Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Sherfin wrote: »

Ya, I'd imagine that's it. A coincidence; I also remember seeing this TVM many years ago and also trying to find it's title and details of it. It must have been fairly good to linger in the memory for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Sherfin wrote: »
    That's it, thanks! I knew I wasn't imagining it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

right, I hope this isn't too vague but I've been looking for the name of a movie In saw years ago.

From what I remember it was about a guy who built a town, became the sheriff and then I think the mayor. he was an old crank, think he had a Mexican wife and people didn't see eye to eye with him, they eventually tried to get rid of him, the town burnt down in the end.

The name was quite long, possibly the life and times of.......

it could be 15 years since it was on. any guesses? cannot get it on Google

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

Guill wrote: »
    right, I hope this isn't too vague but I've been looking for the name of a movie In saw years ago.

From what I remember it was about a guy who built a town, became the sheriff and then I think the mayor. he was an old crank, think he had a Mexican wife and people didn't see eye to eye with him, they eventually tried to get rid of him, the town burnt down in the end.

The name was quite long, possibly the life and times of.......

it could be 15 years since it was on. any guesses? cannot get it on Google

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

MfMan wrote: »
    Ya, I'd imagine that's it. A coincidence; I also remember seeing this TVM many years ago and also trying to find it's title and details of it. It must have been fairly good to linger in the memory for so long.

It got decent ratings from (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065007/) but awful ratings from (http://www.allmovie.com/movie/sole-survivor-v129075). That's odd.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Those ABC Movie of The Week TVMs set a high standard. There are some great ones

Crowhaven Farm
    A Little Game
    Deadly Dream
    Haunts Of The Very Rich
    When Michael Calls
    Isn't It Shocking
    The Girl Most Likely To
    Satan's Triangle
    Trilogy Of Terror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Can anyone think of the name of an Australian cop show that aired on TV3 when they launched in the late 90s? I think it was in Friday nights and the cop was a stereotypical male cop with family/relationship problems, quick witted and he may have lived above a newsagent or launderette or something.

Appreciate that this is a film thread but didn't see a similar one in TV...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Those ABC Movie of The Week TVMs set a high standard. There are some great ones

Crowhaven Farm
    A Little Game
    Deadly Dream
    Haunts Of The Very Rich
    When Michael Calls
    Isn't It Shocking
    The Girl Most Likely To
    Satan's Triangle
    Trilogy Of Terror

THE NORLISS TAPES
    KILLDOZER
    DEAD OF NIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Ageyev wrote: »
    Can anyone think of the name of an Australian cop show that aired on TV3 when they launched in the late 90s? I think it was in Friday nights and the cop was a stereotypical male cop with family/relationship problems, quick witted and he may have lived above a newsagent or launderette or something.

Appreciate that this is a film thread but didn't see a similar one in TV...

Wasn't Water Rats or Stingers was it?
    Can't think of any other ones off hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ianhmoore

AmberBlaze wrote: »
    Hey, any help would be greatly appreciated here. I saw this movie when I was in the 4-5 grade I believe which would be around 2005-2006 ish? The movie was actually shown in school but the scenes I remember have bothered me for a long time. I can't remember if this older lady had ordered the boy or it was an accident he was sent to her but she opened this big metal barrel and there was a boy sitting inside. I can't remember clearly but I think he was slimy or not quite responsive yet? Almost like he was "Just Born".... not like he was a regular kid locked in the barrel. I believe she taught him everything he needed to know and in the end the government tried to take him back but she got to keep him? If anyone could help it would be great because I would like to watch it again and try to understand why they showed it to us at 10ish years old :/ it seems weird now and slightly disturbing.....

I remember that movie, supposed to be a Family movie, I just remember it because the dad from ALF was in it.... The name of the movie is KONRAD

