.. civil conversation, no? And can we please stop with the use of "fanboy", really hate that word. If it matters, I didn't care for Inception or the batman movies that much, only other Nolan movie I really really enjoyed is The Prestige.
    We obviously disagree massively here, and you're getting more hot headed than I would have expected from a simple comment, so we'll leave it there. Though I can guarantee I'll still like the movie in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

really enjoyed it. a big step up sci-fi wise and was an amalgamation of many films but it holds together really well imo.
    leggo wrote:

thats an extremely short-sighted viewpoint tbh which seems more of a personal opinion than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

You asked four questions, and I explained them all to you.. civil conversation, no? And can we please stop with the use of "fanboy", really hate that word.
    We obviously disagree massively here, and you're getting more hot headed than I would have thought, so we'll leave it there. Though I can guarantee I'll still like the movie in years to come.

To be fair your explanation of why coop sent the coordinates and the stay message was ridiculous.

You asked four questions, and I explained them all to you.. civil conversation, no? And can we please stop with the use of "fanboy", really hate that word.
    We obviously disagree massively here, and you're getting more hot headed than I would have thought, so we'll leave it there. Though I can guarantee I'll still like the movie in years to come.

But you're being a fanboy. You obviously appreciate Nolan's work (as do I) and are questioning the intelligence of someone who didn't enjoy this particular film, because obviously you can't fathom the possibility that they don't like something you don't. And your only response to my post was that one questioning my intelligence which, yes, is going to piss someone off.

I'm glad you liked it. I wish I had. Just maybe, if you find yourself in a dimension that's capable of manipulating time at some stage, remind yourself to post it as a reference point for a great movie a few years from now and see if people don't roll their eyes about it when you do.

darced wrote: »

And I've seen people list flaws that are pretty fundamental to what constitutes a good film yet still give it 9.5 but I guess bias works both ways like that .
    darced wrote: »

So based on this we both seem to be in agreement that the films reach exceeds its grasp ??? I think the only area we differ is many here are giving it a pass because a) its Nolan b) it looks phenomenal c) and it has lofty themes and I'm judging it on what it achieved .

Sidenote before I'm pidgeonholed as a Nolan hater , I joined this site 4 years ago purely to talk about Inception, a film i loved and defended up and down that thread , but the man is not infallible.

But you're being a fanboy. You obviously appreciate Nolan's work (as do I) and are questioning the intelligence of someone who didn't enjoy this particular film, because obviously you can't fathom the possibility that they don't like something you don't. And your only response to my post was that one questioning my intelligence which, yes, is going to piss someone off.

I'm glad you liked it. I wish I had. Just maybe, if you find yourself in a dimension that's capable of manipulating time at some stage, remind yourself to post it as a reference point for a great movie a few years from now and see if people don't roll their eyes about it when you do.

Check my post again, I put all my replies to your questions inside your spoilers. Tried to bold them, but it didn't work.

And as I said, the only other Nolan movie I really really liked was The Prestige.
    To be fair your explanation of why coop sent the coordinates and the stay message was ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? It's the way it is, the future and the past are set in stone, they always were. Can't ever be changed, what has happened once has happened an infinite number of times before and will happen an infinite number of times again, it's a pretty well known theory.

Cooper tried to change the past, like he had done an infinite number of times before, but came to the realization that time is on rails and can't be changed.

Check my post again, I put all my replies to your questions inside your spoilers. Tried to bold them, but it didn't work.

And as I said, the only other Nolan movie I really really liked was The Prestige.

So your big revelation, your trump card that proves everything I said to be untrue was...a shrewd bit of pedantry. That instead of moving the entire species to another planet, they'd moved them to another station orbiting a planet (i.e. effectively moved them to another planet - nothing about the plot or even the individual point you didn't even rebut changes)? Bravo, sir. That really changes everything.

I'm not trying to change your opinion about this. Like I said, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Your responses don't rebut a single thing I've said though. The time travel explanation is ridiculous as someone else pointed out (he never had ANY motivation to send the coordinates in any dimension of time), you backed up that the gut feeling Murph had was crap and totally convoluted for the sake of a dramatic reveal, brushed over the small matter of a major character death and then the above. Enjoy it all you want but, for all the crowing about me not understanding it, you're not defending it very well yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

Morbert wrote: »

My guess is:

Amelia is on the same timeline as Cooper. By the end of the film she had only just arrived on her planet, just as Cooper has only just arrived at Saturn. The slingshot around Gargantua cost them both a lot of time.

I also think Cooper is the only one who knows where she is, since information cannot be sent back to Earth through the wormhole. Murph knew Amelia was out there somewhere going ahead with plan B because she's a smart woman and it's a logical deduction. Hence she told Cooper to go find her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

He had to send the coordinates back to her because she had already received them from him in the past, he either didn't realise that the coordinates had come from him until after he sent the 'stay' message or he didn't want to face up to the fact that he couldn't change the past. Its an example of what is probably the most common plot device in time travel stories, Novikov's self-consistency principle. A similar type of causal loop is present in The Terminator, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement

So your big revelation, your trump card that proves everything I said to be untrue was...a shrewd bit of pedantry. That instead of moving the entire species to another planet, they'd moved them to another station orbiting a planet (i.e. effectively moved them to another planet - nothing about the plot or even the individual point you didn't even rebut changes)? Bravo, sir. That really changes everything.

I'm not trying to change your opinion about this. Like I said, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Your responses don't rebut a single thing I've said though. The time travel explanation is ridiculous as someone else pointed out (he never had ANY motivation to send the coordinates in any dimension of time), you backed up that the gut feeling Murph had was crap and totally convoluted for the sake of a dramatic reveal, brushed over the small matter of a major character death and then the above. Enjoy it all you want but, for all the crowing about me not understanding it, you're not defending it very well yourself.

Wasn't my trump card, you capitalized it and made a big deal out of it, I brushed over it in one sentence and then moved on to talking about relatively, which you conveniently ignored.

As for the time thing, Cooper enters the blackhole, he's dazed and confused. He then falls into the temporal time loop tesseract where he sees Murph crying on the bed, and himself preparing to go for the mission. A desperate man, he sends the STAY message. At which point he realizes he himself is the ghost, and that the past can not be changed, nor can the future so he needs to find a solution, that's his motivation.
    He then walks to an earlier spot in time, and sends himself the co-ordinates to the NASA. Every point in time is always happening, an infinite number of times, not just in a line.

I agree that Murph's sudden realization was poorly explained, and it would be my main fault with the film. I saw someone else say that she now has years of physics, and inter-dimensional travel knowledge learned and that led her to the connection that the ghost was her father communicating.
    If I remember right, at the start of the film she said that the ghost wasn't something she was scared of, but that it felt like someone trying to communicate with her, so that would be another way to explain the leap.
    But still poorly done.

I disagree that the son was a major character. Major to Cooper, maybe, but not to the movie as a whole. A short nod to his death wouldn't have hurt, but I don't think it hurt the movie with the fact that Cooper only focused on his daughter.

//

Nolan said in an interview that the worm hole which leads them to end up beside the three planets is closed when Cooper gets on the ship. Really really dislike this. It didn't mention it at all in the movie, and doesn't make any sense as to why it would happen. Just feels like something he decided to tack on at the end. I think I'll just ignore that he said it and go by what is shown on-screen instead.

Advertisement