Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

emo72 wrote: »
    i enjoyed it. i initially walked out going wow. but then i came into this thread and see holes being poked in it left, right and centre. you guys are ruining it for me:pac:
    It's funny walking out it was both a mixture of "wow!" and wanting to scream about what didn't work for me. I can kinda understand both sides on this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aidonin

I don't know how anyone can consider this a "masterpiece".

For a 3 hour movie there was nothing to hold you throughout! Nothing to look forward to, or characters that you could relate to or be surprised by. Near the end I was just wondering what ridiculous way they would finish this movie. I'm sure Nolan felt the same way making it, as it seems as though they made it up as they went along.
    The watch thing finished me.

Very disappointing. Gravity did the space thing ten times better, and kept you engaged from the get go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Just saw this tonight.

Great performances and cast all round, with a fantastic score by Hans Zimmer, but the movie was too long, and the final act felt muddled to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given we can expect many hundreds of posts nitpicking every detail of the film - it is a Christopher Nolan film thread in the film forum, after all - may as well do it without the inconvenience of spoiler tags.

SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT, NO NEED FOR TAGS. YE HAVE BEEN WARNED!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Aidonin wrote: »

Very disappointing. Gravity did the space thing ten times better, and kept you engaged from the get go.

Can't agree with this, I think gravity is a borefest in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

Absolutely top quality. 10/10 will see again.

I'm blown away by a lot of the bad reviews and criticisms in this thread. I hope the day never comes that I can sit through such a good film and be disappointed for such petty and pretentious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

waffleman wrote: »
    Saw this last night - not perfect but some of the scenes were amazing

my favourite was
    the spinning docking sequence
    . Was just blown away by it - if anyone knows the score track for this scene please post - ive went through the soundtrack but cant find it

Starts about 3 minutes in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Really can't understand the hate this seems to be getting. I thought it was a fantastic cinematic experience. Definitely the best film I have seen in years. Finally a film that brings you back to the old days of the wonder of space travel. Can't wait to see it again!

Well I think some Nolan Detractors on here were already hating even before they seen the film. So that was to be expected.

I agree, I just don't understand the dislike it's gotten from some critics saying its "Biggest let down this Year" and rubbish like that, they really should hand back in those film critic cards :pac:. the only stuff I thought probably didn't work was Jessica Chastin/Casey Affleck stuff but even then it was nitpicking. some people were coming out of this saying "wow" and some were even crying. It was mindblowing stuff especially once they got into space part (it blew Gravity out of the water). The stuff in space had me gasping with excitement just like when I Saw 2001 on the big screen. Matthew Mcconaughey knocked it out of the park again, what a actor this man is. Also Matt Damon deserves a lot of praise as the voice of the robot and as the mysterious Mann and Anne Hathaway was fine.

The travelling through the worm hole and the stuff on the planet ( Iceland looking amazing) was simply out of this world. The heart of the movie between Mcconaughey and his daughter was actually touching, the scene when Cooper realises 23 years have passed and the videos he watches back of his kids is heartbreaking stuff. For me after seen it twice now it's film of the year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Aidonin wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone can consider this a "masterpiece".

Erm cause everyone has a different opinion then you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looper007 wrote:
    I just don't understand the dislike it's gotten from some critics saying its "Biggest let down this Year" and rubbish like that, they really should hand back in those film critic cards
    Looper007 wrote:
    Erm cause everyone has a different opinion then you.

:pac:

Wow, Lenny Abrhamson has some strong words about this. His Twitter page is hilariously angry:

https://twitter.com/lennyabrahamson/status/531227284586659841

https://twitter.com/lennyabrahamson/status/531230518231433216

But, disgracefully, he was tweeting in the cinema :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

He's one of those people :mad: in fairness I wish I could got my phone out during the film to play a game or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Looper007 wrote: »
    Also Matt Damon deserves a lot of praise as the voice of the robot

I'd hold off on that praise. He did nothing to deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Matt Damon wasn't the robot, he was dr mann :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

My experience of this film can be summed up by me doing this around 15 times:

e31.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Wow, Lenny Abrhamson has some strong words about this. His Twitter page is hilariously angry:

I can't fathom that a film maker could have so little respect for film that he would tweet in the cinema. What a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I can't fathom that a film maker could have so little respect for film that he would tweet in the cinema. What a prick.

