Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

peteeeed wrote: »
    i really enjoyed it, slightly overlong but the soundtrack and visuals were wonderful
    one thing matt damon looked like he was being fed very well on that planet

Ya I remember thinking Fatt Damon at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

K-9 wrote: »
    Caine just didn't work for me in it, but I suppose maybe the character isn't supposed to really!

Yeah he sort of missed the mark a bit, and in ways it was like one too many times for the Caine / Nolan pairing. He didn't bother me in it, it was just that I'd have liked to have seen maybe someone else in the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

K-9 wrote: »
    Thought it was pretty good, only felt it dragged for maybe 10/15 minutes.

Some of the editing was brilliant to juxtapose scenes in space and on earth, cleverly knitted together.
    Probably an 8/10 overall.

I loved John Lithgow in it, very understated. Caine just didn't work for me in it, but I suppose maybe the character isn't supposed to really!

Agreed. He didn't seem to be really doing much....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I don't actually see the big problem with that though. Remember that Murph hasn't seen him in about 75 years, they are essentially strangers (her descendants are complete strangers to him). Frankly it would be far healthier for him to go off and find Hathaways' character (the only human left he knows) than to stay and dwell on all the time he missed with his kids.
    Murph was about to die of natural causes and she says to Cooper "no parent should ever see thier child die" this really made sense to me as a parent and had me in floods of tears, but she also gave him focus to go out and seek Brand as you said above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

For me, this section took the movie to another level. I was absolutely 1 enthralled, gripped, worried and delighted by that whole scene. I was expecting a deus ex machina but it wasn't that (not quite anyway) and I thought MMC's acting was fantastic here. The graphics were amazing (one fair use of CGI in the movie) and I pretty much had no idea what was going to happen. Was he going to be stuck there forever? Die? "Reset" and go back to the start?

The visuals stick with you - the bookshelves, the massive waves (awesome!), the robot turning into a spinning wheel. Cool stuff.

2 The "23 years later" part was *amazing* - the whole cinema, as I noted before, were entirely bazinga-ed by that part. It was like something from Star Trek TNG, one of their crazy what the hell's going on / is Riker really old / time is frozen episodes. I always thought they were cool, and Interstellar had a few nods to that I reckon.

1 Lucky you - I envy that, I wish I could have felt that way at the time of seeing it , because then it would have been the greatest film I had ever seen - ever - beating the Prestige.

2 - Agree that was pretty amazing and the hairs were up on my neck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Murph was about to die of natural causes and she says to Cooper "no parent should ever see thier child die" this really made sense to me as a parent and had me in floods of tears, but she also gave him focus to go out and seek Brand as you said above.

I also believe his ease at leaving his daughter relates to what I mentioned earlier about Cooper/Nolan being born 40 years before, or 40 years after his time. Cooper feels disconnected with this new world, there is nothing grounding him, and a large part of him probably is at odds with having an emotional connection with someone he barely knows. The only person he can relate to is Amelie (Anne Hathaway's character).

Anyone any opinions on the hand shake in the worm hole. It didn't add anything for me it also was strange that coop entered the hole in the future was able to shake hands with a girl he likes(blushes) in the past then reemerge back in the future. He should have copped a feel really would definitely get away with it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Anyone any opinions on the hand shake in the worm hole. It didn't add anything for me it also was strange that coop entered the hole in the future was able to shake hands with a girl he likes(blushes) in the past then reemerge back in the future. He should have copped a feel really would definitely get away with it lol.

If he had copped a feel would that of made the scene satisfying for you ? :D

Not sure how important the scene itself was, but it said to Cooper and the Audience was that he could communicate with people in the past. Its also interesting that the only two people (that I can remember) he communicated with where his daughter and brand, perhaps the two people he had the most affection for at the time (which ties in with the theory of the importance of love).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I thought it was brilliant, not as good as 2001 but far better than the sci-fi space films of the past 20 years like Contact, Prometheus, Gravity, Moon which are all okay and Sunshine which was pure rubbish.

The soundtrack was great although it was too loud when you couldn't hear the dialogue. I didn't find it overly sentimental, thought that aspect was handled just right. There weren't soppy and dragged out emotional scenes, and the acting was perfect in each of them.