• Advertisement

I really need help identifying a movie. It has plagued me for pretty much all my life because at the very beginning of my life is when I saw it. It had to have been made anywhere from 1980-1990, give or take, more early than later in that general time, possibly late 70s. I can describe to you some of the scenes in this movie. I know nothing about it! Like the actors or a name or anything. The language was in English so I assume it is an American/Hollywood movie. Not sure if it was a TV movie or if it came to video or what but I imagine as a kid watching endless hours of TV it came out on TV or aired on TV and such. Now to some scenes in the movie. Oh yeah, for that time period, this was a pretty futuristic-esque type movie for, again, that time period. Not futuristic like we would think today, in that sense, but for that time period. It seemed like in this movie there were other worlds conversing and such, maybe coming together for some big event or something. (Think the series "V" but not alien invasion type) Well one of the scenes the evildoers had a man naked or at least in underwear on a table in a room tied down and there was an illusion (to best describe) of ants or bugs covering his entire body (they were not doing anything like biting or eating him, I don't think) but to the victim it was very real and a torture type scare tactic. but I remember the scene vividly that the person in control of the "torture" turned it on and off like a light switch. That is one scene I recall. Another scene, there is a character that is a male that I do not think can talk, he has a big bird with him, I think, on his shoulder or in his hand like a bird guy, could have been an eagle, not sure, do not remember the bird, he has long black hair and at one scene he draws something in the sand with his finger to illustrate something to some people and I remember some "mean" type character, bullyish if you will, messes up the sand of what he was drawing with his finger as if to say you are stupid. This character that drew in the sand, may have had some feather type thing in his hair. I thought this movie was called The Last Starfighter, as the name seems like it would have been fitting but that was definitely not the movie as I watched that as a means of elimination. I know two vague scenes from a movie is hard to figure out but I hope someone out there can cure this plague for me. Another thing, this movie would definitely be Science Fiction or Fantasy.
    ... it was a movie called SolarBabies. Guy with the feather in his hair had a pet owl, used to meditate by doing handstands in a hand traced triangle or something.

Autonomous wrote: »
    I seen a trailer but cannot remember the film or find it, please help.
    Its a "end of world" genre, the earth is been blasted by the sun. People have 12 hrs or so left till the earth rotates and the sun will scorch them.
    A man helps a lost child during the film...any ideas? Thanks
    Solar Crises? It was an Alan Smithee film when I rented it on VHS... I just remember Charlton Heston being in it.

Its a film set in a new housing estate where strange things start happening to the people living in the houses and then we discover that the housing estate was built on an indian burial ground.

The main characters daughter dies and there is a scene where he is in the hospital crying at her bedside roaring take me instead .

I saw it on TV3 about 12 or 13 years ago and it feels like it may have been a straight to TV movie.

Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive. I think the daughter got cancer or something in the house and was dying. The toilets also kept flushing themselves. House was built on a graveyard.

These two old movies I both saw as a 6 years old back in 1993 have popped into my head recently and I'm wondering can anyone name them
    1. Horror movie from the 80s about a killer monkey that goes on a killing rampage around an apartment block
    2. Horror movie again from 80s maybe even early 90s about a couple who live In a large castle and soon find it be haunted by blue skeleton ghosts and the an evil sorceror and the castle also has a rollercoaster which at the end has a mouth that kills them by grinding them up until only their bones remain can't remember anything else

Was the 2nd move Frauds with Phil Collins? He was an insurance investigator or something, but his house was filled with Carnival rides that were deadly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

ianhmoore wrote: »
    Was the 2nd move Frauds with Phil Collins? He was an insurance investigator or something, but his house was filled with Carnival rides that were deadly.

I seem to vaugely remember seeing the trailer for that,.Was it set in Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

OK, here's a tough one...

I remember a film or a TV show that started with a van with a group of people in it parking beside a car or some other vehicle. In the van there is a contraption of some sort, called the "wither machine". They use this machine to...um...wither somebody in the car.

This was something I saw in the mid 80's. So, it's either of that vintage or late 60's/70's.

Early 70s American crime movie,I suppose it could be called Blaxpoitatition in that the main character was black and it had a kind of funky soundtrack.The lead actor had a strong visual resemblence to Richard Roundtree of Shaft but it wasn't him.Guy gets kicked out of the army for punching an officer,there was something with him stepping on a mine during training and narrowly escaping.He arrives in a city by bus but from almost the moment he gets off it hes mugged and all his money stolen.Theres a scene where hes contemplating eating a burger he sees in a bin but is ashamed when a homeless guy sees him looking at it.He then gets employed by the Mafia I think as a flunky.He then rises to become a hitman and somehow he
    falls out with the mafia family hes employed by and kills off the sons one by one.One of them he stabs on a yaught and throws him overboard.He has an affair with the girlfriend of this guy but at the end they are on a beach and they kiss.She then pulls out a gun and shoots him and says that was for killing her man.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Early 70s American crime movie,I suppose it could be called Blaxpoitatition in that the main character was black and it had a kind of funky soundtrack.The lead actor had a strong visual resemblence to Richard Roundtree of Shaft but it wasn't him.Guy gets kicked out of the army for punching an officer,there was something with him stepping on a mine during training and narrowly escaping.He arrives in a city by bus but from almost the moment he gets off it hes mugged and all his money stolen.Theres a scene where hes contemplating eating a burger he sees in a bin but is ashamed when a homeless guy sees him looking at it.He then gets employed by the Mafia I think as a flunky.He then rises to become a hitman and somehow he
    falls out with the mafia family hes employed by and kills off the sons one by one.One of them he stabs on a yaught and throws him overboard.He has an affair with the girlfriend of this guy but at the end they are on a beach and they kiss.She then pulls out a gun and shoots him and says that was for killing her man.