I'm not normally "that guy", but for a guy who takes cinema so seriously I'm taken back that he would be this rude to other cinema goers during a film.

Plus he can't talk, Frank was far more pretentious than Interstellar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The way I see it the moment you pull your phone out your opinion on whatever film you're watching is completely invalid. Either give the film (and the audience watching it) the respect it deserves or walk out and have your little rant in the lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,051 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the direction of the story in the last act baffled me.
    so, humanity or a evolution of it can build a black hole but the only way they can think to send the quantum data required to the time required - is by some convoluted manner involving a dad, his daughter, a book case and dust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

the direction of the story in the last act baffled me.

so, humanity or a evolution of it can build a black hole but the only way they can think to send the quantum data required to the time required - is by some convoluted manner involving a dad, his daughter, a book case and dust.

I don't think the film suggests the black hole was built, the wormhole was. Humanity at a certain point in the future had advanced enough to control quantum wormholes.

The black hole is a natural phenomenon created when large mass like a star collapses in on itself, and it is hypothesized that its the only realistic way of altering time due to the immense gravitional pull it creates. Time slows down the closer you get to the event horizon ( a point beyond which gravity is too strong for light to escape so you cant see anything but a black sphere ). Beyond that gravity increases exponentially until all known physics breaks down at a point referred to as a singularity. Understanding how gravity works at this level is speculative, hence the liberties taken with the possibilities of time travel in the film. Its highly unlikely any matter could survive going past the event horizon let alone come back out. The amount of gravity required to cause time to run so slow that each hour is the equivalent of seven years outside of its influence would crush a person and create a very different environment than that in the film.

Also, the heated gas around a black hole would be far too hot for the spacecraft to get close to ( millions of degrees ).

Once you start taking those liberties you can make up anything you like, like dust on a bookshelf from the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'm kind of speechless after that. I wouldn't even know where to start assessing it. I can only say that I was enthralled for nearly 3 hours. Such an experience!

One thing I'll say is that I'm in the minority as I loved the human aspect. I thought MMc, Chastain and Hathaway were particularly strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Nolan seems to be on to a winner, use terms like "relativity" and "singularity" enough times and people will assume the bits that dont make sense are due to them not knowing enough about physics rather than being due to plot-holes and ludicrous screenwriting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I'm not normally "that guy", but for a guy who takes cinema so seriously I'm taken back that he would be this rude to other cinema goers during a film.

Plus he can't talk, Frank was far more pretentious than Interstellar.

Frank is a great film! *smiles non-threateningly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

ceegee wrote: »
    Nolan seems to be on to a winner, use terms like "relativity" and "singularity" enough times and people will assume the bits that dont make sense are due to them not knowing enough about physics rather than being due to plot-holes and ludicrous screenwriting.

Here lies the problem. Sci-fi is all well and good. Sci-realism is another matter altogether, when it comes to blockbusters. For the most part, the market would be probably too niche for big budget realism. I'm guessing the studio made demands of Nolan and Kip Thorn that they would rather not have conceded.

I think Gravity was different because the science and story was more straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Saw it last night. Loved it.
    It made inception look like night at the museum. While I can see why people would not like the ending in particular I loved it. The space scenes were incredible, the mcconnaisance continues.

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I could have sworn William Fichtner was the voice of TARS, but imdb says otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

It was quite powerful at times emotionally, particularly anything involving Chastain and MMc seeing his grown up children. People always accuse Nolan of not being able to do emotion but he had it in spades here.

Also, while the story kind of lost me in the end you have to commend the balls of it. There were some mad ideas there but at least they were actually executed, as opposed to something like Prometheus that talked big but delivered little.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 theknightbg

What is the best cinema to watch Interstellar? Which one offers the best picture and sound quality? I am excited to see the movie and want to experience it the best way.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

On The Science of Interstellar http://ikjyotsinghkohli24.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/on-the-science-of-interstellar/ most of this goes over my head

Advertisement