The plot wasn't airtight but when you have wormholes and 5th dimensional tesseracts it's never going to be. Need to give it some bit of leeway. It wasn't mindblowing but it was still an interesting story.

Michael Caine should "go gently into the night" and retire from acting.

Drumpot wrote: »

Not sure how important the scene itself was, but it said to Cooper and the Audience was that he could communicate with people in the past. Its also interesting that the only two people (that I can remember) he communicated with where his daughter and brand, perhaps the two people he had the most affection for at the time (which ties in with the theory of the importance of love).

I just took it to show that two hours ago we thought it was aliens but now we see that it wasn't, it was Cooper all along!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There was also a scene with the line "the last thing a parent sees is their children", as it should be on the death bed. Probably has some huge significance that's lost on me!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

the_monkey wrote: »
    Funny , I agree with all your post except the Matt Damon part, I think he was fantastic, that speech he gave Coop when they went on their trek was amazing ...

Don't get me wrong, I thought he was good...a very unsettling performance similar to The Talented Mr Ripley. I just felt that maybe a lesser known actor would have suited the role better. Had Matt Damon been in it from the start I would have been OK and I could have adjusted to his character but the "Oh I didn't know he was in this" reaction brought me out of the movie a bit.

Drumpot wrote: »

No it would be ****ing hilarious tho imagine the struggle trying to convince hathaway of how its integral to the storyline, and it actually making more sense to Mccoughney, lol.

Was it not gravity alone that could cross time tho?

No it would be ****ing hilarious tho imagine the struggle trying to convince hathaway of how its integral to the storyline, and it actually making more sense to Mccoughney, lol.

Was it not gravity alone that could cross time tho?

I would love to hear that conversation between Nolan and Hathaway ;

Hathaway: Can you explain again why Cooper gropes Brand and what the significance of it actually is?
    Nolan: I like boobies

In terms of your gravity question, I will have to watch it again. I watched "edge of tomorrow" before going to see Intersteller and had already got wrangled up in a head melting discussion with a friend about time travel so cant even begin to try to understand the gravity theory . .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Thinking of seeing this some time this week. Read the review in the Times yesterday and it kind of sounded I'm imagining the film will be. An over long, syrupy, all American space opera with plenty of dodgy acting and dialogue...... Hopefully not though!

Agricola wrote: »
    Thinking of seeing this some time this week. Read the review in the Times yesterday and it kind of sounded I'm imagining the film will be. An over long, syrupy, all American space opera with plenty of dodgy acting and dialogue...... Hopefully not though!

No its not that at all. If you liked Inception, with a little bit of Contact and Gravity, Moon and AI thrown in, you'll like this.

If it was made by anyone else, it could've been how you describe it. But this is Christopher Nolan, its not gonna suck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I thought it was brilliant, not as good as 2001 but far better than the sci-fi space films of the past 20 years like Contact, Prometheus, Gravity, Moon which are all okay and Sunshine which was pure rubbish.

I'd rank those films thus

1. 2001

2. Contact

3. Moon

4. Sunshine

5. Interstellar

6. Gravity

7. Prometheus

1. 2001

2. Contact

3. Moon

4. Sunshine

5. Interstellar

6. Gravity

7. Prometheus

I enjoyed Gravity and 2001 the least of those 7. That's not to say I didn't enjoy them, I actually like all the movies on that list.

Gravity really didn't do it for me because I unfortunately viewed a special screening of a documentary about an Irishman who went up Everest and didn't get down alive right before going to the cinema. Its hard to watch actors acting in difficult circumstances after watching a factual documentary about human tragedy!

I must watch 2001 again as I when I originally watched it, I enjoyed it, but like Gravity , I couldn't understand all the excitement about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Where 2001, Sunshine and Gravity succeeded was in giving us a sense of how inhospitable space really is. So much so that its almost pointless talking of human exploration because the environment is so extreme and distances so mind boggling.