It's Mean Johnny Barrows

Wow that was quick,thats it alright.

Tony EH wrote: »
    OK, here's a tough one...

I remember a film or a TV show that started with a van with a group of people in it parking beside a car or some other vehicle. In the van there is a contraption of some sort, called the "wither machine". They use this machine to...um...wither somebody in the car.

This was something I saw in the mid 80's. So, it's either of that vintage or late 60's/70's.

Remember seeing something like this; a 'criminal mastermind' employed a female gang to steal a laser thingie that would dessicate all whom it was pointed at. They delivered it to him at a remote desert location, loaded it into his van, took the pay off and drove away. The criminal then turned it on the gang, 'withered' them all and recouped his money. Think the main good guy in it was something like TR Sloan or JT Sloan or something - open to correction though. That ring a bell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, that's sounds about right. Not too sure about the female gang stuff, but you're bang on about the machine and I do seem to remember that desert location.

*edit*

Et voila:

http://mysteryfile.com/blog/?p=14167

Cheers MfMan...you have no idea how long that's been rattling around in my head.

Another movie that I saw years ago that I'm trying to remember.It was I think Scandinavian and dubbed into English.I rented it out on video because it sounded like a slasher flick but it was gore free and more of a psychological thriller.Anyway the story was about a convicted murderer whos locked up in an asylum for the criminally insane,its by the sea in a really remote coastal area.He manages to get out of his cell at night and murder people he has a grudge against.I think he was using a piece of a clock that he had hidden in his cell to pick the lock or something,once he'd commited the murders hed return to his cell and no one could prove it was him.It was I'd say from the late 60s or 70s and it had a one word title that was something similar to Maniac or Psychopath(not those obviously but similar meaning).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Tony EH wrote: »

A QM Production

Sadly without Hank Sims saying "Death Ray 2000":

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jane_ohara

Looking for a movie about a bank robbery. Saw it a few years ago on TV3/RTE. A group of mastermind criminals break into a bank in New York and hold a group of people hostage in there. The leader of the criminal group is talking to a detective thats outside the building the whole time. They're trying to break into a vault and they do get in. I think they come to some sort of arrangement with the detective so they get out and get the money without being arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭brevity

jane_ohara wrote: »
    Looking for a movie about a bank robbery. Saw it a few years ago on TV3/RTE. A group of mastermind criminals break into a bank in New York and hold a group of people hostage in there. The leader of the criminal group is talking to a detective thats outside the building the whole time. They're trying to break into a vault and they do get in. I think they come to some sort of arrangement with the detective so they get out and get the money without being arrested.

Inside Man?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

brevity wrote: »

Definitely wasn't Inside Man as they didn't take money out. They didn't negotiate with the detective to allow them to bring the money out. Instead, they found a deposit box of what they wanted and then hid a man behind the wall with diamonds.

Maybe that's what he was looking for?

I don't recall other movies based in NY where they have robbed a bank and gotten out with the cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Definitely wasn't Inside Man as they didn't take money out. They didn't negotiate with the detective to allow them to bring the money out. Instead, they found a deposit box of what they wanted and then hid a man behind the wall with diamonds.

Maybe that's what he was looking for?

I don't recall other movies based in NY where they have robbed a bank and gotten out with the cash?

Are you sure what your describing is exactly what happens in inside man.

Old B&W film, in English but maybe set in a small European town. An older, mute man lives on his own, perhaps a cobbler or something. Whenever a funeral passes his house, he stands at the door and removes his beret in respect. One day a woman and her child (perhaps daughter) come to stay. The mother is a bit of a harridan, at one point demanding money of him. He rather takes to the child, and brings her down to the cellar at night, showing her a pet mouse who he gives a bit of bread to. Later, for some reason, the villagers think that he has died, drowned in a stream maybe, and hold a funeral cortege for him. He stands at the door and removes his cap, not realising that it's for him.

Saw it many, many years ago, and I'd say it dates from at least the 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

MfMan wrote: »
    a funeral cortege for him. He stands at the door and removes his cap, not realising that it's for him.

Gigot, with Jackie Gleason, 1962.

• Advertisement

Gigot, with Jackie Gleason, 1962.

Legend!
    Could have sworn it was older.

Advertisement