We never really got a sense of that from Interstellar. I think we could have without sacrificing the story too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

1. 2001

2. Contact

3. Moon

4. Sunshine

5. Interstellar

6. Gravity

7. Prometheus

I'd put Interstellar third, and Contact ahead of 2001. The ending of Sunshine was pretty bad, and I really liked Moon but it wasn't as adventurous as other space movies.
    ror_74 wrote: »
    Where 2001, Sunshine and Gravity succeeded was in giving us a sense of how inhospitable space really is. So much so that its almost pointless talking of human exploration because the environment is so extreme and distances so mind boggling.

We never really got a sense of that from Interstellar. I think we could have without sacrificing the story too much.

Why does it have to be inhospitable? Obviously it's pretty dangerous but I preferred Interstellar's and Contact's more awe inspiring look at space.

• Advertisement

ror_74 wrote: »

But Interstellar was less about "space" than those movies were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I had a long post written out that summed up my feelings on Interstellar but decided to just delete it. Here's a shortened version:

I love Christopher Nolan and all his movies up to this point but Interstellar is exactly what happens when a great director has been successful for so long that he no longer gets given any notes. This is a mediocre movie. There are some great visual and his ambition is huge but the writing is bad, they story isn't great, the acting is mediocre (McConaughey, yough Murph - good. Maaaat Damooonnnn, Caine - bad.), the score is not good no matter what anybody says (it's intrusive and uses the same themes over and over again) and I found the overall experience of watching it tedious. There is so much exposition but it's all in the wrong places for me. To me it feels like a cheesy disaster movie from the 90's/00's but with all the fun sucked out of it and a father/daughter love story ham-fisted in.

Overall it's a perfect example of how a good movie needs to have a good story and not rely on the directing style or high-concept ideas.

Here is a great summary of the plot I heard today
    "Insterstallar is about a girl whose Dad flies into a black hole and through the power of love travels back in time to his daughters bedroom to haunt an old wristwatch so that it taps out the secrets of the universe in Morse code."

I'd love to see Nolan and his brother given a great sci fi story to adapt for the screen, rather than continue writing their own.

I'm glad I got to see Interstellar the once, I appreciate the vision and the visuals but I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

I had the rattling subwoofer too, are we sure it wasn't for effect? Only happened every time they went through the wormhole/blackhole.

Very strange i had a rattling rear speaker aswell (VUE in liffey valley screen 1) Surely it cant of been deliberate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Quick question, I saw this in my local Odeon and whenever there was dialog while the score was playing I couldn't hear the dialog. Was this specific to this cinema or is there a problem with the sound mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

jones wrote: »
    Very strange i had a rattling rear speaker aswell (VUE in liffey valley screen 1) Surely it cant of been deliberate?

Sounds like these anomalies have been appearing in various locations...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Sounds like these anomalies have been appearing in various locations...

Are we in a wormhole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Why does it have to be inhospitable? Obviously it's pretty dangerous but I preferred Interstellar's and Contact's more awe inspiring look at space.
    But Interstellar was less about "space" than those movies were.

I guess it comes down to the story. As well as entertain, I thought Interstallar is supposed to stimulate a discussion about our future, something that will have to be addressed at some point. At least I got that impression before seeing it. It has to be inhospitable because it is so hostile for people to travel in. It would be best to portray it that way, like Sunshine and Gravity did, IMO. Otherwise its not being accurate and it cheapens itself unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Yeah this got me big time too. ALthough Im not a parent myself I really felt the relationship between murph and Cooper was the heart of this movie. Matthew Mc Conaughey and the girl who played young murph just seemed like father and daughter for real, the chemistry between the two of them was really powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

jones wrote: »

There is a rattling during that sequence. The ship is creaking, groaning, and rattling as they pass through the black-hole. To me, this is intentional and created an uneasy, uncomfortable experience to build tension.

Or am I mistaken? I was in Screen 1 in Liffey Valley as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Ya I remember thinking Fatt Damon at the time

When they go into 'hibernation' the body is maintained in the shape it is. Mann said that he didn't even set an awakening date the last time he put himself to sleep, so you'd have to assume it was for a very long time where the body remained unaffected. He could have been sleeping in reality for the majority of his time there.

It's not like he spent a couple of decades sitting on his hole stuffing his face waiting for the calvary!

Advertisement